Sack & Happy - Happy Sack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Sack & Happy - Happy Sack

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 7:45am 1. Yes
2. Yes

* both emphatic!!
Agree, before Brett's sacking we were staring down the barrel of total irrelevance (by no means was that all Rattens fault), enter Ross, and with him Hayes, Harvey and Goddard and add a good draft period , and we have some momentum again.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who’s fault was it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I blame Jack Billings

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I blame Jack Billings

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lol

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jack got another chance. Ross will.make it his last chance. Another waste.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 9:20am Who’s fault was it?
Clearly Basset and Lethleans fault. CLEARLY!

This whole circus act has been a masterclass at deflection of accountability and they are lauded for being brutal and decisive....pfft!

And Lethers who was in charge of the footy department gets a promotion, unbelievable. It's text book sycophant executive management 101, the more useless you are at the coal face, the better you get at self promotion and rise up the greasy pole. And it is only the truly great corporations that can hide the oxygen thieves in lofty executive positions.

And Bassett is your typical egotistical type who uses the AFL system to play out boyhood dreams whilst advancing personal agendas.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Pretty obviously it was partly Rattens fault, but the responsibility is distributed across the entire playing group, coaching group and administrators.

Several of the coaches have moved on, Enright remains.

Definitely feels like a move in the right direction, as the expectation to win seemed to have dropped away., and therefore Ratts had to go. But it would be a huge error to think that on its own, solves our problems.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 1:49pm
Pretty obviously it was partly Rattens fault, but the responsibility is distributed across the entire playing group, coaching group and administrators.

Several of the coaches have moved on, Enright remains.

Definitely feels like a move in the right direction, as the expectation to win seemed to have dropped away., and therefore Ratts had to go. But it would be a huge error to think that on its own, solves our problems.
Yes, once again we stuff it up and once again one person cops in the neck but the reality is we are St Kilda and it's in our DNA to not get it right as a collective but always have to have a scapegoat followed by a Messiah....we are stuck in a loop.

darylcowie
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 06 Jan 2023 4:29pm I signed the form but dropped an untouched ballot paper in the box. Again. Creature of habit.
What form did you sign?
I just got my name crossed off the list and then did likewise.
That way I'm only disappointed that others think they have the illusion of choice.
My illusions were shattered in 2021 and it had nothing to do with the Saints, because that illusion was all too obvious given our brutal draw that year.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Mr Ken Oath x 2 and we're both happy

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 8:39pm
desertsaint wrote: Fri 06 Jan 2023 4:29pm I signed the form but dropped an untouched ballot paper in the box. Again. Creature of habit.
What form did you sign?
I just got my name crossed off the list and then did likewise.
That way I'm only disappointed that others think they have the illusion of choice.
My illusions were shattered in 2021 and it had nothing to do with the Saints, because that illusion was all too obvious given our brutal draw that year.
truth be told i did neither. i stayed in bed and said i was sick. i haven't gone to an election booth for many years. let others waste their time. one day maybe somewhere someone will be worth a vote. been a long time.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 06 Jan 2023 12:26pm
B.M wrote: Fri 06 Jan 2023 11:57am Yes - should not have been re-signed when he was
Yes - best available coach
But that is the issue isn't it?

We will never know if he was the best available.
Put up an alternative if you’re so adamant Lyon wasnt best cred outside what was left
Otherwise it’s just more “I don’t like Ross” rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 7:57am I'd like another poll

Do you think Ross will win a flag within 4 years?
I’d like a poll asking which coach will? I only want improvement and for the boys to show some ticker.

And I personally think Ross is the most likely to take us to a flag

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 08 Jan 2023 3:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 07 Jan 2023 7:57am I'd like another poll

Do you think Ross will win a flag within 4 years?
I’d like a poll asking which coach will? I only want improvement and for the boys to show some ticker.

And I personally think Ross is the most likely to take us to a flag
Spot on Moods
I’d love a flag but if I’m 4 years time we have a strong, we’ll drilled team playing consistently good footy and Ross decides to move on with no flag - we are still miles in front of where we’ve been with Ratten and Cho

“Yeah….nah””
spert
Saintsational Legend

1. Yes, I think Ratts lost the players and was pretty ordinary tactically
2. No, although a better coach than Ratts on past performances, that was then and this is now. Should have gone for a younger, hungrier coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 10:43am 1. Yes, I think Ratts lost the players and was pretty ordinary tactically
2. No, although a better coach than Ratts on past performances, that was then and this is now. Should have gone for a younger, hungrier coach.
Interesting Spert
Like who?
And do you think the club after 6 years Cho 3 of Brett could afford to stuff it up again in all seriousness??

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 10:17pm
spert wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 10:43am 1. Yes, I think Ratts lost the players and was pretty ordinary tactically
Interesting Spert
Like who?
And do you think the club after 6 years Cho 3 of Brett could afford to stuff it up again in all seriousness??
IMO a proven coach is what we required at this time,if we got a unproven coach that didnt work,would set us back god only knows how long.Watters,Richo,Ratten to a lesser extent were all unproven senior coaches.The on and off field appointments feel right

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 11:22pm
Interesting Spert
Like who?
IMO a proven coach is what we required at this time,if we got a unproven coach that didnt work,would set us back god only knows how long.Watters,Richo,Ratten to a lesser extent were all unproven senior coaches.The on and off field appointments feel right
I agree I don’t think the club had the luxury of a free swing we had to get it right abd I think with what was available we have
Actually I’m still yet to hear anyone suggest the decision the club made was incorrect or there was a better option

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Interesting Spert
Like who?
Proven?

Proven at taking a one in a generation group of elite players in their prime to 3 grand final defeats.

Unproven and failed badly at building a list over 4 years with a 33% win rate and sacked in highly controversial circumstances.

Those are the facts.

Our list is in a rebuild mode so we will only know if Ross is proven somewhere into the future.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 7:16am
Interesting Spert
Like who?
Proven?

Proven at taking a one in a generation group of elite players in their prime to 3 grand final defeats.

Unproven and failed badly at building a list over 4 years with a 33% win rate and sacked in highly controversial circumstances.

Those are the facts.

Our list is in a rebuild mode so we will only know if Ross is proven somewhere into the future.
Oh dear….
Now Lyon hasn’t proven he can coach ..,
Ok might leave that one there… trolling at a new level for sure..

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 5:07pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 7:16am
Interesting Spert
Like who?
Proven?

Those are the facts.

Oh dear….
Now Lyon hasn’t proven he can coach ..,
Ok might leave that one there… trolling at a new level for sure..
Should have made it clear, proven at rebuilding, absolutely no question at all he can coach a list of talented and desperately hungry individuals to a common goal, the best in the business.

But surely you're not denying what happened at Freo whilst in charge of a rebuild?

No harm in accepting he failed at his first attempt, (for what ever the reasons were), common sense logic says he should have learnt from that experience and might be better second time around. We won't know for a little while yet so let's see how he goes on that score.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Interesting Spert
Like who?
What if we end up in the same ladder position in 2023 as we did in 2022..it is quite possible with people thinking young players are all going to become stars under a coach who had reasonable success 7 or more years ago. I'm not convinced, but I will be happy if we go up a few rungs and am proven wrong.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:30pm
Interesting Spert
Like who?
What if we end up in the same ladder position in 2023 as we did in 2022..it is quite possible with people thinking young players are all going to become stars under a coach who had reasonable success 7 or more years ago. I'm not convinced, but I will be happy if we go up a few rungs and am proven wrong.
Oh I think we’ll go backwards on 2022 - not same but that’s not the point of my question to you.
Who was better credentialed OR who was the unknown you think we should’ve gone with over Lyon?
I’m not having a go - genuine question.
For the record we went backwards Year 1 under Ross last time - as a few on BF note…anyone expecting miracles year 1 from Lyon, who has to undo 9 years of poor standards is kidding themselves.
Apparently recently talking to a few supporters over the fence while training was occurring Ross made 1 telling comment
“We have a lot to do here….”

“Yeah….nah””