Winning the worst game of footbal in 20 years.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: Winning the worst game of footbal in 20 years.

Last week's effort was embarrassing but not heartbreaking, and we as Saints supporters fully understand both feelings very well.
Last edited by SaintWiki on Tue 09 May 2023 9:38am, edited 2 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 9:06am
Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 5:56am
takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:42pm Ben does lack peripheral vision at times. Maybe Crouch didn't call, assuming Ben would see him.

Are you going to accuse every player who has a collision accident from any team that they lack peripheral vision?

Anyway...where is your evidence that he lacks peripheral vision?

You are making stuff up. Ben is an AFL footballer who plays in the big league. His peripheral vision is just fine.

I've outlined what happened, but better still, I'll give everyone a time line to decide for themselves.

Go to afl.com.au for the replay and go to 35.37 into the full replay and you'll clearly see after Liam Stocker takes the mark that Crouch is next to Cunnington. Ben is on his own and he's waving at Liam and catches Liam's eye. At 35.41 pause it and look at the flight of the football.

Is it going to Crouch who has left Cunnington to kick chase, or is it going straight in the direction of Paton?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/921973/mat ... MATCH:4856
Thanks for that. Definitely intended for Crouch, leading towards the ball. Funny but Curly saw it the same way, and even posted similar comments re Ben's spacial awareness.

Must be your curved TV set. If Crouch had been Bytel in that incident, would that change your mind?
You’re credibility has just gone lower than it already was

takeaway thinks he’s onto something because Curly saw it the same way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can’t be impartial why the hell do you bother even posting. Whether it was Dougs and Callum or Jack Steele and Seb or Bytel and Paton just look at things objectively as player A and player B. It wouldn’t matter who it was takeaway.

He wasn’t leading. Get some assistance if you don’t know how to use technology I would suggest... He was kick chasing

Anyway…if you want to call it that way, that’s ok. I’m not going to try and sway a stubborn mule. I was asking others - NOT YOU- to look at the vision and pause 35.37 (and look at who Liam sees) and then pause again at 35 minutes and 41 seconds to confirm who Stocker is kicking it towards. Simple

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

For this particular game against North, Brad didn’t line up in the centre at the first bounce. Was he injured? Of course not

Was he down on form the last few weeks. Of course yes!

Crouch was still present around the ground but he was totally ineffective in tight. Crouch only had 3 clearances for the whole day. Tim Membrey had 3 for the match as well and he’s not even a mid!!

Ross preferred Gresh and Clark and Jack Steele at centre bounces and Clark and Owens and Pou and Sinclair were in tight way more than I’ve seen them in previous matches.

Crouch’s contested possessions were way down too. So what was his role. He was getting a fair bit of footy as an outside mid. He was probably thinking he better get 20 or more possessions if Ross the Boss was going to play him regularly in that sort of role.

Look, I understand that it must be hard for a senior player to be told by the coach that you’re going to be used in a ‘different role’. Brad understands that it means the evolution of the team could mean he goes the way of his brother at Adelaide

Maybe that’s why he was kick chasing.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 9:21am
takeaway wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 9:06am
Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 5:56am
takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:42pm Ben does lack peripheral vision at times. Maybe Crouch didn't call, assuming Ben would see him.

Are you going to accuse every player who has a collision accident from any team that they lack peripheral vision?

Anyway...where is your evidence that he lacks peripheral vision?

You are making stuff up. Ben is an AFL footballer who plays in the big league. His peripheral vision is just fine.

I've outlined what happened, but better still, I'll give everyone a time line to decide for themselves.

Go to afl.com.au for the replay and go to 35.37 into the full replay and you'll clearly see after Liam Stocker takes the mark that Crouch is next to Cunnington. Ben is on his own and he's waving at Liam and catches Liam's eye. At 35.41 pause it and look at the flight of the football.

Is it going to Crouch who has left Cunnington to kick chase, or is it going straight in the direction of Paton?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/921973/mat ... MATCH:4856
Thanks for that. Definitely intended for Crouch, leading towards the ball. Funny but Curly saw it the same way, and even posted similar comments re Ben's spacial awareness.

Must be your curved TV set. If Crouch had been Bytel in that incident, would that change your mind?
You’re credibility has just gone lower than it already was

takeaway thinks he’s onto something because Curly saw it the same way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can’t be impartial why the hell do you bother even posting. Whether it was Dougs and Callum or Jack Steele and Seb or Bytel and Paton just look at things objectively as player A and player B. It wouldn’t matter who it was takeaway.

He wasn’t leading. Get some assistance if you don’t know how to use technology I would suggest... He was kick chasing

Anyway…if you want to call it that way, that’s ok. I’m not going to try and sway a stubborn mule. I was asking others - NOT YOU- to look at the vision and pause 35.37 (and look at who Liam sees) and then pause again at 35 minutes and 41 seconds to confirm who Stocker is kicking it towards. Simple
Good on you, Scolops. Crouch, simple chest mark, Paton, mark over the head not aware what was coming. Crouch chasing kicks? What was Paton doing then? You are entertaining if nothing else Scolops.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don’t try and change the conversation. This isn’t an argument about what unfolded. I wasn’t asking whether Stocker kicked it perfectly was I?

I was asking who Liam saw making space and who was demanding the footy. Who did Liam intend to target with his kick? Simple….

Q. When Stocker marks and is looking around to see who’s leading, where is Brad Crouch at 35 minutes and 37 seconds into the vision?

A. He’s next to Ben Cunnington. Remember we are in their forward half. We are primarily in defensive mode. Crouch only starts going for the football AFTER the ball is in flight

But hey…Good on you for being stubborn and sticking to your guns in the face of all the evidence.
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 09 May 2023 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 10:14am Don’t try and change the conversation. This isn’t an argument about what unfolded. I wasn’t asking whether Stocker kicked it perfectly was I?

I was asking who Liam saw making space and who was demanding the footy. Who did Liam intend to target with his kick? Simple….

Answer 1 question. When Stocker marks and is looking around to see who’s leading, where is Brad Crouch at 35 minutes and 37 seconds into the vision?

But hey…Good on you for being stubborn and sticking to your guns in the face of all the evidence.
Both players clearly had eyes for the ball. That's what I saw.

Crouch is the least of our troubles, changes were made to try other players out, it was North, after all, and there was never anyway they would out score us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 10:30am
Should Higgins go for every high football in the forward line? Can he just use the excuse that he had eyes on the ball? Can a player run as fast as he can and contest against his team mate?

When the footy left Stockers boot, who was it intended for?

If the players aren’t going to be 100% committed to the team then what’s the point? If a player is NOT thinking about chasing possessions then these sort of things will be avoided.

As the senior player and as the bloke who has time to assess, Crouch should have backed off and not contested against his own team mate

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 2:06pm It struck me that North managed to bring St Kilda down to their level, which may well have been Clarkson's strategy, in order to minimise scoring.

As excruciating as this was to watch, a 5 goal win is a good result when you take into account that they played poorly.

By far the team's worst performance this year but there is no reason to think they won't find much better form against Adelaide next Sunday.
This!
North were going to respond to last week's effort.
They set about damage minimisation. Trouble is that they couldn't score.

If we'd have kicked straighter, we'd have a minimum ten goal win.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 10:33am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 10:30am
Should Higgins go for every high football in the forward line? Can he just use the excuse that he had eyes on the ball? Can a player run as fast as he can and contest against his team mate?

When the footy left Stockers boot, who was it intended for?

If the players aren’t going to be 100% committed to the team then what’s the point? If a player is NOT thinking about chasing possessions then these sort of things will be avoided.

As the senior player and as the bloke who has time to assess, Crouch should have backed off and not contested against his own team mate
Keeping your eyes on the ball and taking one for the team, regardless of who's is running at you, is quite often about 100% commitment. Im not sure your dialogue is reasonable, it's a guess at most.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I’ve got an idea for you blokes

Just tell Ross next week not to bother watching any vision or reviewing any video replays. There’s nothing to be gained and you won’t uncover anything you didn’t already see when you were watching the game live

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 11:13am I’ve got an idea for you blokes

Just tell Ross next week not to bother watching any vision or reviewing any video replays. There’s nothing to be gained and you won’t uncover anything you didn’t already see when you were watching the game live
He won't be reacting to a random event that has some deeper hidden meaning, days after the game.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Everybody can just shout 'mine' next time.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 8:24am Round 22, 2016 against Richmond stands out to me as the worst game I've ever seen. It started off brilliantly with Paddy McCartin kicking two quick goals on Alex Rance before going off concussed. We ended up winning 7.13 55 to Richmond's 6.10 46. David Armitage gave away 8 free kicks amongst his 11 clangers. Big Jason Holmes drew with Shaun Hampson in the ruck with a total of 5 kicks between them. Membrey managed 7 direct turnovers which is quite impressive for a deep forward. Of the 13 goals kicked that day, only 5 were assisted by a teammate.

Paddy's brilliant first 15 minutes ended up being the difference.
Sorry to be pedantic but Paddy broke his collarbone in that match, he wasn’t concussed. He started the match really well.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richmond didn’t even make the 8 that year and were considered a running joke. Hard to believe what transpired over the next 4 years.

Not sure if it qualifies as a Black Swan event but it definitely had outlier characteristics.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t watch much footy then, but from what I’ve been led to believe, Tim Membrey was a very physical player then, more bustling Barry Hall like .

Do you concur?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 3:08pm Didn’t watch much footy then, but from what I’ve been led to believe, Tim Membrey was a very physical player then, more bustling Barry Hall like .

Do you concur?
No way no. Silly comparison.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Been to a few floggings where we were hopeless

But

It was the worst standard game where both teams were s*** I’ve ever been to, it was woeful!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 6:28pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 3:08pm Didn’t watch much footy then, but from what I’ve been led to believe, Tim Membrey was a very physical player then, more bustling Barry Hall like .

Do you concur?
Can you say anything about the way Tim Membrey plays these days as opposed to back then. (I mean about the way Tim played and how he plays now) ya know..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 7:37pm
saynta wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 6:28pm

Do you concur?
Can you say anything about the way Tim Membrey plays these days as opposed to back then. (I mean about the way Tim played and how he plays now) ya know..
Sorry mate, I don't do research for others. Maybe someone else will help you out.

Personally I don't see much change in the way Tim plays.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We got the ugly 4 points, it's a bit like bad sex and bad beer.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I grew up in an era where we hardly ever beat North.
To play badly and win easily is okay in my book.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not talking about win or loss

But the standard of footy - which was putrid

It was like watching VFL

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t know…
Good Friday was way more agonising

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why?

Because we lost? North were ok that game

145 point loss to Hawthorn was also bad, but they played alright

In this game it was 3.10 to 0.6 at HT In perfect conditions under the roof!

Worst standard game in my recent memory - supporters around me were laughing. On the commentary they asked if circus music should be playing!

Our decision making going i50 and fumbling i50 was ridiculous

North were as bad as I’ve seen since Fitzroy 96

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

didn't mind it. heck people go and watch aflw and don't complain, or even worse - A league.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "