1st day on the job

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

1st day on the job

1st November 2022
I believe it is the first day on the job for both Ross the Boss (RTB) & also Geoff Walsh - thus it will be tomorrow.

What is the first action for each on the first day (knowing that both worked last week)

RTB
- dial the number of SOS or Riewoldt to offer roles in a capacity going forward (continue with focus of getting the band back together)
- meet with Hunter to confirm he will back him in

GW
- confirm to james gallagher that this year will be his last trade period in control - we want melb based employees. Would love to see him retained as lead SA recruiter - we have some good outcomes with gags & SA = Wilke, Hayes, Sharman
- Provide an actual role for Roughead - we have put some time into him & would be a shame to move on

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1st day on the job

Clean up after Halloween.
No more pretending.
No more cosplay.
Fair dinkum

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Start formulating a contemporary and suitable game plan with the assistants.

Then a meeting with list management about the draft

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

celebrate their good fortune with beer. clock out at noon and have a few more?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Banger9798
SS Life Member

As long as it isn't a round of golf like Blighty

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
older saint
SS Life Member

Not sure about SOS
record recruiting at GWS and Carlton is not very good .

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is SOS coming? He's no good at recruitment. Maybe coaching.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Go to 6:10 and especially 6:56

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Templar
Club Player

In short:

Lloyd: Snipe, snipe. I am brilliant and have always been smart. Max has no future without me. Sook, sook. St Kilda are crap because they didn't employ me. Bwahhhhhhhh! Essendon are better than St Kilda.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 04 Nov 2022 9:57am In short:

Lloyd: Snipe, snipe. I am brilliant and have always been smart. Max has no future without me. Sook, sook. St Kilda are crap because they didn't employ me. Bwahhhhhhhh! Essendon are better than St Kilda.
ta
saves me watching it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

asiu wrote: Fri 04 Nov 2022 10:49am

ta
saves me watching it
I'm no fan of Mr Lloyd but his 4 minutes on Ross & Max were absolutely excellent.

At no time did he undermine player coach or club...which is odd
He gave excellent indication of the process Max is enduring & how he himself struggled & improved.

I was impressed

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 04 Nov 2022 11:58am
asiu wrote: Fri 04 Nov 2022 10:49am

ta
saves me watching it
I'm no fan of Mr Lloyd but his 4 minutes on Ross & Max were absolutely excellent.

At no time did he undermine player coach or club...which is odd
He gave excellent indication of the process Max is enduring & how he himself struggled & improved.

I was impressed
Agreed.
Also, impressed.
Notice him saying he's heard Ross is already having some hard conversations with some players. Nothing wrong with him saying he believes Essendon has a better list in the long term.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ok lads

double ta

i shall watch it
'n form some sort of opinion of my own

st sandy
Club Player

Actions this week
- give Goddard a call
- give Misson a call

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

My takeaway from Loyds commentary:

St Kilda may finish higher next year but Essendon have a better list and will be better in the longer future.

I agree.

We could see a short spike due to the aura of RL however from learned experience manufacturing synthetic motivation is not sustainable.

Take Collingwoods season as an example, I expect them to come back to planet earth in 2023.

Take Freo in 2014 to 2019, they just couldn't replicate 2013.

There are no shortcuts to procuring a list capable of sustainable high performance.

Only list I have seen in my time that exemplified the mindset was Lions threepeat team, Hawks threepeat list 2nd best.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Although I was interested to hear Lloyd speak about the Saints, the most powerful thing he said was regarding Essendon IMO. He said that when things start to go south in the big picture (i.e. win/losses) people starting scrambling to protect themselves and their little patches within the organization. To me, this means tidying up their figures, metrics and ‘actioning’ things. i.e. re-signing players, coaches, managers that do not deserve to be re-signed. Much harder to sack em. Better to ‘make friends’ and get those key performance metrics in shape!

This stuff gives me chills, because it is so real. Especially nowadays, with figures switching between clubs. They don’t wanna burn bridges.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: and on the 7th day

haha

ross is probably gunning to sack someone already

if going south gets people re-signed
going north might get em resigned
(as a face saving exercise also ... but different)

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: and on the 7th day

asiu wrote: Sat 05 Nov 2022 5:52pm haha

ross is probably gunning to sack someone already

if going south gets people re-signed
going north might get em resigned
(as a face saving exercise also ... but different)
Absolutely!!

And telling him and him about pulling up their socks …or else!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

How did the handover go, did Ratts finger the players that let him down and explain how to transfer calls?

And the exit interview, what was the gist: I am not soft on poor performance; yes you are, am not; seems you are; am not, who says; the players, your assistants everyone you trusted. Well I can change, I don't really like them, Kent begged and begged for just one more.... what can you do, Bytel never begged.....

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 05 Nov 2022 11:02pm How did the handover go, did Ratts finger the players that let him down and explain how to transfer calls?

And the exit interview, what was the gist: I am not soft on poor performance; yes you are, am not; seems you are; am not, who says; the players, your assistants everyone you trusted. Well I can change, I don't really like them, Kent begged and begged for just one more.... what can you do, Bytel never begged.....
Yorkeys,

I know you are being a lil facetious, but I surely hope not.
Ratts was in a terrible position, and if the 'new' Lyon is woeful and all 'woke', Ratts will be vindicated.

Ratts was on a hiding to nothing.

Lyon represents a 'lost world'...before the 'new sensitivity' took over the media. The one that spins bullocks like Richmond won flags because their coach 'changed'..

But if Ross the Boss is really going to diffuse himself like that he 'aint Ross the Boss, he is Ross the Invisible.

Ratts had to deal with the new culture and he had to deal with a club with flea-ridden pox..the one that re-signs and ticks off metrics, including his own resignning.

Ratts is not soft. He was a hard as nails competitor...and a if he tried to hold on to his job tooth and nail - good on him.

Ratts wasn't sacked. A culture was sacked...but we have a little vortex in the wind here, an eddy current - let's just hope Ross the Boss can use that space to achieve something, because culture will not stop. Soon that river will gush like a tidal wave, and we have to have a super strong structure to withstand it. With a sketchy list, it will be a miracle...but maybe it can happen.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Nov 2022 11:19pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 05 Nov 2022 11:02pm How did the handover go, did Ratts finger the players that let him down and explain how to transfer calls?

Yorkeys,

Ratts was in a terrible position, and if the 'new' Lyon is woeful and all 'woke', Ratts will be vindicated.

Lyon represents a 'lost world'...before the 'new sensitivity' took over the media. The one that spins bullocks like Richmond won flags because their coach 'changed'..

But if Ross the Boss is really going to diffuse himself like that he 'aint Ross the Boss, he is Ross the Invisible.

Ratts had to deal with the new culture and he had to deal with a club with flea-ridden pox..the one that re-signs and ticks off metrics, including his own resignning.

Ratts is not soft. He was a hard as nails competitor...and a if he tried to hold on to his job tooth and nail - good on him.

Ratts wasn't sacked. A culture was sacked...but we have a little vortex in the wind here, an eddy current - let's just hope Ross the Boss can use that space to achieve something, because culture will not stop. Soon that river will gush like a tidal wave, and we have to have a super strong structure to withstand it. With a sketchy list, it will be a miracle...but maybe it can happen.
Don’t know where you get your weed but as a senior AFL coach Ratten was soft and in the end, if you believe those in the know, bereft of any ideas on taking us forward

This from Stavro on BF sums up Lyons appointment well:

By the time 09 rolled around.

Harvey Powell Thompson Gehrig had all gone.

Max went from a stud FB to Father Time in one summer.

And a huge ******* gap between us and Geelong/Hawthorn.

Bj was good but not a stud. Roo went up a level in the back half of 08. But not many went with him.

He found Clint Jones a role that turned him from a laughing stock to the best in the business.

People still thought our trajectory was down and not up.

Listen to every ex player interview in the last 2 weeks.

They all speak about RTB making his sides collectively better.

They speak about simple roles for players to understand and deliver on.

They talk about players on the list coming from a mile back and grabbing a first 22(23?) spot.

Answer this. If next trade period we trade Clark after 20 games in 2023 that were just average. Some good and some bad.

Would you feel like we haven’t got the best out of him or would you feel the player doesn’t have it in him?

That’s the clarity we need about this list. It’s better that it hasn’t proven anything. It means he can just get to work and pull s**t apart and blow things up.

The fact we have players who do the bare minimum in the gym is pretty funny. Paid 2/3/400k and they barely lift a weight.

The fact we tried a kumbiyah pre season and player power etc and it went to s**t is also funny.

He and Walsh spent the best part of last week meticulously planning our pre season. Each player has fitness goals they need to reach at key markers now.

Can’t wait to see who is in the fat squad by mid December and what it looks like in early Jan.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Nov 2022 1:30am

Yorkeys,

Don’t know where you get your weed but as a senior AFL coach Ratten was soft and in the end, if you believe those in the know, bereft of any ideas on taking us forward

Bj was good but not a stud. Roo went up a level in the back half of 08. But not many went with him.

He found Clint Jones a role that turned him from a laughing stock to the best in the business.

They talk about players on the list coming from a mile back and grabbing a first 22(23?) spot.

Answer this. If next trade period we trade Clark after 20 games in 2023 that were just average. Some good and some bad.

Would you feel like we haven’t got the best out of him or would you feel the player doesn’t have it in him?

That’s the clarity we need about this list. It’s better that it hasn’t proven anything. It means he can just get to work and pull s**t apart and blow things up.

The fact we have players who do the bare minimum in the gym is pretty funny. Paid 2/3/400k and they barely lift a weight.

The fact we tried a kumbiyah pre season and player power etc and it went to s**t is also funny.

He and Walsh spent the best part of last week meticulously planning our pre season. Each player has fitness goals they need to reach at key markers now.

Can’t wait to see who is in the fat squad by mid December and what it looks like in early Jan.
Weed?

I live in f!"$%&'n Japan..WTF?

NOthing this chump from BF says has any bearing on my (brilliant and insightful) comments...
It is 2022!

hopefully, Ross is still (really) a boss.

Sounds. like Eddie F McQuire talked him into it...which is fine by me..even if Eddie kills St Kilda on a daily basis.

I think and hope Ross still has the power to CRUSH the dribble that is modern football club professionalism and 'modern standards' of 'tick boxes and move onto another club next year' style management.

I agree with the anger and disgust , 100%.

I just hope Ross isn't too concerned about his 'new' image.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

don't they smoke weed in japan ?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys,

SG,
Unfortunately Ratts was sacked. The Club's culture did for him. You know the score, sacking the coach is more feasible than sacking half the list all at once to mold the team to the coach. The concession to Ratts was that all the assistants and most of the support staff have gone as well. "Soft" is a euphemism for compassionate and empathetic. I thought he was a reasonable tactician, however players did not take chances when it counted and clearly he could not get their minds in the right space for crucial games. Sure I was being typically facetious; and cynical. Ratts has nothing to be ashamed of its just that the current group need a bit of a bastard as a coach; perhaps if they mature as a group a Ratts type approach will be great. Horses for courses, Coaches for teams; Ratts could not adjust from being genuinely nice and that's possibly a credit to his integrity, but the bottom line is .......well we know where good guys finish, mostly.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 06 Nov 2022 2:08am
Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Nov 2022 1:30am

Yorkeys,

Weed?

I live in f!"$%&'n Japan..WTF?

NOthing this chump from BF says has any bearing on my (brilliant and insightful) comments...
It is 2022!

hopefully, Ross is still (really) a boss.

Sounds. like Eddie F McQuire talked him into it...which is fine by me..even if Eddie kills St Kilda on a daily basis.

I think and hope Ross still has the power to CRUSH the dribble that is modern football club professionalism and 'modern standards' of 'tick boxes and move onto another club next year' style management.

I agree with the anger and disgust , 100%.

I just hope Ross isn't too concerned about his 'new' image.
Calling the BF clown a chump is one of your really switched on insights.