Ratts gets 2 year extension - email from President

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts gets 2 year extension - email from President

skeptic wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:03am
Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 10:50am Now we need to have some success at this year's trade table which arguably will be the most important in the clubs recent history.
Agree with this wholeheartedly

It’s interesting because this time draws parallels with 2017 (I think).

It was when we had just beat the heck out of Richmond and were a game inside the 8 with 5 or so to go, and seemingly a bunch of certainties in front of us.

Unfortunately we had a really bad loss to Essendon the following week and dropped 4/5 on the way home to miss out.

Whilst disappointing, I actually felt pretty optimistic about the coach and the list at that point.

My impression was that we were doing a lot of good things, had a reasonable list… and were a few quality trades and tweaks to the game plan away from being a contender.

Unfortunately we didn’t get it done and fell away

It’s kind of how I feel now…
Am not particularly in or out on Ratten. On the one hand I love what he’s done with the list, his leadership and demeanour and at times we’ve played and sustained really good football.

On the flip side, the list has a few holes/needs, most prominently another game winner or 2… and there’s just some operational decision making that I struggle to understand at times (which comes with not knowing all the info).

It feels like if we nail this draft, pick up an Amon and De Goey as FAs or some other elite talent… and iron out other parts of our game, we really should be pushing in 2023.

Likewise if we fluff it… or those guys come in and are busts… that’s going to result in a big turnover of the list as a bunch of players will have pbly done their dashes

I don’t mind a 2 year extension as opposed to a 3.
Be nice to pick up a ready made ruck option too. Paddy is going to be a big hole and you'd think he's only going to be good for a dozen or so games in 2023. What to do.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

mmmmm

even so
like the question of linear results
via expectation planning 'n execution

it also has to end up being filed into the
'sh1t happens during big jobs' cardboard box

coz thats reality of our environment

thus
fred is also correct

lol ... there's that moiety thing again

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:09am
Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 10:50am Now we need to have some success at this year's trade table which arguably will be the most important in the clubs recent history.
Interesting that when praising the players brought in from other clubs, one expensive one was missing.

Agree that Lade & McGlynn should be moved on if only to give clear air in the separation from the Richo era & secure fresh IP.
Interesting times ahead. Will fortune favour us. Delicately balanced is my view. Need some luck and some continued success with recruiting....please.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What's the rush? Were other clubs lining up to sign him? Is he in demand?
I would have thought that we'd have the luxury of letting the whole year, or at least more of it play out, before we signed him. Our last month of footy has been terrible. We played a lot better last week but I would have thought with a tough run home lets see how the team performs. What is the downside of that? Just tell Ratts that contract talks will be suspended until the end of the year - you know, when his contract runs out. I'm not at all convinced by Ratts and am perplexed at how easily many on here are satisfied with what he has done. We have had a remarkably good run with injury this year and are still a middling team. We don't have to win every game we just have to show that we can be competitive in every game. This last month we haven't been able to show that and I'm very concerned. A very poor decision in my view.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

All the haters (and they know who they are), can keep hating but the fact of the matter is we were a middling team when Ratts took over and we are still a middling team when he gets an extension.

There is an excellent post on Bigfooty about St Kilda being in "No Man's Land", which I agree with. Most people believe North Melbourne are closer to a flag than us. And I agree with them.

North are rebuilding now and it is only a matter of time before they start to improve. St Kilda on the other hand will probably continue to be a middling team for another 5 years and never really challenge. By the time St Kilda finally wake up and accept that a full rebuild is required North Melbourne will be a top side again and will be be just starting a rebuild.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
wally
Club Player

This week 2 clubs that are going ok have given extensions to their current coaches , us and gold coast.
A lot of background noise about Clarkson and lesser Buckley.
I reckon any new alternative has been sounded out and said not interested .
Stick with what we have or go untried coach.?
Go for stability change assistants try to recruit a decent player or 2.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:50pmNorth are rebuilding now and it is only a matter of time before they start to improve
Because they have no other place to go but up.
What a typically moronic statement that is!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:50pm All the haters (and they know who they are), can keep hating but the fact of the matter is we were a middling team when Ratts took over and we are still a middling team when he gets an extension.

There is an excellent post on Bigfooty about St Kilda being in "No Man's Land", which I agree with. Most people believe North Melbourne are closer to a flag than us. And I agree with them.

North are rebuilding now and it is only a matter of time before they start to improve. St Kilda on the other hand will probably continue to be a middling team for another 5 years and never really challenge. By the time St Kilda finally wake up and accept that a full rebuild is required North Melbourne will be a top side again and will be be just starting a rebuild.
Wrong again champ. The haters are you and your ilk, not those who support the club.

And for the record, quoting Big Footy turds on here does your credibility no good.

realdeal
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:09pm I have no idea if this is good or bad...me thinks good, I like Ratts, and like the general direction.

But, boy, why not wait until seasons end?

The decision now suggests to me (with NO knowledge other than my peanut intuition)
1) Decision was made a month ago
2) Could not announce due to shocking losses that no one can explain away - I mean really horrible losses
3) We get a win against the tide, and a crack of light appears in which the announcement can be made
4) More losses are feared to be nigh, and we had better do it now
5) Ratt's managers and the footy dep't are in cohoots and it is about their agendas, as individuals

We witnessed the Richo appointment thing in '17.
we watched what followed.

Anyhow, have a winny!

And have a win please...!

Against Freo!

Go Saints.
This in a nutshell.. I too like Ratt's but there was absolutely no need to make this decision until the end of the season...

I also believe we need to add to our coaching ranks in the form of
- An experienced Balme like figure to provide support. Or
- A Mark Williams type for development/ experience.
- A forward coach. Can Roughead just settle in this spot?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Saints president and his board know what they are doing so I'm on for the long haul.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 1:24pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:09pm I have no idea if this is good or bad...me thinks good, I like Ratts, and like the general direction.

But, boy, why not wait until seasons end?

The decision now suggests to me (with NO knowledge other than my peanut intuition)
1) Decision was made a month ago
2) Could not announce due to shocking losses that no one can explain away - I mean really horrible losses
3) We get a win against the tide, and a crack of light appears in which the announcement can be made
4) More losses are feared to be nigh, and we had better do it now
5) Ratt's managers and the footy dep't are in cohoots and it is about their agendas, as individuals

We witnessed the Richo appointment thing in '17.
we watched what followed.

Anyhow, have a winny!

And have a win please...!

Against Freo!

Go Saints.
This in a nutshell.. I too like Ratt's but there was absolutely no need to make this decision until the end of the season...

I also believe we need to add to our coaching ranks in the form of
- An experienced Balme like figure to provide support. Or
- A Mark Williams type for development/ experience.
- A forward coach. Can Roughead just settle in this spot?

Mnnn...
makes me wonder.
I wonder if Ratts has to submit anything like a plan, a re-vision of goals and tactics, comments on the current list etc. in order to get re-appointed. ?? Or is it just assumed he knows what he is doing and it is a matter of the managers and footy dep't settling on a figure?

I highly doubt he'd be being paid a fortune, but that should not be used to justify re-appointment.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Interesting timing for the club to give him an extension. But leaving the decision until the end of the season could be fraught. It’s going to be a fascinating next 2 years.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Freo's paying $4 for +25
Get on

In red white and black from 73
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Torn

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Not surprised by the extension but not entirely sure if it's the right decision but it's been made & so we move on . I hope the people calling the shot's have got it right I guess we will have to wait & see . All the best Ratt's I hope you get the job done.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

My objection is that Clarko is available.

OK, so he might have said, "Nah, you've already got a coach" because Ratten served under him.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't take the job is it became avaialble. I believe he would.

Clarko is no gamble. Won four flags. He can win premierships.

Ratten is a gamble. Over eight seasons as coach and best reeults minor finals appearances.

Neverheless you just knew the club made this decision weeks ago, drunk on theior own success, and were just waiting for a win to announce it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. No lessons learned from the previous administration's mistakes.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 5:19pm My objection is that Clarko is available.

OK, so he might have said, "Nah, you've already got a coach" because Ratten served under him.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't take the job is it became avaialble. I believe he would.

Ratten is a gamble. Over eight seasons as coach and best reeults minor finals appearances.

Neverheless you just knew the club made this decision weeks ago, drunk on theior own success, and were just waiting for a win to announce it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. No lessons learned from the previous administration's mistakes.
100% agree with you Waltzing.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 1:09pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:50pm All the haters (and they know who they are), can keep hating but the fact of the matter is we were a middling team when Ratts took over and we are still a middling team when he gets an extension.

Wrong again champ. The haters are you and your ilk, not those who support the club.

And for the record, quoting Big Footy turds on here does your credibility no good.
The Saints weren’t middle of the road in 2018. This was Richo’s last full year and we ended up with Max King at pick 4 in the National Draft. You don’t get pick 4 by being ‘middle of the road’.

Ratts took over from Richardson when the Saints were no where near where we are now. Richo was at 6 wins and 10 losses in 2019 when he finally realised he wasn’t cut out for the senior coaching role

Some fwits just don’t get their facts straight when they are trying very hard to be negative about our footy club

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches ... dson1.html

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:12am
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:00am This decision best illustrates why we have been the worst performing club in the history of the game and the laughingstock of the entire competition. Ratts took over from Richo when we were a mid table team. Three years later we are still a mid table team, so what do we do, we reward Ratts with a contract extension.
:roll: :roll:
Apparently we were a mid table team in 2018 and for Richo’s last year of coaching in 2019. How is 4 wins and draw and 17 losses or 6 wins and 10 losses mid table?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp- ... rdson--100

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:12am
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 11:00am This decision best illustrates why we have been the worst performing club in the history of the game and the laughingstock of the entire competition. Ratts took over from Richo when we were a mid table team. Three years later we are still a mid table team, so what do we do, we reward Ratts with a contract extension.
:roll: :roll:
As Sam Newman would say "You .......".

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We should have waited until the end of this year according to some

That way…not only would we have Clarko and Nathan Buckley as options but maybe even Ben Rutten might become available

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Put it to a vote members

What would make you happier?

Scenario A
Two year extension right now, St Kilda’s season a complete unknown

Scenario B
We win 13. Finish 9th.
Three year extension.

You now know that his two years will be up mid season in 2024…again, we will be in this vague position

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:38pm What's the rush? Were other clubs lining up to sign him? Is he in demand?
I would have thought that we'd have the luxury of letting the whole year, or at least more of it play out, before we signed him. Our last month of footy has been terrible. We played a lot better last week but I would have thought with a tough run home lets see how the team performs. What is the downside of that? Just tell Ratts that contract talks will be suspended until the end of the year - you know, when his contract runs out. I'm not at all convinced by Ratts and am perplexed at how easily many on here are satisfied with what he has done. We have had a remarkably good run with injury this year and are still a middling team. We don't have to win every game we just have to show that we can be competitive in every game. This last month we haven't been able to show that and I'm very concerned. A very poor decision in my view.
Same. Rubbish decision. I have serious doubts about Ratten. Should have at least waited until the season is over. Same people did the same thing with Richo. Rewarded mediocrity mid-season and trumpeted it as the future. Am in the minority probably, but that’s what I think. So St.Kilda.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 5:19pm My objection is that Clarko is available.

Agree

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ratts doesn’t have the list.

Apart from Steele and King, we are basically devoid of star power.

Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 08 Jul 2022 7:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.