Report Card for 2022..is looking...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Report Card for 2022..is looking...

The second half of the season was always going to be f****** hard with our crap draw.

Play two games against The Roos instead of the Cats at Pussy Hollow and the Cairns game in Melbourne and we make the finals/

All this negative s*** about how poor our list is, is rubbish.

We simply got screwed over by the AFL and its lackeys as per usual.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

On the other hand a better than average list could win anywhere, against any team.

I don't blame the draw, i blame incompetence.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

C

A C+ List

A C- Coaching set up

I hoped finals, I believed finals to be the minimum with everything going right. Sadly as the season evolved the realisation was glaring in our lack of player development, conditioning of players, extremely glaring holes in our list (KP Fwd / KP Bck / Goalkicking mid), lack of transition from back half to F50 - I don't need to understand our game plan but I deserve to have our players look like they do.

I do leave season 2022 knowing we have 3 young players in Windhager, Owens & NWM to get excited about. They are the "A" feature of 2022.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 6:01pm C

A C+ List

A C- Coaching set up

I hoped finals, I believed finals to be the minimum with everything going right. Sadly as the season evolved the realisation was glaring in our lack of player development, conditioning of players, extremely glaring holes in our list (KP Fwd / KP Bck / Goalkicking mid), lack of transition from back half to F50 - I don't need to understand our game plan but I deserve to have our players look like they do.

I do leave season 2022 knowing we have 3 young players in Windhager, Owens & NWM to get excited about. They are the "A" feature of 2022.
Interested to hear who people like the most out of those 3 based on this season. All three have shown good glimpses, although windhager has been the best first year recruit I remember us having for a while.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 5:39pm The second half of the season was always going to be f****** hard with our crap draw.

Play two games against The Roos instead of the Cats at Pussy Hollow and the Cairns game in Melbourne and we make the finals/

All this negative s*** about how poor our list is, is rubbish.

We simply got screwed over by the AFL and its lackeys as per usual.
Wasn't it up to us to play our home in Cairns or did we have no say in it ?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

My expectation was that we'd win 10 to 12 games. We finally have some decent youngsters. The fact that we played them as much as we did showed we had a few deficiencies. I think Owens is going to be a big handful for the opposition and he'll start to impact games in next year. Windhager is a player and NWM has the class and foot skills to give us a point of difference.

This list needs a bit of work, but most of the pieces are coming together

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon our list is better than C+
More like a B list

Our structure is. D

First half of the year we were able to play our way and we should have been 9-2 going into the bye

Second half, we were worked out and no plan B

2-3 players away from challenging, but those players won't matter if we don't have a game plan that the players understand

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Great BF post sums us up

What’s going to change between this season and next?

Are we relying purely on internal growth? And lack of injuries (which never happens.)

I cannot believe we are potentially making one coaching change - and much as I love Lenny, he had better talent to work with at GWS and they still didn’t get the job done.

Like it or not, we’ve re-signed Ratts so not much we can do there, but Lade’s had three years - time for a new voice in a forward line that’s obviously not working. Look what Enright has done for our defence. Chances are we’ll be re-signing Dan and Paddy in what can only be seen as desperate moves.

What have we improved from last season, besides pretty much fluking our two NGA talents and Ross finding some of his previous form? I get Steele, Clark, Gresh and DMac have been big outs but there’s no guarantees it doesn’t happen again.

Standing still is going backward in this game, and we’ve been overtaken by both Blues and Pies with what appear to be better tactical coaches.

And insult to injury we appear to be refusing to even consider any external help for the player we’re building our team around.

I find this all pretty demoralising tbh.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I look at the totality of the season

At the end of the year, how many Ws

Going WLWLWLWL
No Different to WWWWLLLL

It’s still 4-4

We’ve won 11 with a percentage of 100

I had us at 12 wins for Par

I’d like to see how we would be marked if we were 3-8 and won 8 of our last 11?!
With such short memories - I think we would much more positive

Funny that

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 10:58pm I look at the totality of the season

At the end of the year, how many Ws

Going WLWLWLWL
No Different to WWWWLLLL

It’s still 4-4

We’ve won 11 with a percentage of 100

I had us at 12 wins for Par

I’d like to see how we would be marked if we were 3-8 and won 8 of our last 11?!
With such short memories - I think we would much more positive

Funny that
But again so be short sighted
It’s not WL alone
It’s HOW you win lose
Zero 4 quarter efforts all year
Terrible, I mean really bad transition game plan
No forward line cohesion
Our no 1 goal kicker is going backwards in his core skill
Losses to bottom dwellers
Lost 7/8 last games
Bottom 2 in AFL second half season for contested ball and %
Seriously WLWL papers over cracks
Bombers made finals last year - soft draw
Doesn’t tell you the story

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 10:09pm Great BF post sums us up

What’s going to change between this season and next?

Are we relying purely on internal growth? And lack of injuries (which never happens.)

I cannot believe we are potentially making one coaching change - and much as I love Lenny, he had better talent to work with at GWS and they still didn’t get the job done.

Like it or not, we’ve re-signed Ratts so not much we can do there, but Lade’s had three years - time for a new voice in a forward line that’s obviously not working. Look what Enright has done for our defence. Chances are we’ll be re-signing Dan and Paddy in what can only be seen as desperate moves.

What have we improved from last season, besides pretty much fluking our two NGA talents and Ross finding some of his previous form? I get Steele, Clark, Gresh and DMac have been big outs but there’s no guarantees it doesn’t happen again.

Standing still is going backward in this game, and we’ve been overtaken by both Blues and Pies with what appear to be better tactical coaches.

And insult to injury we appear to be refusing to even consider any external help for the player we’re building our team around.

I find this all pretty demoralising tbh.
Let's hope the brains trust come up with a modern game plan that suits the playing list that they'll have for next season, hopefully one that doesn't call for long bombs into the Forward 50 and then
hope that a Saints player gets it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The only way to say we broke even was to accept that we over performed in 2021..
And nobody will accept that premise.
2021 was dreadfully disappointing.

We have slipped.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The good has been Windhager, Owens, and Wanganeen-Milera's first season at the club and playing plenty of senior games. Big tick for Ratts.
More positives includes the improvement of Sinclair and McKenzie, and Gresham's consistency. Big tick for Ratts again.
Marshall has continued to impress and we have found a potential CHB in Battle. Well done Ratts!
Jack Hayes was very good before he got injured. Good pickup.
The seasons of Membrey and King have been good too.
I think Crouch has probably had his best year of his career.
Sharman has been okay. He is showing himself to be durable when given opportunities.

The bad has been the injury curse again, with most of the players above having their seasons cut short by injury.
The FIXture - second half of thr season has been diabolical - but we played Sydney twice, Brisbane twice, the Bullodogs, and Geelong at Geelong. We also had to play themuch improved Fremantle and Carlton as well.
Our alignment with Sandringham - it's sh1tful and has to end. It is screwing up our player development.
Playing a game in a swamp.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.