Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon?

Lyon met with the Club for 4 hours today. Report coming up on Channel 7

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why would Lyon knock back Collingwood. Strange.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 6:20pm Lyon met with the Club for 4 hours today. Report coming up on Channel 7
Saw the report
Didn't say much but he was grinning alot .
Looked like he wanted to scream " I'm back baby ! "

In red white and black from 73
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 6:29pm Why would Lyon knock back Collingwood. Strange.
Probably because he had to go through the application process, whereas today the club may have said we want you , as long as you do A , B & C ...etc...
And Ross probably had some demands and the club said ok , we'll give you an answer in a day or two.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 10:22am I worry that Ross will promote 'role players' from the Zebs,
and ignore NWM+Owens.
He's done it before, Jack Steven said Scott Watters spoke to him more times in 3 months than Tosser had ever spoken to him in the entire time he'd been therr
Nick Riewoldt called that perception out as utter BS
Said Lyon gravitated to players based on effort - you bust a gut he liked you
You soft squib it…not so much ,..
Nick said the whole “Ross didn’t talk to kids” was garbage
Anyhoo more grist for the mill ..

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:33pm
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 10:22am I worry that Ross will promote 'role players' from the Zebs,
and ignore NWM+Owens.
He's done it before, Jack Steven said Scott Watters spoke to him more times in 3 months than Tosser had ever spoken to him in the entire time he'd been therr
Maybe Jacky boy didn't want Ross to smell the booze on his breath so he kept his distance

markp
Saintsational Legend

People can (and certainly do) argue till the cows come home about who wronged who, or how good a coach he was or may yet be... but short of moving interstate, it's hard to imagine any one thing the club could do that would likely alienate so many of St Kilda's most fervent supporters.

How much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

It's a seismic, win or die decision.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nice of Ross to go to a meeting. Getting soft?
Thought he would only entertain homage and at his place of choice.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:04pm Nice of Ross to go to a meeting. Getting soft?
Unless it's all for show.

SaintJohno
Club Player

and ignore NWM+Owens.
I'm definitely ok with a coach who prioritises players who give everything when they cross that white line. Seems the ones who sing his praises, and there are quite a few, are the players that were willing to get the most out of themselves. It's the ones who didn't put it all on the line who don't seem to like him. I know who I'd like in the best 22.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:02pm Never coached a side he couldn't leave in worse shape than he found it.
62% win record 2007-11
I’ll take that
You can have another 3 years of Ratts…
I prefer my side with standards…not picking/choosing when to go..

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:23pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 6:20pm Lyon met with the Club for 4 hours today. Report coming up on Channel 7
Saw the report
Didn't say much but he was grinning alot .
Looked like he wanted to scream " I'm back baby ! "
I thought the exact same thing.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:34pm
and ignore NWM+Owens.
I'm definitely ok with a coach who prioritises players who give everything when they cross that white line. Seems the ones who sing his praises, and there are quite a few, are the players that were willing to get the most out of themselves. It's the ones who didn't put it all on the line who don't seem to like him. I know who I'd like in the best 22.
Yep was an interesting read
Guys like DMac Lyon will love - it’s why he liked Eddy, MQalter etc …I think he’ll also like Owens/Windy big time
Loafers might be nervous
Interesting Hill won his b &f under Lyon
I wonder if Hill retracted his “I want to go to North” cause he knew a change was coming (could be Clarko related too)

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pmHow much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

It's a huge risk not only from a footy standpoint but from a supporter base.

If the decision to hire Ross backfires in the way I expect it to (with a small flourish into the top 4 then back into 10th+), no amount of heads rolling will save face.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pm People can (and certainly do) argue till the cows come home about who wronged who, or how good a coach he was or may yet be... but short of moving interstate, it's hard to imagine any one thing the club could do that would likely alienate so many of St Kilda's most fervent supporters.

How much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

Is it really???
I’d argue after 11 years of nothing but in the wilderness,woke, beige coaching by Mr Nice guys the worst thing the club could’ve done to alienate supporters was to continue to do what we’ve been doing under Richo and Ratten
Our last season under Lyon we played finals and everyone knows the list was cooked - senior players have said it
Milne today was interesting….he’ll do whatever it takes, work 16 hour days to get this club back where it belongs…
I’m ok with that dedication- a few might get bruised along the way ….but we’ve been a bruise free club way too long

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if he sashayed into the club.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Lennylegs
Club Player

Not completely sold on Ross' return but one thing he will bring is some defined clarity for a lot of our players. We've got so many blokes who don't even know where their best position is yet. Clark, Coffield, Sharman, Billings, Hill, Gresham. They'll all benefit from a coach who can give them some actual direction as to what they can contribute to a footy team. They all seemed at sea this year and last.

Nothing worse than not knowing where you sit in a footy team. I imagine Ross will be able to sort that out with one meeting, rather than let these players drift along in their careers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:42pm
markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pmHow much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

It's a huge risk not only from a footy standpoint but from a supporter base.

If the decision to hire Ross backfires in the way I expect it to (with a small flourish into the top 4 then back into 10th+), no amount of heads rolling will save face.
So you’re happy with the trajectory we’ve been heading for last 11 years????
Any coach - Lyon included - can fail
Yze been overlooked now by 4 clubs? Why!
Leppitchs failed previously???
Who available is better qualified?
I’d argue from a risk perspective the Boards chosen the least risk option in terms of knowing what they’ll get

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:45pm Not completely sold on Ross' return but one thing he will bring is some defined clarity for a lot of our players. We've got so many blokes who don't even know where their best position is yet. Clark, Coffield, Sharman, Billings, Hill, Gresham. They'll all benefit from a coach who can give them some actual direction as to what they can contribute to a footy team. They all seemed at sea this year and last.

Nothing worse than not knowing where you sit in a footy team. I imagine Ross will be able to sort that out with one meeting, rather than let these players drift along in their careers.
Good point
Right now we don’t know if it’s terrible list or terrible coaching …
Lyon will give a clear read on that I think - you won’t die wondering

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 6:29pm Why would Lyon knock back Collingwood. Strange.
He was more interested in Carlton.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:43pm
markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pm People can (and certainly do) argue till the cows come home about who wronged who, or how good a coach he was or may yet be... but short of moving interstate, it's hard to imagine any one thing the club could do that would likely alienate so many of St Kilda's most fervent supporters.

Is it really???
I’d argue after 11 years of nothing but in the wilderness,woke, beige coaching by Mr Nice guys the worst thing the club could’ve done to alienate supporters was to continue to do what we’ve been doing under Richo and Ratten
Our last season under Lyon we played finals and everyone knows the list was cooked - senior players have said it
Milne today was interesting….he’ll do whatever it takes, work 16 hour days to get this club back where it belongs…
I’m ok with that dedication- a few might get bruised along the way ….but we’ve been a bruise free club way too long
Here, here!
If Rossy is back, we're back in town

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So I wonder when it will be announced given there are no other candidates.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:04pm Nice of Ross to go to a meeting. Getting soft?
Bassat's got better wine. Wasn't the first time they met.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Is it really???

I don't personally disagree with you about his ability as a coach, or likely your view on the circumstances of his leaving.

And yes we have a chasm to jump, and chasms can't be jumped in two leaps.

But the baggage here is filled with dynamite, and I hope it's been weighed very carefully.

There are lots of passionate Saints supporters with enormous misgivings about Lyon, loathing even.

Looking awfully like a done deal, let's hope those with misgivings are soon turned around.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 11:23pm

Is it really???

I don't personally disagree with you about his ability as a coach, or likely your view on the circumstances of his leaving.

And yes we have a chasm to jump, and chasms can't be jumped in two leaps.

But the baggage here is filled with dynamite, and I hope it's been weighed very carefully.

There are lots of passionate Saints supporters with enormous misgivings about Lyon, loathing even.

Looking awfully like a done deal, let's hope those with misgivings are soon turned around.
Apart from Lyon being a liar and a snake oil salesman, I don't think he has what it takes to lift our team to get St Kilda to climb the ladder and close to being a flag contender.

I say Lyon is the wrong call. He needs others to lay the foundations at a football club and he needs star players out there ( leaders on field) to drive excellence.

He took 18 months or more to get going at St Kilda the first time. He took less time when he went to Fremantle (approx. 12 months). This time round we will know pretty much in the first 6 months whether we made the right choice. If he makes finals in his first year, I will STFU... like Barrassi said to Healy..."Give me possessions and I'll shutup!!"