Just Announced

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Just Announced

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:20pm Teflon

You realise Rath was in the same role at Hawthorn in their 3 peat?
Are we talking 2013/14/15 ? 7 - 9 years ago !

We are always chasing the innovative sides aren’t we?
I remember when we got our players to work in the gym to put on bulk because Leigh Matthews won premierships at Brisbane with big-bottomed players.
But by that time the best clubs had moved on to sleek, running machines.

We need to be innovative and thinkers, but instead we just follow the crowd, a step or two behind. Grant Thomas was the one we needed to keep.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:48pm
B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:20pm Teflon

You realise Rath was in the same role at Hawthorn in their 3 peat?
Are we talking 2013/14/15 ? 7 - 9 years ago !

We are always chasing the innovative sides aren’t we?
I remember when we got our players to work in the gym to put on bulk because Leigh Matthews won premierships at Brisbane with big-bottomed players.
But by that time the best clubs had moved on to sleek, running machines.

We need to be innovative and thinkers, but instead we just follow the crowd, a step or two behind. Grant Thomas was the one we needed to keep.
Don’t agree on Thomas
Has arguably best list we’ve assembled and had zero plan B
That aside, we are chasing a Hawks model of kick-mark that as Fox Footy comments noted last night is outdated - Cats for example have gone away from it

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin

Are we saying Clarkson is obsolete too because he hasn’t won a premiership for 7 years?

Rubyjo
Club Player

Rath is like the vaccine ..got really sick and nearly died but imagine if I didn't have the vaccine .

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Gee Teffers your BobbleHead might fly right of it's spring if keeps rocking around this hard. Just relax brother, your false narrative won't be viable until at least 2024 so sit back and just relax a little before you do yourself a mischief.

Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 10:43pm Gershwin

Are we saying Clarkson is obsolete too because he hasn’t won a premiership for 7 years?
I think Clarkson was the brains behind the operation and will be a success. We got the 2 assistants - Ratten and Rath - probably at a bargain price and they aren’t up to it without the brains.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:06pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 6:46pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 1:49pm
That’s fascinating Sanct
Cause the club have cone out and announced our window is open
We’ve recruited top up players last few drafts from other clubs to play finals
But you keep telling us the list is no good??
Maybe you should give Brett a call cause clearly there is a disconnect between what you see vs the club
Come off it Teflon, do you really expect the club to be anything other than positive when it talks about the team's potential, do you really take what they tell supporters and the media as gospel??

They're hardly going to come out and say "we're still a few years away from playing finals".

As for top players recruited from other clubs in last few drafts, who exactly are you talking about apart from Brad Hill because I certainly can't think of any, Paddy Ryder was far from a top player when he came across from Port, and Howard, Jones or Crouch were all around "average".

Interesting isn't it that all 3 last mentioned were rated better than the club had at the time, says it all!

So isn't it patently obvious that the list is not good and far from capable of playing finals??
I’ll just direct you to Joey Montagna analysis of what Saints have done list wise re top ups ….but you’d know way more than him!!
And I don’t buy the “Board just selling memberships” BS line - you put that message out you believe it otherwise you look very stupid (as they do now)
I think you need to get in the real world
This list is way better than a bottom 4 side our second half season results have shown
That’s poor game plan/coaching/skill development ALl on coaching
Plus the club AND the coach gave massively over sold where this side is at
As Joey said our 26+ brigade are not good enough to win it
They are good enough to play finals at 7/8 (had we kicked straight last night that means this season we had beaten 5 of the top 8 teams????)
Stop excusing the deplorable coaching efforts
We will now finish each season of Rattens tenure in a worse position
You don’t extend or reward that - only poorly run organisations do so
I don't recall Joey expressing categorically that St Kilda's current list is good enough to contend for finals but maybe you know better.

Quite clearly you're totally obsessed in your view that the cause of St Kilda's demise since the bye round is entirely due to Brett Ratten's coaching methods.

And it's also true that I will never agree with this opinion so we'll just have to agree to disagree - I'll know better in future to avoid engaging with you and your fellow travellers in debates about the pros and cons of the team list and coaches.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:12am
Teflon wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:06pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 6:46pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 1:49pm
That’s fascinating Sanct
Cause the club have cone out and announced our window is open
We’ve recruited top up players last few drafts from other clubs to play finals
But you keep telling us the list is no good??
Maybe you should give Brett a call cause clearly there is a disconnect between what you see vs the club
Come off it Teflon, do you really expect the club to be anything other than positive when it talks about the team's potential, do you really take what they tell supporters and the media as gospel??

They're hardly going to come out and say "we're still a few years away from playing finals".

As for top players recruited from other clubs in last few drafts, who exactly are you talking about apart from Brad Hill because I certainly can't think of any, Paddy Ryder was far from a top player when he came across from Port, and Howard, Jones or Crouch were all around "average".

Interesting isn't it that all 3 last mentioned were rated better than the club had at the time, says it all!

So isn't it patently obvious that the list is not good and far from capable of playing finals??
I’ll just direct you to Joey Montagna analysis of what Saints have done list wise re top ups ….but you’d know way more than him!!
And I don’t buy the “Board just selling memberships” BS line - you put that message out you believe it otherwise you look very stupid (as they do now)
I think you need to get in the real world
This list is way better than a bottom 4 side our second half season results have shown
That’s poor game plan/coaching/skill development ALl on coaching
Plus the club AND the coach gave massively over sold where this side is at
As Joey said our 26+ brigade are not good enough to win it
They are good enough to play finals at 7/8 (had we kicked straight last night that means this season we had beaten 5 of the top 8 teams????)
Stop excusing the deplorable coaching efforts
We will now finish each season of Rattens tenure in a worse position
You don’t extend or reward that - only poorly run organisations do so
I don't recall Joey expressing categorically that St Kilda's current list is good enough to contend for finals but maybe you know better.

Quite clearly you're totally obsessed in your view that the cause of St Kilda's demise since the bye round is entirely due to Brett Ratten's coaching methods.

And it's also true that I will never agree with this opinion so we'll just have to agree to disagree - I'll know better in future to avoid engaging with you and your fellow travellers in debates about the pros and cons of the team list and coaches.
Ofcourse you won’t but I notice you didn’t go near Joeys and Fox footys direct criticism of our outdated fane plan cause that doesn’t suit your 1 trick pony narrative “players lack skills”
Brad Hills an elite 3 time premiership winger and our gane set up makes him look incompetent and still your saying it’s all players suddenly lacking skill?
Best not engage I think

“Yeah….nah””