Team for tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team for tomorrow

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 10:57pm Brad Hill has recently said one of the great things this year is that there is selection integrity.
So he wanted to drop himself 2 years ago but Ratten and Lethlean talked him out of it...did they?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I mean.. what is selection integrity? Is there a formula? Is it the same for each player?

Meantime you get a guy who played and contributed to a win in Round one and because of injury he is replaced. He returns from injury with a dominant display at VFL level, then is made sub for a couple of weeks in a row and is then dropped from the seniors...dominates again in the magoos with 40 disposals..BUT ...

Possibly doesn't get another look in....and Brad Hill says we have 'selection integrity'

Selection integrity can be explained and excuses made for certain players... And you can make up the rules as you go along. Simple

I think one of the great things I want to see is our coaches not playing favourites with ANY player. I hope we don't go back to the 2009 era where there's a divide between the so called 'first 22' and some of the other players.

I also hope that our senior players are mature enough to understand that they are servants of the St Kilda football club. They aren't employed to benefit just themselves

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Playing his role?

Like Rob Eddy in a GF?

I’d love to know this ‘role’

Is not getting a kick a role now???

If his role is so important- why is he subbed out every game?

Is it not an important role???

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 11:00pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 10:57pm Brad Hill has recently said one of the great things this year is that there is selection integrity.
So he wanted to drop himself 2 years ago but Ratten and Lethlean talked him out of it...did they?
Well it's hard to argue with Management.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No Hayes. No King. No Caminiti

Campbell is too one dimensional, so obviously Cordy is like insurance for Ross and the team

He can relieve Marshall and he can take the role of KP forward or KP defender if we have injuries or if one of our guys is having a stinker

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 11:28pm
That's right... players do what they're told...and they're usually told what to think

So if current management tell you that we have selection integrity, then you can't argue with that can you?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

One dimensional is better than offering FA

Sorry to be hard on Cordy, but I’m calling a spade a spade

I reckon if Ross Lyon took a s*** in a saints supports living room they’d think it was gold… and literally polish a turd!!!

Just because Ross is picking him, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right thing. I understand he wants a tall forward - and Cordy is last man standing

Me, I’d have gone Campbell/Marshall combo
Or Sharman (and I don’t rate him that highly either) and used Owens to pinch - can the boy handle it - watch his contest work!

Cordy was pathetic during pre season - embarrassingly out of shape and coming last in 250m sprints by 50m - in the 2nd group might I add - Windhager and Hill would have got him by 80!

He’s been bog average since n all bar 1 game - where he was serviceable.

Again, hate to be harsh… but in 2 years … when criticism is allowed you’ll be agreeing… he is very ordinary!

Give me Campbell in the Ruck
Marshall forward/ruck

outside66
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023 12:22am One dimensional is better than offering FA

I reckon if Ross Lyon took a s*** in a saints supports living room they’d think it was gold… and literally polish a turd!!!

Just because Ross is picking him, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right thing. I understand he wants a tall forward - and Cordy is last man standing

Or Sharman (and I don’t rate him that highly either) and used Owens to pinch - can the boy handle it - watch his contest work!

Cordy was pathetic during pre season - embarrassingly out of shape and coming last in 250m sprints by 50m - in the 2nd group might I add - Windhager and Hill would have got him by 80!

Again, hate to be harsh… but in 2 years … when criticism is allowed you’ll be agreeing… he is very ordinary!

Marshall forward/ruck
Give it a spell mate. We get it. You don’t rate Cordy. The coaches do and we’re sitting on top so something must be working.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 11:03pm I mean.. what is selection integrity? Is there a formula? Is it the same for each player?

Meantime you get a guy who played and contributed to a win in Round one and because of injury he is replaced. He returns from injury with a dominant display at VFL level, then is made sub for a couple of weeks in a row and is then dropped from the seniors...dominates again in the magoos with 40 disposals..BUT ...

Possibly doesn't get another look in....and Brad Hill says we have 'selection integrity'

Selection integrity can be explained and excuses made for certain players... And you can make up the rules as you go along. Simple

I think one of the great things I want to see is our coaches not playing favourites with ANY player. I hope we don't go back to the 2009 era where there's a divide between the so called 'first 22' and some of the other players.

I also hope that our senior players are mature enough to understand that they are servants of the St Kilda football club. They aren't employed to benefit just themselves
Still pushing the Bytel barrow Scolop? One of your favourites I guess.

If you are winning, and players are doing what you ask of them, pretty hard to make changes. NCWT is a strong argument. Cordy is near the edge, but Ross has mentioned him positively last 2 press conferences, so they are satisfied with the role that he is playing. I'd prefer him to Campbell, who is probably really only there in case Marshall get injured.

Don't worry, there will be injuries, if a mid goes down, Windy or Jack will be in, probably Windy. Jack just needs to keep banging on the door, and staying fit.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

It would be interesting to hear how Ross justifies Cordys selection if challenged by a journalist.
Right now he can point to our ladder position and that seems to work.
But if we get done by Port and Cordy has had 3 touches again, it becomes very hard to justify.
I can't really see what he does apart from offer a big body up there and tries to bring the ball to ground.
Maybe that is all Ross wants from him, and it brings our small forwards into the game?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 11:35pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 11:28pm
That's right... players do what they're told...and they're usually told what to think

So if current management tell you that we have selection integrity, then you can't argue with that can you?
Lighten up.
Mate, its ok to be relentlessly argumentative and negative, all Sainters carry scars and react differently
but your suggestion our players are mindless is patronising rubbish. You can't honestly believe that.
Our game plans require analytical thought, understanding and buy in by those executing.
Give an example of an out of form player that is being gifted games this year. 5-1, right?
And try to appreciate Brad's skills/intelligence.
He is again playing terrific footy. If he says the greatly improved environment is a factor, that he is enjoying himself and there is selection integrity where in recent years there was not I am certainly not going to second guess him.
You can knock yourself out. But why.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Any player outside of the 22 will feel hard done by and likely bemoan selection integrity. These players will be targets for other clubs if they are genuinely hard done by. I think Liam Stocker would not speak highly of Carlton's selection integrity.
This will be a fine juggling act at season's end trying to sort out who we can afford to lose or is surplus or offers a trade up.
I am a Bytel fan and hope he can hang in there as he is the standby for either of Steele, Crouch or Ross. To be honest, possibly just Steele or Crouch as Ross can play other roles when needed.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I hope we hang on to Bytel.
Up against Ross, Crouch and Steele for that ball winning mid position and they have been remarkably resilient.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 10:06pm
Rubyjo wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:59pm
Moods wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:15pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:09pm
B.M wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 8:47pm There is someone I’d get rid of straight up

We’ll have to wait for 3qtr time again I suppose?
Who would you put in in his place?
He wants Owens as our backup ruckman. And then bring in Billings etc. I say Owens isn’t trained as a ruckman and I don’t want him slaughtered as an undersized kid ( albeit with the aggression of a seasoned player) who is pinch hitting brilliantly in the last quarter but not thrown in during the 1st quarter
So BM wants cordy dropped ...The coach doesn't..who is right ..after watching the replay with eyes on Cordy ..he is playing his role . BM can coach the saints if he likes but from his mom's basement.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What I don't understand is, why someone who alleges they are quite smart, doesn't know how to press the quote button.
There's a quote button?

older saint
SS Life Member

outside66 wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023 8:56am

Marshall forward/ruck
Give it a spell mate. We get it. You don’t rate Cordy. The coaches do and we’re sitting on top so something must be working.
Agree, multi positional player who is doing non stat based work - i will go with that than a stat padder.

Campbell is a ruck, Marshall is playing as well as he has for years. Just because a ruck is tall doesn't mean they can play forward, patterns, blocking etc is a skill within it self.
Cordy was important in 3rd qtr last week when game turned and also v WB.
We all have our whipping boys I guess

loris
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023 12:39pm

Marshall forward/ruck
Agree, multi positional player who is doing non stat based work - i will go with that than a stat padder.

Campbell is a ruck, Marshall is playing as well as he has for years. Just because a ruck is tall doesn't mean they can play forward, patterns, blocking etc is a skill within it self.
I have specifically watched 2 replays, concentrating closely on Cordy when the ball is in his vicinity. His blocking techniques are at times incredibly subtle. You hardly notice he’s doing it. He looks like he’s going for the ball, but mysteriously his big bum gets in the road or between one of our players (usually Higgins, Gresh & Butler) leaving a small avenue of space for them. It’s not obvious he’s blocking, he just seems to slow up his attack on the ball/play and he subtly gets in the way of an opposition player. Not obvious to draw a free at all. Or to even get a stat as a 1 %. Plus he crashes packs to bring the ball to the ground in central spots, near goals.

Until I solely focused on Cordy’s play in the replays, I thought ‘what the heck does he give to this team apart from one goal a game & the occasional crash of a pack’. I think the coaches might know more than us armchair experts?????

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023 3:42pm
older saint wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023 12:39pm

Marshall forward/ruck

I have specifically watched 2 replays, concentrating closely on Cordy when the ball is in his vicinity. His blocking techniques are at times incredibly subtle. You hardly notice he’s doing it. He looks like he’s going for the ball, but mysteriously his big bum gets in the road or between one of our players (usually Higgins, Gresh & Butler) leaving a small avenue of space for them. It’s not obvious he’s blocking, he just seems to slow up his attack on the ball/play and he subtly gets in the way of an opposition player. Not obvious to draw a free at all. Or to even get a stat as a 1 %. Plus he crashes packs to bring the ball to the ground in central spots, near goals.
Careful Loris,
that sort of analysis is getting awfully close to heresy around here.
You've been around here long enough to know you're not supposed to have an opinion opposing that of the 'self annointed experts'.

But in all seriousness, Cordy must be doing something the coaches like (or find acceptable) because his raw stats don't seem to reflect much of a contribution.

King Max
Club Player

Marshall forward/ruck
We’re not going back to back by resting on our laurels.

There’s always room for improvement.