Come into my web said the spider to the fly.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Come into my web said the spider to the fly.

Just another reason to hate fat head Maguire.

From the herald sun .com.au

"Why Eddie McGuire couldn’t lure Nick Riewoldt to Collingwood

Nick Riewoldt has revealed Eddie McGuire’s strong pitch to get him to the Pies in 2013 was solid, but one factor stopped him from accepting.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has told how he spent 14 hours thinking about Eddie McGuire and his strong pitch for the forward to join Collingwood back in 2013.

Riewoldt admitted it was a “reasonable consideration” after meeting the Magpies president at his home for a chat. But Riewoldt, who played 336 games for the Saints from 2001-2017, said the lure of being a one club player was too great.

“Eddie actually invited me over for a catch up, I thought to talk about the future and maybe doing a but of radio stuff,’’ Riewoldt said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour with JB & Billy.

“He sat me down, we had a beer, we sat and had a Peroni, he said I’m not here to talk about your media or any of that, I want to talk to you about coming to Collingwood which at the time I hadn’t even considered. I took pride in being a one club player.
Riewoldt says McGuire’s pitch was a good one.

“It was a good pitch. We spoke about the fact (there’d be) big crowds, big games at the G, all of that sort of stuff, it was clear that St Kilda was going through a rebuild. (He said) do you want to be there, is that how you want your career to finish, all of that sort of stuff.”

Riewoldt said he heard again from McGuire just before he was boarding a plane to Texas after the grand final.

“That weekend was grand final week and I was calling the game as a commentator. I did the game and Brian Lake won the Normy (Norm Smith Medal), first year at Hawthorn from the Western Bulldogs.

“The next day I’m on the plane to go over to Texas. Just as I’m about to take off the text messages come through. Hey Rooey, it’s Eddie I know you’re about to take off for the states … while you’re sitting there for 14 hours this is what I want you to think about. And he’s listed the whole pitch.

“It never got to that (money) because it was going to be similar. It was more about the opportunity and playing in big games. So for 14 hours what do you think I had to think about?

“I got a fair way down the track thinking about it. It was a reasonable consideration.”

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Come into my web said the spider to the fly.

In hindsight, I'm glad he stayed with us, however, I wouldn't have held it against him if he went to the Filth.

He gave everything to our club, he is a legend, but if he chose to leave, it's his life, his future, and his decision to make.
I understand pretty much every Sainter would've been gutted.
But 'sliding doors' hey.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

He is a legend of our club and im grateful for what he did, but if he and a few others were on less coin through our peak period, we wouldnt of had mcqualter and Eddie running around for us in the GF's.
Our stars took too much $$$ which left little to the others.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ROLS-LEE wrote: Thu 17 Feb 2022 10:10pm He is a legend of our club and im grateful for what he did, but if he and a few others were on less coin through our peak period, we wouldnt of had mcqualter and Eddie running around for us in the GF's.
One rumour that did the rounds, if i recall correctly, was that half the salary cap was paid to 6 players.

Who knows whether that's a stretch of the truth, or a total fabrication.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

He made the right decision he now remains a saints legend for life

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:16am
ROLS-LEE wrote: Thu 17 Feb 2022 10:10pm He is a legend of our club and im grateful for what he did, but if he and a few others were on less coin through our peak period, we wouldnt of had mcqualter and Eddie running around for us in the GF's.
One rumour that did the rounds, if i recall correctly, was that half the salary cap was paid to 6 players.

That was the Ross Lyon way!
His version of Moneyball.
Pay the champions what they wanted and try to get role players for good value.
It almost worked...twice!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Here is the Football club quote in the Emma Quale article on Paddy McCartin, re the Salary Cap..

"That's what history says," said Elshaug. "Hawthorn had Roughead and Franklin and Gunston. Geelong had Hawkins, Mooney and Podsiadly. Brisbane had Brown, Bradshaw, Lynch. We had our chance, too, but now here we are. And one of the reasons that's happened is because we spent all our money on too few players. We spent it on 10 players, and it left a big gulf. We had 55 per cent of the money going to 10 players."

"More," said Bains. "Just over 60 per cent."

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, and still a lot of supporters want to be paying both King boys $1M+ each a year for the next 10 years.

Gotta use that cap wisely, which St Kilda doesn't have a good track record of!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 9:36am

That was the Ross Lyon way!
His version of Moneyball.
Pay the champions what they wanted and try to get role players for good value.
It almost worked...twice!
Was that the difference between him and Thomas?
One was a self righteous gambler, who has gone broke or been busted 5 times now and the other was a self righteous rambler and has 'built more success than Lyon could ever imagine.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:09pm Yep, and still a lot of supporters want to be paying both King boys $1M+ each a year for the next 10 years.

Max is tied in for 5 x $800k. Ben will be cheaper. Lets not gild the lily too much. No flag by then and you swap them out.

wally
Club Player

I got the impression Dal wanted to stay but club wanted to get something for him and fast track rebuild . Didn’t that work well. I think I read / saw an interview with Goddard who said he wanted to stay. Certainly would have worked better for us as we needed senior players when Roo & Joey retired and those picks we got wasted.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

wally wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 8:14am I got the impression Dal wanted to stay but club wanted to get something for him and fast track rebuild . Didn’t that work well. I think I read / saw an interview with Goddard who said he wanted to stay. Certainly would have worked better for us as we needed senior players when Roo & Joey retired and those picks we got wasted.
I agree with you with Dal. He wanted to stay. Goddard on the other hand wanted $$$$. If we would have had the $$$$ he would have stayed. In the end, the Bombers did and he moved on. Im with the club on this. You dont pay mega dollars for an unaccountable loose defender that was drifting out of his prime.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:18pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:09pm Yep, and still a lot of supporters want to be paying both King boys $1M+ each a year for the next 10 years.

Max is tied in for 5 x $800k. Ben will be cheaper. Lets not gild the lily too much. No flag by then and you swap them out.
How does that work? Sorry mate, but Ben is already on more than Max. He's hardly going to come to the saints for less. Anyway IMHFO, we don't need him with Sharman proving to be not a flash in the pan.

Keep the two first round picks and use them on players we really need.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 9:22am
wally wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 8:14am I got the impression Dal wanted to stay but club wanted to get something for him and fast track rebuild . Didn’t that work well. I think I read / saw an interview with Goddard who said he wanted to stay. Certainly would have worked better for us as we needed senior players when Roo & Joey retired and those picks we got wasted.
I agree with you with Dal. He wanted to stay. Goddard on the other hand wanted $$$$. If we would have had the $$$$ he would have stayed. In the end, the Bombers did and he moved on. Im with the club on this. You dont pay mega dollars for an unaccountable loose defender that was drifting out of his prime.
Drifting out of his prime? He went on to captain the druggies ffs,

According to Roo, those arswipes offered him 4 years while the saints were offering only three. No mention of dollars.

wally
Club Player

I didn’t with Goddard it was a money grab if he had the longer term at saints he would ended up captain , filled the leadership void and most likely got another year without holding anyone back

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 10:49am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:18pm

How does that work? Sorry mate, but Ben is already on more than Max. He's hardly going to come to the saints for less. Anyway IMHFO, we don't need him with Sharman proving to be not a flash in the pan.

Keep the two first round picks and use them on players we really need.
I could be wrong Saynta but I think Max's new contract starts in 23 for $800k x 5. He had a slower start due to injury.
Bens $600k x 2 ends this year. He can sign for 2 more with GCS and may or may not recover next year. He hasn't signed yet, so given the injury, his negotiations will be tricky.
If we offer him $800k for 5 to match his twin we'd have to be crazy, given this study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5482352/
Which indicates that 26% players who suffer an ACL never return, 28% re-injure the ligament and on average those who do return, take 2 years to regain their pre-injury form.
He would want to be cheaper and needs to take a massive risk knocking back a new deal with the Suns, while he recovers. Hope that all makes sense.
I'm with you, time to move on from recruiting injured players.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 10:53am
ROLS-LEE wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 9:22am
Drifting out of his prime? He went on to captain the druggies ffs,

According to Roo, those arswipes offered him 4 years while the saints were offering only three. No mention of dollars.
I say yes. His prime was with us and peaked in 2010. When his contract was up, we was a finger pointing loose unaccountable backmen that got cheap kicks in defence. Not worth 800K+ per year. He didnt captain them for long. Only due to there suspensions. They offered him more years and more cash if i remember correctly. He would have stayed if it was just years.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

This is a very stale, old story not worthy of regurgitation.

Saint supporter since '62
minneapolis
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 10:14pm This is a very stale, old story not worthy of regurgitation.
Burp.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 10:14pm This is a very stale, old story not worthy of regurgitation.
Yeah. I know. He wrote about it in his book but recently retold the story, hence the hun report.

Any chance to put s*** on fat head every everywhere is worth while. 8-)