Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Teflon wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 11:43pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 7:41pm
saynta wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 6:05pm
Interesting. An obsessed poster whose nick I can never remember for some reason, has repeatedly posted that Grant is yesterday's man while his hero is still desperately being sought be numerous Afl clubs. Clearly he is wrong.
I laugh when I read how happy people were when Ross was coaching our team and how fondly they remember 2009. Unfortunately I’d like to forget one particular week in that year. It’s a shame because we all know that it’s the only week that really counts

How refreshing is it when you’ve got genuine Saints people who love St Kilda and want the ultimate success for this footy club. If we want to compete for sponsors and for our membership to grow, we have to win a flag. It annoys me when influential people are apathetic and selfish and don’t want to give back to the team and to the club.

Saints fans posting here (and many of them call talkback radio too) and somehow they think that there’ll be some sort of action or something positive will occur due their carry on and their whinging.

GT is not going to sit back and watch us be a middle of the road team for another 10 years and neither is Gerry Ryan. If you can do something to contribute then don’t just talk about it. Get involved.

They are the talkers and the dreamers…versus the people like Gerry Ryan and GT and others who are the doers. Success is not accidental. It comes to people who have shown all their lives that they know how to consistently achieve results

One of my favourite singer songwriters sums it up best

Oh geezus ....Weddings Parties and “bring back GT”???
Are you and Saynta twins?
This would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic..
Good good man get a grip

Lets face it, you are hero worshiping a lying sleazeball. Freo knew that, Carlton found out about it, I know it and if your were being even a tiny bit objective, you would admit to knowing it too. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You need to loosen your grip. :roll:

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Grant Thomas feels the Saints are just happy to exist in the AFL realm rather than truly push themselves into the top echelon of clubs.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/18/ ... -st-kilda/

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We can’t keep blaming coaches and players.

Sheldon would have been just fine ... just stick with one good coach.

We do need a shake up.

We can't develop players (Battle has gone backwards and Hind sends his regards to Hill, Clark and Coffield).

And we need to finally get our recruiting right - which includes a well-thought-out recruiting strategy.
At one stage we had half a dozen ruckmen, and none of them were any good - and plenty of half back flankers to the extent that Savage couldn't get a game.

We also went overboard with small forwards.

What we really needed and still need is quality young midfielders - playmakers with skill and pace.
We won't succeed without them.
We should never look at the next Petracca in the mouth - and what was wrong with Petracca's character, anyway ?
Wasn't it the good country boy McCartin who threw that punch that knocked out a St Kilda player in the VFL?

No more Hanneberries - players past their use-by-dates ... ever. Ever.

There are a lot of obvious flaws that have lingered on a long time ... and a shake up is long overdue.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 19 Oct 2021 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the SEN article

"I get the distinct feeling that the Saints are just happy playing AFL.

“Their best is finals, but the gap tells me that there is something wrong somewhere.

“You don’t have wild fluctuations in performances unless there’s something not quite right.

“I’m not close enough to know exactly what that is, whether it’s coaching, leadership or management. Of course you hear all the stories, but there’s stories everywhere so you pay lip service to those.”

Thomas says the time is now for the Saints to step up and challenge annually, as opposed to whittling away and being content with mediocrity.

He wonders whether the current list under Brett Ratten can help break the flag drought, and if not, then change must occur sooner than later.

“I see Melbourne and the Bulldogs have gone past us in recent years and I just think that if they can do it, there’s no reason why we can’t do it,” he said.

“But we’re not going to do it doing what we’re doing. We need to do something significantly different. We really need to enter the premiership business race.

“I can’t see us winning a premiership in the next year or two, and if we don’t win it in the next year or two, that list… well where is it?

“That means we’re another decade away and that doesn’t sit well with me.

“It’s achievable and you can do it, but you’ve got to make hard decisions.

“This is just me supporting Larry Benge to get on the board to try and make some changes and put St Kilda on the right trajectory for success.”

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 11:11am We can’t keep blaming coaches and players.

We have to be realistic too...we had to spend that money and nobody wanted to come to Seaford at the time.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 11:36am
samoht wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 11:11am We can’t keep blaming coaches and players.

We have to be realistic too...we had to spend that money and nobody wanted to come to Seaford at the time.
Because there's been other clubs making better decisions over the last 30 years or so that has brought them success that the better players then want to join - it all gets back to that.
So a shake up/wake up is warranted.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 6:46am My concern is the mediocrity and lack of improvement in the club driven by those at the top since our last GF appearance,
I don't understand this point. Since our last GF appearance hasn't the President changed, Recruiter & List Managers have also changed as well as a long serving coach. Since that change we have played finals, in 2020, over hauled our list, endeavouring to correct some glaring holes involving quality, position, age.

I would suggest the Club has improved dramatically since the change to the President. I prefer where we are now than to where we were between 2012 and 2019. I see a ray of hope now, some green shoots.

Perhaps GT & Ryan should have opened their mouths 6 years ago. Why now?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 12:00pm
spert wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 6:46am My concern is the mediocrity and lack of improvement in the club driven by those at the top since our last GF appearance,
I don't understand this point. Since our last GF appearance hasn't the President changed, Recruiter & List Managers have also changed as well as a long serving coach. Since that change we have played finals, in 2020, over hauled our list, endeavouring to correct some glaring holes involving quality, position, age.

I would suggest the Club has improved dramatically since the change to the President. I prefer where we are now than to where we were between 2012 and 2019. I see a ray of hope now, some green shoots.

I would say because another club has finally ended a long premiership drought and now the Saints have inherited another unwanted record, the longest flag drought, to go with the most wooden spoons.
It doesn't read like a successful club.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 12:17pm

I would say because another club has finally ended a long premiership drought and now the Saints have inherited another unwanted record, the longest flag drought, to go with the most wooden spoons.
It doesn't read like a successful club.
Of course it doesn't. Why worry about other clubs? Perhaps that's our inferiority complex? Not much has changed since GT took over, we still only have one flag, we collected one more spoon - why now? Why not when we won the spoon 7 years ago?

As I said, the St Kilda F.C. seems to have been on an upward trajectory since Bassett took over. Why now? Brisbane (Fitzroy), Sydney (South Melbourne), Footscray, Richmond, Melbourne have all won since GT had his shot. Again, why now? Seems disingenuous to me. Seems a little more than getting a long serving Dentile on the Board.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Every time we have instability like GT & Ryan are creating it puts the club back years. Put up or shut up GT you had your chance, fleeced the club blind and failed. Now get back in your box & STFU.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 1:22pm Every time we have instability like GT & Ryan are creating it puts the club back years. Put up or shut up GT you had your chance, fleeced the club blind and failed. Now get back in your box & STFU.
I also am not hearing a lot of positive solutions being offered just vague assertions about how 'something is wrong'.

Well a blind dog could tell you 'something is wrong' at our club but that doesn't just mean you're going to be able to fix it just by observing it.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Why now?

Only my guess, when you pull 116 sticks you would get puffy chest and people would want to saddle up to you for all sorts of reasons so the ground has probably never been more fertile for GT to start a proxy war with the AFL through Lethers.

If the club rebounds next year then GT loses his platform. If the wheels fall off then expect GT to hit the headlines.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We keep hearing and reading about how times have changed and that players are playing for themselves (i.e their families future) more and more. I know few will agree with me (or pull the COVID card) but we don't have a gang mentality. We are not a pack of dogs locked in instinctively to get the prize. Letting Nathan Brown go mid-season, breaking his contract, which was to provide a reliable big back-up backman, was the red flag for me. And so,. when Carlise left for family duties, we had no back-up. And everty body just accepted it.

We cannot be competitive like this.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 2:34pm We keep hearing and reading about how times have changed and that players are playing for themselves (i.e their families future) more and more. I know few will agree with me (or pull the COVID card) but we don't have a gang mentality. We are not a pack of dogs locked in instinctively to get the prize. Letting Nathan Brown go mid-season, breaking his contract, which was to provide a reliable big back-up backman, was the red flag for me. And so,. when Carlise left for family duties, we had no back-up. And everty body just accepted it.

Nathan brown left in the midst of the pandemic last year. he was in QLD and his family were down here. i do not have a problem with allowing him to quit. If a player wants to quit mid season. that up to him. We cannot tie them down and so no you cannot quit.

again Carlisle was in the midst of a pandemic where everybody was in lockdown totally different situation.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 2:45pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 2:34pm We keep hearing and reading about how times have changed and that players are playing for themselves (i.e their families future) more and more. I know few will agree with me (or pull the COVID card) but we don't have a gang mentality. We are not a pack of dogs locked in instinctively to get the prize. Letting Nathan Brown go mid-season, breaking his contract, which was to provide a reliable big back-up backman, was the red flag for me. And so,. when Carlise left for family duties, we had no back-up. And everty body just accepted it.

.... i do not have a problem with allowing him to quit. ..
Sure.
What I said.
Not competitive.

Shaggy
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 1:22pm Every time we have instability like GT & Ryan are creating it puts the club back years. Put up or shut up GT you had your chance, fleeced the club blind and failed. Now get back in your box & STFU.
You appear to be influenced by Tef’s vendetta against GT.

Gerry Ryan and GT have endorsed the dentist as a director. It is not a board coup.

They simply think he will be good for the Saints when decision making is made. He will not be influenced by past decisions.

Most boards are better off having new blood each year.

Gerry rarely endorses and he is genuinely top of the game.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 1:22pm Every time we have instability like GT & Ryan are creating it puts the club back years.
That period between mid-1999 and mid-2001 was two years of heartbreaking, hopeless footy at a club that was ready to fold over and die. Should we have stuck with stability there? We may not have a club right now if we did.

Within two years, we'd transformed the place. Worth remembering the facts behind it all. You don't have to like GT or his personality, but his determination to transform us into a force can't be ignored.

We went on to make the finals every years (bar one) between 2004 and 2011, with the entire playing list crediting him for building the culture that Lyon helped evolve tactically in the latter years.

Anyhow, how's our 2012-2021 decade going?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 6:46am All I remember was that GT got bums back on seats at Saints games, we started winning strongly, lapsed members and supporters returned, the club regained respect, we returned to finals...that's pretty significant for any sporting club.

My concern is the mediocrity and lack of improvement in the club driven by those at the top since our last GF appearance,
Most important post in the thread. He also did it with one hand behind his back - another reason the players loved him so much.

I have no problem with GT wanting to help drive us towards premierships.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 11:27pm
Shaggy wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 10:29pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 9:39pm
roskilde wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 6:29pm Does he have any qualifications in sports administration or history in anything related to the game other than dentistry?

I'm struggling to figure out why he would be a smart addition.

Is wily old GT trying to install a puppet board member who speaks with his voice? :lol:
It’s classic Thomas
At the end of the day it’s not about the club - it’s about him and his ego and St Kilda is just the hapless vehicle
Some dentist who has $ reckons he wants to be the “members voice” and cause board upheaval???
Except it is not about GT.

Gerry Ryan endorses the dentist. GT supports his endorsement.

You have made it about GT because of your vendetta.
Yes,yes.....Grants just happy to sit on his hands ...it’s all about Grant....or it will be if he can get his puppy on the Board....

“ I only have one good fight left in me and — as always — I’m very happy to use it for the cause of St Kilda,” he said.

“In my view there are two types of teams in this competition: those in the premiership business and those simply playing AFL.

“From my observation over the last decade, St Kilda is just playing AFL. It’s time. We want to see a dramatic change in leadership, organisational connectedness and performance.” Grant Thomas
GT has just made multi millions. He supports Gerry's recommendation of the dentist. Gerry not GT is the most important in this discussion. You need to get over your vendetta.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 10:31am
Teflon wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 11:43pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 7:41pm
saynta wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 6:05pm
Interesting. An obsessed poster whose nick I can never remember for some reason, has repeatedly posted that Grant is yesterday's man while his hero is still desperately being sought be numerous Afl clubs. Clearly he is wrong.
I laugh when I read how happy people were when Ross was coaching our team and how fondly they remember 2009. Unfortunately I’d like to forget one particular week in that year. It’s a shame because we all know that it’s the only week that really counts

How refreshing is it when you’ve got genuine Saints people who love St Kilda and want the ultimate success for this footy club. If we want to compete for sponsors and for our membership to grow, we have to win a flag. It annoys me when influential people are apathetic and selfish and don’t want to give back to the team and to the club.

Saints fans posting here (and many of them call talkback radio too) and somehow they think that there’ll be some sort of action or something positive will occur due their carry on and their whinging.

GT is not going to sit back and watch us be a middle of the road team for another 10 years and neither is Gerry Ryan. If you can do something to contribute then don’t just talk about it. Get involved.

They are the talkers and the dreamers…versus the people like Gerry Ryan and GT and others who are the doers. Success is not accidental. It comes to people who have shown all their lives that they know how to consistently achieve results

One of my favourite singer songwriters sums it up best

Oh geezus ....Weddings Parties and “bring back GT”???
Are you and Saynta twins?
This would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic..
Good good man get a grip

Lets face it, you are hero worshiping a lying sleazeball. Freo knew that, Carlton found out about it, I know it and if your were being even a tiny bit objective, you would admit to knowing it too. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You need to loosen your grip. :roll:
There’s a difference between hero worshipping our most successful coach in the modern era and not allowing muppets to distort facts because they can’t put aside their hatred to be objective
Hero worshiping is what happens with “GT” sycophants
Lyon could coach and proved it with b2b GFs and GFs at multiple clubs - he didn’t win one, Thomas couldn’t even get in one.
You know it , don’t like it blah blah blah
Oh btw - I think Ross Lyon would be a Shyte bloke but that ain’t the point here and I can seperate those things
You clearly can’t

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Well said absolutely
He’s on the media trail again
Same old trick “somethings wrong at Saints....I do t want to be the messiah (unless I’m asked) but I’m just compelled to do something.....” blah blah blah
WAKE UP this guy is not good for our club cause it’s not about our club
He came in as “caretaker” coach - does anyone remember the famous line “well....if there is anyone better credentialed then I’ll step aside....”
Horse Shyte - he got the gig and never had ANY intent to B step aside and then when sacked SUED the club he just loves so much????
He’s a deadset friggin parasite that needs that needs to find another plaything cause St Kilda is not YOUR toy you wannabe corporate flog.
Apologies ....I feel better now..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 10:00pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 11:27pm
Shaggy wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 10:29pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 9:39pm
roskilde wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 6:29pm Does he have any qualifications in sports administration or history in anything related to the game other than dentistry?

I'm struggling to figure out why he would be a smart addition.

Is wily old GT trying to install a puppet board member who speaks with his voice? :lol:
It’s classic Thomas
At the end of the day it’s not about the club - it’s about him and his ego and St Kilda is just the hapless vehicle
Some dentist who has $ reckons he wants to be the “members voice” and cause board upheaval???
Except it is not about GT.

Gerry Ryan endorses the dentist. GT supports his endorsement.

You have made it about GT because of your vendetta.
Yes,yes.....Grants just happy to sit on his hands ...it’s all about Grant....or it will be if he can get his puppy on the Board....

“ I only have one good fight left in me and — as always — I’m very happy to use it for the cause of St Kilda,” he said.

“In my view there are two types of teams in this competition: those in the premiership business and those simply playing AFL.

“From my observation over the last decade, St Kilda is just playing AFL. It’s time. We want to see a dramatic change in leadership, organisational connectedness and performance.” Grant Thomas
GT has just made multi millions. He supports Gerry's recommendation of the dentist. Gerry not GT is the most important in this discussion. You need to get over your vendetta.
If you buy that you’ll buy anything
Open your eyes

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 9:36pm
You appear to be influenced by Tef’s vendetta against GT.

Gerry Ryan and GT have endorsed the dentist as a director. It is not a board coup.

Gerry does his work in background at least
Mouthpiece is just trolling the club
You appear to have drunk the cool aid

They simply think he will be good for the Saints when decision making is made. He will not be influenced by past decisions.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 9:36pm

Gerry does his work in background at least
Mouthpiece is just trolling the club
You appear to have drunk the cool aid

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

If it comes down to dentistry surely Benge would be a walk up start for the Collingwood board?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi