Ins and outs v Giants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ins and outs v Giants

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:46pm
saynta wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:41pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:24pm
saynta wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 5:18pm Would be selected in the top 10 IMHFO.
Thats correct Saynta. Most of them mids. But he isn't in the top 5 mids and younger ones are coming. Seb will answer the challenge I reckon but the pressure is on. As it should be in a club serious about September.
Well, we can agree to disagree on this mate.

Who is in front of him as a pure mid who has been playing in that role in 2022?

Clearly Steele and maybe Crouch. Sinclair has been playing back and Gresh a bit forward and a bit mid.

So on my take Seb is in the top 3 mids.

It gets really boring seeing all the attempts to down grade a former acting captain, two times best and fairest, runner up a third time, and a player who has been a major contributor to our four wins this season.

Why, is it because some didn't accept or failed to recognise his early talent and skills and have been trying to justify their lack of football knowledge ever since? I think the answer to that is yes and i have been saying the same thing for years now.

I just hope that Seb has never heard of this forum or if he has, he just ignores the ill founded crap posted about him.
We didnt downgrade him Saynta, the recruiters, the coaches, Steele and Crouch did. Bytel is waiting in the wings developing at Sandy. Windy and Owens have been blooded and at some stage the ball had to drop. It has dropped and Ross has responded. I hope he keeps it up.
No, the coaches didn't downgrade Sebb. They just choose a different role for him since Jones was recruited.

He has now gone back to his original role due to Jones not being available.

I love Bytel and hope he improves enough to eventually replace Seb but that might not happen this year.

Also I have high hopes for Owens, Windhager and Byrnes. They are our future but Seb is our present.

Yep, I hope Seb keeps his current form too. He is a club leader and an excellent example for the young guys to follow.

Saintmike65
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 1:09pm Seriously though

Webster in
No brainer

Windhager Out

Long forward

Windhager Sub
Yep…reckon you’ve nailed it!!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Thats correct Saynta. Most of them mids. But he isn't in the top 5 mids and younger ones are coming. Seb will answer the challenge I reckon but the pressure is on. As it should be in a club serious about September.
Well, we can agree to disagree on this mate. However, I agree with you that Seb will continue to answer any challenge.

Clearly Steele and maybe Crouch. Sinclair has been playing back and Gresh a bit forward and a bit mid.

It gets really boring seeing all the attempts to down grade a former acting captain, two times best and fairest, runner up a third time, and a player who has been a major contributor to our four wins this season.

Why, is it because some didn't accept or failed to recognise his early talent and skills and have been trying to justify their lack of football knowledge ever since? I think the answer to that is yes and i have been saying the same thing for years now.

I just hope that Seb has never heard of this forum or if he has , he just ignores the ill founded crap posted about him.
Seb wouldn't bother with fan forum nonsense, he'd be too busy with his football career. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

My guess:
Jones for Hayes
Webster for Long
Ben Medi sub
Assumes Jones match fit.
Big oval, slippery ball so swap big for smaller/faster. Think Jimmy is ahead of Ben in selectors minds.
Can't wait to find out what actually happens.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 5:48pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:27pm Presumably Webster comes straight back.

Zac Jones is a tough one whether to give him another week at Sandy. May depend on whether he feels he is up to it.

Vulnerable could include Windhager, Leinart, Paton. Probably others.

Thoughts?
Lienert stays in my opinion.
His cleverness and vigour, plus his size and accuracy, more than compensate for all of Dougal's shortcomings.

Jones needs another week in VFL.
Maybe Webster comes in for Paton, who some are saying seems off the pace
Agree on Lienert. He's composed, makes good choices, is an excellent kick. He looks like he belongs in our defence and compliments Howard and Battle really well. He looks solid. Great pick up.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

So Long on Greene, that's bold (a kind description). Webster & Paton are bona fide defenders who have nailed these positions through effort & results.

Long keeps getting moved to parts of the ground because he has versatility as well as not being able to make any position his own.

Webster IN
Windhager OUT

If they want Jones in, they will spell NWM or Long will be dropped.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Long to be dropped…….?? Seriously!!

Where is the objective analysis? His DE is among the highest in the team. His pressure and his tackles provided scoring chains about 5-6 times. His long kicks inside 50 usually lead to six pointers and not wasted opportunities.

What game are you nuff nuffs watching…or are you so biased in your opinion that it prevents you from seeing Ben’s contribution

If we want to play bruise free footy like Carlton or the Gold Coast Suns or revert back to playing inconsistent selfish football, then sure…drop the guy who plays team footy and is one of our best distributors by foot

Saintmike65
Club Player

Webster in
No brainer

Windhager Out

Long forward

Windhager Sub

Nailed it!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Jones and Webster for WIndhager and Long, with Long as medical sub.

We are challenging for a top 4 spot, so there is no point in mucking about.

Long has been great, but I can't find a permanent place for him in the team at the moment. He's a utility player who came in for Higgins and then effectively stayed in for Webster. With both of them available, he's not required. Butler, Wood and NWM could all be considered for omission in his stead, but there are sound arguments against making such changes. Perhaps the selection committee will see it differently to me or, more likely, minor injuries to other players will lead to Long retaining his place.

If he is omitted, he's the best medical sub imaginable.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
minneapolis
Club Player

Note last week some wanted Campbell for Ryder. Ratts went for Hayes. Worked perfectly.

Next week after the game I will tell you if the Match Committee selections this week were right or wrong.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Tough job being a selector at the moment, which is a healthy sign of how we are travelling.

No one really deserves to be dropped, but I feel Webster will be an automatic selection if fit and so will be Jones, if he is ready.

Were there any injury concerns out of Saturday?

Hill, for instance, was down clutching his leg at one stage but played out the match. Marshall? Wood?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 8:44pm
Well, we can agree to disagree on this mate. However, I agree with you that Seb will continue to answer any challenge.

I just hope that Seb has never heard of this forum or if he has , he just ignores the ill founded crap posted about him.
Seb wouldn't bother with fan forum nonsense, he'd be too busy with his football career. :lol:
Gawd, I hope you are right mate 'cause the crap heaped on him from this site alone would be soul destroying.

On the other hand a facebook site dedicated to him is rightly full of praise. Calk and cheese

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 12:57am Long to be dropped…….?? Seriously!!

Where is the objective analysis? His DE is among the highest in the team. His pressure and his tackles provided scoring chains about 5-6 times. His long kicks inside 50 usually lead to six pointers and not wasted opportunities.

What game are you nuff nuffs watching…or are you so biased in your opinion that it prevents you from seeing Ben’s contribution

If we want to play bruise free footy like Carlton or the Gold Coast Suns or revert back to playing inconsistent selfish football, then sure…drop the guy who plays team footy and is one of our best distributors by foot
You correctly posted "What game are you nuff nuffs watching…or are you so biased in your opinion that it prevents you from seeing Ben’s contribution"

Same could be said nearly every week in relation to comments made about Ross. :wink: :wink:

SaintDippa
Club Player

Windhager ready for a rest so out for Jones.
Paton's disposal is a concern. Same for Howard and Battle but they're not getting dropped. Maybe Webster for Paton rather than Wood.
Hand up, Seb frustrated me no end. Now that Ratts has a run run run game plan the runners are turning it on. Who knew!

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 8:09pm

Webster in
No brainer

Windhager Out

Long forward

Windhager Sub
Yep…reckon you’ve nailed it!!
No Way!!!!!!

I think Jones for Windhager is a no brainer. Nothing against the kid but Jones is an automatic in if ready. The only other change I would consider is Highmore to replace Mason Wood. As far as Webster is concerned, right at this moment there is no spot for him. Unless there is an injury I can't see him back in any time soon. Imagine when Ryder, Billings, Hannebery and Clark are also available. How difficult will selection be then? Then there is our very promising youth that need games. Byrnes, Windhager, Bytel, Owens, Connolly and Sharman. They have no hope of playing unless injuries hit.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No spot for Webster? Gimme a break. Reliable, quick and tough and puts himself where angels fear to tread. He will come in if he’s fit.

As for Billings, Clark and Hannebery, all will have to come back via Sandy if we keep winning.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 12:44pm No spot for Webster? Gimme a break. Reliable, quick and tough and puts himself where angels fear to tread. He will come in if he’s fit.

As for Billings, Clark and Hannebery, all will have to come back via Sandy if we keep winning.
Right now, there is no spot for him IMHO. He will be back but I don't think we need him if there are no injuries. If Jones comes in for Winhager which I think is a no brainer, who gets dropped for Webster?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 12:51pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 12:44pm No spot for Webster? Gimme a break. Reliable, quick and tough and puts himself where angels fear to tread. He will come in if he’s fit.

Right now, there is no spot for him IMHO. He will be back but I don't think we need him if there are no injuries. If Jones comes in for Winhager which I think is a no brainer, who gets dropped for Webster?
That’s a selectors’ call. That is why they pay them the big bucks. Vulnerable would include Windhager, Paton, Leinart, Long, Wood and possibly others.

All for getting games into kids when we can, but we are possible contenders this season and need to be smart about it. We need to pick the best available team.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Webster had Covid and if he hasn't fully recovered he should be eased back. Maybe manage his minutes and have Lienert, Long, Webster and Sinclair all playing off half back and rotating off the bench

DMac is in career best form and I love how he and Mason Wood are performing for the team. Their two way running and especially their defensive efforts are one of the reasons we are an improved outfit in 2022

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Was Covid the issue with Webster? I thought I saw him get absolutely smashed in a pack late against Hawthorn and figured that must have been why he missed.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Mason Wood is one of the reasons we have improved this year ... the time he created for himself when he zig-zagged around 3 players and delivered that ball lace out to Gresham was one of the highlights of the match. He is a very good user of the ball.

And Wood is one of our fittest players ... he, McKenzie, Ross and Sinclair ensure we have plenty of run left at the end of the game.

He easily stays in the side, for mine. Why is he being mentioned as a possible out?

From the team balance P.O.V. ... and to give someone else a run
Butler might be the one to rest ... it's just that we have enough smalls - and he's played all 5 games.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 3:43pm Mason Wood is one of the reasons we have improved this year ... the time he created for himself when he zig-zagged around 3 players and delivered that ball lace out to Gresham was one of the highlights of the match. He is a very good user of the ball.

And Wood is one of our fittest players ... he, McKenzie, Ross and Sinclair ensure we have plenty of run left at the end of the game.

He easily stays in the side, for mine. Why is he being mentioned as a possible out?

From the team balance P.O.V. ... and to give someone else a run
Butler might be the one to rest ... it's just that we have enough smalls - and he's played all 5 games.
Butler for Zak would work. Defensive forward, high half forward support and pace back into the 50. Do we start to keep legs fresh and avoid injury while a few come back?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Long on green

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 8:30pm Long on green
Green would kill him in the air if isolated

Would also in my opinion be too smart and turn him inside out

saint4life
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 8:42pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 8:30pm Long on green
Green would kill him in the air if isolated

Would also in my opinion be too smart and turn him inside out
Probably but Green does some dirty stuff and intimidates I’d like to see him Try it on long

They would probably both end up reported 😉