Junction Oval in funding crisis.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junction Oval in funding crisis.

desertsaint wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021 7:46pm base at moorabin, train at moorabin, women play at moorabin, we get a game or two every year at the JO. everyone wins.
Petracca does his knee on the hard pitch centre ..... perfect :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Great public transport access and plenty of parking at the Junction

And what great football watching facilities

What is this?? The days of Dave McNarmara, Roy Cazaly or Killagrew??!!

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 2:08pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:00pm If the zjunction in StKilda was a viable option, Hawthorn would have it by now.
If Hawthorn looked to the pearls of wisdom posted in this thread, and the grey matter driving them, it would immediately abandon Dingley and AFL Park and return to Glenferrie Oval. And get rid of the Hawks and become the Mayblooms again. And cease celebrating premierships and resume cherishing wooden spoons.
And if I were a Hawthorn fan I'd most definitely drop into Linda Crescent to watch the Hawks train, and if they opened the bar I'd be catching up with mates for a meal in Glenferrie Road and a cleansing ale whilst watching training. Dingley and Waverley are about as soulless as Seaford and Moorabin.

As a Saints fan, I'm never going to Moorabbin or Seaford, but the Junction oval would be very alluring.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I couldn’t care if they trained in Moe… as long as the facilities were elite

Home Ground is Marvel… has been for 20 years

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021 11:11pm I couldn’t care if they trained in Moe… as long as the facilities were elite

Home Ground is Marvel… has been for 20 years
Missing the point entirely.

Home ground Marvel
Training base Moorabbin
JO for one or two games

That be the idea

For now

You should care about Moe..
You should care about Seaford …

Moving back to Moorabbin = step in the right direction

But we need a presence in St Kilda

Bravo to Essendon. I tip my hat. Smart…

They don’t care about Moe. They care about EFC
which I hate…which makes it that but more disturbing..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
wally
Club Player

MONEY money money we got none
Rich clubs like ESS Carlton have money to spend even after their stuff ups and resulting poor performances.
How about we concentrate on improving on field performances

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The J O was never our ground. It was owned by the cricket club and we were treated like second class citizens. Worse even.

Also we didn't know success until we went to Moorabbin.

You guys are living in cloud kookoo land, a dream that never existed,

The JO was a crap oval with decrepit facilities. A dump.

I know, I was there every second week.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 10:04am The J O was never our ground. It was owned by the cricket club and we were treated like second class citizens. Worse even.

Doesn't matter..doesn't matter..doesn't matter..

Few clubs own their grounds..
All clubs get treated like s$%&t by councils.
All clubs get white anted by competing interests.

St Kilda needs a presence in St Kilda..simple...JO is perfect...

When they play the ashes at the JO it might be difficult, but that doesn't stop them...First Melbourne plays at the Melbourne (oops) "Cricket" Ground, then Richmond and then Collingwood..etc.,

Cricket Victoria? Are you kidding?

Crap oval decrepit ??

Dump?

I have said it a hundred times..like nobody needs to here it again...
JO is not a crap oval nor is a dump..and if it is..you do what half of Australia's population do...you go to Bunnings, buy a sausage and some gear and fix it up. (not heroin)

This is politics by you Saynta! You know very well that it is possible to improve your abode, your office, your garden, your boat, your billy-cart and your football ground's facilities... Moreover I have shown that just as for the grand prix , temporary stands of various capacities can be set up.

Lucky for Essendon they know...they are smart..they are tipping the millions into Windy Hill because it is their spiritual home and their geographic epicentre. It also coincides with a locality known as 'Essendon' on maps. How brilliant they must be! What big brains they must have. And they are detested by the local bowling club and other regional interests there. They've had to scrap and fight all the way. Nobody likes footy clubs.

Congrats to Essendon.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021 10:12pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:00pm If the zjunction in StKilda was a viable option, Hawthorn would have it by now.
If Hawthorn looked to the pearls of wisdom posted in this thread, and the grey matter driving them, it would immediately abandon Dingley and AFL Park and return to Glenferrie Oval. And get rid of the Hawks and become the Mayblooms again. And cease celebrating premierships and resume cherishing wooden spoons.
And if I were a Hawthorn fan I'd most definitely drop into Linda Crescent to watch the Hawks train, and if they opened the bar I'd be catching up with mates for a meal in Glenferrie Road and a cleansing ale whilst watching training. Dingley and Waverley are about as soulless as Seaford and Moorabin.

As a Saints fan, I'm never going to Moorabbin or Seaford, but the Junction oval would be very alluring.
Were you alive when St Kilda made the decision to control its own destiny and abandon the St Kilda CRICKET ground and its landlord, the St Kilda CRICKET Club, over 57 years ago?

It makes SFA difference to where you choose to have a sherbet with your mates in modern times. The era of players turning up after work for training, in front of blokes having a beer (or not), no longer applies to AFL players and clubs. Professional AFL ended that. If the romanticism of a byegone era appeals to you I'd suggest your local suburban club as a venue to suit your needs.

How many decades has it been since you saw a "pleasant Sunday morning" listed in the social notes in the footy record? It just doesn't happen and, like any harebrained idea of returning to the Junction Oval, will never happen.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:19pm

Were you alive when St Kilda made the decision to control its own destiny and abandon the St Kilda CRICKET ground and its landlord, the St Kilda CRICKET Club, over 57 years ago?

It makes SFA difference to where you choose to have a sherbet with your mates in modern times.
The era of players turning up after work for training, in front of blokes having a beer (or not), no longer applies to AFL players and clubs. Professional AFL ended that. If the romanticism of a byegone era appeals to you I'd suggest your local suburban club as a venue to suit your needs.
Really?
Then stay home and enjoy ZOOM beers forever.

No more travel. Place means nothing?

St Kilda is a dream locality for an Aussie Footy Club...
And we just happen to be called 'St Kilda'!
And played there in 1874...

I tell you what is decrepit...St Kilda was a diabolical mess of a club, financially and has been pushed around, kicked around like the 'sick kid' pretty much all of its existence.

Getting out of jail made sense in 1964.
But 1964 is not 2021..

I admit the JO is a tough nut.

In 2014 the state Government gave 25 million bucks to Cricket Victoria to build there? Why?
Check this!
Cricket Victoria couldn't get on to the MCG on their terms...Why? Cause Collingwood and their mates in the Vic Gov, including Eddie McGuire's brother told 'em to p off and go play cricket elsewhere and let footy rule the MCG. In otherwords, powerful footy clubs lobbied the Gov to get out of the MCG.
Cricket Vic were in such a weak position they were forced to play Victorian Cricket home games interstate!

A year later, someone else tipped in 15 million. The last footy was played there in 2015.

The solution...give em the JO and some cash...screw St Kilda FC..they are irrelevant.

amusingname
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:38pm

It makes SFA difference to where you choose to have a sherbet with your mates in modern times.
The era of players turning up after work for training, in front of blokes having a beer (or not), no longer applies to AFL players and clubs. Professional AFL ended that. If the romanticism of a byegone era appeals to you I'd suggest your local suburban club as a venue to suit your needs.
Really?

I tell you what is decrepit...St Kilda was a diabolical mess of a club, financially and has been pushed around, kicked around like the 'sick kid' pretty much all of its existence.

But 1964 is not 2021..

In 2014 the state Government gave 25 million bucks to Cricket Victoria to build there? Why?
Check this!
Cricket Victoria couldn't get on to the MCG on their terms...Why? Cause Collingwood and their mates in the Vic Gov, including Eddie McGuire's brother told 'em to p off and go play cricket elsewhere and let footy rule the MCG. In otherwords, powerful footy clubs lobbied the Gov to get out of the MCG.
Cricket Vic were in such a weak position they were forced to play Victorian Cricket home games interstate!

A year later, someone else tipped in 15 million. The last footy was played there in 2015.

The solution...give em the JO and some cash...screw St Kilda FC..they are irrelevant.

Slightly misleading to say 'The last footy was played there in 2015' which suggests it was still used as a premier football venue up until then. Old Melbournians were playing VAFA footy there, so its not like the amenities or ground were up to even VFL standard.

The state government gave money so that a successful season for the Vics in the cricket didn't cause any issues with MCG ground access for footy and also cricket control of a facility for training, as well as helping the rise of womens international cricket in Australia, a win-win situation really.

Also, still no answer to the question about why the AFL would schedule games at a ground that they don't own when Marvel is sitting there?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We need to stop all this rubbish our spiritual home is and always will be Alpaca Paddock!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 2:29pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:38pm

Really?

But 1964 is not 2021..

Check this!

Slightly misleading to say 'The last footy was played there in 2015' which suggests it was still used as a premier football venue up until then. Old Melbournians were playing VAFA footy there, so its not like the amenities or ground were up to even VFL standard.

The state government gave money so that a successful season for the Vics in the cricket didn't cause any issues with MCG ground access for footy and also cricket control of a facility for training, as well as helping the rise of womens international cricket in Australia, a win-win situation really.

Also, still no answer to the question about why the AFL would schedule games at a ground that they don't own when Marvel is sitting there?
This!
Footy, i.e. powerful footy interests booted Vic cricket off the MCG, lobbied the government to use public taxes to fund the JO for cricket.
Waving the women flag is nice but equally applies to women's footy. Women played the first footy game at the JO in 1924 too! ]

Ground not being AFL standard in 2015 is a red herring too. My understanding is that the turf at JO is pretty good. Marvel has had terrible surface issues from day one as have other AFL grounds. If you can play at Ballarat, Cairns, China, New Zealand the MCG, you can play at JO.

THis is a five year plan...obviously not tomorrow. But watch out for politics and other interests ...THye will make it difficult quickly if you give them a chance.

Anyway, key is to develop St Kilda FC presence in St Kilda. It may be a St Kilda FC cafe, hotel, restaurant...something to start. Efforts t build up Moorabin of course are good. Remember the AFL don't give a damn if St KIlda move to Tassie or merge. Someone speaks of Hawthorn here. They were slated to merge with Melbourne!

amusingname
Club Player

Ignoring the second part though, about cricket having control of a facility, so why would that change? Money isn’t the answer to all questions. Cricket has cash, largely due to television deals and won’t step aside because of pressure and money again, especially from a ground that has little to no chance of ever hosting a game again.
The AFL went through ground rationalisation in Melbourne to achieve what they have now, a ground that can host blockbusters and another that they have ownership of and can host any small to medium crowd without worrying about including rent in the bottom line.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

An excuse to start up a St Kilda Disco 80s Bar

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 3:52pm Ignoring the second part though, about cricket having control of a facility, so why would that change? Money isn’t the answer to all questions. Cricket has cash, largely due to television deals and won’t step aside because of pressure and money again, especially from a ground that has little to no chance of ever hosting a game again.
The AFL went through ground rationalisation in Melbourne to achieve what they have now, a ground that can host blockbusters and another that they have ownership of and can host any small to medium crowd without worrying about including rent in the bottom line.
Cricket Victoria is broke!

And the Junction Oval is a big part of it.

Please read the first post on this thread.

Once all the money from government was collected, PR spin and hand shakes were completed, Cricket Victoria sunk fast and the JO is killing them. Public money went into a facility. How many people will watch shield cricket there? What benefit is to the St Kilda traders council will forty eight cricket die hards mean? They'll enjoy a coffee. Now imagine 7,000 fans watching a footy match there!

I expect CV to beg for more money soon....to prop up their unfortunate JO plan. Their zealous protection of their turf will cost em. Meanwhile, Collingwood FC don't gibe a damn! More footy on the MCG!

amusingname
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 4:18pm
amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 3:52pm Ignoring the second part though, about cricket having control of a facility, so why would that change? Money isn’t the answer to all questions. Cricket has cash, largely due to television deals and won’t step aside because of pressure and money again, especially from a ground that has little to no chance of ever hosting a game again.

Once all the money from government was collected, PR spin and hand shakes were completed, Cricket Victoria sunk fast and the JO is killing them. Public money went into a facility. How many people will watch shield cricket there? What benefit is to the St Kilda traders council will forty eight cricket die hards mean? They'll enjoy a coffee. Now imagine 7,000 fans watching a footy match there!

I expect CV to beg for more money soon....to prop up their unfortunate JO plan. Their zealous protection of their turf will cost em. Meanwhile, Collingwood FC don't gibe a damn! More footy on the MCG!
I read the first post, the link you provided was an article in May 2020. Perhaps read this one, by the same journo, from September when they announced a operating profit of almost $5million and an increase to their assets to $87million. They are fine. When i refer to cricket I also include Cricket Australia, given that they use the ground for international womens fixtures.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/vi ... 58o9a.html

Are you suggesting an AFL crowd of 7,000? If that is a regular season game we are in a lot of strife.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t Essendon move from Windy Hill to Tullamarine?!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:15pm
saynta wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 10:04am The J O was never our ground. It was owned by the cricket club and we were treated like second class citizens. Worse even.

Doesn't matter..doesn't matter..doesn't matter..

Few clubs own their grounds..
All clubs get treated like s$%&t by councils.
All clubs get white anted by competing interests.

St Kilda needs a presence in St Kilda..simple...JO is perfect...

When they play the ashes at the JO it might be difficult, but that doesn't stop them...First Melbourne plays at the Melbourne (oops) "Cricket" Ground, then Richmond and then Collingwood..etc.,

Cricket Victoria? Are you kidding?

Crap oval decrepit ??

Dump?

I have said it a hundred times..like nobody needs to here it again...
JO is not a crap oval nor is a dump..and if it is..you do what half of Australia's population do...you go to Bunnings, buy a sausage and some gear and fix it up. (not heroin)

This is politics by you Saynta! You know very well that it is possible to improve your abode, your office, your garden, your boat, your billy-cart and your football ground's facilities... Moreover I have shown that just as for the grand prix , temporary stands of various capacities can be set up.

Lucky for Essendon they know...they are smart..they are tipping the millions into Windy Hill because it is their spiritual home and their geographic epicentre. It also coincides with a locality known as 'Essendon' on maps. How brilliant they must be! What big brains they must have. And they are detested by the local bowling club and other regional interests there. They've had to scrap and fight all the way. Nobody likes footy clubs.

Congrats to Essendon.
Not politics at all, never entered my head . I was talking about what the place was like when we left, not now ffs. I clearly stated 'was' not 'is' . I hated the place . Still do. As I clearly set out it was a f****** dump.

If you are going to have a go at me simply because I don't share your far fetched dream, at least learn to read what I post properly.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 4:43pm

I read the first post, the link you provided was an article in May 2020. Perhaps read this one, by the same journo, from September when they announced a operating profit of almost $5million and an increase to their assets to $87million. They are fine. When i refer to cricket I also include Cricket Australia, given that they use the ground for international womens fixtures.

Are you suggesting an AFL crowd of 7,000? If that is a regular season game we are in a lot of strife.
https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.espn ... atform=amp

The finances of CV I am reading about suggests bug problems.

Crowd numbers are now not important compared to TV rights…

I don’t know what numbers the WB get at Ballarat and the like, but is a winner for them by the looks.

We need a presence in St Kilda.

That is a must IMO.

It’s true that CV are a major obstacle now…and we watched Collingwood, AFL movers and shakers make it that way.

I am happy we are back at Moorabbin rather than Seaford, obviously, but St Kilda is the prize! As Mr T says, keep your eye on the prize.

amusingname
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 7:15pm
amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 4:43pm

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.espn ... atform=amp

The finances of CV I am reading about suggests bug problems.

Crowd numbers are now not important compared to TV rights…

I don’t know what numbers the WB get at Ballarat and the like, but is a winner for them by the looks.

We need a presence in St Kilda.

That is a must IMO.

It’s true that CV are a major obstacle now…and we watched Collingwood, AFL movers and shakers make it that way.

I am happy we are back at Moorabbin rather than Seaford, obviously, but St Kilda is the prize! As Mr T says, keep your eye on the prize.
That is exactly the same article you posted in the OP, it’s from may 2020. The one I posted is from September this year and gives more up to date info about their finances. Again, if crowds don’t matter due to tv rights, why would the AFL spend money on a ground (as they make the fixturing decisions) when they have a ground at the docklands that was built for tv?

I suspect that question won’t be answered, as I have asked it many times in this and similar threads. You have your hopeful opinion on why this can happen which I don’t agree with, so I won’t ask again. I hope I am wrong and magically money, logistics and AFL policy don’t matter and you get your wish. I do say again though, getting a small crowd in ballarat is a very different proposition to a small crowd in Melbourne. We are in big trouble if we have a crowd of 7k in Melbourne.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why don’t we play in an Alpaca paddock

Like where it all began???

Maybe wear hats and do place kicks???!!!

Game evolves

Move on!!!

Junction is was and always will be a cricket ground… it has a hard table of 5 decks … which would KO anyone who hit their head on the turf.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 9:03pm Why don’t we play in an Alpaca paddock

Like where it all began???

Maybe wear hats and do place kicks???!!!

Game evolves

Move on!!!

Junction is was and always will be a cricket ground… it has a hard table of 5 decks … which would KO anyone who hit their head on the turf.

Move on!

Game evolves?

What evolves?
Where do we move on to?
VFL Park? Tasmania?
China?

Lords, the OVal ,

Ground surfaces change..

Marvel Stadium may well be gone in twenty years. And it has had a terrible surface for most of its life. Improved in recent years. It’s diabolically bad for TV…the roof has to be permanently shut due to shadows…

I’m not knocking Marvel…

I like it.

I like Moorabbin.

We need a presence in St Kilda…plain and simple…no amount of

1) “Moving on”
2) “Accepting the hard facts”
3) “JO is a dump”
4) “JO is a cricket ground and always will be”…(…like the MCG??? ..and basically every footy oval in the land is just a cricket ground)
5) Cricket Victoria is broke, rich, deluded
6) AFL powerhouse clubs can bully CV around and push St Kilda aside
7) we just spent xyz millions at Moorabbin

None of these things change the fact..

Football and football support is completely romantic and irrational…
Stop trying to rational except tactically.
Rational tactics are good to get from A to B, to get things done is good.
Rational and footy fandom do not compute

Place IS important..
Name IS important
History IS important.

It matters not whether JO was designed as a race course…or a pig farm

The narrative does not move move in one inevitable direction…
It is a contest of ideas …it’s dynamic …and it keeps changing course..as it should.

I just brought this thread back to life because Essendon deserve to be congratulated…as did North Melbourne back when they decided to reinvest in arden St. and change their name back to North..

Stop saying “romantic traditionalist”

We are all romantic traditionalists ….we are all deluded….footy fandom is irrational..enjoy the ride..

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Shane. Take your medication and go to bed. I do not understand why you (and your mate Dave) are so obsessed with the bloody St Kilda cricket ground. I have never bothered to check but I sure Sydney Swans forums are not dominated by supporters putting forward a case to return to the Lake Oval. Which is now a soccer ground! Perhaps, taken to the extreme, St Kilda could return to its true roots at the peanut farm; less of a walk from nearby pubs and restaurants for trendy and obsessed dreamers to frequent than th JO. And, most certainly, Moorabbin.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 9:20pm Shane. Take your medication and go to bed. ....
Yes Trev.
I agree ..I think I ought to.

I am drinking Suntory 'All-Free' no alcohol 'beer' with my chow. And it tastes like p#ss and won't keep me up for long.