Ross Lyon quote: "Our midfield is spluttering."

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon quote: "Our midfield is spluttering."

Well, it's not just the fans who see it. He's being very polite, but I think he'd be saying to his assistant coaches "gee, our midfield is pretty bloody ordinary (or even harsher words)"

No quick fix for this. Clark will be a helpful addition, and if Jones can ever get right, he'll also help. That will lift us from a six out of ten midfield to a 6.5 out of 10 midfield

Windhager is still very much in the development stage and is having the odd good quarter here and there. What his ceiling is....well, I have no idea. Could end up being another honest B grader, but I'd be happy to take that right now.

Out list manager and head recruiter have quite a challenge on their hands

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon quote: "Our midfield is spluttering."

The short term fix is:

Fit Clark
Fit Steele
Jones
Windhager +games
Owens

If we can get Steele back to 2020 form and Owens and Windy reach their potentia, we're good. Those are big 'ifs'. Even then we need a medium term replacement for Jones and Crouch.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

If Jones can get back on the park, what about a Sincs in the middle and Jones at HB?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I have already got Sincs in my starting mid, but yep. We have too many HBF types and bugger all midfielders.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who are our HBs that are AA quality?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Getting Steele right is an easy way to inject elite talent into the middle!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 03 Jul 2023 8:05pm Who are our HBs that are AA quality?
Definitely not Hak Jones (that's not a typo 8-) :wink: )

He's good at stoppages. That's his one wood. Both he and Gresh aren't the best at finding team mates by foot.

Sincs has to play more than 50% of the time as a mid. We need Webster, Stocker, Wilkie and a fit Nick Coffield (whenever that happens) to deliver the footy from HB.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Is it worth giving Stocker a run thru the midfield?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 7:35am Is it worth giving Stocker a run thru the midfield?
The reason he got delisted from Carlton (according to most people) is because he didn’t have the fitness and endurance to play midfield. They already had a wealth of half back flankers with Docherty, Saad, Zac Williams and this year they’re also playing Mitch McGovern off HBF

Saint2
Club Player

More like our midfield is not running hard enough, they start running after the opposition mid gets possession. As much to do with setups as it is to do with the players- I feel the midfield coaching could be better. A Steele of years gone by would be great, but it won't happen in reality, but at least he will have a go. Crouch is doing his role well, but not much coming through in midfield talent, so it will be a prolonged juggle of players to get the best result.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why anyone would think that Jack Steele can’t win another All Australian jacket. Some people have a very short memory.

Last year Jack missed 5 weeks with a serious injury. He still finished 3rd in the Best and Fairest. This year he broke his collar bone and has had some issues with his knee.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/xray- ... 7710c07db9

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2023- ... b9c345e94a

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:52am Not sure why anyone would think that Jack Steele can’t win another All Australian jacket. Some people have a very short memory.

Last year Jack missed 5 weeks with a serious injury. He still finished 3rd in the Best and Fairest. This year he broke his collar bone and has had some issues with his knee.

Mnn

Fair enough point, but Jack Steele has looked a shadow his former self IMO. Don't know why..Game is a shade faster than it was last year? Jack is a shade slower, tighter, more cautious?

Crouch is a goer, and giving it everything. If Crouch could be a bit more Luke Parker! He gets in there but can't weave his way out..If Ross could be a bit more Mitch Duncan! He get's to the places with great economy and sense, but then the slow and loopy disposal ! And if Hunter and Towball could get on the park and get moving!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saint2
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:52am Not sure why anyone would think that Jack Steele can’t win another All Australian jacket. Some people have a very short memory.

I know a couple of footy playing mates who had similar shoulder injuries to Steele, and although they recovered with screws and plates whatever, they say they were never going to go in as hard as before with the shoulder in tackles etc, and I reckon Jack is naturally using self-preservation..it's not worth wrecking your body.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 11:41am

Mnn

Fair enough point, but Jack Steele has looked a shadow his former self IMO. Don't know why..Game is a shade faster than it was last year? Jack is a shade slower, tighter, more cautious?

Crouch is a goer, and giving it everything. If Crouch could be a bit more Luke Parker! He gets in there but can't weave his way out..If Ross could be a bit more Mitch Duncan! He get's to the places with great economy and sense, but then the slow and loopy disposal ! And if Hunter and Towball could get on the park and get moving!
If …If….If…

I’ll give you an If.

If Jack Steele gets another AA jacket (making it 3 in total) that will put him in esteemed company. I’ll be calling him a champion and so will many other Saints supporters. Patrick Cripps just got his third last year. Some people starting writing Cripps off in 2021. Jack is still young

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:28am
Devilhead wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 7:35am Is it worth giving Stocker a run thru the midfield?
The reason he got delisted from Carlton (according to most people) is because he didn’t have the fitness and endurance to play midfield. They already had a wealth of half back flankers with Docherty, Saad, Zac Williams and this year they’re also playing Mitch McGovern off HBF
His running capacities dont look affected when playing on the small forwards, which often cover a lot of ground. I dont know what his GPS stats are, but I just had a look at some of the AFL Tracker stats and in the game against GWS he recorded the fastest sprint speed 32.8kph nearly 1 kph faster than any other player. Some players are perceptive in how much ground they cover and run smarter than others. You cant tell me his running is any worse than Gresham, Clark and Steele (whilst playing injured). The one thing he does have is a burst of speed and thats something we have desparately needed in the midfield.

Given how badly our midfield have fallen away, I'm astounded a player like Stocker who was recruited as a genuine ball winning midfielder hasnt been given an opportunity to do exactly that. Its just unimaginitive coaching IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not an overnight fix.

Would the likes of Parish and Whitfield help?

I think they are chasing a few.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Whitfield is not a mid and is 29

Parish is definitely a ball winner but is small and not a great user!

Are we looking to give up draft capital to secure a trade?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I hope not.

Prefer free agency and going to the draft.

There will be hot competition for free agents and going from history, I don’t like our chances in securing anyone decent.

https://apple.news/AIJonR0plRXeLiv_t0-QZDA

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are there even an decent free agents?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 5:54pm Are there even an decent free agents?
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ct_players

Drop down box at the top projects future years as well.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not much there

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Looks thin.

JDG would have been very handy. At least they had a decent go of trying to get him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

JDG would’ve been massive

Yes we went hard - sure we offered him $$$$$

Who’s ended up with that?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 4:07pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 10:28am
His running capacities dont look affected when playing on the small forwards, which often cover a lot of ground. I dont know what his GPS stats are, but I just had a look at some of the AFL Tracker stats and in the game against GWS he recorded the fastest sprint speed 32.8kph nearly 1 kph faster than any other player. Some players are perceptive in how much ground they cover and run smarter than others. You cant tell me his running is any worse than Gresham, Clark and Steele (whilst playing injured). The one thing he does have is a burst of speed and thats something we have desparately needed in the midfield.

Given how badly our midfield have fallen away, I'm astounded a player like Stocker who was recruited as a genuine ball winning midfielder hasnt been given an opportunity to do exactly that. Its just unimaginitive coaching IMO.

Go to 18:26 The paddy Ryder factor!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 04 Jul 2023 4:37pm Not an overnight fix.

Would the likes of Parish and Whitfield help?

I think they are chasing a few.
From some of the interviews I’ve heard it seems Parish is optimistic on Essendon’s prospects for next year and beyond

He doesn’t really want to leave Essendon and he’s publicly expressed a desire to stay.

Unless he has a falling out with his some of his team mates or the coaches, I don’t think we’e getting Parish.