So who goes out if...?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

So who goes out if...?

Who goes out of our side should, by some miracle, all these blokes be available next week?

(from the injury thread - only those I think are possibly best 22)
Jack Billings
Jack Bytel
Nick Coffield
Jack Hayes
Zak Jones
Max King
Dan McKenzie
Tim Membrey
Jimmy Webster

I think our two talls - Pou and Hammer would need to make way for King and Membrey and, yet, they are playing much better than our small forwards.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: So who goes out if...?

Higgins was putrid tonight.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

King and Membery come in. One of Higgins or Butler make way. Cordy way too important as a 2nd ruck to drop, thought he did some superb things tonight in the ruck. I think a fwd line with Members, King, Owens, Philipou and Gresh and Butler is a great fwd line.

I wouldn't bring any of the others into the team if they were available tomorrow. Who I'd drop would likely be Byrnes.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Pou will not go out ...coffield won't come in
Members isn't a certain...you can't drop Owen's..Higgins for members. Thats about it

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hard to change a team that's won 2-0.

Jack Billings - Can't see him breaking into this side
Jack Bytel - Depth
Nick Coffield - Will need a few VFL games, but Stocker after that
Jack Hayes - Cordy but gains fitness 2-3 rounds in VFL
Zak Jones - Higgins/Butler who aren't being played as true small fwds
Max King - Who cares, he just plays. A forward line of King and Caminiti would be hard to defend against.
Dan McKenzie - Byrnes
Tim Membrey - Philippou's position but not his spot
Jimmy Webster - Stocker

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'd rest Steele.

We have options, Ross, Stocker, Owens and Bytel could all provide enough combined to cover him.

Essendon aren't a threat, they will still be working out what went wrong last time. They will struggle to score and they will struggle to stop from scoring.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:47am I'd rest Steele.

We have options, Ross, Stocker, Owens and Bytel could all provide enough combined to cover him.

Essendon aren't a threat, they will still be working out what went wrong last time. They will struggle to score and they will struggle to stop from scoring.
Are you kidding? The last two times we have played them they have absolutely schooled us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

"By some miracle" pretty well answers the question.

None of those listed will be ready.

Saint supporter since '62
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thing about the current forward set up is its lack of a real focal point. Guys bobbing up from everywhere and kicking goals. I don’t mind that … makes us unpredictable and hard to defend against.

Which isn’t to say that King/Membrey don’t come back in, just to be careful we don’t become predictable when and if they do. I reckon Ross is smart enough to guard against that anyway.

As to the OP, it’s hard to break into a winning side. If we keep the form up we’ll possibly have the luxury of bringing guys back with a game or two at Sandy under their belts.

Anyway, winning form is good form and competition for spots is the sign of a successful and healthy club.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 27 Mar 2023 7:28am, edited 1 time in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

King and Membrey would replace Phillipou and Owens, who would both need to be fitted in somewhere else on the field: although it might also be the case that Phillipou will spend some time at the Zebras, as its a big ask for a kid as young and as slight as him to play an entire season of AFL (although I have to say he looks like he's up for it at the moment).

If it were up to me, Webster would come back in for Paton. And, despite the negativity around Billings, he might do better as a forward than one of Higgins and Butler, and he might also be able to play the role performed by Byrnes, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Hayes will have to displace Cordy, who is going well ATM. Likewise, Coffield would need to displace either Webster or Stocker, and that will be a challenge for him. If Jones and DMac are ever fit again, they would also be competing for Byrnes's spot.

Bytel, Highmore, Connolly and Sharman all seem a fair way off to me.

Of course there will be injuries that will provide opportunities: eg, perhaps Steele for a few weeks. Also, the large amount of running that the players need to do under Lyon's game plan can take its toll. For instance, I can't see Hill playing 22 (or more) games in a season like the one he played last night: he will have to be rested at some stage.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:50am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:47am I'd rest Steele.

Are you kidding? The last two times we have played them they have absolutely schooled us.
We flogged them, just before we overpowered Freo and smashed the Bulldogs. Last year was a very long time ago.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 11:18pm Higgins was putrid tonight.
He’s such a natural footballer but still a blob of an athlete. He’s the one who looks like he’s struggling to play the plan and all the running it requires.

I can see Jack Peris replacing him very soon.

Go you red, black & white warriors
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Owens won't be dropped for anyone. He is a physical presence up forward that we have not had since Bruce in his first year. Neither Membrey or King deliver this. Cordy has made a difference in this area too.
I think he'd play better football in the middle.
Phillipou runs sub 3 sec 20's and has excellent endurance.
These guys will be on a program and have probably exceeded their expected output.
They can run in rotations and in all due respect for his age and experience, they have all the attributes that Wood has and this will be exploited in a 'year of discovery'.
I'd suggest that any forwards other than King, will need 2 positions or modes of game play.
When the list is refined to our best 30, and the coaches process takes over, the pressure for spots will be immense.

Templar
Club Player

Expect to see (managed) in brackets on the out lists in the coming weeks/months. Remarkable given injury list.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:43am Owens won't be dropped for anyone. He is a physical presence up forward that we have not had since Bruce in his first year. Neither Membrey or King deliver this. Cordy has made a difference in this area too.
These guys will be on a program and have probably exceeded their expected output.
They can run in rotations and in all due respect for his age and experience, they have all the attributes that Wood has and this will be exploited in a 'year of discovery'.
I'd suggest that any forwards other than King, will need 2 positions or modes of game play.
When the list is refined to our best 30, and the coaches process takes over, the pressure for spots will be immense.
It's why I had Owens ahead of Sharman for selection in the R1 side, his physical presence, I got hammered for that view but it was one of the reason's I thought/still think Sharman is way off the pace.

Camminiti is looking like he doesn't mind a bit of body work too, granted there is still a long way to go though before we can say he is definitely a permanent fixture.

Interesting to note Matteas hasn't laid a tackle in his first 2 games yet.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:18am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:43am Owens won't be dropped for anyone. He is a physical presence up forward that we have not had since Bruce in his first year. Neither Membrey or King deliver this. Cordy has made a difference in this area too.
It's why I had Owens ahead of Sharman for selection in the R1 side, his physical presence, I got hammered for that view but it was one of the reason's I thought/still think Sharman is way off the pace.

Camminiti is looking like he doesn't mind a bit of body work too, granted there is still a long way to go though before we can say he is definitely a permanent fixture.

Well I was seated in bay 6 last night, ground level. I definitely saw him lay a great tackle right in front of us near the boundary, unless my eyes were deceiving me. It was like a team tackle where a team mate jumped in to assist so maybe credited his team mate with it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:00am
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:18am

Well I was seated in bay 6 last night, ground level. I definitely saw him lay a great tackle right in front of us near the boundary, unless my eyes were deceiving me. It was like a team tackle where a team mate jumped in to assist so maybe credited his team mate with it.
That's interesting, can you remember what time in the game was that, I'm watching the replay so I'd be curious as to why the stats don't give him the stat??

silverhalo
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:15am King and Membrey would replace Phillipou and Owens, who would both need to be fitted in somewhere else on the field: although it might also be the case that Phillipou will spend some time at the Zebras, as its a big ask for a kid as young and as slight as him to play an entire season of AFL (although I have to say he looks like he's up for it at the moment).

If it were up to me, Webster would come back in for Paton. And, despite the negativity around Billings, he might do better as a forward than one of Higgins and Butler, and he might also be able to play the role performed by Byrnes, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Hayes will have to displace Cordy, who is going well ATM. Likewise, Coffield would need to displace either Webster or Stocker, and that will be a challenge for him. If Jones and DMac are ever fit again, they would also be competing for Byrnes's spot.

Bytel, Highmore, Connolly and Sharman all seem a fair way off to me.

Of course there will be injuries that will provide opportunities: eg, perhaps Steele for a few weeks. Also, the large amount of running that the players need to do under Lyon's game plan can take its toll. For instance, I can't see Hill playing 22 (or more) games in a season like the one he played last night: he will have to be rested at some stage.
Owens and Phillipou are not playing for Sandy, guaranteed!
All of a sudden we seem to have sensational depth!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:10am Expect to see (managed) in brackets on the out lists in the coming weeks/months. Remarkable given injury list.
+1

We don't want to burn the kids and we don't want hotspots on their feet and things like shin splints or osteitis pubis interfering with there progression.

We want these guys to build momentum for the next few years and not just the next few months.

I hope the coaches start forcing some of our players to back off and it will also mean that other players on the list get opportunities. It'll keep the whole list keen and enthusiastic with competition for spots.

It's important we don't lose sight of the longer term aims for the team and for our football club.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't it have been better for Max King if he was spelled and came out fresh instead of just playing him every game in 2021 and 2022

He seemed fit but there were several games were his work rate and enthusiasm seemed to be lacking

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 12:39pm Wouldn't it have been better for Max King if he was spelled and came out fresh instead of just playing him every game in 2021 and 2022

He seemed fit but there were several games were his work rate and enthusiasm seemed to be lacking
I'll note that Windy was held back and Ross was engaged, Byrnes pulled up sore from last week and his face told the story.
Phillipou does more than his stats indicate but he is a kid who has already eaten all the work thrown at him and proven to be elite, his draft camp was impressive and has been working more recently from a growth spurt, a la Owens, so they grew from a solid runni g base. Caminiti has junior athletics background and NVM floats across the ground.
When the attention is turned towards holding the kids, they won't be able to hold back the men too. We saw the impact that can have last night.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 12:39pm Wouldn't it have been better for Max King if he was spelled and came out fresh instead of just playing him every game in 2021 and 2022

Playing as a key forward in Ratten’s chaotic “choose your own adventure” game plan will do that to a bloke …

Go you red, black & white warriors