Delisted Free Agents

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delisted Free Agents

realdeal wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 7:20pm
saynta wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 5:52pm Tigers have delisted Biggy with a promise to rookie him.

Those pricks stole him from us so now would serve them right if we stole him back.
Not sure they stole him off us, we picked Brynes 2 picks before Tigers picked Nyuon and judging it so far we picked correctly..
He did his knee (ACL) in his first year and missed most of this season. IMO clubs should be able to just relist players to rookie lists without having to delist them and have them go back into drafts. The AFPA pushed that, but I dont see how its in the players interest now. When they are out of contract players very rarely move when this occurs.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 5:52pm Tigers have delisted Biggy with a promise to rookie him.

Those pricks stole him from us so now would serve them right if we stole him back.
Not sure they stole him off us, we picked Brynes 2 picks before Tigers picked Nyuon and judging it so far we picked correctly..
They didn’t steal him, they bid on him. We could have matched it with the pick we had remaining but chose not to. We took Connolly instead.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Being a rookie doesn't hurt him. It changes literally nothing except how much salary goes towards the cap.

Collingwood kept Miochek there for years.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
amusingname
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 8:34pm

They didn’t steal him, they bid on him. We could have matched it with the pick we had remaining but chose not to. We took Connolly instead.
Yep, complete rewrite of history there. Literally had the chance to take him by matching a relatively late pick and decided against it. Baffling how anyone can consider him stolen from us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He was our NGA player. We were always going to grab him but the tigers jumped earlier than we expected and for what ever reason we failed to overrule them.

So I say they stole him.

Grab him back.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 4:46pm My delisted FA priority list. Let's say we take three, which would fit with our likely delistings/draft strategy (Pick 9 + Windhager & Owens).

1. Blake Schlensog - Obviously lots of clubs after him, not sure we can get him but certainly have to try.
2. Jarrod Brander - 195cm U18 All Australian in 2017, went at pick 13, has done the apprenticeship. Slow start to AFL career, but that can happen with KPP's. Not yet delisted but think that's on the cards.
3. Charlie Constable - Really just a straight swap for Dunstan, but five years younger. Only knock on him is pace, but it didn't stop LD monstering teams in the second half of 2021.

Critically, all 22 or younger and starved of opportunity but all showed they are capable at this level.

Others:
Naish - maybe, if we can't get Constable. I haven't quite seen enough of him yet to think he'll make it, but he was an U18 AA and a top 35 pick.
Hartley - if we miss Schlensog, he's a low-cost, low-risk insurance option.
Hanrahan - a replacement for Lonie? Perhaps. Bit more size than Lonie, which I like. Numbers weren't bad. Only 23. Not the worst.
+1

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Some of the better players jettisoned so far IMO...plus others

Constable, 22 Mid
Schlensog 21, 199 KP (Geelong, WAFL)
Hartley 28, 198 KPD
Jarrod Lienert 27, 195 KPD

Leek Aleer, 20, 196 KPD SANFL
Sam Skinner, 24, 197 KP SANFL
Charlie Dean, 20 194 KP VFL

Lockie O'Brien, 22 mid/hf, top 10 DP - lethal left foot (Carlton to Rookie?)
Brett Bewley, 26, small fwd, replace Lonie
Brayden Sier, 23, mid
Will Hayes, 26, mid/wing

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 15 Oct 2021 10:57pm

He was our NGA player. We were always going to grab him but the tigers jumped earlier than we expected and for what ever reason we failed to overrule them.

So I say they stole him.

Grab him back.
Before St Kilda took Byrnes they had the points to match any bid for Biggy.
When St Kilda picked Byrnes they took a risk.
If Biggy were called in the next handful of picks St Kida did not have enough points to match.
Richmond were fully aware of this and took him at pick 54 in 2019.

Richmond tanked toward the end of 2021 so St Kilda's rookie pick is behind Richmond this year.
I believe that to become a rookie Biggy must again face the main draft before Richmond reclaims him in the rookie draft.
I would love to see St Kilda snatch him out from under Richmond's noses with the last pick of the main draft.
If you can't win a premiership you can still have small wins by sticking it to your opponents.

Biggy had an association with St Kilda through the NGA program and has been effectively told by Richmond they aren't to keen on him but want an each way bet.
He may be willing to come to St Kilda as a delisted free agent despite Richmond committing to take him back as a rookie.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

The first delisted free agency period runs for seven days, from November 3 to November 9.

After a list lodgement day on November 10, the second window for delisted free agents will run for five days, from November 11 to November 15.

Players who have been delisted by their clubs have the freedom to join any rival that offers them a contract during these two periods, avoiding the need to enter the NAB AFL Draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
diddley
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 12:05pm

Not sure Leek Aleer was delisted there bud.
Just a mature age pick.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

diddley wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 10:07pm
MCG-Unit wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 12:05pm

Not sure Leek Aleer was delisted there bud.
Just a mature age pick.

Yes I included at the top of the post
"...Some of the better players jettisoned so far IMO...plus others"

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Appears GWS are getting Brander so scratch him off the list.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Dumont would be of moderate interest.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Fortunately we have limited list positions this year, especially if they save a spot or two for the mid-season draft, so not much room at the Saints for the discards.

A Key defender would be nice, especially if they take Campbell on or just after the 3rd of November.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 3:51pm Fortunately we have limited list positions this year, especially if they save a spot or two for the mid-season draft, so not much room at the Saints for the discards.

A Key defender would be nice, especially if they take Campbell on or just after the 3rd of November.
With Battle being moved to a permanent key defensive role, I think now a backup key forward is more in need than a defender. If King goes down who is next in line? Marshall perhaps, Membrey is more suited to the 3rd tall role and its too early in Sharman's development. Although Battle can play both ends he doesnt hit the score board enough when forward.

King would leave a huge hole and leave us a bit exposed IMO. Brayden Crossley comes to mind as a ready to go backup. He is the ex GFC player now playing VFL full forward for Southport. He is only 22 yo 1.98cms can pinch hit in the ruck and would give us good depth. He obviously had past off field issues, but kids mature and I believe he would be worth rolling the dice on.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 4:06pm
Wayne42 wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 3:51pm Fortunately we have limited list positions this year, especially if they save a spot or two for the mid-season draft, so not much room at the Saints for the discards.

With Battle being moved to a permanent key defensive role, I think now a backup key forward is more in need than a defender. If King goes down who is next in line? Marshall perhaps, Membrey is more suited to the 3rd tall role and its too early in Sharman's development. Although Battle can play both ends he doesnt hit the score board enough when forward.

King would leave a huge hole and leave us a bit exposed IMO. Brayden Crossley comes to mind as a ready to go backup. He is the ex GFC player now playing VFL full forward for Southport. He is only 22 yo 1.98cms can pinch hit in the ruck and would give us good depth. He obviously had past off field issues, but kids mature and I believe he would be worth rolling the dice on.
We seem to lack depth in a few key areas, let's hope our List Gurus are working on it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Gershwin
Club Player

Joyce and Allison are possibilities too. I think we will have B.King next year,

summertime and the living is easy ........
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 4:54pm

Joyce and Allison are possibilities too. I think we will have B.King next year,
Neither Joyce nor Allison are ready to go full forwards. Joyce is a borderline key defender and Allison is a long way off even playing AFL. We all expect Ben King to come to Moorabbin at the end of next year, but what if it doesnt eventuate? I believe filling that gap this season is an absolute must!

What happens in 2022 if we lose Max King to injury for the season? Even if we draft 4 kids at the National Draft we will still have 2 main list positions to fill? Crossley would cost bugger all and would be the perfect backup IMO.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Mason Cox has signed a 1 year deal with Collingwood. Maybe if we don’t get Ben King next year we can go for him.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 1:50pm Mason Cox has signed a 1 year deal with Collingwood. Maybe if we don’t get Ben King next year we can go for him.
Being saved from picking him up once is enough thanks kosi. I don't wish to be terrified we could be that stupid next off season.