Crouch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

Crouch

When we picked up Brad a lot of people said we got the wrong Crouch, now Matt is apparently up for grabs for little cost pick wise, might be worth reuniting them? :)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crouch

Might be a good depth player if he came very cheaply.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/blackl ... 6d0e5bc3be

Another similar mid paced player who doesn't hurt the opposition with disposal, similar player but not as good right now as his brother & Seb.
Would be very handy at the right price (late 3rd or 4th rounder and Adelaide pays part of salary) as midfield depth, we were certainly lacking depth when Steele was out injured.

I'd be disappointed if we recruited him and it was to the detriment of NWM, Windy or Mitch as I'd like to see them developed with senior exposure as they are ready. Upgrade on Bytel and a decent mature bodied replacement for Hannebery on the list.

Certainly may come very cheap given he appears on the outer at Adelaide.
Brad has done very well at the Saints and Matt may well emulate this if he comes across.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Matt Crouch is 27, a year younger than Brad. If they are better players when in the same team that would be good, but he would need to be dirt cheap to win me over. He's signed to end 2023 but as has been mentioned he's obviously not in Crows best 22, playing just 11 out of 18 games, so that could mean they'd be happy to see him go.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Was Matt an All-Australian?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 1:09pm Matt Crouch is 27, a year younger than Brad. If they are better players when in the same team that would be good, but he would need to be dirt cheap to win me over. He's signed to end 2023 but as has been mentioned he's obviously not in Crows best 22, playing just 11 out of 18 games, so that could mean they'd be happy to see him go.
Brad had a fairly public falling out with Nick's which the club made worse by using Brad in a Nick's promotional video.

Stands to reason the brother and Nicks don't get along either.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 1:42pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 1:09pm Matt Crouch is 27, a year younger than Brad. If they are better players when in the same team that would be good, but he would need to be dirt cheap to win me over. He's signed to end 2023 but as has been mentioned he's obviously not in Crows best 22, playing just 11 out of 18 games, so that could mean they'd be happy to see him go.
Brad had a fairly public falling out with Nick's which the club made worse by using Brad in a Nick's promotional video.

Well, no idea if that is true, but if so...it goes somewhere towards explaining why Matt may have fallen off..

Now then, how good is Matt?

Behind Ross?
Jones?

I think North might get him.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Yup, finished at Adelaide. Therefore should be pretty easy to get him, he can spin the "I wan't to play with my brother" line.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 1:50pm

Well, no idea if that is true, but if so...it goes somewhere towards explaining why Matt may have fallen off..

Now then, how good is Matt?

Behind Ross?
Jones?

I think North might get him.
At his peak he was having a blinder in the 2017 Grand Final in the first half. So is capable but a long time ago and I think it's a case of more about our list needs and he's probably too much of the same thing we already have. That's on the back of not knowing how Windy and Owens will fit into the midfield. Are they just going to be more of what we already have and be incapable of winning contested ball and line breaking goal kickers with good, long clean disposal by foot? Because that's what we need. Shout out to De Goey if ya reading SS.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If he's not up to it at a dud team like the Crows, why would we want him.
He has flaws with his game that Nicks wanted him to fix, he couldn't, so he's not required.
Once upon a time he would have been seen as a great fit at the Saints, but, hopefully, someone within the club wants to be a winner, this Crouch won't help that ambition.

Can't wait for the trade period to see if the club makes a bee line for him. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He’d be a good fit at Norf.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 2:15pm He’d be a good fit at Norf.
Yes :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nick’s has the Scott Watters and the pea-brain about him.

ie

Flog.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

What I read here is ,

1) very capable player at peak age
2) can play well in pressure games
3) played well with his brother
4) crows staff don’t like him, lost some spirit

So!!!

Might it be
That the total is bigger than the some of two parts??

Or is the smell worse than two farts?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 2:51pm What I read here is ,

1) very capable player at peak age
2) can play well in pressure games
3) played well with his brother
4) crows staff don’t like him, lost some spirit

So!!!

Might it be
That the total is bigger than the some of two parts??

Or is the smell worse than two farts?
It depends...my farts smell like potpurri so it could be quite pleasant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Very consistent in that he always racks up a high disposal count without fail

Even games that have led to his being dropped have been with a 23-24+ disposal count

I’d say for all of his faults… he always comes to play and I reckon we need that

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 4:58pm Very consistent in that he always racks up a high disposal count without fail

Even games that have led to his being dropped have been with a 23-24+ disposal count

I’d say for all of his faults… he always comes to play and I reckon we need that
Well, I am leaning in the yes direction.

Both brothers together could be good...win-win!

Our midfield is horrible.

I would say Brad has been a pass mark...just! A 6/10 recruitment, so in a 0-1 world it is a 1.

Ross has done more than expected in the first half of the year, can't expect much more, but Jones has been significantly worse (due to absence) and is injury prone. Hunter is a fav and could still be a champ, but a crappy season due to circumstances beyond his control. As a mid, we will still have to wait. Gresh shows me why he can play mid, but has revealed a few weaknesses..(can they be worked with or are they set in stone? no idea) ..Windy has shown us he is a break out champ last week, but BYtel and Byrnes have been major disappointments. (the latter's game last week not too bad, showed something, but..) Steele is steel is steel. Reliable diesel - a Toyota LandCruiser. but he 'aint a Ferrari.

So let's get him or de Goey. Matt would be the conservative option. We can have our own mcCartin Bros fairytale.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We seem to be a destination club for the good to average type players while other clubs are aiming to recruit the match winners and the stars of the game

We won’t win a premiership trying to recruit other teams discards. Is Matt Crouch on any else's radar?

I don’t mind us going for DeGoey or Tarranto but if they don’t come, we should provide a list spot for a an 18 year old or a young draftee imo

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

I see him as a direct replacement for Hanners - i.e. forces the mids to step up or they lose their spot to him. Would expect he would cost very little and as someone mentioned may get part of his salary paid by crows. I don't think picking him up is an either/or situation with a gun mid like cokehead or taranto, more of a "we need some midfield depth" pickup similar to what melbourne did with our brownlow superstar.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 5:55pm I see him as a direct replacement for Hanners - i.e. forces the mids to step up or they lose their spot to him. Would expect he would cost very little and as someone mentioned may get part of his salary paid by crows. I don't think picking him up is an either/or situation with a gun mid like cokehead or taranto, more of a "we need some midfield depth" pickup similar to what melbourne did with our brownlow superstar.
?

A: Does that mean that Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Sparrow and Harmes play better football because they’ve got Dunny breathing down their necks??

OR…

B: Does it mean that Steele, Gresham, Ross, Crouch and Sinclair are going to improve their footy and start playing better if we recruit Matt Crouch??

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pass.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We have Windy, Owens and Bytel all competing for midfield time and I don't think it's worth adding another plodder in the mix. De Goey, Taranto and Amon, yes. Crouch, pass.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 6:48pm We have Windy, Owens and Bytel all competing for midfield time and I don't think it's worth adding another plodder in the mix. De Goey, Taranto and Amon, yes. Crouch, pass.
What???

Another??
Matt is another?? As in the same subset as Windy, Bytel and Owens?

Bytel is a dud...judged not by me...by the selection commitee.
Windy..fantastic, exciting..One big game under his belt.
Owens..heaven knows..

Plodder??
Matt Crouch
125 Games
All-Australian

Another?

Plodder?

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 6:04pm
A: Does that mean that Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Sparrow and Harmes play better football because they’ve got Dunny breathing down their necks??
To a degree, yes. They can't relax knowing that he in theory can take their spot.
Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 6:04pm B: Does it mean that Steele, Gresham, Ross, Crouch and Sinclair are going to improve their footy and start playing better if we recruit Matt Crouch??
Again, to a degree. Laziness/comfort isn't a mindset any of our mids should have, and it means the guys currently next in line (owens, windy, etc.) have a target on their back and have to improve or they won't be the automatic call when one of those 1st pick mids inevitably goes down due to injury, plague, or having a baby. Heaven forbid we lose 2 of them at the same time and have a lack of quality mids to replace them.

As has already been pointed out, Matt is a possession gathering monster (averaging mid-20s in his bad games) and can kick goals. I don't see the loss in taking him over a complete unknown at pick 70 other than to our salary cap having to pay him slightly more than a late draft pick's base salary. Plus, you never know, brotherly competition might make Brad take a step up.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Do we have salary cap space to burn?

Matt would be a better fwd than Higgins, no?

Of course, why would anyone want to leave Adelaide. (Wilkie, Hayes, Sharman, Hunter, Dunstan, Lade,
Howard excepted.)