Long

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Long

I know others got more touches today and all deserve their own thread but this guy has seriously improved his composure with ball in hand - had some very important touches today and never looked rattled through traffic.
It’s super to see him improving
Oh….and it helps he hits opponents like a wrecking ball….he adds the fear/mongrel this side needs
Love it.

“Yeah….nah””
Club Player

Re: Long

'They look at the stats at the end of the day and forget about the 1% ers. Long uses his speed to close down space and he gets a tackle just in time or a spoil just in time to stop opposition players retaining possession. '

above taken from the game day thread. Many on here think this is enough.

Maybe - but for most of the first half Long jogged after Duncan as the cats almost blew us away. Poor concentration? No game awareness. That he attracts plaudits for his attack - fair enough but I would like to know what the coach was saying after the first half.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was well beaten by Duncan - especially early

But do do some brave acts and when he commits to a contest he only knows one way.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 1:20am Was well beaten by Duncan - especially early

But do do some brave acts and when he commits to a contest he only knows one way.
I didn't watch the Melb or Geel game..but listened on radio to the Geelong game and watched all the other games..

Duncan is a class player...I was pondering today, how far is Ross (improved 2022 version) from Duncan? If only Ross could kick like Duncan! Instead of sending those floatie-mortars into f50!

Long is obviously not in that class/league whatever, but he is no slouch. I like his kicking, but most of all, he has shown composure this year. I7ve been critical. From what I had seen - just don't pick him, guaranteed to give away crucial frees in D50 and miss sitters in f50, and I don't give a s*** about 'forward-defenders' - think the position is rubbish. He got his opportunity and has held his place, doing some nice linking stuff and field kicks and passes. Like Ross, a pleasant surprise.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 1:02am 'They look at the stats at the end of the day and forget about the 1% ers. Long uses his speed to close down space and he gets a tackle just in time or a spoil just in time to stop opposition players retaining possession. '

Maybe - but for most of the first half Long jogged after Duncan as the cats almost blew us away. Poor concentration? No game awareness. That he attracts plaudits for his attack - fair enough but I would like to know what the coach was saying after the first half.
Really? Most of the first half you say...hmmmmm. Gee you must watch him pretty closely.

Couple questions if you can answer; Was Long lined up mostly as a forward today?
If yes, was Duncan his direct opponent and is Duncan playing in the back pocket is he?

I watched the replay on Kayo and saw Jordan Lewis bagging him for that incident. Not hard to find positives or negatives with most players
They highlighted a few other incidents too where it was some of our other players falling for the same trap when mids crossover.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 15 May 2022 2:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Composure definitely improved, he brings intensity and now some skill with it.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 1:02am 'They look at the stats at the end of the day and forget about the 1% ers. Long uses his speed to close down space and he gets a tackle just in time or a spoil just in time to stop opposition players retaining possession. '

Do you still reckon Matt Parker has more upside than Ben Long?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 12:44am I know others got more touches today and all deserve their own thread but this guy has seriously improved his composure with ball in hand - had some very important touches today and never looked rattled through traffic.
Oh….and it helps he hits opponents like a wrecking ball….he adds the fear/mongrel this side needs
Love it.
His hit on Blicavs was a sight to behold, it absolutely knocked the big lump on his arse and knocked the stuffing out of him. He is obviously gifted in the art of physics and has learnt how to deliver optimum joules and to the optimum horizontal centre of gravity on his target for maximum hurt.

That was amongst one act by a few players who got us going.

A very skilful display and got a mention by Ratts in his pressure.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Love Long Long Time

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 8:28am
Teflon wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 12:44am I know others got more touches today and all deserve their own thread but this guy has seriously improved his composure with ball in hand - had some very important touches today and never looked rattled through traffic.
Love it.
His hit on Blicavs was a sight to behold, it absolutely knocked the big lump on his arse and knocked the stuffing out of him. He is obviously gifted in the art of physics and has learnt how to deliver optimum joules and to the optimum horizontal centre of gravity on his target for maximum hurt.

That was amongst one act by a few players who got us going.

A very skilful display and got a mention by Ratts in his pressure.
His tackles stick, unlike many others.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Laurie
Club Player

Have been a Long fan just love the hardness he brings to our forward something we lack i feel.
Was involed in some good goal assists in the 3rd quarter

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Duncan had 2 contested possessions and 2 intercept, as a defender. How does that count as beating anyone? When we dominated field space and pressure acts, Duncan disappeared, while Long went to the fall of the ball.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 11:28am

Duncan had 2 contested possessions and 2 intercept, as a defender. How does that count as beating anyone? When we dominated field space and pressure acts, Duncan disappeared, while Long went to the fall of the ball.
Foxtel highlighted how Geelong was beating us. Jordan Lewis thought that’s why we were going to lose the match….

Oh hang on…we won didn’t we? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 15 May 2022 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Love it.
Totally agree Teflon I wish we had a few more like him, he plays for keeps. This extended period in the side has seen him now playing with confidence and his aggression is so so important to our side!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 12:02pm
Love it.
Totally agree Teflon I wish we had a few more like him, he plays for keeps. This extended period in the side has seen him now playing with confidence and his aggression is so so important to our side!
been saying this all along despite all the flack he was copping and also said many times he has that X factor...somehow I just knew he was going to get better.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Two things I’ve learned on this forum,

1) Never blame or criticize Battle and Long
2) Always blame Hill

But speaking of things like, ‘presence’, ‘pressure’, ‘standing up’, ‘crunch’, ‘drawing a line in the sand’ etc., I think it’s a pretty hot topic. Fans love it, coaches and selectors are pensive and the AFL and their corporations are outright terrified of it. Mitch Robinson got dropped the other week. Brisbane choose class over brawn.

Bot check out the Sunday Footy show here….go to about the 60% mark of the video and witness Lloyd advocating a ‘strike back in vengeance’ MO and getting flak from Barret for advocating violence.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Club Player

Duncan had 8 score involvements (whatever that means) from half back, Long had 5 as a forward. We can all cite stats that seem to suit. Long’s game has strengths and weaknesses. Which way will his career go- may e this year we will see.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 5:23pm

Duncan had 8 score involvements (whatever that means) from half back, Long had 2 as a forward. We can all cite stats that seem to suit. Long’s game has strengths and weaknesses. Which way will his career go- may e this year we will see.
Duncan starts a lot of defensive scoring plays. He starts lots that come back too. Given the result, the only stat that can't be disputed, one of them didn't pay enough attention to what was happening in their defensive end and we outscored them.
I'm.wondering what he dominated running around by himself.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I get confused by the worth of some statistics and what they actually mean. During the game yesterday I devised a new stat specifically for St Kilda's use.

TOBFOABLT

TIME ON BENCH FOR OPPONENT AFTER BEN LONG TACKLE

It will be a valuable stat because it takes around five minutes to resume normal breathing patterns after Ben crunches them.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 6:05pm I get confused by the worth of some statistics and what they actually mean. During the game yesterday I devised a new stat specifically for St Kilda's use.

TOBFOABLT

TIME ON BENCH FOR OPPONENT AFTER BEN LONG TACKLE

It will be a valuable stat because it takes around five minutes to resume normal breathing patterns after Ben crunches them.
:D :) :lol: 8-) :wink: :wink: Gotta love 'im.

seano1
Club Player

Laurie wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 11:13am Have been a Long fan just love the hardness he brings to our forward something we lack i feel.
Was involed in some good goal assists in the 3rd quarter
spot on ...he goes in hard creates pressure allowing mistakes to happen which we can pounce on ......people bung it on Hill who is an outside runner and bung it on Long for disposals but they have their roles to play which they do .....were not privvy to what the coaches have told them