Round 1 side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Round 1 side

B : Wilkie - Howard - Webster
HB : Sinclair - Battle - Wanganeen
C : Hill - Crouch - Wood
HF : Phillipou - Membrey - Gresham
F : Butler - Owens - Byrnes
R : Marshall - Steele - Windhager

I : Clark - Ross - Sharman - Paton
Sub : Higgins

E : Coffield - Stocker - Campbell

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hope we don't play anyone that isn't 100%

Even if the doctors clear them to play, they should hold them back if they haven't played in a practice match.

The competitive full contact training will help their confidence.

Guys like Membrey and Windhager will have plenty of opportunities to help us win games in 2023

bakes
Club Player

Thoughts on this again? Taking into account Caminiti to play R1 and Coffield/Membrey out.

HF : Byrnes - Caminiti - Gresham
F : Owens - Campbell - Higgins
R : Marshall - Steele - Clark

I : Windhager - Bytel - Stocker - Phillipou
Sub : Butler

Emergency: Van Es - Paton - Sharman - Highmore

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 10:33am Thoughts on this again? Taking into account Caminiti to play R1 and Coffield/Membrey out.

Close. :wink: Don't think Windy is going to come up. So put Campbell on the pine and Sharman at FF

spert
Saintsational Legend

I expect Campbell and Sharman will start in the forward half, with Bytel, Caminiti, Phillipou and Stocker on the bench. Maybe Highmore as sub.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 10:33am Thoughts on this again? Taking into account Caminiti to play R1 and Coffield/Membrey out.

Not sure Windy will get up.

Butler is our best at applying forward pressure in the forward half, and as it seems with our tall forwards being "make-dos" in Cordy (or Campbell) and Caminiti where the plan seems to be more for them to bring the ball to ground (recognises that Free has good backs) for our smalls to gather it I would expect RTB to select him.

So I expect who they will select to be:

F : Owens - Cordy- Higgins

I : Butler - Bytel - Stocker - Phillipou
Sub : Paton

Personally I do not mind Campbell in over Cordy as Freo have a two prong ruck division., plus I am not a Cordy fan.
If Campbell was in, you could also flog him for a half, and then bring in your Sub. Paton, Sharman etc.

Sharman could be an in, but it does seem odd that he got no minutes during Dons match. Owens and the Poo are also being used as marking targets too.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:07pm I expect Campbell and Sharman will start in the forward half, with Bytel, Caminiti, Phillipou and Stocker on the bench. Maybe Highmore as sub.

If Campbell and Sharman are selected Ross's selection integrity will be immediately bought into sharp attention.

bakes
Club Player

Just to keep this thread intact before it gets derailed by a troll, I'm a big fan of the structure that Campbell would bring to the table. Strong body, mature, work horse, would provide an honest contest as a tall forward and would provide ruck relief (although I'm not that impressed with his ruckwork - but 5 minutes here and there would be okay to give Marshall a breather).

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 2:00pm Just to keep this thread intact before it gets derailed by a troll, I'm a big fan of the structure that Campbell would bring to the table. Strong body, mature, work horse, would provide an honest contest as a tall forward and would provide ruck relief (although I'm not that impressed with his ruckwork - but 5 minutes here and there would be okay to give Marshall a breather).
Just can't see Campbell getting in based on how the praccy matches panned out, he really hasn't done anything during the pre season to enhance his position from last year which was entirely at Sandy and Ross is here to build for the future so I'd say Campbell will be lucky to get a game unless RoMa is injured. Ross has already stated key tall forward/rucks will be a prime target at trade time.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:35pm
spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:07pm I expect Campbell and Sharman will start in the forward half, with Bytel, Caminiti, Phillipou and Stocker on the bench. Maybe Highmore as sub.

If Campbell and Sharman are selected Ross's selection integrity will be immediately bought into sharp attention.
Pre-season practice matches are just that- not to be confused with actual games in the season.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 2:55pm

Pre-season practice matches are just that- not to be confused with actual games in the season.
possibly but in the midst of an injury crisis especially amongst the talls you'd think you'd get a run a praccy match, my guess is they have been told they will be cut at seasons end and are backup at best through out 2023, but strange things happen and who knows, they could turn it around really quickly, it happens, but unlikely.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

possibly but in the midst of an injury crisis especially amongst the talls you'd think you'd get a run a praccy match, my guess is they have been told they will be cut at seasons end and are backup at best through out 2023, but strange things happen and who knows, they could turn it around really quickly, it happens, but unlikely.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Don't want to play anymore who's injured or underdone. So that leaves this team

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Wangmil, Battle, Sinclair
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Owens
F: Butler, Caminiti, Phillipou

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Gresham
Int: Bytel, Clark, Cordy, Paton, Stocker (sub)

Defence is decent and there's some upside to the midfield. Not an AFL quality forward line though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 3:53pm

Told they will be cut at seasons end??? Before the season has actually f****** started? What absolute rubbish.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 14 Mar 2023 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 4:38pm Don't want to play anymore who's injured or underdone. So that leaves this team

Defence is decent and there's some upside to the midfield. Not an AFL quality forward line though.
Not bad.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 4:38pm Don't want to play anymore who's injured or underdone. So that leaves this team

Yep msg, pretty close. Can see Paton on the wing. Mr FixIt Wood to play a high half forward & our future champ, the Pou to the bench.
Will be between TC & the Sharmanator for a spot. I suspect TC gets the nod due to size, even though I'd prefer Cooper.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 5:12pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 3:53pm

Told they will be cut at seasons end??? Before the season has actually f****** started? What absolute rubbish.
Happens all the time, harsh but that's the reality of AFL, especially when a new coach comes in.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not before he sees what a players got FFS.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 7:02pm Not before he sees what a players got FFS.
He has got assistants that have given him intel FFS, namely Enright FFS.

FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’m amazed how many people keep nominating Sharman in their Round 1 team when the coaches chose not to play him in last practice match. Unless one of the forwards that played in that game gets injured , he just isn’t going to play.

I will be as interested and excited as anyone to see where the goals are going to come from. Unfortunately I just don’t see us kicking enough to beat either the dockers or the dogs. Would love to be wrong.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Possibility: coach wanted to see AC against serious opposition.
Knows what CS is capable of.
Concerned about AC and Pou debuting in same fwd line. Getting real life intel.
Having CS in the 24 would not be a bad thing. Has versatility and if either debutante gets stage fright he can take some heat off them.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti is the one I tellya

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 9:22pm I’m amazed how many people keep nominating Sharman in their Round 1 team when the coaches chose not to play him in last practice match. Unless one of the forwards that played in that game gets injured , he just isn’t going to play.

I will be as interested and excited as anyone to see where the goals are going to come from. Unfortunately I just don’t see us kicking enough to beat either the dockers or the dogs. Would love to be wrong.
Yeah it's a real head scratcher.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Some salivating matchups this week.

AA Squad Brennan Cox vs 1st gamer Caminiti
Pearce vs Sharman
Brayshaw vs Bytel (or Windy if he comes up)
Fyfe vs Wilkie (But I'd put Paton on him)
Jackson vs Battle
Darcy vs Marshall

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:40am
Zed wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 9:22pm I’m amazed how many people keep nominating Sharman in their Round 1 team when the coaches chose not to play him in last practice match. Unless one of the forwards that played in that game gets injured , he just isn’t going to play.

Yeah it's a real head scratcher.
Well, with a stronger team last year, we were soundly beaten by the Dogs and also by the Dockers the second time we played them (at home). So I reckon we're rank outsiders in both matches, and probably wouldn't have been favourites even if King, Membrey, Ross and perhaps others had been available.

However, I think the coaching staff do have a credible plan for the first few games of the season. The backline and the midfield looked well-organised against the Bombers. And I believe there is a tactic for the forward line as well, which is a lumbering tall target in Cordy, supplemented on occasions by Marshall, and surrounded by a large number of mobile players of varying sizes buzzing around the place: Gresham, Higgins, Butler, Owens and one or both of Philipou and Caminiti. I expect to see lots of quick, sometimes chaotic movement of the ball forward and a focus on trying to keep it inside our fifty. I can't really see a place for Sharman in that sort of structure, but we'll soon find out.

If Freo don't convert enough of their chances in the first half, the pressure on them might grow steadily and who knows what might happen? I don't think we've got much of a chance, but I'm hoping that we might see a bit of a devil-may-care attitude among our players which will do them the world of good if they can give a creditable performance and don't end up getting monumentally thrashed.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift