Saints v GWS...The Mongrel Punt.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints v GWS...The Mongrel Punt.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... estions-2/

Great read and worth the time spent.

Me, being an unashamed Sebb supporter from the day he first donned the red, white and black, paticularly loved the following passage.

"DO SOME SAINTS FANS OWE SEB ROSS AN APOLOGY?

I listen to you guys. I read what you write and hear what you say, and the target of some pretty savage online sledging over the past couple of years has been Seb Ross.

Yet, here we are, the first game of Round Six done and dusted, and Ross looks like a man completely settled in his role at the club, and is working his way back to the form that carried him to two Trevor Barker Medals.

At 24.2 touches per game, and with seven clearances and nine score involvements in this one, Seb Ross is once again an integral part of the St Kilda machine as they continue to impress.

Look, I can understand the frustration the Saints fans felt with Ross in 2020/21 – I watched the same games as them, and at times it looked as though we were watching a player simply going through the motions, but in 2021, it is as though Ross senses something about this team and wants nothing more than to be a part of it. He was on the chopping block last season – at least in the eyes of the supporters, but he turned his back on any potential suitors (or maybe there wasn’t any?) to re-sign with the Saints.

And now, he is paying dividends.

Currently, his combination with Steele and Crouch is working wonderfully well. Ross does not overstep or attempt to be anything he isn’t, but how that dynamic continues once Zak Jones re-enters the fray will be something worth keeping an eye on."

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints v GWS...The Mongrel Punt.

Good read.

Sebby is having a great season.
Most enjoyable for me is that rather than blazing away like he has in previous years, most of his kicks are now finding a target.

Credit has to go the new fitness guy.
Some players thrive with extra fitness and Seb looks like one of the beneficiaries
His chase and efforts to get to contests have been outstanding this year

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It seems a bit hyperbollywoody TBH.

We beat Freo.
We showed guts and desperation to beat GWS.
Yes!
Those final minutes were awesome.

But top four talk?

We’ve been here before.
Under Richo, we were 5-1. We were tracking for finals much later than this in the season.
Under Ratts we were ‘bornagains’ at least twice !
2019, Ratts first few games, 2020, twice, and now again.

We are way better, but we hadn’t beaten a finalist from last year until Friday night.

We are miles and miles ahead of where we were, but relative to the top four, let’s wait for that trip home from Adelaide!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It seems a bit hyperbollywoody TBH.

We beat Freo.
We showed guts and desperation to beat GWS.
Yes!
Those final minutes were awesome.

But top four talk?

We’ve been here before.
Under Richo, we were 5-1.(edit: 4-1?) We were tracking for finals much later than this in the season.
Under Ratts we were ‘bornagains’ at least twice !
2019, Ratts first few games, 2020, twice, and now again.

We are way better, but we hadn’t beaten a finalist from last year until Friday night.

We are miles and miles ahead of where we were, but relative to the top four, let’s wait for that trip home from Adelaide!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think, shanegrambeau, you are saying to keep the lid on it. I endorse those sentiments. Very promising start, but a long, long way to go.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thanks Saynta, top read and great observations.

The mindset of many Sebby knockers must seem to be "he's not as good as Robert Harvey, therefore he must be dropped". When Seb only has to play to his strengths without having to carry the weaknesses of others he is an extremely damaging player.

Saint supporter since '62
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb has been in the top 3 for running at StK since 2016 - fitness never an issue

He runs a sub 9:30 over 3k

He is also in the top 5 for top speed running at around 34kph
Only Hill, Butler, Kent and Jones (maybe Sincs) are quicker

Saintmike65
Club Player

A big thanks for posting this…a hellava good read, with good insight and humour thrown in!

Saintmike65
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 4:40pm https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... estions-2/

Great read and worth the time spent.

Me, being an unashamed Sebb supporter from the day he first donned the red, white and black, paticularly loved the following passage.

"DO SOME SAINTS FANS OWE SEB ROSS AN APOLOGY?

I listen to you guys. I read what you write and hear what you say, and the target of some pretty savage online sledging over the past couple of years has been Seb Ross.

Yet, here we are, the first game of Round Six done and dusted, and Ross looks like a man completely settled in his role at the club, and is working his way back to the form that carried him to two Trevor Barker Medals.

At 24.2 touches per game, and with seven clearances and nine score involvements in this one, Seb Ross is once again an integral part of the St Kilda machine as they continue to impress.

Look, I can understand the frustration the Saints fans felt with Ross in 2020/21 – I watched the same games as them, and at times it looked as though we were watching a player simply going through the motions, but in 2021, it is as though Ross senses something about this team and wants nothing more than to be a part of it. He was on the chopping block last season – at least in the eyes of the supporters, but he turned his back on any potential suitors (or maybe there wasn’t any?) to re-sign with the Saints.

And now, he is paying dividends.

Currently, his combination with Steele and Crouch is working wonderfully well. Ross does not overstep or attempt to be anything he isn’t, but how that dynamic continues once Zak Jones re-enters the fray will be something worth keeping an eye on."

Hopefully Zac Jones inclusion will give another dynamic to the midfield group, as he adds real zip, aggression and run & carry.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 12:17pm
Sorry, what trip home from Adelaide??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Great read.
Seb having a terrific season. I was one of those who had him out of my starting team.
Certainly proved me wrong.

Also, agree with Mongrel about Steele's influence, racks them up in such a no fuss way that you don't notice half of his possessions.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Dis Believer wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 1:38pm
Am I reading the fixture wrong..

We play Melbourne at the MCG after Port
then We play Geelong at Marvel (who usually beat us...?*)
then We play Adelaide in Adelaide

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perhaps he means by the time we return from adelaide we'll know whether we are a top four contender. i'd agree. too early atm to make a claim. win 3 of our next 4 and we are definitively. 2 and hmm. 1 and its a no.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Like many of us they’ve noted his improvement this year. Interesting to note that they described him as “going through the motions in 2020/21” - seems harsh but there’s no argument that he’s really stepped it up

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 10:23pm
Dis Believer wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 1:38pm
Am I reading the fixture wrong..

We play Melbourne at the MCG after Port
then We play Geelong at Marvel (who usually beat us...?*)
then We play Adelaide in Adelaide
Ok, with you now, I didn't realise we were playing Adelaide after Geebung, (I'm generally not aware of the fixture that far out), so didn't realise you were talking about 4 weeks down the track......cheers...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!