Bytel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bytel

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Apr 2023 11:58pm BTW
On Gresham

That’s a childish rant
Gresham
7 possessions
2 kicks
4 turnovers

Midfield/forward

Yep…childish..

“Yeah….nah””
realdeal
Club Player

Gresh turns 26 this year, he's the same player now that he was when he came in the league. Same poor kicking technique and disposal, iffy decision making, knack of kicking a nice goal.

At this stage i wont mind if a club comes to him with a decent contract and we take the compensation.

I just get the feeling we'll be having this same conversation when Gresh is 30yo and we've missed his trade window ala Billings..

realdeal
Club Player

And yeah, Bytel probably got subbed on too late, id like him to get more game time in coming weeks.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Bytel is a reasonable quality in -and-under midfielder, but a fair way behind Crouch and Ross. Next week, if he's truly ready, Steele will presumably come back in for Windy, who had one of his weaker games and will presumably go back to being sub. So no room for Bytel in the team and he will be playing for Sandy: much to the annoyance of many posters on here and BF.

Dream on that Lyon is going to muck up his structure by replacing Gresham, Caminiti or even Cordy or Byrnes with a player like Bytel. If you want a coach who might try something like that, then you need to call for Richo to come back.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Steele will replace someone. Maybe Gresham.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 10:49am Steele will replace someone. Maybe Gresham.
I guess that would be conceivable for one game, as a way of sending Gresham a message: although this will be a rather risky approach in dealing with a free agent who seems to be seriously considering his options. And what do we want Gresham to do about the way he plays? He tries fancy stuff, and it quite often doesn't come off, but when it does it usually means a certain goal, sometimes against the run of play. Nobody seems to be suggesting that he isn't trying hard enough, so that's not the solution. He seems to me to be the sort of player we need in big games: if h'ed had a good one last night, we'd surely have won.

Windy, on the other hand, has had a couple of meh games: he didn't seem to do much wrong, but his output was pretty low. I would have thought that he would make way for Steele. If we were going to drop Gresham for anyone, it would be for Billings or Jones (if either are fit). Both those players bring something in attack which would different to what Gresham does but potentially equally useful.

I still can't see any room for Bytel in the top 22 as long as Steele, Ross, Clark and Crouch are all fit.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see any problems in dropping Windy for Bytel at all - Windy has had a few ok games nothing stellar…
Steele is the obvious replacement
Think with losing Caminiti and a rusty Membrey in we’ll need to keep Greshans so called goal scoring ability but the ice is wafer thin…

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Gresham has had a great start to the season, but was beaten last night.
He gets marked very hard on here.
No way will he get dropped

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We will see if Peris replaces Gresham next week?

I’d bet my house he does not!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Daicos played HB right??

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We kicked 3.6 in the last

They had 6.10 at 3qtr time

Could’ve been over

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Windhager
4 sub
2 goals

Gresham
5 goals

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but bad kicking is bad football. Both sides equally guilty. The filth are definitely not a four goal better side. IMHFO, that is.

Killa
Club Player

3.6 to 4.0 in the last

When our accuracy on goal advantage which had kept us in the game reversed

Mind you, from media coverage, if our full strength side could not get over an injury riddled opposition what future is there for us?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Both teams had good players missing

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 1:35pm We kicked 3.6 in the last

They had 6.10 at 3qtr time

Could’ve been over
What does that tell you BM. Collingwood arent as good as they thought they were, or we aren't very good?

Not sure which team you are critiquing. They had 20% more entries and puffed themselves out trying to over run us, they were lucky we didn't kick 7 goals in the last after they kicked 3 in the first 10 mins of the last.

Like I said, if we stole that game elsewhere, the stats would confirm we were fitter, faster and more effective, when it counted.

The only conclusion you can draw from this result is that Collingwood never totally controlled the game at any point and if they did in the last, they gave it up with 1 scoring shot to 9 in the last 20 minutes of the game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood controlled the game from late in the second to 10m into the last.

Ross said as much

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gresham has been quite poor to start the year. You look at his possession tally on paper and its ok, but so many of them are ineffective, or are burnt golden opportunities.

I was a big fan of getting him back in the forward line, but he's just not delivering.

If he continues on at this pace I don't think he's worth what he'll be asking for to stay at St Kilda.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 2:43pm Collingwood controlled the game from late in the second to 10m into the last.

Ross said as much
Ross essentially said he let them. He also said it will be fixed next time.

Because they were just playing ping pong and pissing into the wind with 50 entries that did nothing but fuel our rebound.
After they got 3 in a row in the last, we missed 4 in a row and they got 1 cheap, low percentage shot at a goal from the boundary and thought they had sealed the game.
They were spent. We walked all over them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 3:15pm
So judging by your last couple of sentences we were the victors, but they go home with the 4 points :shock: :?

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the game. Gunna do that now...

Came to the forum to see if there's injuries or news from yesterday's match and I was especially interested to see how Jack Bytel went.

I think he's progressing and the fact that the selection committee were confident in making him the sub, gives me hope that they realise he'll be an important cog in our midfield for many years to come

Jack had a really good preseason and he was raring to go for Round 1. He played his role well in the victory against Freo. It was just unfortunate that he got the infection in the cut to his knee

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 4:19pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 3:15pm
So judging by your last couple of sentences we were the victors, but they go home with the 4 points :shock: :?

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the game. Gunna do that now...

Came to the forum to see if there's injuries or news from yesterday's match and I was especially interested to see how Jack Bytel went.

I think he's progressing and the fact that the selection committee were confident in making him the sub, gives me hope that they realise he'll be an important cog in our midfield for many years to come

Jack had a really good preseason and he was raring to go for Round 1. He played his role well in the victory against Freo. It was just unfortunate that he got the infection in the cut to his knee
As my friend would say, we always play to win but we are currently in survival mode, due to our 'injury crisis'.

Collingwood tried to put its foot on our throat and stand off while we yielded. We didn't win but we didn't yield. At this point of our compared lists, I'll take fitter and not being intimidated along with winning the stats count on everything bar a 20% deficit on inside 50's, with only one less scoring shot as a win.

It's far from the capitulation everyone was fearing and there are obvious solutions we can work on without giving up our game plan to match theirs.

Every other team learnt, St.Kilda are no longer easy beats.