Ross Lyon is a God

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon is a God

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 1:41pm It is patently obvious that the reincarnated Ross Lyon has adopted a totally, (radically even) approach to coaching in the AFL, which I expect he would have outlined to the Board before he won the job.

Lyon has retained his hallmark high pressure zone/team defence but added fast ball movement and swarming field positioning to deliver the ball into attack and score.

That the players have bought into this so quickly is astonishing, especially with so many experienced players unavailable, and was not even evident in the two practice matches...it could be argued that perhaps this was made easier by the fact that under previous coaches St Kilda's game plans were barely discernible!

In both the Fremantle and Footscray encounters the Saints game plan has left opposition coaches totally perplexed and when their players had the ball they were unable to escape the immense pressure applied by St Kilda.

Inevitably other coaches will try to unravel St Kilda's game day strategies, but I'm confident that if Plan A fails Lyon & Co will roll out plans B, C, D or E, depending on circumstances prevailing at the time.
That’s because GOOD coaches matter
Yes list is important but TOP coaches get their teams to buy in unequivocally
Dal said yesterday - that’s what Lyon is a master at
You give effort he backs you
You don’t - you don’t play
No surprise Brad Hill avg 1.8 tackles a game last 3 seasons with us
This year he averages 4
That’s the difference a good coach makes
I can’t believe it took so many on here that long..
Anyhoo it’s not about this year ….get excited for 2-4
Top 4 …

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:40pm
evertonfc wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 7:03pm Ross Lyon is one of the most important figures in the history of St Kilda.

He may not win us a second flag, or he might win us our next three.

Either way, he is a sensational coach, and I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of our football club as we celebrate our 150th anniversary.
Hear bloody hear
And for some to suggest he’s not a good person when they have never met the bloke says a whole lot more about them
Either way he’s at our club and I’m super glad
No, I have never met him and am just going on what people who know him say. If you are not careful I might print some of those comments. All I'm concerned about at the moment is that the guy can coach.

We are lucky to have him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Early crow

Correct me if I’m wrong

Didn’t Ratten win 8 games before the bye round?

Ross is a good coach - better than Ratten

But will do FA with the current list and it’s injuries

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 5:20pm Early crow

Correct me if I’m wrong

Are you suggesting this list and its injuries might win 8 games before the bye? Wow. How many games did you rate the list with 3 weeks ago?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Everybody chases free agents. The free bit is the give away.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Most on here know my thoughts.

No....I haven't changed my mind and I'm not about to declare he's brilliant or a super coach...I just think this sort of messiah worshipping is crap and has always been crap

I believed back in 2009/2010 that our list build and our playing group deserved more credit than the senior coach for our GF appearances

I won't be engaging on why I still believe this because it's been done to death in countless threads over the years.

Ross's mates in the media had pumped him up to be the best coach in the AFL around the time of our back to back Grand Finals and again just after Freo lost to Hawthorn in 2013

This was despite Clarko having secured 2 Flags, Fishlips Bomber Thompson getting 2 cups with Geelong, plus Horse getting the Swans to back to back GF's and being a premiership winning coach.

Before he became St Kilda coach (for the second time) no one would would have been surprised if I started a thread with a title like:

"Ross Lyon is a Dog"

But anyhoo...I can't do that know (plus I want him to actually achieve success) and most importantly... I think it's irrelevant to make any references to his personality. I simply believe that the true test of whether he can claim any 'greatness' will be revealed in the next few years

As far as this year is concerned, we are like a young colt who has achieved a couple of provincial wins in group 4 and group 3 races and there are people here and in the media about to proclaim we have the new "Makybe Diva"

Freo and the Dogs have issues with scoring. They have had these issues for quite a while. We will learn when we play some of the higher scoring and more attacking coaches where we sit among the top teams

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:05pm Everybody chases free agents. The free bit is the give away.
I think he meant FA as in 'sweet FA'

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:37pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:05pm Everybody chases free agents. The free bit is the give away.
Oh, yes, I see that now. Thanks.

Sweet FA. He clearly hasn't seen the ladder or the media. But in reality that means FA, for sure

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:37pm
:wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

John Longmire has taken the Swans to the summit 4 times

Gf win in 2012. Gf runner up in 2014 (in the middle of Hawthorn's 3peat) and 2016 (Doggies got a dream run with umps) and also again in 2022.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 5:20pm Early crow

Correct me if I’m wrong

Once again forest for the trees…
It’s not about being 8-3 - I was saying last 8-3 we hadn’t played 4 quarters …..we now play 4 quarters …
Don’t quote the W/L as the great man says…that’s just feedback
Look with your eyes at the process
The side can defend
The side is far and away better at transitioning the ball
With 1/3rd of its list injured FFS
Ratten didn’t contend with that !

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I am so happy with what I have seen so far. There is one particular poster who will be hoping he fails so he can say I told you so but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Ross is going to take this side into the finals

As the season was rolls on You can revisit this and stick it up me if I’m wrong but I feel very safe.

Injuries will fast track our young depth. I have a good feeling about the present and future

Ignore the dickheads who sit on the fence and spruik negativity while big noting after the fact

RTB is the man

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ratten never had injuries

Hmm 🤔

Do some research… of course he did… and players missing important games for family reasons.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact he went at 50% or better with basically the current list

We beat Freo at Optus last season Dont forget

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:02pm I am so happy with what I have seen so far. There is one particular poster who will be hoping he fails so he can say I told you so but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Ross is going to take this side into the finals

As the season was rolls on You can revisit this and stick it up me if I’m wrong but I feel very safe.

Injuries will fast track our young depth. I have a good feeling about the present and future

Ignore the dickheads who sit on the fence and spruik negativity while big noting after the fact

RTB is the man
You are so feisty this season, so good to see the passion, I remember last year you threw ya toys out of the cot and threatened to stop supporting the Saints so just so happy for you to turn it around and get that passion back.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Lyon is a far better coach - and has better assistants- who are not getting enough credit

But players win games of footy - coaches are nothing without good ones

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:02pm I am so happy with what I have seen so far. There is one particular poster who will be hoping he fails so he can say I told you so but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Ross is going to take this side into the finals

RTB is the man
You are so feisty this season, so good to see the passion, I remember last year you threw ya toys out of the cot and threatened to stop supporting the Saints so just so happy for you to turn it around and get that passion back.
I think it gets back to what I was saying before about the ability to judge what is eventuating. Last year, I predicted, nothing but doom and gloom and what eventuated?
Unlike you I can see success on the way Get on board or stick with Collingwood

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I’ll never stop supporting the saints

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Ross is listening to the other coaches. Really listening. Brett ran the show and pretty well only gave lip service to the assistants. That’s the big difference. There will be ups and downs this year, but it’s going to be fun.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm I think Lyon is a far better coach - and has better assistants- who are not getting enough credit

Tonight, on 36o. Lyon gave credit to his assistants.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 9:06pm Ross is listening to the other coaches. Really listening. Brett ran the show and pretty well only gave lip service to the assistants. That’s the big difference. There will be ups and downs this year, but it’s going to be fun.
I’m having fun already 😊👍

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I wish he would stop referring to the Saints as "they."..We or us would sit better with me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 9:06pm Ross is listening to the other coaches. Really listening. Brett ran the show and pretty well only gave lip service to the assistants. That’s the big difference. There will be ups and downs this year, but it’s going to be fun.
I wonder if that’s the difference (or perhaps “A” difference).
I really rate Hayes and Enright, Harvey has serious cred and Goddard certainly has the work ethic and seemingly the smarts.

Version 1.0 always seemed autocratic… maybe his help wasn’t that great as I don’t think many of his assistants went on to great things.
Perhaps he actually is benefiting from having quality help whilst guiding them but still making the big decisions.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:50pm Ratten never had injuries

Hmm 🤔

Do some research… of course he did… and players missing important games for family reasons.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact he went at 50% or better with basically the current list

We beat Freo at Optus last season Dont forget
Ratten had 16 on the injury list 2 rounds in???
Try again
And stop doing lane W/L analysis
We are far far better drilled and anyone who knows anything bout footy can see it

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

A great coach evolves
We have a great coach

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm I think Lyon is a far better coach - and has better assistants- who are not getting enough credit

Yes yes we saw that with Brett when he allowed players to do their own pre season…
Structure and clarity from coaches, team selection and the right player to position match ups are all BS
I mean Battle should still be on a wing right??

“Yeah….nah””