Our Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Our Captain

Watch the replay, our Captain threw the towel in.

I hope the media picks up on it.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Our Captain

Vortex wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 12:18pm Watch the replay, our Captain threw the towel in.

So if your perception is accurate Dr Google, (and you a judging a guy who came back early from a shoulder injury and is laboring) instead of wanting the senior club personnel to pick up on this and work with a relatively inexperienced captain to improve and mentor Jack, you “hope” for him to be negatively portrayed and dissected by the media.

If your claim has any merit I hope the club deals with it professionally in house, but each to their own.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Sun 17 Jul 2022 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 12:18pm Watch the replay, our Captain threw the towel in.

f****** rubbish. and beneath you champ.

Crossy66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 4:01pm

f****** rubbish. and beneath you champ.
Actually, the opposite. He was throwing himself in kamikaze style trying to lead by example. Also reckon he may have dropped a bit of condition due to the shoulder. Least of our problems.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I know all the guys have a crack, but nobody leading by example- all running at 75%

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The gutsiest thread I’ve seen on here for awhile. Wrong but gutsy

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was Jones, Crouch, Gresham, Billings and Hill? I thought it was poor communication and a poor set up.

So he’s the problem? Right…hmmm..didn’t he have the most tackles of any one in the team?

I thought it was poor skills and poor kicking from his team mates.

I’m watching the game now on replay. Not even half way into the third quarter

When did he throw the towel in? Was it early on at the start of the game after about 5 turnovers from poor kicking or was after the poor attempts at tackling at the start of the game or was it because he couldn’t handle watching his team mates fumble and lose early contests in the middle

We were 5 goals down at quarter time and then we were 7 goals down halfway through the second quarter ….

Or did he throw the towel in five minutes into the third quarter when we got 8 goals down?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 4:42pm

The gutsiest thread I’ve seen on here for awhile. Wrong but gutsy
No Gutz No Glory

The Captain looked disinterested, lacked energy, was sooky. Our onfield leadership has deserted us once again.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Trying to psycho-analyse players' body language from your couch in the comfort of your home Vortex? You have been fixated on condemning Max King in recent times and now you believe Jack Steele dropped his bundle at some point on Friday night?

Come on, you can't be serious - it is quite contrary to your usual sensible observations and comments on this forum.

Mind you, I will agree with you if you're suggesting Steele is not a very aggressive leader of his players because I can't recall ever seeing him getting into a players face when that is warranted, and on Friday night there were any number of instances where this should have been done.

On-field leadership - such a crucial part of successful professional sporting teams, and St Kilda does not have a single player that can fill that role. No wonder the team's in a death spiral after such a good start to the season. I'm not usually into colourful language, but right now the players collectively are piss weak!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Steele...from messiah to a very naughty boy in a heart beat...the sun was literally blasting from his rectum not so long ago........... seeing my side lose the way they do is depressing.

But coming on here and absorbing the wisdom bestowed upon us by the arm chair sears somehow keeps me bouyed.. I mean we even have a village idiot.

from time to time there is input that makes sense but usually the blatantly obvious dominates
It is cathartic in a strange way.

Carry on :)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Won’t have it

He’s a jet

Best since Lenny imo

Gershwin
Club Player

Feel sorry for the bloke. Captaincy doesn't sit well on him. That's not a failure, it just doesn't suit the quiet types. But who do we go with?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Disagree with the op

Is it any coincidence that we’ve been poor as a team while Jack Steele was out of the side,
and we haven’t quite gained our early season form.

He is a dual All Australian and he did his AC joint against the Cats in round 10 or 11 or around that time.
We won against North Melbourne and Adelaide, but after the break
we have been a shell of the side that played and beat the Cats.

The drop off in form in the playing group has been evident since Steele went out of the side.
When he came back in we had a really poor loss in his first game back and bounced back
against the Blues (which we could have also lost if Carlton had their kicking boots on),
but it’s not easy for a team who is low in quality in our midfield to sustain peak form.
You need an even contribution and you need some luck with injuries.

If you ignore the coaching and game plan and every other aspect that affects team performance
and we just focus on individuals’ skills and individuals’ form lines, we have a lot of players
who are struggling at the moment. On all lines

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 6:59pm Feel sorry for the bloke. Captaincy doesn't sit well on him. That's not a failure, it just doesn't suit the quiet types. But who do we go with?
Agree with BM, he's a jet

I agree with you too, Captaincy doesn't sit well with him.

Reminds me of Cochin at the Tiges in his first year or two of Captaincy. Was accused of being too nice too quiet.

But this is my point, nobody should be above criticism especially the Captain and he needs to improve his leadership.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think the Captaincy sits well with him

The captaincy is even less important than the coach

In the ten most important roles in footy clubs
It sits 9th or 10th

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If Steeley is ok with being captain why not send he and Wilkes to the Harvard leadership course, like we did for the Melbourne Director of Football. We need to develop institutional leadership somehow.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 11:56pm I think the Captaincy sits well with him

The captaincy is even less important than the coach

In the ten most important roles in footy clubs
It sits 9th or 10th
Ok let's just consider his sooky on field behaviour as just one of 22 players, is it any less acceptable.

We've got a few in our team too, one in the backline, a couple in the midfield, and one in the forward line. We've got sooky leadership covered across the ground.

Yep I'm convinced the reason we have imploded in less than 4 weeks is because of a coach. No accountability whatsoever should be placed on our sook players who throw the towel in when the going gets tough.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

In one game recently, might have been Bombers, early in the first qtr, ball was near boundary line with Steele, another Saint, and 2 oppo guys...
Steele+other Saint pulled up thinking it had gone over OOB.
But, when oppo swept it away, Steele turned to glare at field ump with hands on hips like 'OMG are you freakin blind?'

Geezus, that's like Nick Kyrgios stopping mid-rally and yelling at chair ump that the ball was clearly out

😡🤬

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 11:19am In one game recently, might have been Bombers, early in the first qtr, ball was near boundary line with Steele, another Saint, and 2 oppo guys...
But, when oppo swept it away, Steele turned to glare at field ump with hands on hips like 'OMG are you freakin blind?'

Geezus, that's like Nick Kyrgios stopping mid-rally and yelling at chair ump that the ball was clearly out

😡🤬
I remember that incident well and I remember being embarrassed not only because it's the elite level and they train that stuff at Auskick but also becaue one of the players was our Captain. We've got a few sooks that are quick to give up and complain and finger point and be openly demonstrative with teammates.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 12:16pm
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 11:19am In one game recently, might have been Bombers, early in the first qtr, ball was near boundary line with Steele, another Saint, and 2 oppo guys...

😡🤬
I remember that incident well and I remember being embarrassed not only because it's the elite level and they train that stuff at Auskick but also becaue one of the players was our Captain. We've got a few sooks that are quick to give up and complain and finger point and be openly demonstrative with teammates.
Vortex,

Are you sure he played against Essendon

Why don’t you stick to topics that you are vaguely familiar with? Maybe you might convince us about those subjects, but you usually get found out when you start talking about the game of aussie rules footy. You don’t watch many matches do you? Do you even know what number our captain wheres on his back?

You continue to embarrass yourself by talking through your rear end and making up stuff that is miles from the truth. WellardSaint has just set you up the way Tex Walker set up Nathan Brown. Well done Wellard….even if you didn’t mean it 8-)

Go to the 23.20 mark on the video

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 2:06pm

😡🤬
Vortex,

Why don’t you stick to topics that you are vaguely familiar with? Maybe you might convince us about those subjects, but you usually get found out when you start talking about the game of aussie rules footy. You don’t watch many matches do you? Do you even know what number our captain wheres on his back?

You continue to embarrass yourself by talking through your rear end and making up stuff that is miles from the truth. WellardSaint has just set you up the way Tex Walker set up Nathan Brown. Well done Wellard….even if you didn’t mean it 8-)

I thought you didn't watch footy with the sound? Should I watch that video with sound up or down?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

F@ck me....of all the players to have a go at ....

I have NEVER seen Steele lower the flag...pretty sh1te assessment.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

😡🤬
Vortex,

The actual opponent is irrelevant.
The fact is, it happened in a game just like I said.
Except for the opponent.
Might have been Swans.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 5:04pm

😡🤬
Vortex,

The actual opponent is irrelevant.
The fact is, it happened in a game just like I said.
Except for the opponent.
Might have been Swans.
Scollop might have missed it because he watches games with the sound down.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I watched the whole match replay against The Dogs and watched Jack play his heart out. This is a guy who has come back from serious injury and without him, we would have struggled to get over the line against Carlton.

Why didn’t you specify the incident in your op? You’re not only gutless. But you’re clueless.

If you think you’re more observant than every one else because Steele missed a tackle or lost a ground ball contest with 1 minute to go in the match (and I understand how it could have been perceived as not giving 100% effort) and you believe that he ‘threw the towel in’ you’re a bigger turd than I thought you were

You’re a turd swirling in a vortex. If you were in a super hero movie, your name would be Latrine Man

If you think you’re going to have a perfect human and a perfect footballer as captain, I’m sorry so say that, you’re living in fairy land

Was Roo the perfect footballer and captain? Was Geary?

But…hey….even in the world of super heroes, they have weaknesses and flaws too. Superman had a weakness. Kryptonite was a bugger for him apparently
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 19 Jul 2022 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.