Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

samoht wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 8:49pm Butterss was to blame for that fiasco.

"However, as early as February 2003, Butterss had admitted that his appointment of Blight as coach was "an error."[25] In August 2017, Butterss further admitted that he'd made crucial decisions (including the Blight saga) while under the influence of drugs and alcohol during his tenure at the club.[26]"

Grant Thomas became caretaker coach and then full time coach after Blight was sacked. GT steadied the ship.

But this isn't about coaches - and I believe coaches are a nil-all-draw, anyway.

What was wrong with Sheldon - I'd prefer if he still coached and we got all the important areas right over the years.
It was all Butters again was it?????

From The Age - Grant Thomas:

'When he puts his head on the pillow, he knows how hard I worked to find St Kilda the best coach in the competition. He then put his hand up to me. I then worked feverishly to appoint him, giving him incredibly unique terms - it was the way it [$1 million] was paid, it was upfront.

''St Kilda had made a decision to enter the 'big game' … we weren't going to be mucking around, fluffing around at the edges like we had for 130 years any longer. It required absolute and total commitment from every person involved at the club.''

I’d suggest he’s also managed to back away from any involvement again...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Shaggy wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 10:09pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 8:48am Ofcourse 2022 is make it break - with Clarkson there I think it’s critical for Ratten especially to have a good year
Ofcourse it’s good corporate practice to update your board with talent
Question for you is;
1. Larry the dentist appears to have eff all credentials other than big mouth piece backers
2. Do you think dragging the club through the media gutter is the “professional Board” member material we need ???
Good clubs don’t do that.
We are headed straight back to the days of the club being run by “white knight” individuals....it’s 80’s stuff and when these so called “fixers” have had their play we’ll be left to pick up the pieces ....only this time from Tasmania where perhaps (if we allow this trash into our club) we deserve to be.
Of course you could not accept someone GT endorses because of your personal vendetta.

But this thread should be about Gerry Ryan’s endorsement of the dentist not GT. You have made it about GT.

Gerry Ryan is our white knight. He has stood by us through thick and thin and loves the Saints.

Gerry Ryan is not merely a rich man with Javco. He started a world sport’s brand from scratch with Greenedge. He became part owner and Board member of Melbourne Storm after the salary cap scandal and they have won 3 flags since. It was not an accident Billy Slater joined us funded by Gerry. He saved Sandringham from folding in the VFL. He won a Melbourne Cup as owner. Major benefactor to the Opals and lots of suburban sporting clubs. He believes in sport. He is an OAM for his philanthrophy. Most importantly for Saints supporters he is our biggest benefactor. Javco has sponsored us forever.

Gerry endorsed Bassat as President. He endorses the dentist as a new board member to the public. He is collaborative not divisive as you are trying to make out.
Last year when there was the panic regarding COVID and finances Ryan went public with his support for the Saints and the Board. Gerry Ryan reconfirming his support in troubled times helps with stability with sponsors and creditors.

To quote Ricky Nixon:
“The club can count itself lucky that another key reason for turning its fortunes around on and off the field going into the late eighties and early nineties was having Gerry Ryan on the St Kilda board… I don’t think the vast majority of St Kilda fans can possibly have any idea just how much Gerry has done down through the years to help the club survive some perilous times”.
In fact Nixon knows Ryan also bailed the club out of financial jams several over the years. “I believe he even paid a substantial amount of the player salaries one year. But you never get to hear about it and certainly not from Gerry himself”

So at the same time you loved Ross Lyon running around for Fitzroy, Gerry Ryan is saving the saints.

Gerry Ryan supporting the dentist does mean a lot. Because Gerry wants us to win a flag and survive forever. He works with, not against Bassat.

Fitzroy did not have a Gerry Ryan. So your team is now the Brisbane Lions.
I don’t think I mentioned Gerry once and I agree his backing and his background credentials make him well placed to put forward a view.
But it’s not Gerry out Shyte canning the club again in the media - it’s Thomas and you’ve completely neglected to mention that bit.
Why is this about GT? Cause he has form and all know it.
Ask yourself the last time he came out and said the club has done something right???????
I don’t see Gerry out bashing the club...
So no it’s not about Gerry cause his intentions are genuine and he’s put his chop on the block for the club before - out of his pocket as you state
Not so Grant....although he wants all to know he’s a squillionaire ....
As for Fitzroy it’s true there were no “white knight” backers only an AFL /VFL hell bent on ensuring someone paid the price for interstate expansion. Fitzroy had the agreement to merge with Nth and both clubs had accepted that. VFL HQ stopped that.
Rest assured though...that time will come again..and any club who is still in debt and squabbling and airing its dirty laundry in the media might feel a tad nervous...
So as an ex Fitzroy member I’d suggest learn the lesson, focus on running the club professionally and leave the ego driven messiahs at the front door.
Oh btw - Ross Lyon played as he coached ....hard...but he was no Mick Conlan, Gary Pert, Paul Roos or Gary Wilson :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 8:48am Ofcourse 2022 is make it break - with Clarkson there I think it’s critical for Ratten especially to have a good year
Question for you is;
1. Larry the dentist appears to have eff all credentials other than big mouth piece backers
2. Do you think dragging the club through the media gutter is the “professional Board” member material we need ???
We are headed straight back to the days of the club being run by “white knight” individuals....it’s 80’s stuff and when these so called “fixers” have had their play we’ll be left to pick up the pieces ....only this time from Tasmania where perhaps (if we allow this trash into our club) we deserve to be.
Of course you could not accept someone GT endorses because of your personal vendetta.

But this thread should be about Gerry Ryan’s endorsement of the dentist not GT. You have made it about GT.
I re read the piece and I reckon you could mount a strong argument that Thomas and the HS made it about Thomas.

Ryan provides an endorsement in the piece, Thomas makes a threat to start a fight. Thomas gets clicks, Ryan not so much.

A deliberately crafted journalistic piece that has leveraged off a devisive character.

For Thomas the optics of his agitation could end up looking like a proxy war with the AFL via two well regarded and well connected individuals with AFL headquarters in Finnis and Lethlean.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 7:12am
Question for you is;

I re read the piece and I reckon you could mount a strong argument that Thomas and the HS made it about Thomas.

Ryan provides an endorsement in the piece, Thomas makes a threat to start a fight. Thomas gets clicks, Ryan not so much.

A deliberately crafted journalistic piece that has leveraged off a devisive character.

For Thomas the optics of his agitation could end up looking like a proxy war with the AFL via two well regarded and well connected individuals with AFL headquarters in Finnis and Lethlean.
Spot on. The HS was mischievous in turning the endorsement of Benge by Ryan into an opinion of the club by Thomas. Ryan's support was never a double act with Thomas. Ryan was the kindling, the HS poured the petrol and Thomas was the spark.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's concentrate on Gerry Ryan and his backing of "the dentist" ... this is not about coaches, GT vs RL, etc...

I think all coaches are irrelevant. This has been proven to us time and again - Blight was the "best coach" at the time, but he didn't commit as it turned out.
Another coach walked out on us after realising the damage he caused to the list and a bleak future ahead ... declaring an "end of an era."

And as we know past performance does not guarantee future returns, there is always a disclaimer.

We need committed people, clear thinkers, and a plan. No more Hanneberries, no more quick fixes - you appoint a coach and provide him with the best resources and give him every chance to succeed.

We can't keep doubling down on mediocrity, having 6 rucks on the list that are all VFL standard, or recruiting half back flankers hoping they will become midfielders, or 6 small forwards hoping one of them will turn out to be okay - or all inside midfielders hoping that some of them will learn how to spread and run.

We need to get better at developing players. Battle, Coffield and Clark all treaded water - Battle was looking good at CHB under AR.
No more Hinds or Tom Lynches, etc..
And we need a targeted approach to recruiting -forget the machine-gun approach. We're after quality not quantity and we need to recruit according to our team's needs.

We can't keep blaming the coaches. They should just stick to coaching and they should have the best people around them that will help them to succeed.

A team that keeps turning over coaches has other problem areas that are not being addressed. We need to treat the cause, not the symptom, and maybe it takes a dentist to see this.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

no

it takes the Observer

coz thats his task ... to see with clarity across the Entity

(the dentist becomes by involvement , another aspect)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 8:46am no

it takes the Observer

coz thats his task ... to see with clarity across the Entity

(the dentist becomes by involvement , another aspect)
Just open your mouth and say .... "aaaahhhh"

asiu
Saintsational Legend

did that once as a kid
'n the nazi like doctor
shoved an oversized icy pole stick so far down my throat

that an outrageous gag complex was created on the spot

saved me from one fate though
... at least it had that , going for it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 7:52am
Question for you is;

Spot on. The HS was mischievous in turning the endorsement of Benge by Ryan into an opinion of the club by Thomas. Ryan's support was never a double act with Thomas. Ryan was the kindling, the HS poured the petrol and Thomas was the spark.
You make a good point, we're you also asking yourself if Ryan and Thomas are in fact collaborating in a potential coup for a board spill or did it play out as I think you suggest in that the HS took advantage of Ryan by leveraging off Thomas for clicks without agreement from Ryan?

Time will tell but this is purely guess work on my behalf, however I think most astute and reputable business operators would distance themselves from Thomas when it comes to dealing with the AFL and as such would consider it counter-productive to align with Thomas in any dealings with the AFL let alone endorse him for a board postion at the club.

As I say just my guess but isn't it well known Thomas is despised my many within the AFL industry?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

would Thomas have allowed the Club to apologise
for Jake Carlisles 'on field' work on the carltoon captain ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

: a momentous momentum sucking moment
rarely included across discussions
on 'our' recent history

a find foot
'n drive three tines into it
with a professional garden fork

ain't winning a flag
if thats the actual intention

with defeat before victory behaviours
like that travesty

asiu
Saintsational Legend

a bit like ... leaving Tassy ... ay Grant.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

or taking Lovett 'n leaving Ball ... ay Ross

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Grant is all for Grant always was always will be. If push comes to shove if it came down to the club blowing up and Grant get a positive article in the age or the club going brilliantly and Grant getting bagged out he would take the the club blowing up every time. The guy is a parasite.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 11:06am a bit like ... leaving Tassy ... ay Grant.

Aren’t you a Tassie native Asui?

I thought you were biased and I thought our Tassie record was crap, so I checked.

We played 8 games there from 2003-2006. We went 4-4!
Unbelievable…cognitive bias kicked in big time ….8 was sure we won once…by a point….and we did! Against Freo, but we won three others!

And I was sure Hawthorn always won…so I checked and in 2003-2006? Same as us, 4-4.

So I take back my comment on this forum last week that Thomson wanted us out cos we always/usually lost!
Mind you 50/50 isn’t exactly congruent with finishing 3rd (‘04), 4th (‘05) and 6th (‘06), and we only beat up one team down there, Footscray, in ‘03, who got the spoon that year.

But then what happened? The Casino/Pokie fed, Jeff Kennesian Dawks play another 48 times there, and they win 40 of them! From 2011-2016, they go 23-1 from 24!

I am very touchy about Tassie. I think we have this lost island thang, cos of our name, and that incredibly gothic-like story of St Kilda island over the edge of the world , and somehow we might think it is fitting with that tale, for us to live in Tasmania.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 9:37am
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 7:52am
Question for you is;

You make a good point, we're you also asking yourself if Ryan and Thomas are in fact collaborating in a potential coup for a board spill or did it play out as I think you suggest in that the HS took advantage of Ryan by leveraging off Thomas for clicks without agreement from Ryan?

Time will tell but this is purely guess work on my behalf, however I think most astute and reputable business operators would distance themselves from Thomas when it comes to dealing with the AFL and as such would consider it counter-productive to align with Thomas in any dealings with the AFL let alone endorse him for a board postion at the club.

As I say just my guess but isn't it well known Thomas is despised my many within the AFL industry?
Ghost/Vortex you e nailed it.
The HS and Thomas injection made it about Grant
Gerry kicked to the kerb at that point
Larry the dentist a pawn.
Unfortunately for Thomas, this time, people can see through the grandiose statements
Emperor has no clothes.

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i was trying to show

that piss poor decisions regarding the
overall health/ future health of the Entity

source from both 'sides' of the people making up the Entity

it is the leaders/followers paradigm writ large
regardless of which 'wing' the leaders are
taking their turn from

the Entity , in reality , is perpetually divided
by pandering to its 'leadership'
AND
by pandering to its 'followers'

when its not about them

it does not work

how can this not be obvious
to anyone participating ?

(lost in ones own illusional version of reality ... thats why)

yay the disrupters
yay the pencil pushers

find the congruence inherent

focus those balance points towards the Entity
... continually , consistently with clarity

+
move on the crooks 'n cowards

its not about them either
as its not about leaders 'n followers

asiu
Saintsational Legend

its about the .... drum roll .... Entity.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

if seeking sanity , coherence , expansion
for self and others concurrently
is the intent

the operating system
is expressed as

No gurus
No dogma
No followers

(self + others ='s the Entity)

c'mon cave people
have a go ffs

Sanctorum
Club Player

I totally understand how some supporters get ballistic about Grant Thomas stirring the pot, and acknowledge the evidence is there that he has a record of coming out with statements that make headlines solely calculated to boost his ego and profile in the media.

Nonetheless, I am quite convinced that in this current push to put the board and senior management under pressure to get the St Kilda team on track to succeed, Thomas has the full backing of Gerry Ryan and the coterie of high profile commercial sponsors and Saints members all of who are no longer prepared to see the team languish in the bottom half of the comp, and believe the time for change is now.

They believe getting Larry Benge elected to the Board will bring this into effect.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 12:46pm I totally understand how some supporters get ballistic about Grant Thomas stirring the pot, and acknowledge the evidence is there that he has a record of coming out with statements that make headlines solely calculated to boost his ego and profile in the media.

Nonetheless, I am quite convinced that in this current push to put the board and senior management under pressure to get the St Kilda team on track to succeed, Thomas has the full backing of Gerry Ryan and the coterie of high profile commercial sponsors and Saints members all of who are no longer prepared to see the team languish in the bottom half of the comp, and believe the time for change is now.

They believe getting Larry Benge elected to the Board will bring this into effect.
Why confident on this occasion sancto after acknowledging his previous track record? How do you know any of this? Has Ryan or Benge or the Club or the Coterie or the Sponsors been quoted as on board with Thomas and his grandstanding, giving him their "full backing"?

Seems somewhere between paragraph two and three you have jumped the shark.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Larry the Dentist ....... our Great Saviour!!

If only we knew then what some know now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend

I don't know about Great Saviour ...
But the dentist expects a little plaque to mark the occasion, and a bit of fanfare, when he joins the board at tooth hurty.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 2:07pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 12:46pm I totally understand how some supporters get ballistic about Grant Thomas stirring the pot, and acknowledge the evidence is there that he has a record of coming out with statements that make headlines solely calculated to boost his ego and profile in the media.

Why confident on this occasion sancto after acknowledging his previous track record? How do you know any of this? Has Ryan or Benge or the Club or the Coterie or the Sponsors been quoted as on board with Thomas and his grandstanding, giving him their "full backing"?

Seems somewhere between paragraph two and three you have jumped the shark.
Yes it started off well....then just veered left at an alarming rate..

“Yeah….nah””
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 3:44pm I don't know about Great Saviour ...
But the dentist expects a little plaque to mark the occasion, and a bit of fanfare, when he joins the board at tooth hurty.
Are you trying to say there's a yawning gap or a cavity if you will in our management team and he's just the man to be filling it?

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.