150 years - we are still here & we want to win one

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

150 years - we are still here & we want to win one

www.afl.com.au/featured/880832/-life-is ... his-return

Seriously great read & great video on afl.com

Again RTB fills this ageing & passionate saint with pride & passion.

Yes RTB....after 150 years of turmoil & trauma we are still here & we want to win one!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: 150 years - we are still here & we want to win one

I kinda like Ross a bit more after reading that. If he truly loves the Saints then I'm on board for the ride.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 13 Mar 2023 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

“We wish there were more (premiership) cups, and the cynics and SCUMBAGS out there will go to that”.

😆

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 4:19pm I kinda like Ross a bit more after reading that. I f he truly loves the Saints then I'm on board for the ride.
It’s just a theory and he would probably deny it, but I wonder if RTB has a bit of a guilt complex on how he left the Saints and what happened after.

Maybe I’ve watched too many In Treatment episodes…

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st sandy
Club Player

RTB "We are here....we are not going anywhere....we are still hungry to win one"
"If i am connected anywhere...it is St Kilda"

We have the right person to lead our club (or he is a wonderful actor & should head to Hollywood).

He is saying all of the right things. I think he speaks honestly from the heart

I am well & truly on Board with RTB!!!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 9:37pm
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 4:19pm I kinda like Ross a bit more after reading that. I f he truly loves the Saints then I'm on board for the ride.
It’s just a theory and he would probably deny it, but I wonder if RTB has a bit of a guilt complex on how he left the Saints and what happened after.

It's possible there is guilt hiding behind all the vindication. Ross made his decision and we, as a club have done what?

Sanctorum
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 12:13pm

It's possible there is guilt hiding behind all the vindication. Ross made his decision and we, as a club have done what?
There's not much point going back and raking over the cold coals about Ross Lyon taking up the big dollar contract from Fremantle, but he is right when he says his departure from Moorabbin after 2011 was not good for the club. That's putting it mildly!

Once he was dumped by Freo after seven seasons at the helm and he returned to Melbourne it is only natural that he would have spent some time on reflection about his coaching career.

So the decision by the Board, in my view iniated by new club directorJason Blake and a number of other senior players from 2009-2011, to reach out to Ross Lyon to resuscitate the team, was a masterstroke. It is patently obvious when you listen to Ross talking about St Kilda and how much the club means to him, that he is passionate about doing bhis utmost to win that elusive 2nd premiership. It is also very clear that he is now a far better coach than he was first time around.

And in his second stint he may well succeed!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 4:52pm

There's not much point going back and raking over the cold coals about Ross Lyon taking up the big dollar contract from Fremantle, but he is right when he says his departure from Moorabbin after 2011 was not good for the club. That's putting it mildly!

Once he was dumped by Freo after seven seasons at the helm and he returned to Melbourne it is only natural that he would have spent some time on reflection about his coaching career.

So the decision by the Board, in my view iniated by new club directorJason Blake and a number of other senior players from 2009-2011, to reach out to Ross Lyon to resuscitate the team, was a masterstroke. It is patently obvious when you listen to Ross talking about St Kilda and how much the club means to him, that he is passionate about doing bhis utmost to win that elusive 2nd premiership. It is also very clear that he is now a far better coach than he was first time around.

Jason and Dal.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

more.
one more.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 12:46pm more.
one more.
Joey or Roey?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It is also very clear that he is now a far better coach than he was first time around.

How can you make this claim without Ross even having coached one game yet?

Shouldn't we at least wait a year or two before going out on that limb?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I believe Ross is in the St Kilda family spirit a little deeper this time. He was always intense and in deep the first time around too, but that was with the boys, the team at the current '07-'11 era...Now it feels like he has a deeper empathy. The St Kilda story as it were.

He may not be a better coach for it, and the way coaching is done these days - I mean delegating responsibilities - it may be hard to tell anyway.

being in the media for a couple of years, and actually being liked (those Ross the Boss segments did the trick because keeping a straight face when millionaire Mercedes man Mathew Llyod says 'Ross the Boss' is somehow endearing, turned him in the end into a likable fella superficially at least when it could have gone really sour for a while back there.

I'm sorry for Brett and if we do manage to pick up a few wins this year, or better, Ratts should be acknowledged too.

So here we go. We may not have the best list going around, or the best strategy, but we'll give it a crack. And they'll persist and fight to the last bullet.

It's surreal rather than real right now. This time next week, it will be real.

Go Saints!

I'm liking the minimalist 150 jumper now. Anyone else?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Correct
What’s clear is he gets the clubs psyche
He’ll behold a “tell them all to get roo Ted” attitude….and that’s fine by me
Even mental giant Damo treads lightly around RTB

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 10:48am RTB "We are here....we are not going anywhere....we are still hungry to win one"
"If i am connected anywhere...it is St Kilda"

We have the right person to lead our club (or he is a wonderful actor & should head to Hollywood).

He is saying all of the right things. I think he speaks honestly from the heart

I am well & truly on Board with RTB!!!
Love it!

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nettlefold a fool. Westaway a fool.
Ross pissed off and emotionally drained, vulnerable to a poacher.
How unlucky were we. Then Watters.
Never under estimate management smarts. Then we spurn the draft for a while. Too clever! We have had nothing since Ross left.
Bassett is fantastic, Ross a champion coach. At least now we have a chance of being competitive on a consistent basis and improving.
All respect to Ratts as well, he dragged us out of the gutter and tidied us up. Much to his personal cost.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep, but I feel the guilt complex has some traction and RTB feels like he owes us and that he has unfinished business at Moorabbin.

Ratts had stopped listening to his assistants, wasn't talking to Gallagher and showed all the signs that he was washed up, something that the gang from Ross' earlier era was quick to point out to the Board.

Thankfully. I t would have been folly to continue with Ratts, unfortunately for him.

Coaching good guys cone last. well, at least not top 8, something the prez came to realise with a little help from former players.

We are in a good place despite the injuries to over a dozen players.