Can anyone make sense of what we have become?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can anyone make sense of what we have become?

Otiman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 8:59am Clearly our list wasn't as s*** as everyone made it out to be. Also fitness and conditioning (injuries aside) must have had a good baseline for Ross & Co. to work with.

Belief is a huge motivator.
Everyone? There was only one goose on here running the side down.

damienc
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 9:52am I predicted something like this (although not 4 wins in a row) after watching our pre-season outing against the Bombers. Our backline - which we already knew was bloody good - looked even better with NWM in a key role: notwithstanding his tendency to make quite a few fumbles and misdirected kicks (which was evident again last night). Our midfield looked like it had its act together and our outside players were organised correctly: Wood and Hill were being played where they could do the most damage and Byrnes looked ok in his role.

So, as I posted at the time, I thought we looked like we could be a finals side if Lyon and his team could patch together a forward line which could score enough goals to win enough games to keep us in the running until King and Membrey came back. And they've done that: better than anyone could have expected. And Lyon has instilled a great deal of self-confidence into the entire team: probably more through his reputation and his own self-belief than through any major strategic changes (because these take time).

We need to remember that we were 8-3 at the break last year, with 7 of our remaining 11 games to be played at Marvel. We looked odds-on to make the finals, but somehow lost our mojo and sank out of contention. We had quite a talented list, but had no self-belief. We also consistently blew a lot of chances in front of goal, with King far and away the worst culprit. When he comes back, the coaching staff need to find a way of taking the pressure off him as the main target going forward. Lyon and Harves can hopefully do that (although an undue focus on kicking the ball to Riewoldt was one major flaw in the way we played under Lyon the first time around: hopefully Lyon can avoid a repetition).

One final point to consider before we get too excited: the Suns stank. They blew umpteen chances inside their forward 50. Their defence looked extremely fragile. And the much-vaunted Matt Rowell (to whom I must confess I have never paid much attention before) looked like a total plodder.

The Pies will be really tough next week, particularly because we won't have Steele. In order to up against the Pies' marauding attacks through the middle, Crouch and Ross will need to channel Michael Caine and Stanley Baker in Zulu. It's going to be tough, but we've really got nothing to lose.
Rowell was very good for them as was Anderson last night. We must have been watching different games of footy. Mine was at Marvel stadium.

damienc
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 9:52am I predicted something like this (although not 4 wins in a row) after watching our pre-season outing against the Bombers. Our backline - which we already knew was bloody good - looked even better with NWM in a key role: notwithstanding his tendency to make quite a few fumbles and misdirected kicks (which was evident again last night). Our midfield looked like it had its act together and our outside players were organised correctly: Wood and Hill were being played where they could do the most damage and Byrnes looked ok in his role.

So, as I posted at the time, I thought we looked like we could be a finals side if Lyon and his team could patch together a forward line which could score enough goals to win enough games to keep us in the running until King and Membrey came back. And they've done that: better than anyone could have expected. And Lyon has instilled a great deal of self-confidence into the entire team: probably more through his reputation and his own self-belief than through any major strategic changes (because these take time).

We need to remember that we were 8-3 at the break last year, with 7 of our remaining 11 games to be played at Marvel. We looked odds-on to make the finals, but somehow lost our mojo and sank out of contention. We had quite a talented list, but had no self-belief. We also consistently blew a lot of chances in front of goal, with King far and away the worst culprit. When he comes back, the coaching staff need to find a way of taking the pressure off him as the main target going forward. Lyon and Harves can hopefully do that (although an undue focus on kicking the ball to Riewoldt was one major flaw in the way we played under Lyon the first time around: hopefully Lyon can avoid a repetition).

One final point to consider before we get too excited: the Suns stank. They blew umpteen chances inside their forward 50. Their defence looked extremely fragile. And the much-vaunted Matt Rowell (to whom I must confess I have never paid much attention before) looked like a total plodder.

The Pies will be really tough next week, particularly because we won't have Steele. In order to up against the Pies' marauding attacks through the middle, Crouch and Ross will need to channel Michael Caine and Stanley Baker in Zulu. It's going to be tough, but we've really got nothing to lose.
Rowell was very good for them as was Anderson last night. We must have been watching different games of footy. Mine was at Marvel stadium.

Templar
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 1:49am We are playing very well and we are playing like a team. The pressure they are putting on opposition teams is elite but it’s a long season.

Last season, after round 1, we won the next five games to be 5-1 after round 6.
The point of difference is that in many games last year we tended to play one blistering quarter each match. We weren't a four full quarters of intensity team.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Anderson yes, but Rowell was beaten.

Interesting to see how we match up on Pies.

Windhager to Daicos?

Who gets Jamie Elliot?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:54pm Anderson yes, but Rowell was beaten.
Yes, that's how it looked to me too. And it's also how it looked on the stats sheet: which is an overrated indicator, but surely matters with in-and-under guys like Rowell.

He had 12 disposals, compared to Anderson's 38 and Miller's 31. He did lay 7 tackles, but Anderson laid 10 and Miller 8.

Surely a disappointing night, especially for someone who had been puffed up so much by the media in the week leading up to the game.

But apparently there was a game at Marvel Stadium last night that I didn't see in which Rowell was very good.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:36am

I think someone was dc, Rowell was putrid yesterday which was surprising because his previous weeks had been good. Credit to Windy if he was on him all game.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Is Rowell the new Nic Nat? All he has to do is fart and he’ll be in the team’s best?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 11:35pm Ok. So next week will be a real litmus test but seriously, where the hell has this come from?
Ok so I understand we have better coaches, better system etc but half the team in looking AA ATM. Was the list just not as bad as we thought it was?
Most folks had us bottom 6-4. We look Top 4 easy at this stage.
Long way to go, game at time etc but geez we look like a solid outfit and with plenty to come back in, I'm starting to think we may just be the real deal.
I'm keeping the lid on. Just having a sneak peek at what's underneath..
I think you have it in one - coaching & systems. Its that simple, people suggest that coaches have no major influence on teams, but absolutely they do. We have had a bit of luck finding Caminiti late, but he is playing his role and doing it well. I think we play a taxing game style, so we will have down weeks but the coaches are already managing players the best they can eg Marshall subbed out in last quarter.

Its scary to think what we would be capable of if we had a full list fit and firing.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:01am Everyone? There was only one goose on here running the side down.
Yes, everyone outside of this forum. The list was s*** but Ratts was doing the best with what he could. That was the media and neutral perspective. The talk was all about luring big name recruits. We are a special group of people.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Let’s settle
As Secretary of the RTB Fanboy Club (Firey is Prez) I just caution getting way ahead here…
Pros:
We have a game plan folks
A coach who instills integrity into selection
Players played in proper positions (**** me we nearly lost Battle to the wingman experiment..)
A standard - Brad Hill now actually tackles..amazing what’s strong expectations do
Kids - standing up and growing
Leaders …leading onfield

Cons
It’s a long injury list and a long year
I think we have got some sides a little underdone ….Dogs /Freo both looked off pace to me and GC poorly coached..Bombers were in form and challenged so good win
I still think we’ll miss the 8 and who cares it’s about the kids and building for a serious tilt next 2 years
As the boss says …”it’s an exploratory year…”

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:43am
Lennylegs wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 1:55am I can totally make sense of what's happening. We've been under sold and now we've got some people in charge who are bringing out our best.

This list is completely capable of doing things and we don't have anyone making excuses for us. I really do mean that last part. We're now a team who won't moan and complain about draft picks, lack of talent, McCartin before Petracca, blah blah blah

So glad we're back at a point as a football club where we're no longer willing to sit back and make excuses for ourselves.

Appreciate Vortex as a poster, but I reckon we all should be wary of those misery merchant Sainter supporters amongst us. There is absolutely every reason to believe.

We have no excuse not to be successful. We have everything at hand. Don't let the Vortexes of the world lead you otherwise. They're a huge reason why this club has been mostly left behind.

It's spelt recon FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:
Only by those uneducated posters who can't spell for s***. :wink: :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It is a long season and while I’m still extremely wary, I think expectations have now changed given the unearthed talent, Owens in particular.

Ross said he was very anxious before the game on Sat. It doesn’t sound like he’s a coach running experiments.

Not a prediction, but I’d be very disappointed if we couldn’t manage to win half our games from here which should see us making the 8.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Premium89
Club Player

flack wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 8:54am Collingwood on a neutral ground.
No Ruck
We've got their best coach (Buckley's words about Banger)
5-0
Another reason to look on the bright side - he’ll have the IP to help us there

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Harvey was at Hawthorn last year. While he may have a few good insights on different players, it’s a totally different set up under Craig McRae.

damienc
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 4:02pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:54pm Anderson yes, but Rowell was beaten.
Yes, that's how it looked to me too. And it's also how it looked on the stats sheet: which is an overrated indicator, but surely matters with in-and-under guys like Rowell.

He had 12 disposals, compared to Anderson's 38 and Miller's 31. He did lay 7 tackles, but Anderson laid 10 and Miller 8.

Surely a disappointing night, especially for someone who had been puffed up so much by the media in the week leading up to the game.

But apparently there was a game at Marvel Stadium last night that I didn't see in which Rowell was very good.
Well I was there. I thought Rowell, Anderson, Miller, the kid in the ruck and number 7 were the Suns best.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 8:27pm It is a long season and while I’m still extremely wary, I think expectations have now changed given the unearthed talent, Owens in particular.

Ross said he was very anxious before the game on Sat. It doesn’t sound like he’s a coach running experiments.

Not a prediction, but I’d be very disappointed if we couldn’t manage to win half our games from here which should see us making the 8.
Ross said he’s nervous before most afl games cause it’s afl
He’s on record several times saying this year is an exploratory year
He knows exactly where this list isn’t at yet

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Don’t be surprised if we don’t make the 8

I doubt we will

But all we need is buy in and growth from players u25

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:03am Don’t be surprised if we don’t make the 8

I doubt we will

But all we need is buy in and growth from players u25
I expect NOT to make the 8
Doesn’t matter this year frankly
What we are finding out for future is far more important
2-3 more classy draft picks please…

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I expect to make the 8

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Torn

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It will always be 1964 for some people.

:)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:12am I expect to make the 8
Let's say we make top 8 this year...

Obviously the expectation is that we should go 1 better and make top 4 in the next two years afterwards right?

Hopefully Ross doesn't make the same mistakes again. Do not import the next Brett Peake or Dean Polo.

And...please, please please no 30 year olds... no matter how good they MAY have been with their former club

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:15amTorn
hey...... plagiarism :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 1:04am
The Fireman wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:12am I expect to make the 8
Let's say we make top 8 this year...

Obviously the expectation is that we should go 1 better and make top 4 in the next two years afterwards right?

Hopefully Ross doesn't make the same mistakes again. Do not import the next Brett Peake or Dean Polo.

And...please, please please no 30 year olds... no matter how good they MAY have been with their former club
well the sample size tells me we will make the 8 proving that a lot of great decisions were made .

there is no doubt we have been lucky in the draft and picked up some ripper talent and maybe the injuries were also in our favor, fast tracking the kids. (just putting that out there)

some of us detected the talent and the decision on RTB to be inspired earlier than a couple, but that's ok we are all on the good ship lollipop. :D

some of us were even labeled fanboys :)

RTB fanboy.