Ben Long Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Ben Long Midfield

what angers me most about Long is easily his best two 2022 games have been the last two
rumours? -EFC look at me!

And what a quite a few posters are forgetting, that it was pretty noticeable this year even tho he was often in a better clear position to receive a pass - his team mates were by-passing him
not playing to team rules - a loose cannon - not liked - team mates knew wanted out? who knows

Sinclair in the middle before Long - done

Seeya
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:17pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:09pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:06pm Those on here underselling long are just s*** stirring
Can’t be any another reason
You’re underestimating the amount of dumb people there are in this world
There is no doubt some on here overate their own intelligence :wink:
Guilty :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:35pm what angers me most about Long is easily his best two 2022 games have been the last two

And what a quite a few posters are forgetting, that it was pretty noticeable this year even tho he was often in a better clear position to receive a pass - his team mates were by-passing him
not playing to team rules - a loose cannon - not liked - team mates knew wanted out? who knows

Long to me always looked like he was trying his guts out

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:06pm Those on here underselling long are just s*** stirring
He’s pretty easy to “undersell.” He has teased us with flashes of quality interspersed with longer periods of mediocrity, not to mention several periods of suspension due to ill-discipline.

At the end of the day, I reckon he’s a FAQ player on the half back line: a capability with which the club is over-supplied.

I am bored with posters who carry on about how we shouldn’t “tolerate mediocrity” (as if any football club would actually want to do this?). However, if someone wants to call out mediocre players at our club, Ben Long is near the top of the list. Yes, he played well last Sunday in a game that didn’t matter. So what.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm inclined to agree that Ben Long could become a far more consistent player if moved to another club, it's quite common for an ordinary player to welcome a change of "scenery" and rise to the challenge of proving their latent talent.

As an armchair expert I'm not in a position to judge whether or not Long's inconsistent form is due to his own failings (lack of discipline) or the club's (inability to motivate)?

The positive thing though is that while he's played only 79 games in 7 years, 2022 has been his best year so far, he appeared 17 times, which suggests to me that he should be given an extension. If his last game is evidence of his real potential, his X Factor and pressure on the ball holder should make that a done deal.

The other night "On the Couch" in an interview with Clarkson they all agreed that every team needs at least one player that is real nasty, not so much in the Dorko mould, but a player who is feared by his opponent, like Stevie Baker! Ben Long for his aggressive attack on the ball and hard tackling alone fits the bill.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Templar
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:35pm what angers me most about Long is easily his best two 2022 games have been the last two

Our passing and decision making has been exceptional this year....

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 4:58pm
He’s pretty easy to “undersell.” He has teased us with flashes of quality interspersed with longer periods of mediocrity, not to mention several periods of suspension due to ill-discipline.

At the end of the day, I reckon he’s a FAQ player on the half back line: a capability with which the club is over-supplied.

I am bored with posters who carry on about how we shouldn’t “tolerate mediocrity” (as if any football club would actually want to do this?). However, if someone wants to call out mediocre players at our club, Ben Long is near the top of the list. Yes, he played well last Sunday in a game that didn’t matter. So what.
I think you’re wrong on many counts.

I think many people here formed their opinions on Ben from his first few years under Richo who exclusively played Long as a small forward. We know how hard that position is and we know that we stunk as a team under Richo from about mid 2017 up until Ratts took over in late 2019.

I remember a preseason video just after Ratts was appointed senior coach. He singled out some of the younger players and specifically Longy. He gave them confidence and he trusted them as the next batch on the list to step up. But Ratts also saw their strengths and he gave Long an opportunity to utilise his strengths and his disposal by foot. He mad Ben a distributor rather than an opportunist goal sneak

Longy had a brilliant season as a half back flanker in 2020. Long was one of the reasons we played finals. Long got voted best on ground from people on this forum and close to best on ground in many games in 2020. If you don’t believe me go back to those threads or ask Sainter_Dad

You are right about Longy getting suspended a few times, but to use your words…’so what’? A player who has aggression and plays the game hard is an asset.

How many times was he suspended this year? What you also fail to acknowledge is that he has controlled his aggression and played within the rules this year. The AFL landscape has meant many players got suspended for bumping. Longy is not alone there.

You are also right that we have a few players who play half back flank…but can they also play wing or as a small forward or as a tagger in the midfield? Maybe Ratts is getting the team he wants and players playing in the positions he wants and we saw a glimpse against the Swans.

What if Brett Ratten has finally overruled some of his assistants and he wanted Long to play off half back all along?

The fact that Long is versatile was recognised by Ratts in his after match presser. Ratts said Long will improve as a player. How many of the senior guys and established guys can we say they will improve?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I was going to reply to meher,don’t have to now. You covered it nicely scollop

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The thing is, I understand that sometimes things don’t work out for a player at a club. Maybe for whatever reason there has been a falling out between Longy and some of the leadership group and maybe even the coach and list management.

Maybe the list management meetings over the last few weeks have determined that he was on the way out. Maybe it was a cunning plan to play him off half back so he could get a few more touches and increase his trade value. Maybe Ratts wanted him to play freely and he said to Longy; get out there and enjoy your footy son

Whatever it was…at least people can stfu about whethet the kid can play or not. :mrgreen: 8-)

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 5:59pm The thing is, I understand that sometimes things don’t work out for a player at a club. Maybe for whatever reason there has been a falling out between Longy and some of the leadership group and maybe even the coach and list management.

Maybe the list management meetings over the last few weeks have determined that he was on the way out. Maybe it was a cunning plan to play him off half back so he could get a few more touches and increase his trade value. Maybe Ratts wanted him to play freely and he said to Longy; get out there and enjoy your footy son

Whatever it was…at least people can stfu about whethet the kid can play or not. :mrgreen: 8-)
It's true. Ratts did make me an offer but I said nah, stick with Longy, he's got a better right hook.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Why would Long want to go to Essendon?
Apart from the Michael Long connection, they are a basket case.

I reckon what we're seeing at the end of this year, is Long feeling confident and that he belongs. And also he is now properly fit and has the tank to push through games.

Hopefully we offer him a 2-3 year contract.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi