Cooper Sharman ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cooper Sharman ...

Vortex,
Nobody was suggesting that Coops was a lock in the top 22 or that he would come in and kick 14 goals. Most just wanted to see the young kid who has shown some promise and earned an opportunity get a fair go.

Contrastingly, you’ve presented and maintained the view that Coops is so far off the base that he’s not even worthy of an opportunity to play as he wouldn’t be competitive at all… and you’ve repeatedly asserted that even Cordy’s fairly mediocre contribution was far in surpass of what Coops could bring to the table.

Now Coops got an opportunity and whilst not an apples to apples comparison, few would argue that even as a roaming mid-forward, he didn’t surpass even Cordy’s best game with us to date, and that he isn’t a better prospect moving forward.

No one is arguing that he is a lock now with many forumites suggesting that despite a promising first game in 2023, he may be squeezed out for King, Caminati etc

Surely after everything you’ve said about Coops being so far off the base, not even worth a go at the moment, odds on to be delisted etc…
Surely you could at least follow up with a… hey that was a good effort. He played better than I thought he could and is worth a fair go
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 10 May 2023 11:47am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret_Vortex is still standing by his "guarantees" of clubs folding due to COVID, lists being cut to 35 and the Suns winning a premiership because "no one else cares", so don't expect him to change his tune on Sharman any time soon.

He's a classic :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saints58
Club Player

Who I would you drop to put in Caminiti and King the ones I would drop are either Seb and Patton/Sharman did not have great games been a while now since they did ok.
I would drop them for king and caminiti I really thought caminiti presented well consistently in the early rounds Sharman I am not sure he has the body of work at sandy to be constant.
This would allow Owens to go to midfield and really play to his protentional and we could see how good he can really be.
Camaniti can pinch hit in the ruck as he did before suspended I really think this would free up Membery who would probably get the 2 defender and make him more dangerous.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 9:58am Secret_Vortex is still standing by his "guarantees" of clubs folding due to COVID, lists being cut to 35 and the Suns winning a premiership because "no one else cares", so don't expect him to change his tune on Sharman any time soon.

At least he uses the old chestnut caveat
“Happy to be proven wrong “

He must be a very happy Chappy 😊

So predictable 😊

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 10:54am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 9:58am Secret_Vortex is still standing by his "guarantees" of clubs folding due to COVID, lists being cut to 35 and the Suns winning a premiership because "no one else cares", so don't expect him to change his tune on Sharman any time soon.

So predictable 😊
Is there a market on predictions for player careers? If Sharman doesn't make it, Vortex will shout the bar.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 11:12am

So predictable 😊
Is there a market on predictions for player careers? If Sharman doesn't make it, Vortex will shout the bar.
Still thirsty from the last shout 😊

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm on record as not being a Sharman fan. His game on the weekend was ok. I think the numbers flattered him a little bit. It was an upgrade on his efforts last year. Pretty confident he wouldn't be listed in our best players in any media coverage. If Caminitti and King weren't available to return this week then absolutely he would and should be given another game. Selection will be interesting this week. Obviously he took a great mark, and he also butchered a few possessions (which most of the team appeared to do on Sunday as well)

My assessment is a pass mark. However I much prefer Caminitti and Owens with Membrey (who was very bad on Sunday) with King moving forward. Obviously we need to give Sharman a go and I would like to see him get further opportunities this year. I think he's fighting with Membrey for a spot. At this stage I prefer Membrey even though Sharman played better last week. I personally didn't think that Sharman did that much with his possessions, although it appears some on BF and here disagree.

repta
Club Player

was good early.
Seemto disappear for a while
then came back with a rush

I like him. Has more of a future than Cordy.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 11:46am I'm on record as not being a Sharman fan. His game on the weekend was ok. I think the numbers flattered him a little bit. It was an upgrade on his efforts last year. Pretty confident he wouldn't be listed in our best players in any media coverage. If Caminitti and King weren't available to return this week then absolutely he would and should be given another game. Selection will be interesting this week. Obviously he took a great mark, and he also butchered a few possessions (which most of the team appeared to do on Sunday as well)

My assessment is a pass mark. However I much prefer Caminitti and Owens with Membrey (who was very bad on Sunday) with King moving forward. Obviously we need to give Sharman a go and I would like to see him get further opportunities this year. I think he's fighting with Membrey for a spot. At this stage I prefer Membrey even though Sharman played better last week. I personally didn't think that Sharman did that much with his possessions, although it appears some on BF and here disagree.
I pretty much agree with all of this. Sharman played ok on Sunday, but it wasn't anything earth-shattering. The NM defence paid him little attention: his goal came about from there being a player on each of our other forwards, leaving a gap which he was able to run into. Ultimately, he is an ok third forward. Membrey is a better third forward, and - when his leap is working - is also capable of playing as second forward.

On Sunday, Membrey played poorly. It is likely that there won't be room for both Sharman and Membrey in the team for the coming Sunday. Which one do you drop? I would say Sharman unless, and it's a big unless, the club decides that Membrey needs to be delivered a kick up the bum. Otherwise, I reckon Membrey is potentially a far more dangerous player against a difficult opposition.

As long as we can continue to win the games we should be winning, team selection is going to become harder and harder going forward.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Its not often a player (Sharman) gets 18 disposals and is in trouble of holding their position in the side. The other who could have been in trouble won a Rising Star nomination. Membrey is the player who has been really struggling, but I doubt they drop him. So unless Gresham misses due to injury I think Sharman might be player to miss. He would be really stiff but thats what happens when teams begin to have decent depth.

Coming into the 2nd half of the year Sandringham might benefit from having a few Saints back and have a half decent side.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Of course Sharman isn’t the end, all and be all but for anyone to completely write him off, shows a real lack of football nous

I see something in the lad that shows real promise

And I will not be happy to be proven wrong 😉

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 9:49am

… and you’ve repeatedly asserted that even Cordy’s fairly mediocre contribution was far in surpass of what Coops could bring to the table.
Are you sure?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 11:12am

So predictable 😊
If Vortex told me it was going to rain cats and dogs, I still wouldn't pack an umbrella.

And if you were relying on him to shout the bar, you are going to go thirsty.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hey Vort ... did you see the contested speccy mark Sharman took ...... you know that player that you said was devoid of contested mark skills :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 5:27pm Hey Vort ... did you see the contested speccy mark Sharman took ...... you know that player that you said was devoid of contested mark skills :lol:
Yeah it was a ripper, if he keeps up his average of 3 games a season he should have quite the highlights real after he's delisted.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 8:24pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 5:27pm Hey Vort ... did you see the contested speccy mark Sharman took ...... you know that player that you said was devoid of contested mark skills :lol:
Yeah it was a ripper, if he keeps up his average of 3 games a season he should have quite the highlights real after he's delisted.
When are you going to put the money on the bar like you promised Vort?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 9:15pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 12:56am
Vortex wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 9:34pm So Sharman is now capable of playing in a premiership?

Maybe wait until he plays against an AFL side before going too early.
I’d have thought you’d at least have gone with a well done, you can only beat who you beat but he needs to keep improving… but not even the hint of a compliment. Poor form IMO.
My reference point for compliments will only be applied to a body of work that includes sustained performances against top 4 contenders.

Not an average performance in a team that looked like an ammo side struggling to beat a contender for the wooden spoon.

Still haven't seen anything that makes me think Sharman will be on the list in 2024 but will be happy to be proven wrong.

Reference points and sample sizes are important.
I’ve seen enough reference points and sample sizes of your posting to know you have NFI..

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 8:34pm
I'm so sorry HF, you missed out, open bar has been and gone.

Don't worry I shout whenever we win a flag

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 2:32pm

I don’t think you would shout if a shark bit you.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
axcellence
Club Player

Bold prediction time…

Won’t go out of the team now barring injury :wink:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Very stiff if he gets dropped this week
Deserves another game

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:01pm

If I though you were thirsty enough I'd buy you a beer, but I'm not even sure you are a drinker.

Cup of tea love?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:01pm

:lol: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think the forum as a whole is being a bit tough on Membrey, He was playing on a monster, and one who has sparked Saints interest.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Cooper's position going forward if he breaks into the side will be as a tall wingman, exactly how they have been developing him at VFL level. He is progressing well and I think we saw enough last week to see he has a future in that role.