Paddy McCartin!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Paddy McCartin!

I'm wrapped for Paddy but the reality is he's one head hit away from retirement and a lifetime of medical problems. The club made the right decision.
Its inevitable the head hit will come. I just hope he can live his life comfortably afterwards.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Well done to Sydneyfor taking the risk

No reward without risk

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He’s turning into a handy defender, but would you pick him over Wilkie, Howard, Battle or Highmore?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 04 Jun 2022 11:21pmWrapt?
Comes from “in raptures”, so rapt - and that’s an easy way to remember it.

Very pleased that Paddy is forging an AFL career. Sadly it wasn’t to be with us, but you have to admire his persistence and resilience.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 12:06pm Better with ins than outs?

Don’t think so!!!!
ICBS doing an In v Out but just having Members and Steele in the current team leads me to believe Ins are better than Outs

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 6:36am It was very kind for Sydney to give him a chance and take on the risk relating to him continuing to play. He’s rewarding them for that decision.

I’m still not sure it’s a good idea medically, but there are presumably experts monitoring his situation. But I think he will always be a week-to-week proposition.

We have an excellent backline ATM and we probably wouldn’t have a place for him. And,?by moving to Sydney, He has escaped the pressure he would have always been under if he had remained with us.

It’s a win-win outcome for mine. I don’t think we’ve lost anything by his doing so well.
Except a #1 pick wasted that could have been used on Petracca. Otherwise. All good. :)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 2:21pm
meher baba wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 6:36am It was very kind for Sydney to give him a chance and take on the risk relating to him continuing to play. He’s rewarding them for that decision.

I’m still not sure it’s a good idea medically, but there are presumably experts monitoring his situation. But I think he will always be a week-to-week proposition.

We have an excellent backline ATM and we probably wouldn’t have a place for him. And,?by moving to Sydney, He has escaped the pressure he would have always been under if he had remained with us.

It’s a win-win outcome for mine. I don’t think we’ve lost anything by his doing so well.
Except a #1 pick wasted that could have been used on Petracca. Otherwise. All good. :)
I agree that Paddy was a bust - for us
Looking back who do you think in our current team would go top 10 now??

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Oh, get over it! The risk with selecting Paddy was his diabetes, not concussions.

Saint supporter since '62
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

IMO, how he's performing now is not relevant: unless he eventually becomes a star forward at the Swans, which I very much doubt.

Clubs don't generlly use #1 draft picks to recruit reasonably good defenders. Paddy was recruited as a star forward but - putting the concussion problems entirely to one side - it was pretty obvious from the start that he wasn't going to make it in that role: he lumbered around the field, he wasn't quick enough to the contest and he wasn't a very reliable set shot.

So, given that Petracca was available and was clearly understood by the majority of credible judges to be a potential superstar, the decision to pick Paddy is still close to the worst use of a #1 draft pick in AFL history IMO.
Last edited by meher baba on Sun 05 Jun 2022 3:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 2:46pm

Oh, get over it! The risk with selecting Paddy was his diabetes, not concussions.
I'm not aware that his diabetes has ever caused him any problems on a football field.

His concussions were obviously not foreseeable.

The problem with Paddy, as I posted above, is that he wasn't good enough to become the superstar forward that the club wanted him to be. And this was obvious from the very start: he looked lumbering and slow to the contest from the very first game he played in our jersey. A stark contrast to the raw excitement that, for instance, the likes of Riewoldt and Max King brought to their earliest games.

The recruiters should have been able to see these shortcomings before he was recruited. I think they overlooked them because they were excited by his marking ability and his apparent intelligence. Over time, we also discovered that he wasn't much good with set shots. That's not a disaster in itself: Riewoldt missed a lot of gimmes, as does King. But, because he was slow to the contest, Paddy also didn't create a lot of opportunities.

These shortcomings aren't such a problem for him in defence, although I've noticed in the games I've watched him playing for the Swans that he delivers quite a few passes to the ankles or above the heads of his teammates.

I don't think he'd win a spot in our current backline.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We haven't played the Swans yet and we play them twice.
Maybe three times if we play them in a final.
If we beat them twice (or three times) this season, I am sure we will all be able to move on.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Seems like they’re related from what I’ve read, ie diabetes increases likelihood of concussion. Either way it was an embarrassing s*** fuckup by the club. Handed an opportunity to select a once in a generation type player or a slow undersized key fwd with medical issues. 9/10 clubs would pick the former. Not us

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Seems like they’re related from what I’ve read, ie diabetes increases likelihood of concussion. Either way it was an embarrassing s*** fuckup by the club. Handed an opportunity to select a once in a generation type player or a slow undersized key fwd with medical issues. 9/10 clubs would pick the former. Not us

saintkid
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 4:14pm

Moods is correct here.
All in the past now and was a monumental stuff up.
Petracca right now would have made us a contender, he's that good and was the type of player we badly needed.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 12:37pm He’s turning into a handy defender, but would you pick him over Wilkie, Howard, Battle or Highmore?
No

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 12:37pm He’s turning into a handy defender, but would you pick him over Wilkie, Howard, Battle or Highmore?
No

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm pissed off we got nothing out of him. Absolutely nothing!
That really s***s me. Reminds me of Ball vs Judd. Another monumental f*** up. If St Kilda can win a premiership in the next 2 years all might be forgiven. St Kilda has a habit of making the possible into the impossible. I really don't give a f*** about McCartin. Maybe he should do the right thing for himself and retire before he he cops another season ending concussion.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We make just ONE of the following decisions differently and we have two, three or even four flags now

2001 - C. Judd (3) at pick 2 (instead of Ball)
2001 - J.Bartel (8) at pick 5 (instead of X.Clarke)
2001 - S.Johnson (24) at pick 21 (instead of M.Maguire)
2001 - D.Swan (58) at pick 49 (instead of J.Houlihan)
2001 - B.Lake (71) at pick 64 (instead of pass)

2003 - D.Mundy (19) at pick 8 (instead of R.Clarke)

2006 - J.Frawley (12) at pick 9 (instead of D.Armitage)
2006 - J.Riewoldt (13) at pick 9 (instead of D.Armitage)

2007 - P.Dangerfield (10) at pick 9 (instead of B.McEvoy)
2007 - C.Rioli (12) at pick 9 (instead of B.McEvoy)

2008 - B.Cousins in the Pre Season Draft

2009 - N. Fyfe (19) instead of trading pick 16 for A.Lovett

Those are all Hindsight observations - and ONE different choice and we would all be happy and content!!!!

The one that didn’t need hindsight

2014 - C.Petracca (2) at pick 1 (instead of P.McCartin)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If Paddy didn't have concussion issues we would have built a team around him by now and would currently be a contender and possibly already have won a flag.

He looks really fit and considering how much footy he's missed, and for him to come back into an AFL side and play in a completely new postion and play to the standard he is clearly confirms how talented he is at the game of football.

And he's getting much better every game. He should still be wearing our jumper and I wonder had Ratts got in the joint sooner could he have emulated John Longmire and got him playing footy for us.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Couldn’t care less about him, tbh. Remember, with him continuing his AFL career is both a liability to himself and his club. Plus, he is with the enemy now. I’ll always remember him as the lemon we got instead of Christian Petracca.

Yeah, I know it’s sounds cruel, but I’m tired of seeing former Saints turning out to be premiership players at other clubs.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you honestly believe that, without injuries he would be the best player in the game right now?!

Because many have CP as that!!!!

I reckon, at best he might have got to Tex Walker levels. But more likely just a GOP

He’s slow, unfit and hasn’t got an elite trait. Solid player, extremely poor decision to recruit him

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Paddy is back playing good footy and guess what?
The Brownless girl is back on his arm.
Coincidence?

Good luck to Paddy, hope he continues to go well and has a fine career.

It is however, way too early to call the Swans recruiting of Paddy a success. Let’s see how it pans out in the short to medium term first.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 8:02pm Do you honestly believe that, without injuries he would be the best player in the game right now?!

Because many have CP as that!!!!

I reckon, at best he might have got to Tex Walker levels. But more likely just a GOP

He’s slow, unfit and hasn’t got an elite trait. Solid player, extremely poor decision to recruit him
How many games has he played, is it under 50 ?

Gee he looked quick and fit against the reigning premiers.

To be able to come back from his challenges and learn a completely new role and play they way he's playing speaks volumes to how naturally gifted he is. I'd say that's an elite trait OF a trait.

Don't let ego and bitterness cloud your good judgement, the boy has earnt the right to be on an AFL field.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 04 Jun 2022 10:59pm We have to talk about PMC

Why?

Cos he is killing it

yeah, so what

he won the game for Sydney tonight

yeah?

he ran down and punched the ball into F50, for Sydney's last goal, the sealer...paddy's punch made that happen

yeah, so what?

He has taken a beating, and he just keeps going like a bulldozer

Why do you care Shane Grambeau?

because i suggested he be played in defence for St Kilda
I can remember my group that goes to the footy together being pretty vocal about wanting Paddy to play behind the ball to at least have the game in front of him and stop the head hits. And then Joey M started talking about it on the Friday night pre-game Fox Footy coverage. For a whole season.

It was only that Senior Coaching dolt 'cho that thought that was a bad idea. Thank absolute fvck that bloke isn't still coaching us.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 6:23pm If Paddy didn't have concussion issues we would have built a team around him by now and would currently be a contender and possibly already have won a flag.

He looks really fit and considering how much footy he's missed, and for him to come back into an AFL side and play in a completely new postion and play to the standard he is clearly confirms how talented he is at the game of football.

And he's getting much better every game. He should still be wearing our jumper and I wonder had Ratts got in the joint sooner could he have emulated John Longmire and got him playing footy for us.
Hahahaha. Pure and utter bullsh!t.

Paddy isn't as tall as the gun forwards - nor has the leap of McKay, King, King, Hipwood, Allen, Curnow etc
Paddy isn't as mobile or aerobically capable as say, a Membrey type
Paddy doesn't have the speed of a Butler type
Paddy doesn't have the agility of a Gresham type
Paddy doesn't have the tricks of a Higgins type

So - where would we have built a team around him?

The Swans have done a good job of turning Paddy into a key defender (and bloody good on him for persevering and craving out career 2.0) but his Brother is a more complete player and they haven't build a team around him; let alone Paddy.

Go you red, black & white warriors