Toby Greene - Nearest the pin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Toby Greene - Nearest the pin

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 1:40pm...Gil thinks a 3 week suspension sends the wrong message to the feral football leagues, might give them ideas.
Which it does. Having umpired over 300 games there was nothing more certain that we would see copy cat behaviour in the junior leagues after TV showcasing. And that was years ago when there was far less media attention on such matters. His almost complete lack of remorse was the most galling thing - almost as if the umpire shouldn't have got in the way! The more I watched the video, the more I realised that he did it deliberately.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:04pm
Wayne42 wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 1:40pm...Gil thinks a 3 week suspension sends the wrong message to the feral football leagues, might give them ideas.
Which it does. Having umpired over 300 games there was nothing more certain that we would see copy cat behaviour in the junior leagues after TV showcasing. And that was years ago when there was far less media attention on such matters. His almost complete lack of remorse was the most galling thing - almost as if the umpire shouldn't have got in the way! The more I watched the video, the more I realised that he did it deliberately.
It literally took one week until the kids started appealing for deliberately rushed points and deliberate Out of Bounds

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Interesting (or not) that the ones who complain about the quality of umpires the most are also the ones that support the verbal and physical abuse of umpires by supporters and players.

Because that helps attract more quality people to the job… :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:37pm Interesting (or not) that the ones who complain about the quality of umpires the most are also the ones that support the verbal and physical abuse of umpires by supporters and players.

That is an extremely offensive ,and for me, a totally insulting post.

Typical of you though.

The maggot originally didn't think that Toby's contact was anything but accidental.
And not warranting of a report. Appears someone changed his mind and the pile on from the press was outrageous.

If someone assaulted an umpire I would be in the line complaining. :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:37pm Interesting (or not) that the ones who complain about the quality of umpires the most are also the ones that support the verbal and physical abuse of umpires by supporters and players.

That's a load of crap. An extremely cheap shot and a very poor defence of those doing a hard job. Not even close.

What Greene did was not deliberate (intent), it was simply the act of someone who did not think.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:46pm

That's a load of crap. An extremely cheap shot and a very poor defence of those doing a hard job. Not even close.

What Greene did was not deliberate (intent), it was simply the act of someone who did not think.
Not thinking, or just too ignorant and arrogant to care what he does.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Correct.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:49pm

Nah, I know the family, definitely not either of those. Oh, in my opinion, of course.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:53pm

Nah, I know the family, definitely not either of those. Oh, in my opinion, of course.
Oh, he comes from a good family. He'll be right then.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:57pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:53pm

Oh, he comes from a good family. He'll be right then.
Definitely not saying that, simply know their family is not arrogant or that stupid.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Can't it be both? Just looking at it for me it seems quite obvious it's deliberate. He walks into him the same way Richard Ashcroft does in that Verve film clip.

Lucky to get off with three IMO and that's the type of thing that should definitely be dealt with harshly.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 8:08pm

Can't it be both? Just looking at it for me it seems quite obvious it's deliberate. He walks into him the same way Richard Ashcroft does in that Verve film clip.

Lucky to get off with three IMO and that's the type of thing that should definitely be dealt with harshly.
roskilde, the load of crap I disagreed with was in relation to "the ones who complain about the quality of umpires the most are also the ones..."

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 7:42pm

That is an extremely offensive ,and for me, a totally insulting post.

Typical of you though.

The maggot originally didn't think that Toby's contact was anything but accidental.
And not warranting of a report. Appears someone changed his mind and the pile on from the press was outrageous.

If someone assaulted an umpire I would be in the line complaining. :roll:
As usual, thanks for proving me right again Saynta 👍

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 9:35pm

roskilde, the load of crap I disagreed with was in relation to "the ones who complain about the quality of umpires the most are also the ones..."
Got you. I think I lost the thread of the convo.

And this is also mine:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:28pm

Thank god roskilde because I had no idea about Richard Ashcroft & Verve 🤔

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I have been on this Earth for a while and managed to never run in to someone the way Toby did to the ump. Especially someone I was talking to and looking at.

Are we seriously going to pretend he didn’t mean it?

You don’t touch an umpire, that’s one of the first rules any player at any level learns.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:33pm
roskilde wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:28pm

Thank god roskilde because I had no idea about Richard Ashcroft & Verve 🤔

Newly released footage of the Toby Greene incident:

And this is also mine:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:34pm

I have been on this Earth for a while and managed to never run in to someone the way Toby did to the ump. Especially someone I was talking to and looking at.

You don’t touch an umpire, that’s one of the first rules any player at any level learns.
Curiosity has me asking what the hell was the umpire doing in the middle of players as they walked to their huddle? Why wasn't he walking to or at his umpire huddle?

Yes, in my own fog I've walked into / through people as I've headed to the destination I needed to be at.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Williams got 9 weeks for lesser contact (which the umpire didn’t report at the time either) so I would say Toby would be considering himself lucky right now.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:46pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:34pm

Curiosity has me asking what the hell was the umpire doing in the middle of players as they walked to their huddle? Why wasn't he walking to or at his umpire huddle?

Yes, in my own fog I've walked into / through people as I've headed to the destination I needed to be at.
From the short clip it seems the ump is standing still the whole time talking with Toby and the GWS players come towards him.

In any case, it’s irrelevant. If they want to change the rules in regards to player/umpire communication then that’s another issue.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Correct TD, in my opinion that is the issue and is what should be changed.

Too many grey areas, this is one, the communication & contact between players & umpires should be black & white.

Just you decision umpire, only the decision, no discussion, no communication, just your decision!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He walked through someone he could clearly see and he also thought to chat as he did it.
It was not demonstrative, but it appeared to be threatening, intimidating and disrespectful. He should have stopped and apologised, he didn't.
That someone was an umpire. Someone he cannot do that to without severe penalty. 3 weeks isn't severe.
I'm not sure what he was thinking but I dont care. If he bumped me like that and didn't apologise, I'd knock him on his arse.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 11:41pm He walked through someone he could clearly see and he also thought to chat as he did it.
It was not demonstrative, but it appeared to be threatening, intimidating and disrespectful. He should have stopped and apologised, he didn't.
That someone was an umpire. Someone he cannot do that to without severe penalty. 3 weeks isn't severe.
I'm not sure what he was thinking but I dont care. If he bumped me like that and didn't apologise, I'd knock him on his arse.
Again CQ, I'm not arguing the look, that's terrible. You are saying he should be hung on "appearance"? It's that aspect I cannot be convinced of. The "victim" had no issue so why should we feel the need to further hang him?

It should never have happened. He should never have believed he could talk to an umpire. The umpire should never engage in dialogue with a player, full stop & vice versa.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 11:53pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 11:41pm He walked through someone he could clearly see and he also thought to chat as he did it.
Again CQ, I'm not arguing the look, that's terrible. You are saying he should be hung on "appearance"? It's that aspect I cannot be convinced of. The "victim" had no issue so why should we feel the need to further hang him?

It should never have happened. He should never have believed he could talk to an umpire. The umpire should never engage in dialogue with a player, full stop & vice versa.
The umpires are in control of the field till the end of the game. They can talk to or disclipline whoever they like, its live action. If they don't report or take action during a game, well, we have the MRO.
How me or the umpire feels about what happened, personally, doesn't matter. Im not easily intimidated, maybe the ump isn't easier.
A breach of the rules happened, a potentially very serious breach. One that could most certainly taint the public image of the AFL and the safety of its employees and the success of all its affiliates. .
Throw the book at him.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 12:25am
Throw the book at him.
They did - but unfortunately they could only find the abridged version.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!