Next year- Sincs for captain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Next year- Sincs for captain?

Hear me out.
Steele is an amazing player, he is highly motivated and driven.
Talented, well respected.

Let's reward Sincs with the captaincy next year.
OK, it won't work that way as the leadership group is named, and those fellas vote on the captain.

Sincs has worked so hard on his game, his strength, his fitness, he certainly does the #35 proud.
I would prefer Sincs to Dougal.
And give Steele a break for a year.
It's not a demotion, it's simply to share the role and confirm that another guy can lead the team.

No, I'm not Sunny Ernie by another name πŸ™Š

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Next year- Sincs for captain?

Being captain of a club isn’t a reward because you play well. More to being a leader than being the best player.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sincs is doing fine where he is.
Not a captain

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I shouldn't have said 'reward'.

But I believe that the great progress shown by Sincs can be a template for others to follow, i.e. his work ethic and preparation, etc can be followed by others (suitably tweaked for different body types and metabolism).

He can be sort of held up as a standard that others should aim to emulate.
Be the best you can be, follow his example, etc

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It's getting more bat shyte crazy on this board

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If he has all the leadership skills required and Steele is happy to hand over the baton, then sure, why not give him a shot!

Perhaps a change in captaincy could help bring in a much needed new team dynamic.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:29am Hear me out.

OK, it won't work that way as the leadership group is named, and those fellas vote on the captain.

Sincs has worked so hard on his game, his strength, his fitness, he certainly does the #35 proud.
It's not a demotion, it's simply to share the role and confirm that another guy can lead the team.

I watched Sinclair closely on Saturday. He and Gresh fumble the ball more than just a bit. No clean hands here and it f****** costs us along with others who continually drop marks.

So a big no from me.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 10:30am

I watched Sinclair closely on Saturday. He and Gresh fumble the ball more than just a bit. No clean hands here and it f****** costs us along with others who continually drop marks.

So a big no from me.
You have got to be joking. Sinclair is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest player in the team. It’s WHY he’s so valuable. Gresham does double grab on occasion

SunnyErnie
Club Player

As far as captaincy goes I believe it should be Owens. He has not been St Kilda'd yet so would be the man to lead this team for the next 15 years. He is hard at it and never gives up. Owens captain from 2023 onwards...
Last edited by SunnyErnie on Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 10:56am

So a big no from me.
You have got to be joking. Sinclair is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest player in the team. It’s WHY he’s so valuable. Gresham does double grab on occasion
Agreed wholeheartedly.

This would be one of the most peculiar observations I’ve read in a while.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Steele is the best choice for captain. However Howard needs to have his leadership role questioned after his season of terrible body language and blaming his team mates for his own piss poor efforts. Thats not onfield leadership...

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 8:22am It's getting more bat shyte crazy on this board
So I'm not allowed to voice an opinion about something?

My connection to the club has been paying an interstate membership for decades, only seeing them play live once a year, occasionally twice, while others living in Melbourne refuse to turn up to support 'their" team out of spite...

You'd be one of those who loudly deny being a member after a bad loss, yet as soon as the Saints win a couple, you'd be wearing the 2nd hand polo shirt bought at an opshop for $3...
Crowing about 'our big win'.

Spare me, Your Majesty
πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We lament the lack of leadership in the team and the club does nothing about it.
It's seriously time to go back to the system that Grant Thomas implemented. Give a player the captaincy for a year and you make them a leader for their career.
The system that gave us Hammil, Ball, Hayes, and Riewoldt as leaders worked a treat. I was dubious and thought it diminished the role. But it had the contrary effect.

We should have implemented this after Roo gave up the captaincy but we appointed Geary for years and created a dearth of leaders.
We are yet to recover from this.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 11:05am As far as captaincy goes I believe it should be Owens. He has not been St Kilda'd yet so would be the man to lead this team for the next 15 years. He is hard at it and never gives up. Owens captain from 2023 onwards...
You're as funny as a fart in an elevator!
And we're all left with the stench.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 4:27pm
Vortex wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 8:22am It's getting more bat shyte crazy on this board

My connection to the club has been paying an interstate membership for decades, only seeing them play live once a year, occasionally twice, while others living in Melbourne refuse to turn up to support 'their" team out of spite...

You'd be one of those who loudly deny being a member after a bad loss, yet as soon as the Saints win a couple, you'd be wearing the 2nd hand polo shirt bought at an opshop for $3...

Spare me, Your Majesty
πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
I will not spare you, think then type, It's just a wierd suggestion, not deeply rooted in reality. And look what you've done, you've attracted other wierdos to pile on.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 5:35pm

Spare me, Your Majesty
πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
I will not spare you, think then type, It's just a wierd suggestion, not deeply rooted in reality. And look what you've done, you've attracted other wierdos to pile on.
Being branded 'a weirdo' ?
History shows that 'weirdos' are laterr touted as visionaries, ahead of their time, etc.
Copernicus, Kepler, Einstein, Tesla, Socrates, all derided and pilloried for their views.

I'll take 'weirdo' amy day, thanks, rather than 'vanilla' and 'mindless automaton' and 'sheep'

πŸ™†β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 5:56pm
Vortex wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 5:35pm

Spare me, Your Majesty
πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
Being branded 'a weirdo' ?
History shows that 'weirdos' are laterr touted as visionaries, ahead of their time, etc.
Copernicus, Kepler, Einstein, Tesla, Socrates, all derided and pilloried for their views.

I'll take 'weirdo' amy day, thanks, rather than 'vanilla' and 'mindless automaton' and 'sheep'

πŸ™†β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
good, I'm glad we've sorted that out.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why?

The captaincy is the least of our worries

Steele
Obvious Captain

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:07pm Steele is the best choice for captain. However Howard needs to have his leadership role questioned after his season of terrible body language and blaming his team mates for his own piss poor efforts. Thats not onfield leadership...
Perhaps we include King in the leadership group to balance it out...you know, like a Scale of Leadership.

StPeter
Club Player

So a big no from me.
I find your statement ridiculously wrong. Sinclair is probably the cleanest handler of the ball in the team. I agree about Gresh and I would have no objection to Hill being included in your statemet. Even if your statement was correct, your observation on Sinclair's ball handling in ONE game is no reason to exclude him from consideration as captain.

Having said that I believe our current captain is the right man for the job. If the powers that be think Sinclair has the qualities of leadership I am sure he can be in the leadership team next year.

StPeter
Club Player

So a big no from me.
I find your statement ridiculously wrong. Sinclair is probably the cleanest handler of the ball in the team. I agree about Gresh and I would have no objection to Hill being included in your statemet. Even if your statement was correct, your observation on Sinclair's ball handling in ONE game is no reason to exclude him from consideration as captain.

Having said that I believe our current captain is the right man for the job. If the powers that be think Sinclair has the qualities of leadership I am sure he can be in the leadership team next year.

StPeter
Club Player

So a big no from me.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 7:10pm Why?

The captaincy is the least of our worries

Steele
Obvious Captain
I'm with you BM Jack Steele has been a good Captain leads by example no brainer IMO

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It appears we lack leadership across the field when the game turns against us.

I’m not sure if this can be fixed easily.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: ↑Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:07pm Steele is the best choice for captain. However Howard needs to have his leadership role questioned after his season of terrible body language and blaming his team mates for his own piss poor efforts. Thats not onfield leadership...
They put up with flapping arms and poor body language under Rooy so why not follow on with club tradition.

Roo took a while to embrace his role as a mentor and as a teacher. He was always trying to speed up our rebuild so the team could challenge again. Howard isn’t fit to tie Roo’s shoe laces at this early stage of his career, so much room for improvement there.

In all seriousness, we have the right captain in my opinion and we can have a united collective. I just hope the club bite the bullet and go to the National draft again in 2022.

Sure, we may pick up Amon or De Goey or Tarranto or a combination, BUT we need more good young players and we need to build from within. The organic growth and building a core group that can gell together over a few years is the way to go