Jordan Andonovski to debut this week.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jordan Andonovski to debut this week.

I wonder if Seb is a chance to miss. Had 2 bad weeks

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 9:55pm Windy maybe RTB’s new Luke Ball and could play in a premiership elsewhere
I hope not. Wonder what he doesn't see in him? Too slow on the spread? Surely if he keeps bashing down the door in the VFL he'll get a shot at it

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

LOL this place.

Assuming based on stats that the coaches are getting it wrong. Saying selection integrity is missing based on them not picking the side you would! Hysterical.

Love it if we could see the positive side.

Windy gets minutes to develop, pou continues an extended run of senior exposure. Bytel a chance at a full game. King in taking some pressure off the hammer.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 11:03pm
BadRossco wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 9:55pm Windy maybe RTB’s new Luke Ball and could play in a premiership elsewhere
I hope not. Wonder what he doesn't see in him? Too slow on the spread? Surely if he keeps bashing down the door in the VFL he'll get a shot at it
Given he was in the side at the start of the year I'd say he sees talent in him.

Not getting picked isn't the same as not being rated.

Fact is, he is behind a few others. No shame in that.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Are they picking the side to beat GWS this week? That's what I want to know.

Now Mr. Toby might waltz back into their side.

Do the Saints' brains trust have their eye on the ball?

At present, we are the sick man of the top 8.

We are vulnerable having lost 3 of the last 5. (which includes North)

Now young Windy could be learning how to be a mid-leader in the much lower-grade VFL, but could he also be doing a job on Toby?

We are not a football academy.

We want 4 points thank you.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

When Marcus joins the starting mids, I think we may see a passing of the guard.
So, rather than him being held back, others may be being held to account, with every opportunity, with what's left of this year, to make a case for a final contract. Which mids are coming out of contract?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 11:52pm When Marcus joins the starting mids, I think we may see a passing of the guard.
So, rather than him being held back, others may be being held to account, with every opportunity, with what's left of this year, to make a case for a final contract.
It’s certainly going to put some pressure on the incumbents if Windy keeps up his VFL form. Pressure for spots is always a good thing.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 11:52pm When Marcus joins the starting mids, I think we may see a passing of the guard.
So, rather than him being held back, others may be being held to account, with every opportunity, with what's left of this year, to make a case for a final contract. Which mids are coming out of contract?
Seb Ross’ contract is literally expiring at the end of the year and is now 30. Time to make way for Windy.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe that’s the plan.
Windy gets another full game at Sandy then unleashed as a full time mid against the Hawks.
He has had an interrupted year to date as the sub etc, so the extra game to get back to full match fitness.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Guess Steele injured, Billings still building match fitness, a couple of players have clauses in their contracts guaranteeing a number of games, would not be surprised if Windhager added if Steele drops out. A few must have been told perform or else, credit all used up?

lewdogs
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 9:51pm
lewdogs wrote: Thu 18 May 2023 9:25pm Judging from the VFL report it seems they want Windy to focus on the defensive side of his game.
Tony74 posted last week the opposite. That they wanted him to get more kicks, or words to that effect
If that's the case then that's great that he looks like he's doing what they've asked. GWS are a strong VFL side, hopefully he can back it up this week against some AFL mids.

I reckon it's generally a very good sign when you have blokes playing well in the reserves. Billings another that can't get a game.

Our ins this week are very strong.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Let’s hope you are right
I’d prefer to reward for effort
36 touches 3 goals?
Think that’s all that can be asked tbh
Hate to see him disheartened

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It seems that results in the early rounds has spooked the coach and they didn't want to 'mess' with a winning team

What we're seeing is boring, conservative, safe selections in the last month or so.

Going to be a few people upset with the club this week if we lose to GWS

Honeymoon will be over for Lyon

It's really difficult to take some of the information seriously in regards to 'selection integrity' and planning (wanting to make Windy play at VFL for his 'own' good) in light of the fact that both Windy and Bytel were selected to play in Round 1

Saints58
Club Player

It will be interesting as the Sandy side play GWS in Sydney before the main game.

So if Windy impresses there Infront of the coaches and doesn't get a gig he will be gone from the saints

Should we play all the emergency's in the VFL game and the sub as well we could play the sub for 1/2 games to give him some match practise then if he comes on he might make a instant impact.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 10:03am It seems that results in the early rounds has spooked the coach and they didn't want to 'mess' with a winning team

What we're seeing is boring, conservative, safe selections in the last month or so.

Going to be a few people upset with the club this week if we lose to GWS

Honeymoon will be over for Lyon

It's really difficult to take some of the information seriously in regards to 'selection integrity' and planning (wanting to make Windy play at VFL for his 'own' good) in light of the fact that both Windy and Bytel were selected to play in Round 1
I posted words to this effect affect in a few different threads.

The concerns I had with the Lyon appointment stemmed from some concerns hanging over from RTB V1.0 who as many pointed out, hadn’t coached us since 2011.

1. Overrating/over valuing the contribution of his role players.
This started with Cordy. He may have gotten a pass in rd1 though IMO that’s dubious but he had decent game v the dogs where we ran wild.
His contribution since then was very mediocre with the old chest nut of him doing his role yet somehow he still got 5 more games with a few one touchers there too.

Coops replace him with a decent game v North and a stinker last week but he still had 7 touches which is more than Cordy had in at least 3 games… but, at the end of the day, King + Caminati are back and take the spot in the team.

I’d have preferred to have seen a little more of Coops and less than Cordy… likewise, a few games more for Windy or Bytel ahead of the core established mids and/or Byrnes when they’ve been struggling.
But whilst it’s not my preference… will give RTB a pass on this for now as he’s mixed it up a little and we’ve seen Pou, Owens, Byrnes and Caminati have a decent run at it.

2. A preference for players that are hampered by injury or are down on fitness, are powering through them rather than rotate the strike so to speak.
- Steele came back early and seems effected
- Wood has stayed in with his shoulder and seems down
- Marshall seems to be becoming increasingly effected by his foot
- Membrey was back into the team really quick after a long lay off
- King seems to have come back quick

I don’t know… with Bytel and Windhager chomping at the bit to get a game, Campbell having quite decent games at Sandy… well I’d have just preferred to mix it up a bit. Especially with the mids, rest players here and there and give those raring to go full opportunity.

Alternatively… if a guy like Ross or Crouch is seriously down or struggling… let them play half a game as sub for a week.

This pattern or approach to selection hasn’t been crash hot IIMO and I reckon we’ve struggled a bit with how to use the sub effectively as well. I reckon if elite work rate/training is the goal… rest should be forthcoming when needed.

Jury is out in those regards but he’s still exceeded expectations so far as results go to. Watch this space I guess

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

At least half the league would kill to have our coaching team.

So much well written garbage in this thread.

Again selection integrity is nothing to do with what we think as fans. Only those at the club can speak to if it is present.

Windhager imo is no chance of leaving- even if he doesn't get another game this year. I have nothing to base that on but it is as grounded in as much logic as the posts in here saying he is losing interest, disheartened or leaving.

Also this narrative that RTB 1.0 was a bad thing??? In hindsight we should never of let him go!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 11:42pm
Also this narrative that RTB 1.0 was a bad thing??? In hindsight we should never of let him go!
Merely saying what I hope improves from last time

As far as selection integrity goes…
I think it’s just a balancing act. All coaches have the prerogative to back their judgment. If RTB wants to say back Seb Ross who has been down on form for a few weeks ahead of say Windhager or Bytel who are killing it in the 2s… that’s his call.

If he gets it right more often than not than fair play but ultimately he lives and dies by the results of that.
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 20 May 2023 12:10am, edited 2 times in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 9:22am Let’s hope you are right
36 touches 3 goals?
Agree. His not going to do those numbers again in a hurry, you would think, so, there is the dilemma. If he doesn't play as good as that again will he ever get back in?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lewdogs
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 12:08am
Teflon wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 9:22am Let’s hope you are right
36 touches 3 goals?
Agree. His not going to do those numbers again in a hurry, you would think, so, there is the dilemma. If he doesn't play as good as that again will he ever get back in?
Why wouldn't he get those numbers again in the VFL? If you want to be a gun AFL mid those are the numbers you should be getting every week in the VFL. If Crouch or Ross played VFL those are the numbers they'd get.

I don't really get the outcry over Windy, he played one good game that's awesome, let's see him gain some consistent form and when he comes in he'll tear it up. Is there an obvious player that should come out of the side for him?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think nostalgicsaint has nailed it, we claim lack of selection integrity when players we believe are our future are still in the VFL. I am not buying it for a couple of reasons...

This is a result orientated business and we know Ross is very much about the process, meaning the results take care of themselves - it seems Windy has been given a process to work on, which he is doing, by all reports. The same with Billings - their opportunities will come.

I also find it very hard to believe Lenny, the midfield coach, would not have a say about who he wants as part of his rotations. I find it very hard to question Lenny's integrity.
The midfield baton will be exchanged and Windy will get an opportunity, not be given one but will deserve one.

I hope the work in the VFL being put into Adams, Van Es and Heath begins to bare fruit as KPDs and a ruck are our glaring cliff tops.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think selection has been puzzling for a month

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 9:37am I think selection has been puzzling for a month
There haven't been many options though have there? The VFL side has been extremely light on. Our inclusions this week are very good, the VFL side will be the strongest it's been aswell and we'll start to see real selection pressure.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Relax people…I love Windy but he’s played 1 really good game in the two’s!
They want him to improve his running patterns..he’ll be back in when this occurs…be patient!!!