The Midfield Won Us The Game....Obviously

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Midfield Won Us The Game....Obviously

Thier midfield was severely depleted and we had a couple of handy miffileders missing too.

Our midfield wins and our forward mechanism looks better. Go figure huh, I hope our recruiting team are working hard to bring in midfielders this year.

Hayes didn't set the world on fire but he gives us much better shape up forward and obviously Grimes going off helped but look what happens when the ball comes in quickly and Max doesn't have 3 and 4 defenders mauling him and gets a run and jump at it.

Hopefully the midfield keeps trending up with players to come back.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: The Midfield Won Us The Game....Obviously

We still have Jones,Billings,Clark,Owens & Windhanger in the wings that’s ok depth!

PADDLEPOP1000
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Couch played his best game for the club.

I don't think supporters have given him much love or rated him overly high but that should change quickly if he delivers that every week.

I think he personally upped the pressure in the second half and dragged a few along with him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex, are "miffileders" the German equivalent of Berocca during Octoberfest???

Because after yesterday's celebrations I need some! 😉

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 10:47am Vortex, are "miffileders" the German equivalent of Berocca during Octoberfest???

I feel ya, I need a whole tin of zee Berroccaz this morning. I had a couple of mates come over who aren't footy heads so the plan was to have the game on with the sound down -- with the plan of limiting the beers and keeping fresh for a very busy Monday -- by the time the ball was bounced for the start of tye 4th the sounds was on 11 and there were fears we would run out of beer. The night finished off with an Uber ride to a great Thai restaurant and bottles of red wine all around which was totally unplanned but inspired by the win which was fitting really because the win and the way we played in the second half was totally unexpected too.

This club will be the end of me one day.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Windhager Owens and Bytal looked like Oliver Petracca and Viney in the VFL yesterday. Absolutley a step above the rest.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:05am Windhager Owens and Bytal looked like Oliver Petracca and Viney in the VFL yesterday. Absolutley a step above the rest.
Good to hear Bytel played well. He has to crack into the best 22 this year.

Maybe one of those three get a game this week to replace Higgins. Don't think it will be Bytel though because I read somewhere that he has to complete a block of conditioning work.

Long will take Higgins spot though.

How did Highmore go?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Crouch and King were wonderful and Seb almost as good. But I will offer an unfashionable view and suggest that we actually won the game down back. After Ralphsmith's opportunistic goal, our backline snuffed out Richmond's attack and, working through Sinclair and to some extent NWM, were able to instigate rebound after rebound. Moving Hill forward was another important element of this, as he simply wasn't cutting down back, at least against the Tigers (he was quite good last week).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How about those Richmond ruck tactics at the center bounce at the star5 of the game!?
They did some homework..

As the ump bounces the ball, the oppo ruckman runs around and stands next to Paddy, so they are both tapping in the same direction where a Bolton or somebody is waiting at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock and all their ruckman needs to do is tilt Paddy’s tap, working with Paddy, so Paddy is doing the devils work, as it were.

Damn, I thought! …it worked very well at the start of the game! I was curious to see how we would respond.

Crouch is shining now. As I said earlier, Ross seems to be working at a better voltage, just a bit more vibe about him. Steele is not front and center as much, and seems more stopper this year? No? Huge tackle count.

Incredible momentum changes…

Shai Bolton is just an incredible monster..I don’t know how we would have gone with Dusty, Prestia vs Jones, Bytel also, but whatever set the thing on fire..bravo.. I am still recovering.

In the last , even at thirty odd points up, I was a total nut case fearing a momentum reversal again…

This has to be our best win, since…2000 and something. Better than when we beat Richmond up in 2017.

Edit…special mention Gresh.. I was dubious about a mid role for him, with his injuries..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 10:59am
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 10:47am Vortex, are "miffileders" the German equivalent of Berocca during Octoberfest???

I feel ya, I need a whole tin of zee Berroccaz this morning. I had a couple of mates come over who aren't footy heads so the plan was to have the game on with the sound down -- with the plan of limiting the beers and keeping fresh for a very busy Monday -- by the time the ball was bounced for the start of tye 4th the sounds was on 11 and there were fears we would run out of beer. The night finished off with an Uber ride to a great Thai restaurant and bottles of red wine all around which was totally unplanned but inspired by the win which was fitting really because the win and the way we played in the second half was totally unexpected too.

Well played Sir!

Sanctorum
Club Player

:lol: :lol:

Doubt if the club will be the end of me Vortex, I've managed to survived to age 82 so far......funny thing is that I don't get emotionally exposed while the team is behind, as I know to never expect a win, but when they started looking a threat to win like they did at 3/4 time I started to become really nervous and it wasn't until the 5 minutes to go mark that I breathed easy!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 1:23pm

:lol: :lol:

Doubt if the club will be the end of me Vortex, I've managed to survived to age 82 so far......funny thing is that I don't get emotionally exposed while the team is behind, as I know to never expect a win, but when they started looking a threat to win like they did at 3/4 time I started to become really nervous and it wasn't until the 5 minutes to go mark that I breathed easy!
I know right Sanctorum, the strategies a Saints supporter must employ to stave off madness is required isn't it.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:12am
How did Highmore go?
From what I saw he looked very composed, intercepting everything in sight. Just like last year. He’ll be ready as soon as a spot opens up for him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 1:38pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:12am
How did Highmore go?
From what I saw he looked very composed, intercepting everything in sight. Just like last year. He’ll be ready as soon as a spot opens up for him.
Selection this week will be interesting, if the quandary last week was being concerned about being a bit too tall with all three of Paddy RoMa and Hayes in the side then you'd think unless they want drop one of the backs then he probably misses out as you'd think the replacement for Higgins needs to be a like-for-ike if possible.

St Plugger
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 1:23pm Doubt if the club will be the end of me Vortex, I've managed to survived to age 82 so far......funny thing is that I don't get emotionally exposed while the team is behind, as I know to never expect a win, but when they started looking a threat to win like they did at 3/4 time I started to become really nervous and it wasn't until the 5 minutes to go mark that I breathed easy!
You give me 10 years Sanctorum, but my reaction to the game mirrored yours. I guess it's the experience a lifetime of supporting the Saints that leave us with these coping "barnacles"!
It's great feeling to be able to text my Saints supporting family and friends at the end of a game with "Owen", which is the the cue for us all to celebrate a Saints win, like we all did yesterday!