Predictions this Round

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Predictions this Round

First goal The Hammer
Most goals Higgo 3
Most touches Sinclair 28
Final Margin: us by 33

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Predictions this Round

Hawthorn 2 goalless quarters.
Still somehow ends up within 4 goal margin at the end.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

King to get a bag.
Butler, Higgins and Gresham all with multiple goals
Seb Ross BOG
Big win 60+ points

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 10:51am King to get a bag.
Seb Ross BOG
Big win 60+ points
Seb got 12 vs Giants, a big clap from RTB, and he'll get BOG 😆

I like your optimism

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
BadRossco
Club Player

Should win but no Owens so no walkover

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Higgo to kick 4 and maintain his hold on the Tony Lockett award.

Crouch to rack up 47 touches and advance his hold on the TB award.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 1:59pm Higgo to kick 4 and maintain his hold on the Tony Lockett award.

Crouch's coaches votes total is much less than Calves (aka The Mullet)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I wanna put $10 on a multi, but have no confidence
Any tips?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 2:38pm I wanna put $10 on a multi, but have no confidence
Any tips?
King 5+
Ross 30+
Saints 40+

Worth a shot?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 12:19pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 10:51am King to get a bag.
Seb Ross BOG
Big win 60+ points
Seb got 12 vs Giants, a big clap from RTB, and he'll get BOG 😆

I like your optimism
2 stinkers followed by a BOG is standard for Seb. Steele and Crouch will bog in and Seb will run free.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We're back to being RtBs 10 goal Saints.
So against an average team (atm) like the Hawks, we'll have 20 to 25 shots on goal. So if we've got our kicking boots on we'll get 15 odd goals .
We should be able to keep them under 10 .
So around a 30 point margin .
If we can really clamp down on them then a bigger win is on the cards , however with their big win last week (regardless of opponent) their confidence will be sky high .
So they could start well and kick a score , and as stated if they kick more than 10 and we don't have our kicking boots on then they are a chance to knock us off .

In red white and black from 73
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We are less than 2 goals a game behind top spot.

Our game is built on counterattack from defense, which isn't going to net you a high score.

It's very soccer-like. Give the opponent the possession % and hurt them on the rebound.

I'm OK with that, blowing away bottom 4 sides by 10 goals doesn't win you finals.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 2:36pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 1:59pm Higgo to kick 4 and maintain his hold on the Tony Lockett award.

How often do the B&F winners have the most coaches votes?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 8:14pm

Always.

By the time end of Round 23 comes along, you'll find the AFLCA most votes for a Saints player are aligned with the winner of the TBM

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 5:47am

Always.

By the time end of Round 23 comes along, you'll find the AFLCA most votes for a Saints player are aligned with the winner of the TBM
Interesting, and is that consistent for all clubs?

It would be interesting to study the data?

Have you got link?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 6:50am

Always.

Have you got link?
I only went by my knowledge of recent history. Jack Steele was top 5 in the AFLCA award in both years that he won our B&F (2020 and 2021). Sinclair didn’t feature in the top 20 but had an awesome season last year and earnt himself an All Australian blazer

In 2017 Seb Ross won his first B&F and also had an awesome year (finishing top 20 in the AFLCA awards) and also making the All Australian squad of 40.

I looked at how other players have gone in the AFLCA award like Seb Ross in 2019 and also Brad Coach who won Adelaide’s B&F in 2019. Both failed to make the top 20. Interestingly, Adelaide were not far off making the top 8 and finished the year with 10 wins.

Crouch played in all of Adelaide’s 10 wins in 2019, but failed to poll votes in the AFLCA award in several of those games that they won. He also missed out on selection in the AA squad of 40 in 2019

https://www.afl.com.au/news/98058/40-ma ... team-named

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/adelaide/allgames.html

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ch_gm.html

https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-af ... 1/20210123

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Crouch is certainly a ball magnet, but I don’t rate 30 or35 touches if it means you’re handing back the footy to your opponents a third of the time.

Most pundits here (and also the Saints official media team) were claiming Crouch would get a podium finish in the Trevor Barker Medal in 2022. He ended up finishing 6th and was nearly 7th or worse with Jade Gresham just finishing 2 points behind him (remember Gresh was out for a large chunk of games at the end of the year). Hill also finished equal 7th just 2 points behind Crouch.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1215999/ ... for-crouch

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1220879/ ... rker-award

I haven’t held back with criticism of Crouch in some games and there have been a few people that have come out and defended him without any critical analysis of his game in my opinion. They only look at raw statistics. They just don’t see what the coaches see.

Crouch sometimes has a tendency to play selfish footy. When a player makes a handball or a kick and it doesn’t assist any one but himself, that’s not a team player in my book. I’d rather he cop some bruises and hold the footy instead of releasing it and risking a turnover. Even if it risks a free kick getting awarded against him, at least the team will have a little time to set up our defence. His decision making is especially flawed when he tries to add to his kick tally.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 2:38pm I wanna put $10 on a multi, but have no confidence
Any tips?
Hawthorn are paying way overs in my opinion so I couldn’t resist. Got them in a multi with Melb, Geel and Dogs

Also went for 2 upsets for even more value. Haw, Freo, Geel and Dogs.

Hope we win and our entries inside 50 look better. I’d love to see us kick over 100 points.

Hope RoMa and our midfield click and hope we get our mojo back.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 9:17am Crouch is certainly a ball magnet, but I don’t rate 30 or35 touches if it means you’re handing back the footy to your opponents a third of the time.

Most pundits here (and also the Saints official media team) were claiming Crouch would get a podium finish in the Trevor Barker Medal in 2022. He ended up finishing 6th and was nearly 7th or worse with Jade Gresham just finishing 2 points behind him (remember Gresh was out for a large chunk of games at the end of the year). Hill also finished equal 7th just 2 points behind Crouch.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1215999/ ... for-crouch

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1220879/ ... rker-award

I haven’t held back with criticism of Crouch in some games and there have been a few people that have come out and defended him without any critical analysis of his game in my opinion. They only look at raw statistics. They just don’t see what the coaches see.

Crouch sometimes has a tendency to play selfish footy. When a player makes a handball or a kick and it doesn’t assist any one but himself, that’s not a team player in my book. I’d rather he cop some bruises and hold the footy instead of releasing it and risking a turnover. Even if it risks a free kick getting awarded against him, at least the team will have a little time to set up our defence. His decision making is especially flawed when he tries to add to his kick tally.
Keep on punching Scollop. If the coaches see what some posters don't why do they keep picking Crouch?

Haven't seen any unbiased "critical analysis" re Crouch. You can really only form a view on what you see (or don't see), and also look at stats.
It's difficult in the midfield heat to have a high disposal efficiency rate, you are just trying to scramble the ball out towards a teammate half the time. Show me an inside midfielder who doesn't give the "footy back to opponents a third of the time". (Or more correctly, disposal does not go to the advantage of a teammate). This year Crouch is at 66%. Cripps 65%, Oliver 67%, Petracca 69%, A.Brayshaw 68%, Dangerfield 66%, Wines 67%, all probably better players than Crouch. Haven't checked the Rolls Royce, Pendlebury, who is more on the outside this year, probably be higher. Neale is exceptional as well.

Anyway, who could possibly replace Crouch?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 12:10pm
If the coaches see what some posters don't why do they keep picking Crouch?

Anyway, who could possibly replace Crouch?
He’s fitter and more experienced. Bytel should have replaced him in round 7 or 8 when Crouch wasn’t contributing as much to the team and once in the senior side, I think Bytel needed equal opportunity to Crouch and a string of games. Both Bytel and Windhager were ready to step up into the seniors when Crouch was in his form slump

Rnd 6 Crouch was considerably down in form against Carlton but we won as a team so he was named again for round 7 against Port. In the Port game he was putrid with 45% disposal efficiency and lower numbers than his usual output. Guess what? He was still named for the game against North. How does that help the St Kilda team or Brad himself? I mean…here’s the thing…I don’t dislike Crouch…I just dislike match committee selections

Crouch is one of the players who contributed to the great start St Kilda enjoyed. Lyon was grateful and Brad has built trust with his coach. He produced some exceptional form at the start of the year and he banked credits with his coaches, however there is no hiding from his form slump. The notable thing is that St Kilda won 2 out of 3 during his form slump so I suppose that helped him retain his spot.

If St Kilda thinks that we are winning a premiership this year or next, then I can understand why you’d keep both Windy and Bytel in the magoos. Maybe Ross was telling us ‘it’s a year of experimentation’ but in the back of his mind (once we banked early wins) he’s keen to impress the Saints board, the sponsors, and the members and aim for finals. We know when it comes to a choice between a senior player and a talented younger player that he prefers to play the guy with more experience. Mattaes is an exceptional talent so that’s a different story.

I won’t bother putting up links to footywire and comparisons with some of the elite mids that you named. Perhaps Crouch matches them in some areas and perhaps his DE is similar, but that’s where the comparison ends.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 26 May 2023 2:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewdogs
Club Player

We've really had the wood on them the last few years. I can't remember the last time we lost to them, I'm guessing it would be 2019. Their supporters would be chomping at the bit to beat us as they are used to it.

Personally I'll take a win no matter what the margin. On their day they are a very competitive side. If we get on top early I can see a big win, but I'm thinking realistically a four goal win.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saints by 39+

Margin will change if Lewis & Breust light up their respective opponents.

King to kick 5.2, marks everything & kicks confidently. Brings the ball twirl back in fashion.

Phillipou takes mark of the round (year) over Sicily.

Caminiti puts Frost on the grass, legally (but will be looked at)

Gresham a standout in an audition for his bidders.

Paton does nothing to dispel the doubters but nothing to encourage more pitchforks so status quo.

Byrnes: see Paton.

Ross turns his back fully on the game during the 2nd Qtr & laughs with all in the coaching box.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 9:00am
Vortex wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 6:50am

Always.

Have you got link?
I only went by my knowledge of recent history. Jack Steele was top 5 in the AFLCA award in both years that he won our B&F (2020 and 2021). Sinclair didn’t feature in the top 20 but had an awesome season last year and earnt himself an All Australian blazer

In 2017 Seb Ross won his first B&F and also had an awesome year (finishing top 20 in the AFLCA awards) and also making the All Australian squad of 40.

I looked at how other players have gone in the AFLCA award like Seb Ross in 2019 and also Brad Coach who won Adelaide’s B&F in 2019. Both failed to make the top 20. Interestingly, Adelaide were not far off making the top 8 and finished the year with 10 wins.

Crouch played in all of Adelaide’s 10 wins in 2019, but failed to poll votes in the AFLCA award in several of those games that they won. He also missed out on selection in the AA squad of 40 in 2019

https://www.afl.com.au/news/98058/40-ma ... team-named

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/adelaide/allgames.html

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ch_gm.html

https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-af ... 1/20210123
So not always?

Crouch is clearly the leader of TB award.

Syncs is only getting going and Wilks is not playing as well as he was in the first 6 weeks where as Crouch is having a very consistent run of high performance.

Would probably e polling well in the Brownlow

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This thread is about 'predictions' so I predict Crouch will NOT poll well in the Brownlow

I also predict he won't be leading the Trevor Barker Medal at round 10

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 1:02am This thread is about 'predictions' so I predict Crouch will NOT poll well in the Brownlow

I also predict he won't be leading the Trevor Barker Medal at round 10
But how can you be sure if you have now verified for yourself that the coaches award is not a reliable measure of a B&F ?

Who do you predict is our top goal scorer? I picked Higgo at the start of the season.