Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 9f8ef01645

"Greater Western Sydney is seriously considering using its first selection on Melbourne’s Sudanese next generation academy player Mac Andrew in what is shaping as the Demons’ gift to the competition.

But the Giants could end up trading their No.2 overall pick to a rival to shuffle several spots back down the order if it’s confident it could still secure Andrew, with Richmond and Geelong chasing an early draft pick.

The Demons remain furious they cannot pick 200cm ruck-forward Andrew despite a massive investment in a player rivals concede has been fast-tracked because of Melbourne’s support.

As an athletic tall who is still several years from emerging as a regular senior player, clubs believe he has the same repeat efforts and sparkling gifts Melbourne ruckman Luke Jackson has brought to the competition.

The Dandenong Stingrays ruckman was born in Egypt to South Sudanese parents and, before this year, was not part of the Vic Country teams.

As part of new rule tweaks, clubs cannot match bids for NGA players if rivals bid on them within the first 20 selections of the draft, with that rule to be expanded to the first 40 selections next year.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who was an NGA product last year, was always going to be a star of the competition, despite the Dogs’ support, but rivals say the Demons’ work on Andrew since he was 14 has made him the player he will become.

GWS traded for Collingwood’s first-round pick last year and, at best, thought the selection could end up around No.10.

Instead, as the Pies won just two of their last nine games, the Giants pulled off one of the great trade heists to secure the No.2 overall pick, which will shuffle to pick four after a pair of father-sons are taken off the board.

Rivals believe Andrew could go between picks 5-10 so, if rivals like Richmond are determined to secure that GWS pick, the Giants would be open to offers.

He is unlikely to be on the draft board when the Giants use their next selection at No.13.

Geelong is another club keen to secure an early selection by trading a package of its selections for a top-10 pick.

For a GWS side with three rucks in Braydon Preuss, Kieren Briggs and Matt Flynn, the decision to draft Andrew would come knowing there was no rush for him to make an instant impact.

Andrew’s manager is the brother of Norm Smith medallist Christian Petracca.

Andrew is managed by Hemisphere’s Julian Petracca, brother of the Melbourne Norm Smith Medallist Christian.

Hemisphere Management Group has had an excellent draft lead-in, securing Andrew, Northern Knights midfielder Josh Ward, Vic Country key defender Josh Gibcus and Sandringham Dragons midfielder Finn Callaghan.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said the sky was the limit for Andrew.

“He emerged from nowhere and, within a couple of weeks, we put him into the Australian Under 18 team and he played against Geelong’s VFL side over the Anzac Day weekend,” he said.

“And he did well in that game, some of his athletic movement for a kid of 200cm who is quick, can mark it … People just said, ‘Wow, how big is the upside of this guy?’.

“He played quite well in the Vic Metro v Vic Country game in July, he did some exceptional things in the air.

“He is a very balanced young fellow, communicates well in the team, loves the game.

“He is certainly in love with footy and he’s very advanced, so it’s a conundrum for Melbourne.”

Saints58
Club Player

Would he still be around by our pick which will now be 11 I think.
If he is we would be criminal not to get him, I understand Melbourne frustrations but that is how it works the Bulldogs got the best of the system last year.
Listening to sos and Matt Rendell on the saints they say we have a big upside but lack genuine kPB who are big if Dougal goes down we are buggered

Saints58
Club Player

Would he still be around by our pick which will now be 11 I think.
If he is we would be criminal not to get him, I understand Melbourne frustrations but that is how it works the Bulldogs got the best of the system last year.
Listening to sos and Matt Rendell on the saints they say we have a big upside but lack genuine kPB who are big if Dougal goes down we are buggered

Saint 58
Club Player

Would love Mac Andrew but a genuine mid first !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If Talia does not cost much, surely he's the ideal back up on a contract that is incentivised on senior appearances. That's if we can't prise a Clurey for bugger all. We cannot afford to go into draft pick debt at the moment.

Saints58
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 02 Oct 2021 7:53pm If Talia does not cost much, surely he's the ideal back up on a contract that is incentivised on senior appearances. That's if we can't prise a Clurey for bugger all. We cannot afford to go into draft pick debt at the moment.
Did you hear Matt Rendell and sos on the saints they said we are a good team but our major weakness is a KPB we don't have anyone of height who can play on the 200cm+ guys so we need a Talia who is I think 196cm Clurey is 193cm and still contracted so would be expensive, we have Battle at 193cm and wilkie 191cm Joyce 194cm all play in that position nobody around 196cm+.
They said if Dougal goes down we are in real trouble it would be a shame if we get close and we falter due to lack of KPP that we could even rookie.
Here a few options
Lewis Young Bulldogs 25 games played as a KPB/KPF/Ruck 22 years old 201cm 100kg with no contract he is looking at his options outside bulldogs.

Michael Hartley 49 games delisted from Hawks he is a KPB 199cm 100kg Brendan Goddard said he played really well on hawkings and bet him also did a number on lynch of Richmond. His stats are

Disposals Kicks H/B Tackles Spoils Intercept Marks
Elite Elite Elite Above average Average Below average

There is a player in the SANFL who plays for Central District
His name is Leek Aleer 20years old 196cm 84kg KPB intercept mark and has some toe. Cal Twomey had him in his best 22 of mature age prospects
We could pick up at least 2 of these really cheap and it would solve a big hole in Defence.
Last edited by Saints58 on Sun 03 Oct 2021 12:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

minneapolis
Club Player

Mac Andrew is a great name for a Sudanese fellow.

I suspect his family is from the Christian south. Mac short for McKenzie?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mids, mids and more mids at the draft please. Just watched the replay of the GF and, particularly in that 3rd quarter where they came back and took the game away from the Dogs, it was Petracca, Oliver and Viney who were the prime movers.

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 03 Oct 2021 5:30pm Mids, mids and more mids at the draft please. Just watched the replay of the GF and, particularly in that 3rd quarter where they came back and took the game away from the Dogs, it was Petracca, Oliver and Viney who were the prime movers.
NEVER
At pick 11 you are lucky if you get the 5th best mid in the cohort.
Keep doing that and you may be lucky to play finals.

So many other teams have mids who went top 10.
Walsh went at no1
Dustin Martin went at pick 4, but he had wonderful family NOT.
Bontempelli went at 4, Petracca went at No2, should have been No1 except for a bunch of clowns masquerading as recruiters.

You only get those picks when you bottom out.
But if you pick Bontempelli with your no 3 pick and follow it up with Petracca at no1 pick then you win premierships.
You need competent recruiters AND luck.

If you allow clowns to run the recruiting show when you bottom out you are doomed to go through a generational cycle before getting another crack at a premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Rumour on BF trade site -

I'm hearing the real reason why McPherson is getting dumped .
The Suns want the $$$$$ in its cap as Josh Battle wants out St.Kilda and wants to go to the Suns.

If true pick 22 & perhaps Will Brodie for Battle would be nice OR maybe we can wedge into the Daniel McPherson trade for pick 19? If we delist both Lonie & Kent that would cover McPherson's contract $$$ surely?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 10:32am Rumour on BF trade site -

The Suns want the $$$$$ in its cap as Josh Battle wants out St.Kilda and wants to go to the Suns.

If true pick 22 & perhaps Will Brodie for Battle would be nice OR maybe we can wedge into the Daniel McPherson trade for pick 19? If we delist both Lonie & Kent that would cover McPherson's contract $$$ surely?
I would treat any rumour on Big Shitty with the utter contempt it deserves.

diddley
Club Player

Pick 22 and Will Brodie in a trade for Josh Battle? Wow.

-how highly do you rate Josh Battle?
-how low do you rate Will Brodie?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it, but no. Not gonna happen.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 11:02am

Pick 22 and Will Brodie in a trade for Josh Battle? Wow.

-how highly do you rate Josh Battle?
-how low do you rate Will Brodie?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it, but no. Not gonna happen.
Any other club than GCS I would agree, but they are in such a bind with their list and such poor managers anything is possible.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is Will Brodie better than Patrick Naish ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Lewis Young from Bulldogs has requested a trade to Carlton, they should be able to fit him in to their Salary Cap. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I would say it's just Big Footy shite, because...

As flagged earlier this morning by Foxfooty.com.au, Gold Coast and Collingwood are set to complete a pick swap.

The Suns will send picks 22, 46 and 58 in exchange for the Magpies’ future second and third-round picks.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jonathon Ceglar is looking for a new club as Hawthorn’s rebuild gathers steam.

Ceglar is contracted until the end of 2022 – the last year of a three-year deal signed in 2019 - but has been asked to explore opportunities elsewhere.
31 in Feb 22, 204cm, 94kg, someone will grab him if the price is right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thanks but no thanks. Will he help us win a premiership.?...no.

No more hacks looking for a retirement village.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

This may come in handy when the draft picks start being traded -

https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Do we think we will get anyone in the trade period?

Looks like we might have a quiet year....maybe just lose Dunstan and possibly Long and then go to the draft.

Anyone prepared to have a punt?

Hopefully Ladhams somehow, but who will be our CHB in 2022? Josh Battle?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's 3rd and 4th round picks have already been demoted 3 places due to free agency compensation.
Now picks 49 (287points) & 67 (69points) total 356 points
Those would allow a match for pick 40 without damaging next years first rounder.
St Kilda needs to trade in 347 more points to be able to match a pick 21 (878 points but 703 points with discount) for our NGA player Windhager
That's pick 45.
Come on Essendon you know you want Long and Dunstan.

Our pick 9 will be demoted to pick 11 on the night because of Collingwood matching for Daicos and the Dogs matching for Darcy.
We can all hope that North have sufficient IQ to make them pay full price by naming them at No1.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who knows what will happen on draft night but so far, North is hinting they want Horne Francis to be the No.1 pick.
GWS though are hinting they want to be the spoiler at pick 2, especially for Darcy.

diddley
Club Player

ace wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 2:32pm Those would allow a match for pick 40 without damaging next years first rounder.
I was under the impression that when you match in the second and forthcoming rounds without enough points, that the deficit comes from the same round the next year, not your first pick?

If it is correct, and we pick up the 2 NGA kids after pick 20, we would only be damaging 2022’s second third or fourth rounds.

Anyone know which is correct?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 3:02pm Who knows what will happen on draft night but so far, North is hinting they want Horne Francis to be the No.1 pick.
GWS though are hinting they want to be the spoiler at pick 2, especially for Darcy.
North better nominate Daicos as he's clearly the #1, if they don't then this is simply another aspect of the AFL that's compromised.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood and Gold Coast have officially completed a major pick swap involving eight selections across the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

The deal sees the Magpies gain picks 22, 46, 58, 79 and a future fourth-rounder, sending the Suns their future second, third and fourth-round picks.