Team v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Team v Cats

Billings ...Sharman IN

OUT Butler....NWM....windhager

saint4life
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for next week

NWM must be managed, surely? Some have been saved by the skirt of a kid. Lienert & Highmore both must so so close!

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Team v Cats

Sounds good to me

NWM bit of a surprise, but he may well need a rest as a skinny first year player.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 7:35pm NWM must be managed, surely? Some have been saved by the skirt of a kid. Lienert & Highmore both must so so close!
I think that NWM has missed because Ratts is very much wedded to keeping Wood in the team. Coaches tend to like players who consistently play their position. Wood does this well, even if he doesn't always achieve that much when the ball comes his way.

Lienert would be next pick to play back. Highmore isn't even an emergency, so I think he's still a fair way off: it's difficult for me to see who he would come in for: he's best suited to the role Battle plays, but Battle is going well.

The guy who must be really disappointed is Byrnes. I reckon he'd have been a good chance to replace Butler. I would guess that Long is going to go forward and possibly Membrey will spend more time playing back.

I'm a long way from being convinced by Sharman, but most Saints fans will be happy about him coming in.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 7:35pm NWM must be managed, surely? Some have been saved by the skirt of a kid. Lienert & Highmore both must so so close!
NWM managed

saint4life
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 7:46pm
NWM managed
So they say.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jake Batchelor has praised Byrnes, esp last week.
Likes him a lot.
I imagine they wanted a tall marking option instead of another small forward.
Cos Cats defence is fairly good, and King has been flat since the Hawks game.

Gresh and Long can both rotate through the fwd line.
We'll see how it pans out
Last edited by WellardSaint on Thu 12 May 2022 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The unfortunate Byrnes didn't take his early chances. Back of the queue now. Lienert stiff but who would he replace. All three young draftees have now been tried and found wanting in some way. A bit disappointing but to be expected in year 1, I guess.
Selected players would want to perform though. We are only one more loss away from wholesale change.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good selection- Billings a bit of class on the ball, and Coops a natural marking forward, as we need to start kicking goals. Harder to match up Sharman than say Byrnes who is an outside runner, but he will get his chance eventually

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 7:50pm Jake Batchelor has praised Byrne, esp last week.
Likes him a lot.
I imagine they wanted a tall marking option instead of another small forward.
Cos Cats defence is fairly good, and King has been flat since the Hawks game.

Gresh and Long can both rotate through the fwd line.
We'll see how it pans out
I don't believe the club is thinking that the Geelong defence is better overall, but that its strength is more in taking intercepting marks rather than in mounting dangerous attacks on the rebound. A taller forward line might therefore be more effective against Geelong than a lot of other clubs.

Let's face it, King, Membrey, Sharman and Higgins between them can't be expected to provide much in the way of defensive pressure, apart from taking the odd intercepting mark.

But, from my observation, Geelong are more inclined than most to chip the ball around slowly out of defence and look for an opening. They only tend to mount rapid forward thrusts from centre bounces and stoppages in their front half.

Anyway, bringing in Sharman is a bit of a gamble. Perhaps it will be an outstanding success: we'll soon find out.

- Jonathan Swift
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Sharman keeps the opposition's intercept marking defender honest. We could have used him last week. King would not have been mauled as much as he was if Sharman was there to distract other tall defenders. He's a natural forward.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The other question is, will one of Marshall, King, or Membrey miss. Is one of them carrying an injury?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm really happy about Sharman being selected. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. A big stage in arguably our most important game of the season. Is Sharman our man, is he best 22, can he provide a chop out to Max, can he work with Max, first game with Max. A tough week to come in and make your mark, no pressure.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:04pm I'm really happy about Sharman being selected. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. A big stage in arguably our most important game of the season. Is Sharman our man, is he best 22, can he provide a chop out to Max, can he work with Max, first game with Max. A tough week to come in and make your mark, no pressure.
We will beat Geelong and now go on to the finals

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:02pm The other question is, will one of Marshall, King, or Membrey miss. Is one of them carrying an injury?
The emergencies are two backs and two mids.

I think that, if Marshall was likely to miss, then Campbell would have been selected as an emergency like he was last week. I've never seen any sign of Sharman being able to ruck, and I don't think the club is keen to use Battle as a backup again.

I certainly hope neither of King or Membrey are going to miss: that would surely defeat the purpose of bringing Sharman in.

- Jonathan Swift
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Slowly but surely this ego maniac of a Ratten is removing all the gains we have made this year. He has taken Windhager and NWM out and he is slowly bringing in the same old players that have failed in the past. With a bit of luck Saturday will be Ratt's last game before Clarko takes over!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
realdeal
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:00pm Sharman keeps the opposition's intercept marking defender honest. We could have used him last week. King would not have been mauled as much as he was if Sharman was there to distract other tall defenders. He's a natural forward.
Exactly. I dont necessarily expect Sharmto kick a ton of goals however he appears to be a natural forward who actually provides movement and leads in the forward line... Hopefully this at least opens things up a bit or provide encouragement for King to start moving more himself...

Worth a shot..

SunnyErnie
Club Player

From another thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by SunnyErnie » Thu 12 May 2022 9:42am

Yorkeys wrote: ↑Thu 12 May 2022 12:10am
or week after if we lose.

Guys that might have used most of their credits
Butler clearly, but injured;
Wood?
Webster?
Jones?
Byrnes, Highmore & Bytel are killing it in VFL, Clark soon come. Owens. Sharman.
A few need to nail their current opportunities or be gonski.
Heat will be right on if we bugger up this next one. Selectors will feel it too.
The selectors have to find a way to get Sharman and Highmore in this week IMHO.

This is how I would do it.

Out
Butler - injured
Webster omitted

In
Sharman
Highmore

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

realdeal wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:32pm
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:00pm Sharman keeps the opposition's intercept marking defender honest. We could have used him last week. King would not have been mauled as much as he was if Sharman was there to distract other tall defenders. He's a natural forward.
Exactly. I dont necessarily expect Sharmto kick a ton of goals however he appears to be a natural forward who actually provides movement and leads in the forward line... Hopefully this at least opens things up a bit or provide encouragement for King to start moving more himself...

Worth a shot..
Yeah takes a bit of attention away from Max but centre clearance will be the key lose centre clearance we lose the game IMO anyway

realdeal
Club Player

Definitely have to lift in that area and our best clearance players are already in the team so no excuses..

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Happy with this

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad side

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:28pm Slowly but surely this ego maniac of a Ratten is removing all the gains we have made this year. He has taken Windhager and NWM out and he is slowly bringing in the same old players that have failed in the past. With a bit of luck Saturday will be Ratt's last game before Clarko takes over!!!
Haven't you been screaming for Sharman??? Seriously, just leave! You are only here to cause angst & issues. Times up.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:09pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:04pm I'm really happy about Sharman being selected. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. A big stage in arguably our most important game of the season. Is Sharman our man, is he best 22, can he provide a chop out to Max, can he work with Max, first game with Max. A tough week to come in and make your mark, no pressure.
We will beat Geelong and now go on to the finals
With Sharman playing I have absolutely no doubt about it.

He will be our saviour.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

King would not have been mauled as much if he'd have used those alleged "Winx" legs.