Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

tas unites for state team

Hurricanes
Jack Jumpers
Tigers

Regardless of location

loris
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 5:19am

I think done right they'll fill it relatively often.

I for one will fly down for St Kilda games there and make a weekend of it. Suspect plenty of people will do likewise.

In any case- when was the last time we filled a stadium.
There is really a lot of ‘kettle calling the pot black’ in some of these posts about Tasmanians won’t go to matches & fill the new stadium 🏟️

I agree ‘nostalgicsaint’ when did the Saint’s fans turn out en masse and fill Docklands?

I’ve flown over from Perth many a time for matches at Docklands and have always been disappointed at the lack of Saint supporters in attendance. At times is pathetic the numbers that don’t turn up.
Saint supporters living in Melbourne suburbs should hang your heads in shame, with all the excuses you often use not to attend matches to support the Saints. I read it on SS all the time.
‘Oh the trains are not running this weekend & have to be offloaded on to buses to get to the stadium’, ‘Oh the corrupt AFL has put our game on at the graveyard time on a Sunday’, ‘Oh It’s not a family friendly time’, ‘Oh We can’t go on a Saturday afternoon match because it’s my kids sports’ etc, etc. moan, whine, whinge, moan.
‘We never get prime time spots like Friday night’. Hey you grizzling supporters, when you do get a Friday evening like the match last Friday against Port Power, what a pathetic crowd attendance for a Saints home match .
There were more Port Power supporters down their cheer squad end, than there were Saints cheer squad supporters.
Apart from shamefully booing a very good teenage player for Port Power, there wasn’t a lot of supporter noise from Saints fans echoing through the telly.

Even RTB in his pre game presser put out for a call for Saints fans to come out & make a noise supporting the Saints in our prime time spot on a Friday night.

I was amazed to read a post on here before the game from a rather vociferous RTB fanboy, stating he was sitting at home in the warmth watching the game on the telly because it was too cold & wet to go to the match - geezuz it is played under a closed roof.🤷🏽‍♀️. You poor possums.

So many Melbourne suburban Saint supporters, can’t point the finger at football followers in Tasmania, when they don’t make the effort to get away from their televisions or their computers at home & get off I would imagine are their fat derrières and attend matches themselves.

Oh and I’m pleased to hear RTB’s comments on the Saint supporters that engaged in the booing of the teenage Port player, RTB couldn’t understand why & didn’t have much respect for the booorish ones who did the booing.

Gee, I sound like I got out of bed on the wrong side today. However, there are some really lilly- livered supporters with all the excuses you come up with over years on not to attend matches & support our club.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 6:36pm tas unites for state team

Hurricanes
Jack Jumpers
Tigers

Regardless of location

BM, you may have stumbled upon some brilliance here...

The North / South thing could be leveraged very nicely if they call the thing, 'Tasmania United(' like Man U or Sheffield United. A classic name ..and very cool idea.

I hope they don't go for the corny American crap like, 'The Gold Coast Suns' or 'The Adelaide Cows' ...Just leave the THE out of it.

Call it Tasmania United, Tassie United.. Very cool..IMO, and very apt.

And then they can choose one of their animals for a name, like the Devils, or the David Boons.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yep too true Loris
I'm rapt Tassy have a side and yes..we have too many whingers on here..moaning and groaning about the weather, Govt spending, where we are playing blah blah

I have always lived Nth West Melb..travelled every game to moorabbin..then freakin Waverley and was rapt when I only had to travel to Docklands. 35 year member

we have some supporters now that will bitch about the smallest of things

I now live interstate and hardly get to a game (Foxtel) ..going the Roos game this week though :)

Was involved in the SOS campaign and even went to a special meeting with the Plympton board to argue the case for staying at Moorabbin ( naive ? ok yes )

love the Saints but some supporters really give me the s***s.. one or two on here..one in particular.

but hey.. I get it we are all diff. some more diff than others.

I will make a special trip to Tassy as soon as it opens and we play.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that my love for Saints transcended all boundaries .... how poetic :)
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 02 May 2023 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 7:19pm

Hurricanes
Jack Jumpers
Tigers

Regardless of location

The North / South thing could be leveraged very nicely if they call the thing, 'Tasmania United(' like Man U or Sheffield United. A classic name ..and very cool idea.

I hope they don't go for the corny American crap like, 'The Gold Coast Suns' or 'The Adelaide Cows' ...Just leave the THE out of it.

And then they can choose one of their animals for a name, like the Devils, or the David Boons.
Or the ‘Punter Pontings’, though we can’t support gambling can we, not a Saint thing.
Or maybe the ‘Tassie Flashing Paine’ :oops: :oops: 🤭

Rubyjo
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 7:19pm

Hurricanes
Jack Jumpers
Tigers

Regardless of location

What a load of crap ..there us no parochialism any more ....people have grown up and perceptions are just stereo types from a backward era ...

Killa
Club Player

Just to digress by focussing on a description by a contributor

Once upon a time those who arrived from the UK were described as “whinging Poms”

Well peruse our media (all forms of it)

“Whinging Australians” is their DNA

Find someone to complain and that is media - and do those they parade resonate with you and yours?

And yes, the attendances at St Kilda games is abysmal

Personally I do not enjoy watching on TV because you don’t have the opportunity to get the feel of the game, which includes interchange bench rotations and positioning and responsibility off the ball

And commentators do not assist!!!

St Kilda’s membership is as advised - but attendances are well short of that membership number noting that non members also attend games along with opposition supporters

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 7:27pm yep too true Loris
I'm rapt Tassy have a side and yes..we have too many whingers on here..moaning and groaning about the weather, Govt spending, where we are playing blah blah

I have always lived Nth West Melb..travelled every game to moorabbin..then freakin Waverley and was rapt when I only had to travel to Docklands. 35 year member

I now live interstate and hardly get to a game (Foxtel) ..going the Roos game this week though :)

Was involved in the SOS campaign and even went to a special meeting with the Plympton board to argue the case for staying at Moorabbin ( naive ? ok yes )

love the Saints but some supporters really give me the s***s.. one or two on here..one in particular.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that my love for Saints transcended all boundaries .... how poetic :)
So you are from the Western Suburbs...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Forget all the bulls*** and rubbish sprouted about the Tassie' bid. They have always deserved to have a team. They are a true footy state unlike Qld and NSW.

Whether or not it is successful remains to be seen.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:35pm

I suppose demographics are important to a certain degree ... but I'm certain there weren't any PhD's handed out for d**khead in that part of town ... ;)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:49pm

I suppose demographics are important to a certain degree ... but I'm certain there weren't any PhD's handed out for d**khead in that part of town ... ;)
PhD is a three letter word so that's probably got a bit to do with it also.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:52pm

maybe but's it's plain to see what you majored in ;)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:57pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 8:52pm

maybe but's it's plain to see what you majored in ;)
majorsed...plural

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ooh the plot thickens.

but lets not do the multi quote thing..sorry peeps
as usual you can have the last word

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

thanks

asiu
Saintsational Legend

not a white elephant

reality

where do i buy my membership

they should get their sh1t together

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

c'aaaarn the double headers

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Epic.

2028.... or 1988 tassie time.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 5d55v.html

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Congrats Tassy

B.M
Saintsational Legend

F*** yeah!!!!

King Max
Club Player

They will get father son access to any Tasmanian who played 100 games in the AFL.

Does Jimmy Webster have any sons? I can’t think of anyone else :D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

If there's a curtain-raiser involving 2 Tassie teams, will it be billed as a 'Double-Header' because Taswegians can be self-deprecating, or will they be a bit touchy 🤔😭

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I hope Warner Bros allow them to be called the Tasmanian Devils.
Actually if they were smart, they would become a major sponsor of them with that name as it would be great PR.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 6:23pm If there's a curtain-raiser involving 2 Tassie teams, will it be billed as a 'Double-Header' because Taswegians can be self-deprecating, or will they be a bit touchy 🤔😭
Now, that is funny. Brought a smile to my face. Of which I only have the one. :wink: :wink: