Sydney Stack ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Sydney Stack ?

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 5:53pm
Several very interesting observations there with your final statement

With Long you have to understand that the Saints played him as a forward for most of his career

Ben was challenged by Brett Ratten to change from the forward line to the backline and he delivered with a very good and consistent year in 2020. His numbers were as good as Coffield, Clark, and even Paton.

How is Ben any different to the players mentioned. They have all had interrupted careers for one reason or another.

Can I just say that Ben Long did find his mojo with the Saints and he proved during several games what he was capable of but the club has a history of losing talent to its competitors

Did you watch the round 23 match against Sydney?
Yes I did, it was clearly a case of leaving his best game to last. It left me wondering why he did not play like that in some more of his 6 year 79 games career, didn't it you?? I mean, Long obviously has talent to produce such a strong dominating performance as he did in round 23.

I don't think it's right to characterise Ben Long's move to the Suns as a case of St Kilda "losing talent to its competitors", as the following article in The Age on 22 September explains, the club had put a new contract on the table, which Long declined:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eme ... 5bhvy.html

What I do agree with is that for far too many years young players seem to take an extraordinary long time to achieve their potential - the headline "Emerging Saint" for a player who's been at the club for 6 years says it all!

On the bright side, the debut this season of three 2021 draftees Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera and Owens gives us hope that under Damian Carroll, with support from the new coaching panel in 2023, that particular aspect of player development will be vastly better....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 10:18pm What is the best predictor of future behaviour?
Are you saying we should fold the club?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 22 Dec 2022 3:12pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 5:53pm
Several very interesting observations there with your final statement

With Long you have to understand that the Saints played him as a forward for most of his career

Ben was challenged by Brett Ratten to change from the forward line to the backline and he delivered with a very good and consistent year in 2020. His numbers were as good as Coffield, Clark, and even Paton.

How is Ben any different to the players mentioned. They have all had interrupted careers for one reason or another.

Can I just say that Ben Long did find his mojo with the Saints and he proved during several games what he was capable of but the club has a history of losing talent to its competitors

Did you watch the round 23 match against Sydney?
Yes I did, it was clearly a case of leaving his best game to last. It left me wondering why he did not play like that in some more of his 6 year 79 games career, didn't it you?? I mean, Long obviously has talent to produce such a strong dominating performance as he did in round 23.

I don't think it's right to characterise Ben Long's move to the Suns as a case of St Kilda "losing talent to its competitors", as the following article in The Age on 22 September explains, the club had put a new contract on the table, which Long declined:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eme ... 5bhvy.html

What I do agree with is that for far too many years young players seem to take an extraordinary long time to achieve their potential - the headline "Emerging Saint" for a player who's been at the club for 6 years says it all!

On the bright side, the debut this season of three 2021 draftees Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera and Owens gives us hope that under Damian Carroll, with support from the new coaching panel in 2023, that particular aspect of player development will be vastly better....
Windy, NWM and Michito all benefited from the opportunities given to them by Ratten. Our player group welcomed these younger blokes with open arms so that also gives me faith that we have a good culture going forward. Brett had faith in the youngsters and they gained confidence by being given important roles within the team

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm warming to Stack. I was originally against it - but I think Ross has always fancied himself to turn players around.

He didn't get there with Harley Bennell, but he did with many others - Dawson, McQualter, Raph Clarke and even Stephen Milne didn't play his best footy until Ross came along.

What I like about Stack is that he's a tempo-setter. Within a few acts, he can lift an entire team. His 15 possessions can indirectly lead to 3-4 goals and it provides huge belief to have such an X-factor on the team.

Happy to wait and see how he attacks pre-season. Not sure he'll get that spot, but he has the talent.

I look at it a little like Geelong's situation with Jack Steven and Tyson Stengle. One worked, the other didn't. It's a gamble, but he's free. The upside is massive and the downside is almost zero.

It might put the wind up a few of our smalls - Higgins, Butler, Billings - who are all competing for the same spots next year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 11:01am I'm warming to Stack. I was originally against it - but I think Ross has always fancied himself to turn players around.

He didn't get there with Harley Bennell, but he did with many others - Dawson, McQualter, Raph Clarke and even Stephen Milne didn't play his best footy until Ross came along.

What I like about Stack is that he's a tempo-setter. Within a few acts, he can lift an entire team. His 15 possessions can indirectly lead to 3-4 goals and it provides huge belief to have such an X-factor on the team.

Happy to wait and see how he attacks pre-season. Not sure he'll get that spot, but he has the talent.

I look at it a little like Geelong's situation with Jack Steven and Tyson Stengle. One worked, the other didn't. It's a gamble, but he's free. The upside is massive and the downside is almost zero.

It might put the wind up a few of our smalls - Higgins, Butler, Billings - who are all competing for the same spots next year.
Tend to agree
We have to take a few risks as we aren’t destination
If anyone can turn him around Lyon can

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think the odds are now stacked.

Stacked with the cars.

Not a muck thrower.

But the Sydney might now be the best course.

Northbound..

Hang in there.

Humility and then Honour.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 5:45pm I think the odds are now stacked.

Stacked with the cars.

Not a muck thrower.

But the Sydney might now be the best course.

Northbound..

Hang in there.

Humility and then Honour.
He’s training with a WA side I last heard
BF suggested Stocker a lock and Stack has sailed ??

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HS reporting:

Ex-Tigers bad boy hit with serious driving charges

Delisted Tigers star Sydney Stack is in trouble with the law once again, with a string of alleged dangerous driving offences set to land him in court next month.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
realdeal
Club Player

[quote=saintsRrising post_id=1992288 time=1673336828 user_id=192]
HS reporting:

[i]Ex-Tigers bad boy hit with serious driving charges

Delisted Tigers star Sydney Stack is in trouble with the law once again, with a string of alleged dangerous driving offences set to land him in court next month.[/i]
[/quote]

Any confirmation as to when these alleged incidents took place?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 6:47pm HS reporting:

Ex-Tigers bad boy hit with serious driving charges

Delisted Tigers star Sydney Stack is in trouble with the law once again, with a string of alleged dangerous driving offences set to land him in court next month.
I think he stacked the car.

He's on his way to Sydney now.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole!

He is not good enough to have to deal with his off field rubbish

Problem with alcohol amongst other things

Not as bad as Lovett - don’t think he hits women??

But is a distraction

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mowman said:
Former Richmond Tigers star Sydney Stack to face court over serious driving charges​

Brianna Travers Brianna Travers
Follow
@briannatravers

less than 2 min read
January 10, 2023 - 5:22PM

00:38
Richmond's Sydney Stack involved in late-night brawl (7 News)

Richmond player Sydney Stack has been filmed punching-on outside a Perth nightclub when he was supposed to be completing two weeks quarantine.

Police & Courts​

Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Former Richmond footy player Sydney Stack will face court next month over a raft of serious driving charges, including drink driving without a licence.
The Herald Sun can reveal the recently delisted Stack will face the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on February 1 for a mention hearing relating to six charges including drink driving, unlicensed driving and driving an unregistered vehicle.
The former Tiger has also been charged with two counts of entering an intersection against a red traffic light.
Richmond player Sydney Stack has been released from Hakea Prison on bail after appearing in court on quarantine beach charges. Picture: Justin Benson-Cooper / The West Australian
Richmond player Sydney Stack has been released from Hakea Prison on bail after appearing in court on quarantine beach charges. Picture: Justin Benson-Cooper / The West Australian
The 22-year-old has been charged by Victoria Police’s Prahran uniform division.
Stack was signed to the Tigers ahead of the 2019 season and played 35 games across four seasons before being delisted at the end of 2022.
Born in Western Australia, Stack faced a series of off-field controversies while contracted to Richmond.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is SS still training with us?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never was

Stocker and Eyre are

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Right.

What ever gave me that idea.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 8:01pm Is SS still training with us?
You’d have to imagine whatever prospect he did have with us… the club either knew he wasn’t doing well back home or this last little foray with the law would surely have blown his chances out of the water

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Looking past Stack, I think Quinton Narkle is probably the next best available, then ... with the X factor we could use.
Was only averaging 30-40% game time at Geelong ... I don't know if that indicates a lack of fitness?

I think he's training with Richmond?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think Richmnd have two players training with them we should be watching Narkle & Kaelan Bradtke. Narkle has reportedly lost 7-8kgs over the preseason and is flying. Bradtke is the 21yo athletic tall forward from the Ovens & Murray that didn't get drafted. He played 2 x VFL games for the Swans and did ok, plus I think he is the son of the ex Australian Basketballer.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 1:13pm I think Richmnd have two players training with them we should be watching Narkle & Kaelan Bradtke. Narkle has reportedly lost 7-8kgs over the preseason and is flying. Bradtke is the 21yo athletic tall forward from the Ovens & Murray that didn't get drafted. He played 2 x VFL games for the Swans and did ok, plus I think he is the son of the ex Australian Basketballer.
I’m a fan of Narkle

Clearly can play and is what we need.

Application has been the query

Saints58
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 1:13pm I think Richmnd have two players training with them we should be watching Narkle & Kaelan Bradtke. Narkle has reportedly lost 7-8kgs over the preseason and is flying. Bradtke is the 21yo athletic tall forward from the Ovens & Murray that didn't get drafted. He played 2 x VFL games for the Swans and did ok, plus I think he is the son of the ex Australian Basketballer.
Yes he is the son of Mark Bradtke who played for the boomers as a 4/5 man and was a huge unit and played very physical basketball.
If he is anything like his dad he would be worthwhile to look at.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If the two lads training with us give their all and impress then I am happy to take them. I have some suspicions that Narkle may not be what we want for our list and the environment we wish to make a bench mark of.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:07pm
Yes he is the son of Mark Bradtke who played for the boomers as a 4/5 man and was a huge unit and played very physical basketball.
If he is anything like his dad he would be worthwhile to look at.
And son of tennis player Nicole Provis (Bradtke), doen't mean he's any good but there are some serious sporting genes in that family.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 2:32pm
I’m a fan of Narkle

Clearly can play and is what we need.

Application has been the query
It appears from above the "penny didn't drop" in his time at Geelong but now has.
In stark contrast Geelong got maximum benefit in 2022 from a previously troubled Stengle.
Concerning that a Geelong culture with leaders such as Selwood, Dangerfield etc couldn't get the maximum out of Narkle's undoubted talent.

Stack, Stengle & Narkle offer similar being highly talented players who for whatever reason have had off field issues or have not been able to perform consistently at AFL level.

There is massive upside is there if you harness the talent and work ethic.

I know a lot will back Ross to get the most out of players but Harley Bennell who was also a gifted but troubled player could not bring it togther under Ross, although it could be argued he had major injury issues during his time at Freo.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Templar
Club Player

Reasons not to recruit:
- Taken away from parents at young age
- Drunk driving in an unregistered car
- Arrested by police with iliicit powder
- Struggled getting a game at Tigers
- Delisted by Tigers in his early twenties
- Pledged to "do better" in court

Reasons to recruit:
- Loved living in Victoria
- Fast, classy, gritty footballer with EXCELLENT evasive and ball skills

So come on down Sidney Stack!

But wait. Those dot points all belong to Tyson Stengle.

Yet Geelong signed him for on field skill and potential.

Result:
- All Australian forward pocket and premiership winner at age 23 in 2022

Unlike the Cats, St Kilda being risk averse, do their due diligence and offer a three year contract to a player from a very good family with few off field issues.

I wish Zaine Cordy all the best and hope he can make an impact in our first 22 but Stack's footy skills and sublime foot passing will be hard to watch if he gets listed by another team.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Stengle had to ply his trade in the SANFL before he got picked up

Let’s see how hungry Stack is by how he performs in the WAFL