Ross Lyon to GWS??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon to GWS??

??

Point to prove?

Bubbles in the juice?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ross Lyon to GWS??

More chance of going there than Clarko.

wally
Club Player

I reckon if he coach’s again it will be a team that he believes has enough talent and resources won’t be a bottom team.
As for Clarke he’s coaching us next year isn’t he? :roll: :roll: :roll:

SunnyErnie
Club Player

wally wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 10:43am I reckon if he coach’s again it will be a team that he believes has enough talent and resources won’t be a bottom team.
I hope so

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

wally wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 10:43am I reckon if he coach’s again it will be a team that he believes has enough talent and resources won’t be a bottom team.
Xavier, Raph or Doc?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 1:35pm
Xavier, Raph or Doc?
Griswald?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that GWS would be far more interested in Clarko than Lyon. They need to rebuild, and Lyon doesn't seem to want to do that.

They need Clarko because they desperately need to remain prominent in the media. If they lose their media profile, they will be dead. They are clearly the most artificial of all the post-1986 AFL teams: they don't have a large loyal supporter base, or even a clear geographical home (are they a Western Sydney team or a Canberra team? I think they'd actually go better purely as a Canberra team, but that's not my problem).

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Clarko might have the chance to become a very wealthy man: not bad for a boy from Kaniva!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 2:23pm I would have thought that GWS would be far more interested in Clarko than Lyon. They need to rebuild, and Lyon doesn't seem to want to do that.

They need Clarko because they desperately need to remain prominent in the media. If they lose their media profile, they will be dead. They are clearly the most artificial of all the post-1986 AFL teams: they don't have a large loyal supporter base, or even a clear geographical home (are they a Western Sydney team or a Canberra team? I think they'd actually go better purely as a Canberra team, but that's not my problem).

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Clarko might have the chance to become a very wealthy man: not bad for a boy from Kaniva!
reckon it might suit Lyon

Small supporter base in remote area.

Highly skilled players.

Something to work with.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 3:00pm
meher baba wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 2:23pm I would have thought that GWS would be far more interested in Clarko than Lyon. They need to rebuild, and Lyon doesn't seem to want to do that.

Highly skilled players.

Something to work with.
They desperately need a better forward line.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 3:03pm

Highly skilled players.

Something to work with.
Incredible given the #1 picks spent on Boyd & Paton plus Cameron, Findlayson, Lobb, McCarthy all departing the club.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Reckon it would be a good fit with Lyon. Still great players in the team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep, if GWS want to sink back into the also rans and never was, recruit Lyin as your coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 9:38am Reckon it would be a good fit with Lyon. Still great players in the team.
Yep
Apart from all the stupid, childish “I hate Ross” rubbish he’ll add a discipline to that side that Cameron never could
Ironically when he announced he was leaving Cameron he mentioned how much he admired Lyon as a coach who when he commits is 110% …and to Cameron’s credit he could no longer offer that.
GWS need a harder edge
Lyon will demand it.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lyin is already a failed coach at two AfL sides. Why not go for a hat trick.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 6:17pm Lyin is already a failed coach at two AfL sides. Why not go for a hat trick.
Yes both made GFs
Keep reaching your good at it
While we are there is Brett Ratten also a failed coach right now at 2 AFL clubs???

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Your continual defense of a has been/never was dud of a coach is embarrassing....for you.

Prick actually cost us two premiership cups , IMHFO.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 4:49pm Yep, if GWS want to sink back into the also rans and never was, recruit Lyin as your coach.
They already are also rans and never weres.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Lyon was a true innovator in 09 with the forward press and pressure and an industry leader and respected coach.

He took Saints & Freo to GF which no other Freo coach could do and no saints coach since Alves in 97, despite us having the best and most balanced list I have ever seen assembled at the saints in 04-05 seasons.

Talk to Rooey or his dad about Lyon, they love him like family.

Would I touch Lyon as a coach now?
No way, his time has passed, move onto the next generation.

He had his chance and couldn't get the chocolates much like Rodney Eade and many other good coaches in their era.

But if GWS want to go for it, knock themselves out!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 4:59pm
meher baba wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 3:03pm

Highly skilled players.

Something to work with.
Incredible given the #1 picks spent on Boyd & Paton plus Cameron, Findlayson, Lobb, McCarthy all departing the club.
Incredible, but nonetheless the truth. As was quite evident once more in their defeat by the Blues.

- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re Lyon: he still has something to offer IMO. Sure, team structures and game plans have evolved a bit since he last coached, but the guy exerts strong leadership over his players, and that never goes out of fashion.

As I posted earlier, I think the Giants need someone with a strong reputation as a team builder: Clarkson or (although neither are likely to be available) Beveridge or Hardwick. Lyon would be beneficial at clubs like the Magpies, Suns and Crows, which are currently underperforming relative to the talent they have available.

- Jonathan Swift
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

One thing lyon demands is accountability- something too few giants have shown over the years. Callam ward a notable exception.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
beebarry
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 2:17pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 1:35pm
Xavier, Raph or Doc?
Griswald?
If Clarke W Griswald is coaching us Im buying extra memberships ....

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

From what I've heard, James Hird may be the front runner right now.
Apparently he is very popular with the players.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 6:27pm From what I've heard, James Hird may be the front runner right now.
Apparently he is very popular with the players.
Wow...OK fair enough.

I think this notion that Llyon is an outdated coach and all....I mean,...how do you know? Just because his plans and structures from '09/'11 wouldn't roll now, who is to say he would be 'stuck' using them?

Surely, he would have different mechanisms/models/game plans etc., nowadays. All the coaches now in the business were around 10 years ago and have changed.

So, I think the, 'his time has passed' thing is kinda lame. Unless you have evidence that his way of thinking is fixed in a mindset frozen ten years ago and he has lost teh capacity to learn.

The most successful coach now is Chris Scott. He was coaching ten years ago. How has he kept Geelong competitive?

Saintmike65
Club Player

Doubt Ross will go for it…seems settled in Melbourne with a good job with Fox Footy & Channel 9.