New Maximum(less) forward line ideas??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Maximum(less) forward line ideas??

Would you consider Lockett and Dunstall big men?

Ian Cooper??

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 10:12am Would you consider Lockett and Dunstall big men?

Ian Cooper??
Plugger’s daughter and my daughter played in the same netball team. He is not as tall as me - I am 6’5, I would say from memory about 6’2, but he was a very solid unit, big strong hands. Nice bloke, a little quiet, good family man.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Plugger almost has no height - I am so aware of his intimidating presence ..he seems like a monster..the picture for ‘built like a brick shithouse’ entry has a picture of plugger in it- with missing tooth. Now I’m scared of netball.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saints58
Club Player

How about playing forward this would allow us to have guys marking targets with Van es he is elite in speed and his vertical is ridicules would be picked up the 3 forward which is not normally that big so at 197cm 98kg is a really handful. Resting ruck in Row and Campbell is a reall problem with member sharman gresh there is a really damaging HF line.
HF membery ,Sharman, Gresham
Van Es, Row/Campbell ,Higgins

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So we are chucking in a guy who hasn’t played a games, an 18yo drafted as a key defender

As the replacement key forward?!

I think Battle or Cordy or Marshall will play as a tall forward

Maybe Sharman?

Saints58
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 7:26pm So we are chucking in a guy who hasn’t played a games, an 18yo drafted as a key defender

As the replacement key forward?!

I think Battle or Cordy or Marshall will play as a tall forward

Maybe Sharman?
[/quote

Out of all the recruits we have got this season he is the only one who has the size and attributes to play at 197cm 98kg.

Plus I would not play him as a lone forward hence the reason why I suggested Row or Campbell to help out so Van es takes the 3 defender and being elite runner and a very high vertical is a great advantage plus with Marshall there to help as well.

Richmond Played josh Gibcus who was a guy who hasn't played a game and is a 18yo Key defender in 2022 who is smaller the van es at 196cm and lighter 87kg then Van es.

So yes I would play a 18 yo like windhager who played on some of the toughest mids in the comp or Owen who when played as a forward in 22 as a 18yo who did well against geelong with 2 goals on there big defenders and until got injured did a great job,or NWM who played as a 18yo on the wing at only 187cm and 79kg against some seasoned players.

If we had decided not to play these guys because they were 18yo with no games and in first year we wouldn't have seen what they could do.
I am not saying he players there all the time but try a few games there especially if we go small in the forward line and play Battle, Sharman, Membrey tallest is 193cm so van es would be a point of difference.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I asked ChatGPT (The new artificial intelligence app which you can use for free) about Max King.
First I tried asking it about Stkilda.
It said,

St Kilda Football Club is an Australian professional football club based in Melbourne, Victoria. The club was founded in 1873 and plays in the Australian Football League (AFL). St Kilda has won one premiership (league championship) in its history, in 1966. The club is known for its strong fan base and has a long-standing rivalry with fellow Melbourne-based club Carlton.

I hope this information is helpful! If you have any other questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Who should replace Max King at full-forward?

It is not within my knowledge or capabilities to provide information on current or potential player movements or replacements for specific positions within a sports team. As a language model, I am unable to access current events or browse the internet, and my knowledge is based on the information that was available to me at the time of my training.

I recommend consulting with knowledgeable sources, such as team officials, coaches, or sports media, for the most up-to-date and accurate information on player movements and replacements within a sports team.

How about the members of Saintsational Fan forum?
I'm sorry, but I am unable to provide information on specific individuals or groups, including members of online forums. As a language model, I do not have the ability to browse the internet or access information about specific individuals or groups. My knowledge is based on the information that was available to me at the time of my training, and I am not able to provide current or specific information about individuals or groups.

I recommend consulting with other sources, such as team officials, coaches, or sports media, for the most up-to-date and accurate information about player movements and replacements within a sports team.

Are Saints smart?
In general, it is not appropriate or fair to make assumptions about the intelligence or abilities of individuals based on their occupation, role, or title. Intelligence can take many forms and can be measured in a variety of ways, and it is important to recognize and respect the unique strengths and abilities of each individual.

So if Silicon Valley doesn't know, I'll have a go.
Dougal Howard

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I changed my mind (I can see you yawn..)

Jack Hayes

I reckon Hayes will be the guy they focus on as FF..which means less ruck emphasis for him

They might rotate a number of players through ruck to give Marshall a break.

So if you lot are at training, see if you can see drills that show this..

I base this off the little I read about Hayes playing for Woodsville-West Torrens or whatever its called over there.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 11:06am I changed my mind (I can see you yawn..)

Jack Hayes

I reckon Hayes will be the guy they focus on as FF..which means less ruck emphasis for him

I base this off the little I read about Hayes playing for Woodsville-West Torrens or whatever its called over there.
The only problem with that is that Hayes probably won’t play the first month of the year.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 11:54am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 11:06am I changed my mind (I can see you yawn..)

Jack Hayes

The only problem with that is that Hayes probably won’t play the first month of the year.
One month?

Geezuz!

What a cluster of disappointment - a giant zit with three heads.

Then Membrey plus a decoy.

I am really concerned that Lyon, being human like the rest of us, won't wanna go with instincts in order to preserve himself a little from criticism that may come his way if we are say 0-5, by stating that it is all a group decision etc., Also concerned he won't tell Dougal Howard that he has to go forward, like it or not. I think Carlisle was like this in a way. He preferred to play back and got his wish granted. He was pretty good for a while too.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 3:06pm

Jack Hayes

One month?

Geezuz!

I am really concerned that Lyon, being human like the rest of us, won't wanna go with instincts in order to preserve himself a little from criticism that may come his way if we are say 0-5, by stating that it is all a group decision etc., Also concerned he won't tell Dougal Howard that he has to go forward, like it or not. I think Carlisle was like this in a way. He preferred to play back and got his wish granted. He was pretty good for a while too.
Howard won’t be going anywhere near the forward line. Members and Sharman can play there with Marshall, and potentially Campbell dropping in when not rucking.
Or we could play Butler, Gresham, Higgins, Bytel and Byrnes and try for the smallest forward line of all time. It would confuse the hell out of the opposition.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 4:17pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 3:06pm

Jack Hayes

One month?

Geezuz!

Howard won’t be going anywhere near the forward line. Members and Sharman can play there with Marshall, and potentially Campbell dropping in when not rucking.
Or we could play Butler, Gresham, Higgins, Bytel and Byrnes and try for the smallest forward line of all time. It would confuse the hell out of the opposition.
I often wonder this ..why not have a low-calorie forward line....one full of Paul Callerys..and grub the ball forward. I think it might work - for a quarter, before the oppo worked out that they just run their most agile mids through the back line and clean up.

Butler Higgo Gresh
Billings Steele Byrnes

?? Higgo can jump and mark in a contest. Steele once was a forward but Sharman could be CHF

Seriously, we are in trouble here..unless someone shines unexpectedly.
Maybe it is Membrey. I can't remember the last time was a true full-forward. Was he ever? Under Richo? When Bruce wasn't firing? (Which was often)

So we are praying on a miracle revelation (say Bytel/Byrnes become stars) or some seriously brilliant left-field ideas.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Perfect solution if we are wanting to be the league’s laughing stock.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I read, but didn't gather the source at the time, that Hayes has been approved to step up his training, he has his sights set on round 1.

11 months instead of 12, isn't unheard of.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I read, but didn't gather the source at the time, that Hayes has been approved to step up his training, he has his sights set on round 1.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Round 1?

J Hayes v Purple Haze.

Get the poster.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 7:04pm I read, but didn't gather the source at the time, that Hayes has been approved to step up his training, he has his sights set on round 1.

I’m pretty sure Harvey and Goddard both came back in under 12 months. Might be different for mids though.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Rhetorical
Is it a coincidence that when a player of good but not exceptional skills like Stengel when playing alongside big forwards that kicked some 130 goals themselves he suddenly shines as a revelation? Jack H should be so fortunate.
Another from hindsight Harry: if your side does not have more than one big capable forward, say like St Kilda, why would you think having a plethora of small scurrying forwards has any chance of success. See also Lions, Richmond. Swans can make it work because Heeney and that mouthy one are exceptional. Pies have biggish mobile forwards and excellent mids. I am not sure now - and accept this probably rationalisation - that Ratts was all that analytical. Or maybe his advisors fixated on forward entries - great set of numbers BR, don't understand the scoreboard.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 12:50pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 7:04pm I read, but didn't gather the source at the time, that Hayes has been approved to step up his training, he has his sights set on round 1.

I’m pretty sure Harvey and Goddard both came back in under 12 months. Might be different for mids though.
Bloke has been a big size running machine for 3 years averaging 26 possessions in the SANFL. He'll be ready.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Minutes
Coaches and Selection Committee Meeting
March 12, 2023
Moorabbin RSEA Park

Present
Ross 'The Boss' Lyon RL
Brendan B.J. Goddard BJ
Robert 'Banger Harvs' Harvey RH
Lenny 'No Nick Name' Hayes LH
Corey 'Boris' Enright CE
Jarrd 'Roughy' Roughhead JR
Nick Dal Santo: NDS

RL: Alright boys? Gather round. Where are my toasted Ham and Cheezes? Did anyone bring my...
BJ: Got 'em...
RL: Good. right then. Roughy, you're fired.
JR (Leaves room)
RL Now then, who are we playing Round One?
RH: Freo boss..your old mates.
RL s***...look don't panic...weve all gotta improve..No worries, we've got this. Boris, you are in charge of the backline?
CE: you got it Boss!
RL Who is full back?
CE: Dougal Howard
RL: Bloody winger..fair enough. Banger! Are those C grade hacks ready ?
RH & LH Sure
RL Really, tell me how..we gonna win the mid with those trundlers..
RH Well we are gonna rotate the old guard with the new pups..see.?
LH yeah...we are gonna mix em up in the middle, like a milkshake
RL I like it. Now then, who is in charge of the forwards?
...(silence)
RL: you! Dal..what about you?
NDS: I'm women's coach boss.
RL: no forward coach!! Geez.. Who are the forwards? The key forwards?
LH: We don't have any....
RH: He's right boss...got none..
RL: f***! What about the opposition? Do they have any defenders? Boris, you are defensive coach, tell me. Tell me now or get my milk shake AND my croissant too.
CE: I wouldn't worry about it Boss..there is a kid called Griffin Logue
RL: how tall?
CE: 193 cm
RL ..no problem, 193..pip squeaks from WA..I've had my share of them ...piss weak...who else?
RH: Hayden Young ..
RL: ?
RH : 189cm!!
RL: You gotta be joking! And..
BJ: Well, Ross, chap called Alex Peace..197cm
RL: What..OK then we can still do it...I'll hire a forward coach ..who is down at Sandy?
BJ: Brennan..
RL: Brennan what? Are you talking to yourself BJ!
BJ: Cox, Brennan Cox, 195cm
RL: OK ....meeting is over. We have no forward line, we have no forward coach..some one give me a solution!