Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

The majority of his 160 games have been very good or better.

If you don’t think so, you’d be at odds with the leadership of the StK FC

But hey, your opinion is yours… it doesn’t count for a whole lot though… does it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 5:11pm The majority of his 160 games have been very good or better.

If you don’t think so, you’d be at odds with the leadership of the StK FC

But hey, your opinion is yours… it doesn’t count for a whole lot though… does it?
Stop changing the argument bm. You said he was dominant. I responded to that.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

For comparison.

In 2017, Dusty was dominant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Jack was better than Seb, he had a much higher ceiling and was a genuine match winner. But he also could go missing when teams put a lot of work into him.

B&Fs are not a good way for measuring someone's ability. In a team full of C graders the C+ will win. In a team full of -graders the A+ would win. Now there is a C+ with a B&F and a bunch of A graders with none. See where this is going?

Goddard, Dal Santo, Milne, Gherig etc. have zero Saints B&Fs between them, Steven has 4 and Seb 2. See where this is going?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Killa
Club Player

Is this still going?

The question is, as (all or any one of) of our emerging midfielders being (currently) Bytel, Byrnes, Windhager and Owens start demanding selection, whose place do they take?

Steele?

Crouch?

Gresham?

Jones?

Sinclair?

Ignoring Hanneberry at present.

I repeat, currently Ross is in our best 22 (in my opinion anyway).

But St Kilda now have quite a few who would rank in front of Ross, before you get to our emerging talent.

And this is debated across page after page after page (noting who is contributing in defence of Ross).

Perhaps a thread rating all players on our List, in order starting at "1"

And see what that produces.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 7:56pm

But instead I will merely restrict my reaction to this never ending nonsense to the observation that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, in support of our lead ruckman

At the start of the game Ross is not in the centra square - and he is not on either wing

So Ross as a 2 time B&F winner has dropped down the pecking order
I must admit I make mistakes. My mistake here was thinking you were an ITK who had a good handle on the Saints, apart from knowing the coach.

Now I am not sure you even watch our games because what you printed above is just plain wrong.

I just watched a replay of the match with particular notice to the centre bounces.

There were actually 26. 4 to start each quarter and 22 after goals were scored.

Seb was in the centre for 11 of these contests, including the opening bounces to both the first and second quarters.

In fact, out of the 14 centre bounces up to half time, Seb was contesting in 10 of them, 6 out of 7 in the first quarter and 4 out of 7 in the 2nd .

Admittedly, in the third quarter Seb was absent from the 5 centre clearances and only took part in 1 of 7 in the 4th. In that one he won the ball and cleared the ball forward.

After half time Seb was replaced at centre bounces, mainly by Gresh and Windhager.Looks like he was mainly playing wing, again something you denied.

Clearly as yet Windhager has not progressed above Seb in the pecking order. Doesn't mean he wont.

Watching the replay it was f****** obvious we were a better side at centre clearances when Seb was playing in the square.

To suggest that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, is the nonsense ,rather than the debate.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:15pm Is this still going?

The question is, as (all or any one of) of our emerging midfielders being (currently) Bytel, Byrnes, Windhager and Owens start demanding selection, whose place do they take?

Steele?

Crouch?

Gresham?

Jones?

Sinclair?

Ignoring Hanneberry at present.

I repeat, currently Ross is in our best 22 (in my opinion anyway).

But St Kilda now have quite a few who would rank in front of Ross, before you get to our emerging talent.

And this is debated across page after page after page (noting who is contributing in defence of Ross).

Perhaps a thread rating all players on our List, in order starting at "1"

And see what that produces.
Yes, see above. :wink: :wink: :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gresham alternates between forward and midfield

Sinclair mainly plays HB - can go inside if needed

Steele is our No.1
Crouch, Ross, Jones, Gresham will also play midfield

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 21 Apr 2022 6:49pm Gresham alternates between forward and midfield

Sinclair mainly plays HB - can go inside if needed

Steele is our No.1
Crouch, Ross, Jones, Gresham will also play midfield
And so did Windhager last weekend.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Interesting Windhager tagged Touk Miller in the second half last week…might he be set another task?

Killa
Club Player

Yes, against GCS, Ross was used in the centre square at commencements of plays

But, if you note, Ross was deployed to use his body to block hence closing down one side of the contest

This was in response to the reputation (and size) of the GCS rucks and their expected advantage

So we forced the contest to a designated area - and 2 on 2 supported by the skills of Marshall as a footballer versus his opponents

And both Marshall and Hayes performed superbly

Our structure was also superb

Mind you, next week is another game against a different opponent

So horses for courses

It is why Coaches earn what they earn

And we will get Ryder back so will become more offensive out of the centre square - so our mids will get first look and spread

Mind you our tactic may be used back against us!!

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:37pm

But instead I will merely restrict my reaction to this never ending nonsense to the observation that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, in support of our lead ruckman

At the start of the game Ross is not in the centra square - and he is not on either wing

I must admit I make mistakes. My mistake here was thinking you were an ITK who had a good handle on the Saints, apart from knowing the coach.

Now I am not sure you even watch our games because what you printed above is just plain wrong.

I just watched a replay of the match with particular notice to the centre bounces.

Seb was in the centre for 11 of these contests, including the opening bounces to both the first and second quarters.

In fact, out of the 14 centre bounces up to half time, Seb was contesting in 10 of them, 6 out of 7 in the first quarter and 4 out of 7 in the 2nd .

Admittedly, in the third quarter Seb was absent from the 5 centre clearances and only took part in 1 of 7 in the 4th. In that one he won the ball and cleared the ball forward.

After half time Seb was replaced at centre bounces, mainly by Gresh and Windhager.Looks like he was mainly playing wing, again something you denied.

Clearly as yet Windhager has not progressed above Seb in the pecking order. Doesn't mean he wont.

Watching the replay it was f****** obvious we were a better side at centre clearances when Seb was playing in the square.

To suggest that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, is the nonsense ,rather than the debate.
Some links to centre bounce attendance.

Excluding rucks for amount of attendance at centre bounce is Gresham, Steele, Crouch and Ross in order.
Jones obviously would figure strongly if available.

https://www.dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/

https://www.afl.com.au/news/745313/midd ... your-club-

Killa is not an ITK, aren't he/she/they To the Top reincarnated?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 21 Apr 2022 8:56pm
saynta wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:37pm

Some links to centre bounce attendance.

Excluding rucks for amount of attendance at centre bounce is Gresham, Steele, Crouch and Ross in order.
Jones obviously would figure strongly if available.

https://www.dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/

https://www.afl.com.au/news/745313/midd ... your-club-

Killa is not an ITK, aren't he/she/they To the Top reincarnated?
I don't need to open your links as I watched a reply while taking notice as to who , read Ross, was present at centre bounces, hence my stats as recorded . I do note and accept killa's explanation posted above.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ross is having his best ever year with us in terms of the overall quality of his play.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Short memory

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Sebby very good again tonight IMO anyway

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 1:44am Sebby very good again tonight IMO anyway
Very good in the second half
Poor in the first

I slipped him a vote but consistency is the theme

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Like many, I’ve been a big critic of Seb. But is there anything better than admitting you were wrong under the current circumstances? Love the way he’s playing this year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Watching the replay has made me reflect on the discussion in this thread. Right at the moment Seb is picked in the midfield ahead of Gresh by a fair margin. Gresh is way off the pace of a finals quality midfield. Still Incredibly inconsistent.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Seb had yet another good game last night. Is there any hope that this ridiculous discussion might cease?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vazelos
Club Player

Ross was excellent he is fitter leaner and is playing his role in a more talented and better balanced mid field I loved his right foot kick to Higgins showed great decision making and awareness.
He is strong bodied and that was needed last night it was stoppages and trench warfare.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 9:09am Watching the replay has made me reflect on the discussion in this thread. Right at the moment Seb is picked in the midfield ahead of Gresh by a fair margin. Gresh is way off the pace of a finals quality midfield. Still Incredibly inconsistent.
I don’t know about this

Between the 2, Ross took the chocolates last night as Gresh was essentially shut out from 1/4 time though he had a reasonable last 1/4.

Great’s first quarter IMO was the best of 8 between the 2 and his best this season has been far more damaging albeit inconsistent, GWS put a bit of time into shutting him down

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:13am
Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 9:09am Watching the replay has made me reflect on the discussion in this thread. Right at the moment Seb is picked in the midfield ahead of Gresh by a fair margin. Gresh is way off the pace of a finals quality midfield. Still Incredibly inconsistent.
I don’t know about this

Between the 2, Ross took the chocolates last night as Gresh was essentially shut out from 1/4 time though he had a reasonable last 1/4.

Great’s first quarter IMO was the best of 8 between the 2 and his best this season has been far more damaging albeit inconsistent, GWS put a bit of time into shutting him down
I suppose my observation is with reference to finals quality midfielders, can you win a finals game with a midfielder who only delivers 1 good quarter or can't shake a tag and influence the game in some way. Right now, if we were playing a final next week, I'd pick Seb over Gresh.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:31am
skeptic wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:13am
I don’t know about this

I suppose my observation is with reference to finals quality midfielders, can you win a finals game with a midfielder who only delivers 1 good quarter or can't shake a tag and influence the game in some way. Right now, if we were playing a final next week, I'd pick Seb over Gresh.
It’s a reasonable argument

Fortunately we don’t have to choose

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Seb Ross, this year, is the fittest he's been ... it makes a huge difference.

He's one of our first-picked players, and deservedly so.

He can run all day ... and still has elite speed and zip when he needs it - even at the end of the game.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.