So, Where are We?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oboe
Club Player

So, Where are We?

Last year, we beat Fremantle, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS, and Gold Coast.

Same sides as we have beaten this year.

Really, where has there been an improvement from last year to this year?

I thought this year, a fitness level will make a huge difference.

Not after tonight.

Seriously we need to get rid of players who can't perform week in week out.

Bye bye Mason Wood. Bye Bye Ben Long, Bye Bye Dan Butler.

I understand if players have an off game, but the three above have been putrid in my opinion.

No more of shyte - we need much more mental toughness. The above three just are not up to it.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: So, Where are We?

We've lost two games by narrow margins and won 5, not going too bad, should have won today, outrageously poor kicking.

The three players you mentioned all have contributed to the 5 wins, but may come under pressure when Jones, Billings and Clark are available.

I think Windhager is first to go out though, and we still have Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly to consider.

Where we are is a decent side that still has trouble icing games.
I reckon we are about a 7-10 team in the comp.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Lennylegs
Club Player

I understand people being suspicious of Mason Wood but he was actually one of our better players last night. He's played a great role for us getting back to help out in defence.

The story from last night was that if we kick straight, we win. Well done to Port for taking their opportunities.

My god it was a frustrating game. I had a massive headache when I went to bed.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We need to play three marking forwards. That's when we've been at our most potent. Now...that kind of works when Marshall and Ryder play, but when one of them is out someone like Sharman has to play. Having Tom Campbell resting up forward is pointless, and is actually counterproductive. That was a huge mistake at the selection table.

Most of the pieces are in place. Sharman playing at Sandringham is pointless. When he plays, we have a mobile, agile marking forward who kicks well for goal who takes added pressure off Membrey and King and allows our rucks to help in defense and to occasionally drift forward as an extra tall. Marshall and Ryder can also cover the outlet kicks of the opposition. My goodness, hasn't Ratten watched Melbourne play? This is what they do every week. We have similar tools but don't use them.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Edited
Last edited by nostalgicsaint on Sun 01 May 2022 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Oh and Mason Wood/Ben Long two of our better players last night.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 9:09am Oh and Mason Wood/Ben Long two of our better players last night.
Yes, and there were far worse than those two. Particularly liked Ben's game .

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Crickey just going by the eye test Wood and Long were amongst our best. Moreover Wood alone has probably been a big reason for our improvement between the arcs using his significant athletic profile to deliver a master-class in two way running to help out in defence and also to provide the link up in forward plays and kick the odd goal.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 9:09am Oh and Mason Wood/Ben Long two of our better players last night.
Fully agree.

They both did their part and were not why we lost.

Poor kicking on goal was by far the biggest reason.

Overall we were the better side, but were wasteful down forward.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 01 May 2022 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 8:00am We need to play three marking forwards. That's when we've been at our most potent. Now...that kind of works when Marshall and Ryder play, but when one of them is out someone like Sharman has to play. Having Tom Campbell resting up forward is pointless, and is actually counterproductive. That was a huge mistake at the selection table.

Most of the pieces are in place. Sharman playing at Sandringham is pointless. When he plays, we have a mobile, agile marking forward who kicks well for goal who takes added pressure off Membrey and King and allows our rucks to help in defense and to occasionally drift forward as an extra tall. Marshall and Ryder can also cover the outlet kicks of the opposition. My goodness, hasn't Ratten watched Melbourne play? This is what they do every week. We have similar tools but don't use them.
It was comical watching Campbell rucking against Pepper-Powell. Campbell was absolutely useless forward and on the ball. Given that it was akin to a wet game they should have made a change before the game. All round the Saints coaches got far too many things wrong last night, that said we kick straight we win. Having said that with some pro active positional moves by the coaches would have also seen us win. A shocking game by all our forwards and our coaches.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need a second tall forward marking option - step up Cooper Sharman.
We need two good rucks - Jones, Billings, Marshall can hopefully come back in next week.
Those four inclusions alone would bolster us considerably.
Clark back before the bye (hopefully) and hannebery back in the back half of the season (hopefully) and we should be close to full strength.

I think we are where we were in 2020. 5-8th.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Membery was notably off last night. He’s been good this year, but last night he was nowhere.

But what went wrong last night? Someone said here, we were out coached. They changed their game, and we didn’t change ours and it eneded up being a slogathon.

We also didn’t try to use wet weather skills…the players reflexively trying to mark with soft hands instead of blocking the ball - see the ball just slip through McKenzie’s hands as he tried to take an over header. (Not knocking DMac, he’s been great)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

It's been a promising start but last nights loss was disappointing that's for sure. Melbourne & Geelong to come in the next couple of weeks so we couldn't afford to lose to Port if we had aspirations of finishing top 4 . Realistically IMO we are probably above were we are actually at ATM . The Hawthorn win was the only game we dominated for 4 quarters all the other wins were comeback or gutsy hold on wins. Our goal kicking is a big concern we miss way too many easy goals especially away from Marvel. Not all doom & gloom still think we have given ourselves a decent chance of making the 8 but I don't think we are top 4 material just yet. How we back up the loss in the next few weeks will be a barometer of where we are really at , lose to Melbourne & Geelong & we're back to the pack . Lets hope we get a few players back & can win a least one of these games & keep the momentum going .

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We are middle of the road

If we are a good team - we win games like last night

ace
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 12:08pm Crickey just going by the eye test Wood and Long were amongst our best. Moreover Wood alone has probably been a big reason for our improvement between the arcs using his significant athletic profile to deliver a master-class in two way running to help out in defence and also to provide the link up in forward plays and kick the odd goal.
But Wood could not reach down to pick the ball up from the ground.
Fast yes, but at 192cm he has the ground play of a ruckman over 202cm.
He needs to work on picking up the ball while running.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If

Clarke Billing’s Jones Marshall are to come in some have to come out - who?

Wood - Billing’s
Windhager - Jones
Butler - Long to move forward to play pressure role (Long doesn’t fall over and can also take a mark)
Campbell - Marshall
Lienert or Highmore into defence ?

For mine.

I’m also very tempted by Sharman and Highmore (done well in twos) and Lienert stiff..

Gotta make moves to fit people in

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 12:36pm We need a second tall forward marking option - step up Cooper Sharman.
We need two good rucks - Jones, Billings, Marshall can hopefully come back in next week.
Those four inclusions alone would bolster us considerably.
Clark back before the bye (hopefully) and hannebery back in the back half of the season (hopefully) and we should be close to full strength.

I think we are where we were in 2020. 5-8th.
IF we are where we were in 2020 5-8 and not really a top 4 genuine challenger does Brett keep his job ??

Have we improved???

I’d still reserve re-signing till end of season

“Yeah….nah””
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I do believe we are better than last year, but a lot of things have to go right for us to be top 4, but we could repeat what we did in 2020.
I have already written off next week, not because I don't think we're capable of beating Melbourne as they're going to drop a game sometime, but as I have said elsewhere, last night's game in those conditions as handicapped us for next week, Port as well.
But, Geelong aren't as good and we can beat them. Adelaide we can beat, Nth Melbourne definitely.
We have West Coast and Essendon to play yet, plus Hawthorn again.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

You are not alone there as I have seen others on this forum express similar views about our game against the Dees who very nearly got done over by the Hawks.

I just hope and pray that the club and the players aren't as pea hearted.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Top 4, that’s where we are. We were doing it all wrong all we had to do to get in the top 4 was lose

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 7:36am I understand people being suspicious of Mason Wood but he was actually one of our better players last night. He's played a great role for us getting back to help out in defence.

The story from last night was that if we kick straight, we win. Well done to Port for taking their opportunities.

My god it was a frustrating game. I had a massive headache when I went to bed.
Great post mate. Hope you’re feeling better

Not sure what game oboe is watching

Agree with you Lennylegs about Mason Wood. Ben Long was really good all night too. He made a couple of errors and one of those was his decision to dish off to Seb who was 1 metre away from him in the centre of the ground with about 1 minute left til the final siren.

Seb basically demanded the ball and it’s difficult for the younger guys not to dish off when a senior player and former captain is calling for it. Seb’s kick missed the target and the ball went up the other end of the ground and Port scored the winning point.

People think of Long as flashy and someone who tackles and bumps hard, but his greatest asset to the St Kilda FC is his disposal by foot. That’s why Ratts plays him off half back. If Ben had the encouragement of his team mates and more self confidence he would have delivered inside 50 instead of Seb Ross. Ben is a much better long kick at a target than Seb Ross

saynta
Saintsational Legend

4th now actually. lose and go up a position

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We’ll see back half of this year

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne South East

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!