Hill "cherry on top"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Hill "cherry on top"

I haven't seen the following article on zerohangar.com posted before:

https://www.zerohanger.com/what-cherry- ... da-118572/

It explains the reason Brett Ratten has been banging on to the players "get the ball to Hill" for which he's been roundly criticised by some on this forum.

It also vindicates the decision in 2018 by the St Kida footy department to remedy the stark deficiency in the playing list, there was not a single player with star rating, not one you could consider elite.

At the end of 2018 the club targeted Dan Hannebery who at that stage was a highly successful premiership player with the Swans, and gave him a highly paid 5 year contract to lure him over. As we all know, this misfired when Hanners became crippled with chronic soft tissue injuries to his legs - unlike many on this forum I don't believe this was a mistake, simply very bad luck.

So the following year (2019) they went back to the drawing board and targeted another gun mid, Bradley Hill, and with the Dockers baulking, paid way over the going rate to get his signature. This also made a lot of supporters shake their heads, what the hell was the club doing?? Especially when in 2020 and 2021 Hill failed to make much impact - he was hardly in the form you'd expect from a triple premiership player.

But maybe 2022 will see vindication of the punt by Gallagher & Co on Bradley Hill, as now the St Kilda list has started to shape up with some genuine talent with a number of home grown players finally achieving a standard that enables the team to get the best out of Hill - the likes of Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark, Jade Gresham, Max King, Dan McKenzie, Jimmy Webster all showing vastly improved form.

This narrative complements the excellent post on James Gallagher posted yesterday by killa.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hill "cherry on top"

If Hill can continue his current form playing HFF he will repay the club three fold. A number of us had concerns about his ability to defend when playing across HBF, but I think he has the perfect game to play high half forward.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I've never had any doubts about Hill, he is a gun.
He's a reciever and if I wanted to give the pill to someone it would be him.
and I've said it before..put him anywhere...except ruck :)

I couldn't fathom the crap targeted at him during our losses , started to think that some of our supporters had forgotten the lack of skill by our sides over the previous years.
This guy is one the best kicks in the league and can run all game. all are on the bandwagon now back slapping Hill....funny

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

He’s played a couple of good games this year. I’m not on the bandwagon yet.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 5:33pm He’s played a couple of good games this year. I’m not on the bandwagon yet.
I’m a believer if he plays high-forward. Will be a match-winner and dare I say ‘flag-winner’.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Hill has played some excellent games for the club, even in his first year.
He gets marked very hard, due to what it cost us in trade and salary.
He is such a stand out player that his clangers also stand out very prominently.

What I reckon is impressive is his willingness to take the game on...when he is the only one doing it, it can go pear shaped, but he seems to have inspired Jones and then Sinclair to do the same....and it is infectious, now we have half a dozen players all looking to really attack with their possessions, not just get rid of it.
His effect on the team is under rated.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone notice how NWM and Hill work together on the field. So many on NWMs disposals go to or come from hill. Can some stat genius find me what percentage of NWMs disposals come from or go to hill