SOD'S boy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SOD'S boy

I see that Simon O'Donnell's boy is getting a game at the dog's.
Sod's always been a great supporter of ours . I think his father also played for us . I know he didn't play enough games for a father son . But does anyone know if our club had any interest in his son ?

In red white and black from 73
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: SOD'S boy

SOD played for us - 24 games - 18 goals

He then went to Cricket

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kevin O'Donnell, Simon's father played 49 games for the Saints between 1946 and 1949 for 21 goals

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I didn't realise SODs dad played for the Saints. I got the impression that O'Donnell didn't care much for the Saints. Maybe he does given his old man

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 11:53am Kevin O'Donnell, Simon's father played 49 games for the Saints between 1946 and 1949 for 21 goals

Geez

1946 11th*
1947 Spoon
1948 Spoon
1949 11th*

* 12 team comp

I think the Saints won about ten games and one draw, for all those years in total!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Talking of family members - not the O’Donnell’s but the Owens.

I was watching (on-line) the VFL match, North versus Frankston.

Reason I was watching it, a friends grandson plays for Frankston. North ended up by slaughtering The Dolphins.

I watched about two & a half quarters of the match. Very few Dolphins players made much of an impression. There were only 2 who stood out for me. One was named Lambert the other was Owens. Owens is Mitchito’s brother. Very much like Mitch in looks, and a very tenacious player. A couple of times I saw him get the better of Cunnington, and once outsmarted Hall by selling him a bit of candy. Not a mean feat as Hall is a very skillful player. I think it was Hall’s first game back from injury, that’s why he was playing for North’s VFL team.

I think he is the oldest of the Owens’ siblings. I wonder if he is on the radar of AFL recruiters. He looked a likely lad.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 6:33pm I didn't realise SODs dad played for the Saints. I got the impression that O'Donnell didn't care much for the Saints. Maybe he does given his old man
SOD is a Saint through and through and had all the makings of an outstanding player for the Saints. Unfortunately he had all the makings of a champion international cricketer as well and a career choice had to be made. He chose wisely. Unfortunately cancer intervened and prevented him from becoming one of the all time greats.

Saint supporter since '62
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 9:24pm
magnifisaint wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 6:33pm I didn't realise SODs dad played for the Saints. I got the impression that O'Donnell didn't care much for the Saints. Maybe he does given his old man
SOD is a Saint through and through and had all the makings of an outstanding player for the Saints. Unfortunately he had all the makings of a champion international cricketer as well and a career choice had to be made. He chose wisely. Unfortunately cancer intervened and prevented him from becoming one of the all time greats.
SOD was interviewed on SEN on Friday

He said he was a sainter through and through UNTIL the moment his son was placed on doggies list

Yes he was a passionate saint but he is now well and truly a bulldog

saint4life
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

loris wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 8:31pm Talking of family members - not the O’Donnell’s but the Owens.

Reason I was watching it, a friends grandson plays for Frankston. North ended up by slaughtering The Dolphins.

I watched about two & a half quarters of the match. Very few Dolphins players made much of an impression. There were only 2 who stood out for me. One was named Lambert the other was Owens. Owens is Mitchito’s brother. Very much like Mitch in looks, and a very tenacious player. A couple of times I saw him get the better of Cunnington, and once outsmarted Hall by selling him a bit of candy. Not a mean feat as Hall is a very skillful player. I think it was Hall’s first game back from injury, that’s why he was playing for North’s VFL team.

I think he is the oldest of the Owens’ siblings. I wonder if he is on the radar of AFL recruiters. He looked a likely lad.
Lambert is the son of Craig "Sheep" Lambert former Dandy VFA, Tigers and Lion player.
Also held many coaching and development positions and young player welfare.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Young James O’Donnell was subbed out with an injury. Perhaps a shame we didn’t recruit him, given SOD and his old man Kevin were Sainters. Would be just our luck if James goes on to becoming a star haha

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saints58
Club Player

loris wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 8:31pm Talking of family members - not the O’Donnell’s but the Owens.

There was a Tomoya Owens for sandy he is about 198cm ex college basketball and Mitch Owens brother was ok nothing special but could be good in future keep a eye on him.
How long do we have to wait to get a saints team in the VFL I know it cost money but games would be played at RESA park and help our program greatly.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 4:43pm

There was a Tomoya Owens for sandy he is about 198cm ex college basketball and Mitch Owens brother was ok nothing special but could be good in future keep a eye on him.
How long do we have to wait to get a saints team in the VFL I know it cost money but games would be played at RESA park and help our program greatly.
I think the Owens brother playing at Sandy is the younger brother and the one playing for Frankston is the older brother. Although I might have this the wrong way around.

The one I saw playing for Frankston was rather impressive notwithstanding in a very poor team. Like his brother Mitch, his second & third efforts were great. He didn’t give up, not like many of his teammates.

loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 11:15pm

Lambert is the son of Craig "Sheep" Lambert former Dandy VFA, Tigers and Lion player.
Also held many coaching and development positions and young player welfare.
No wonder he stood out, a very good pedigree line he comes from. Craig Lambert was IMO an underrated player.

avid
Club Player

Who was the O'Donnell who played for us in the late '60s / early '70s -- high marking forward, no. 28?
White ankle bandages, took some great marks.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

John O’Donnell played 20/30 games he had a footy card one year!

PADDLEPOP1000
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 11:52am John O’Donnell played 20/30 games he had a footy card one year!
Interesting. His cousin is the reason I follow the Saints. Geez it's been hard! f*** you Adrian!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 9:24pm
“SOD makings of an outstanding player?”

Not quite my memories

Occasionally flashy bit of play but for the most part was missing in action

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Tue 23 May 2023 8:14pm
Saints58 wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 4:43pm

I think the Owens brother playing at Sandy is the younger brother and the one playing for Frankston is the older brother. Although I might have this the wrong way around.

The one I saw playing for Frankston was rather impressive notwithstanding in a very poor team. Like his brother Mitch, his second & third efforts were great. He didn’t give up, not like many of his teammates.
I notice that Kai Owens of Frankston has nominated for the mid season draft. He’s the older brother of Mitch.
Interesting to see if any team take him on.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I remember watching John O'Donnell play in 1968 (to the best of my recollection) against Hawthorn at Glenferrie oval and taking a few impressive marks. He had an excellent vertical leap and could take a good "speccie".
I think his career ended with some sort of leg injury? Can anyone else confirm this or elaborate on his career? I used to enjoy watching him fly for a mark.