Draft Target

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Target

I hope he'll be there at 10.

Saints58
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 10:08pm
Foz wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 9:43pm Josh Weddle is a big chance for our 2nd pick - we are trying to package up picks to get higher as Josh may go high teens range. Roughy a big fan - this came from his dad. Saints have interviewed Josh many times. Essendon and Dogs also keen.
Be an interesting selection given the amount of similiar sized defenders we have. Surely other defenders like Phllips or Van Es who can play the full back role are .ore suitable?
Van Es looks good and is a Vic country kid he would be ready to play almost straight away if available we should grab him. 197cm 98kg his vertical 98cm best in the combine and 4th in the sprint so is a real prospect might need to use earlier pick on him would be greatly sort after.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

i have no idea myself
So I'm always intrigued with selections by our club
Here is espn's Chris Doerre take on the draft

10. St Kilda - Cameron Mackenzie (St Kilda NGA) - Sandringham Dragons (VIC)

Despite being a Saints Academy prospect, St Kilda will not have first access to Mackenzie as bids for Next-Generation Academy prospects can no longer be matched inside the top 40. A balanced and well-rounded midfielder, Mackenzie is a strong contested ball winner and is equally adept receiving the ball on the move at stoppages, where he displays quickness and evasion. He also hurts the opposition by foot by placing his kicks out in front of his targets to lead onto.

32. St Kilda - Mitch Szybkowski - Dandenong Stingrays (VIC)

A strong ball-winning midfielder, Szybkowski is one of this draft's better inside distributors, with his work by hand arguably the best in the draft. Possessing good speed, Szybkowski spreads well from stoppages, covers a lot of ground, displays agility, and, when given the time and space, places his kicks accurately out in front of targets.

37. St Kilda - Coby Burgiel - Gippsland Power (VIC)

A versatile and speedy midfielder who hits the scoreboard and wins his own ball, Burgiel displays the versatility to play an inside or outside role or up forward. What stands out most with Burgiel is how natural he is with ball in hand in general play, and how rarely he needs to break stride whether marking or receiving by hand on the move.

48. St Kilda - Max Knobel - Gippsland Power (VIC)

The son of former AFL ruckman Trent, Max Knobel is a late blooming ruckman who has continued growing this year. Now standing at 206cm, Knobel is a project player who is still growing into his body but is developing rapidly and has a knack for getting to the right positions behind the ball to take intercept marks.

Seeya
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 1:15pm
bakes wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 12:17am . Wouldn’t be the worst pick.
I tend to prefer it when they go for the best pick available ;)
Oh Bakesy...you walked right into that one

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 25 Nov 2022 4:40pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 25 Nov 2022 4:20pm James Van Es is the defender we want. If we can get him with pick 47 (or whatever it will be by then) then we have done well. He will take years to come good but plan for the future plus well worth the risk.
Doubt it would take years for Van Es to make it..he’s already 99kg’s @ 18 years old!!
I hope a) we get him and b) you are right. He is a big boy already but kpd take a while to get good

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 11:11pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 1:20pm I think WCE might hope to get him with their third pick (20).
Hearing similar on the grape vine West Coast not using either of their first 2 picks on Hewett hoping for him to slide to pick 20. That may change if Ginbey goes before their pick at 9 . Interesting times ahead :wink:
Well all I can say is West Coast must of known that another club was going to take him before their 3 pick but all's fair in love & war :wink: