Training - Friday December 16

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Training - Friday December 16

Observations & other news:

* Keeler will be missing in action for a month following his knee injury last week

* Coffield tweaked a hamstring earlier this week.. severity unknown

* NWM really impressed off half back..moves beautifully & has great poise with ball in hand

* Windhager absolutely cherry ripe to be a major player

* Owens has definitely grown, clearly taller than NWM

* Jack Hayes has stepped up his training loads & is aiming for round 1

* Big emphasis on centre bounce work..young mids given opportunities plus Sinclair in there a lot

* Zain Cordy has a poor tank, was last by about 50 metres in repeat 400 metre runs

* Stocker doing a lot of running..up close a powerful unit

* Gut feeling tells me Eire unlikely to be picked up

* Stack given Christmas break fitness program..reading between the lines if he follows that to the letter & stays out of trouble he would be picked up

* Bytel training well, as is Connelly..Allison looking more and more assured & confident, nice change from previous pre seasons

* Surprised if Hill doesn’t have a great season..in great shape and his running and kicking superb

* Peris May debut at some stage as a pressure forward

* Hunter Clark looks good

* Billings only running at this point but looks in ripping nick

* The boss starting to get more involved in training, will likely ramp it up further after Christmas break

* Higgins again impressed

* SOS or Cripps likely new list manager

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Training - Friday December 16

Thanks Saintmike, very good summary.
Couple of Qs:
How do you know that about Stack?
Did Clark look fit?

Disappointing re:Cordy, wonder if he went off the rails for a while in the second half of the season, playing in the magoos

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saintmike65
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 3:04pm Thanks Saintmike, very good summary.
Couple of Qs:
How do you know that about Stack?
Did Clark look fit?

Disappointing re:Cordy, wonder if he went off the rails for a while in the second half of the season, playing in the magoos
Re; Stack..read that on BF, made a lot of sense given he’s currently living in Perth.
Hunter Clark looks fit and just as importantly motivated

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Mike.

Where did you hear the Stack info?
Also what do you form your opinion of Eyre on?
Also the SOS or Cripps statement is a wow? Cripps I can understand but SOS I dont?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Thanks Saintmike, for someone who lives predominately interstate these training reports are eagerly consumed and very well received.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Saints58
Club Player

Eyre is a big unit look good when in defence and tried in forward line he did ok there took a few marks he even rucked a bit against Row.
In time trial he was up against mason wood who is a elite runner so bit harsh to judge him, but he did struggle a bit later after been running for a while fitness might need to get better.

Van es is a big unit very impressive was tried in forward line as well as in Defence could maybe see a early inclusion is 197cm,96kg and can really run and jump.

I watch Allison Play forward in the scrimmage he was a shocking kick for goal didn't even make the goal square from 40m out that was twice and next time had a open man but held the ball up and got caught, also struggled with reading where to go in the games. He did mark well but still he is not very big for a 195cm player now that we have new bigs he might be down in the pecking order.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 3:55pm Thanks Saintmike, for someone who lives predominately interstate these training reports are eagerly consumed and very well received.
Likewise. Thanks Saintmike.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Mike, who was wearing the No.47 training top ?

Was that Hotton (39) who injured his side or back and went off for treatment and was then seen back on the field talking to Ross ?

I noticed Connolly was consistently at the back of his running group during most of his runs. doesn't appear to be one of his strengths either.

How is Walsh coping with being the No. 2 fitness guy now that Misson is back at the Saints, they were both organising the runner groups at one point.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Saints58
Club Player

No 47#Eyre 46#stocker

Saintmike65
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:09pm Mike, who was wearing the No.47 training top ?

Was that Hotton (39) who injured his side or back and went off for treatment and was then seen back on the field talking to Ross ?

I noticed Connolly was consistently at the back of his running group during most of his runs. doesn't appear to be one of his strengths either.

How is Walsh coping with being the No. 2 fitness guy now that Misson is back at the Saints, they were both organising the runner groups at one point.
Liam Stocker wearing #47…Connelly is a sprinter but struggles with distance running compared to most of his peers.
Nick Walsh seems fine, basically doing what he did last year, overseeing day to day training program re: fitness.
He’s a bit of a smiling assassin..flogs the players with a jovial side!!
They are extremely fit.
Dave Misson overseeing the whole fitness, rehab, well-being.
Last edited by Saintmike65 on Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:09pm Mike, who was wearing the No.47 training top ?

Was 47 Eyre?
39 is Hotton. I like the look of him. Not saying he’ll get a game round one but he’s got something.
Agree re Connolly. I was surprised as I thought he was a good runner.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:03pm Eyre is a big unit look good when in defence and tried in forward line he did ok there took a few marks he even rucked a bit against Row.
In time trial he was up against mason wood who is a elite runner so bit harsh to judge him, but he did struggle a bit later after been running for a while fitness might need to get better.

Van es is a big unit very impressive was tried in forward line as well as in Defence could maybe see a early inclusion is 197cm,96kg and can really run and jump.

I watch Allison Play forward in the scrimmage he was a shocking kick for goal didn't even make the goal square from 40m out that was twice and next time had a open man but held the ball up and got caught, also struggled with reading where to go in the games. He did mark well but still he is not very big for a 195cm player now that we have new bigs he might be down in the pecking order.
Unfortunately Allison has a long way to go - I dont think he will become the player we had hoped. I wouldnt be disappointed see him delisted if we had another better option as a SSP. I noticed Kaelan Bradtke 195cm forward is training with Richmond, I wonder if we would consider someone like that?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Saintmike58. Another great summary.

Cordy is still recovering from getting completely legless on Mad Monday, it appears. He's going to have to really push himself hard after Christmas to get himself in contention for round one. Ross doesn't entertain playing guys whose fitness is sub-par.

Quite a few guys in the gym, doing laps, or on the sidelines.

I really hope Stocker absolutely hammers the running track over the break. He'll never realise his potential if his fitness doesn't improve, which would be a real shame. He can obviously play. If he doesn't get into tip top shape by mid to late January, it could be all over for him. I'm sure the fitness team are imploring him to put in the work.

Pleased to know that Bytel is really fit. It's something he's never been since he was drafted. I've always thought that his ability couldn't be properly assessed due to the injuries he's had and the interruptions at critical stages. I really want to see what he's capable of. He was a gun at U18 level and the highlights I saw during that period were very impressive.

If this coaching team can turn Allson into a football I will be very impressed indeed. He needs to get out of first gear and really start demanding the ball and displaying a hunger to be involved. Up until now he's played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 3:26pm Thanks Mike.

Where did you hear the Stack info?
Also what do you form your opinion of Eyre on?
Also the SOS or Cripps statement is a wow? Cripps I can understand but SOS I dont?
My view on Eyre is just a gut feeling..I’ve just got a feeling he is one of those skinny talls lacking intensity and body strength..happy to be proven wrong.

Regarding the list manager, reckon we’ll have another crack at Cripps but if unsuccessful, it’ll be SOS.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So Eyre is a bit of josh Schache?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:27pm
Cordy is still recovering from getting completely legless on Mad Monday, it appears. He's going to have to really push himself hard after Christmas to get himself in contention for round one. Ross doesn't entertain playing guys whose fitness is sub-par.
Doesn’t Troy Schwarze know it.

Frankly the fact that he’s getting a second chance is a sign that RTB has mellowed a bit over the years

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Reading the above about Alison, I think he won't make it . Maybe the Saints should have bitten the bullet this year and delisted him

Banger9798
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:41pm

Frankly the fact that he’s getting a second chance is a sign that RTB has mellowed a bit over the years
Not really. We'd traded him in before RTB was on board.
He's had probably no input into the squad he's got, other than the lawfirm of Stack, Stocker and Eyre.
Doubt he had much of a say in the draft.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:27pm If this coaching team can turn Allson into a football I will be very impressed indeed.
Would that be a red or yellow football ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
diddley
Club Player

If this coaching team can turn Allson into a football I will be very impressed indeed.
I will be very impressed too.
I mean, I think the new coaching team can be great, but I don’t think they can turn players into Sherrin’s.
And who is Allson?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 5:32pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 4:41pm

Not really. We'd traded him in before RTB was on board.
He's had probably no input into the squad he's got, other than the lawfirm of Stack, Stocker and Eyre.
Doubt he had much of a say in the draft.
Yeah it was meant to be tongue in cheek

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Seriously if Cordy is being given his faux pas on Mad Monday then I think we should be looking at Fev to step in for Max.

Quite sad if Cordy cannot do the right thing by himself let alone his new club for him to be languishing. Piss him off now and pay him out, give someone a crack who GAF.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:28pm Seriously if Cordy is being considered given his faux pas on Mad Monday then I think we should be looking at Fev to step in for Max.

Quite sad if Cordy cannot do the right thing by himself let alone his new club for him to be languishing. Piss him off now and pay him out, give someone a crack who GAF.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I really hope Stocker absolutely hammers the running track over the break. He'll never realise his potential if his fitness doesn't improve,

On your last sentence. What are you basing your comment on? Last years press, or what is happening on the training track now?

I watched Stocker on Monday and he kept up with all the repeated sprint endurance work, and looked no more stressed than any other player after it.

Cordy was the main player who stood out as not fit enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 16 Dec 2022 9:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....