The run home

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: The run home

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 2:00pm I reckon we will win 2 more

Giving us 11

Surprise Surprise

Same as 2022

Which was the coaches fault in 2022 but the players in 2023
Even if your prediction holds true, there's no comparison to last year. Just for a start we've had far more injuries, particularly to key players, than last year. Despite that, when we were crap last year, we got smashed. In our worst performance this year (excluding the 1st half against West Coast) against Brisbane (a Premiership contender). Despite a consistently bad 4 quarter performance, we were in the game until time on of the final quarter. We are definitely more consistent and competitive than last year, regardless of W/L.

We have done that with a number of kids with less than 20 games consistently in the team. Honestly would last year's team, without Paddy Ryder, be anywhere near 9-7 in this year's circumstances?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 4:16pm Do you want Pick 6-7, or pick 9-11 plus a game of finals experience for the whole list.

I'd take the second one every time.
Nup 6-7
Finals will come
Mids light on this drsft
IF 6-7 gets me in prime position to get 1 or trade up…I’m taking it
IF 6-7 was the difference between Owens v2 or lesser..I’m taking the pick
Plenty time finals experience
Of course no one knows …but that’s the point …

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 5:11pm

Giving us 11

Surprise Surprise

Same as 2022

Even if your prediction holds true, there's no comparison to last year. Just for a start we've had far more injuries, particularly to key players, than last year. Despite that, when we were crap last year, we got smashed. In our worst performance this year (excluding the 1st half against West Coast) against Brisbane (a Premiership contender). Despite a consistently bad 4 quarter performance, we were in the game until time on of the final quarter. We are definitely more consistent and competitive than last year, regardless of W/L.

We have done that with a number of kids with less than 20 games consistently in the team. Honestly would last year's team, without Paddy Ryder, be anywhere near 9-7 in this year's circumstances?
That’s right
That’s why looking at W/L in isolation is nonsense
As Lyon said it’s tough to compare seasons but from what I’ve season by our sheer competitiveness this year…
No comparison
Most pundits get that I think you’ll find if you listen to the experts
And you’re right …last year when we lost…,we really lost…

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 6:53pm

Giving us 11

Surprise Surprise

Same as 2022

That’s right
As Lyon said it’s tough to compare seasons but from what I’ve season by our sheer competitiveness this year…
No comparison
This is not a point about coaches but we are now hearing growing numbers of pundits questioning if we are performing worse than this same time last year.

Talk back radio today was not kind to numerous aspects of the team’s performance.

How are we going to attract players to the club if we continue to perform poorly year after year.

There always seems to be excuses.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 9:19pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 6:53pm

Giving us 11

Surprise Surprise

Same as 2022

That’s right
No comparison
This is not a point about coaches but we are now hearing growing numbers of pundits questioning if we are performing worse than this same time last year.

Talk back radio today was not kind to numerous aspects of the team’s performance.

How are we going to attract players to the club if we continue to perform poorly year after year.

There always seems to be excuses.
Nonsense
Stop calling in and taping your own calls
Mines just fine
Stars are in the draft 😎

“Yeah….nah””
lewdogs
Club Player

The reason we sacked Ratten and appointed Lyon was not about immediate results, it was identified that Ratten was failing to create an environment that would foster long term success.

Despite that we are clearly better than last year on the field and I am almost certain we will win more games than last year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

One finals appearance in 11 years and making the finals is irrelevant.

JFC

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 10:30pm The reason we sacked Ratten and appointed Lyon was not about immediate results, it was identified that Ratten was failing to create an environment that would foster long term success.

Despite that we are clearly better than last year on the field and I am almost certain we will win more games than last year.
Clearly?

Gee all those Saints supporters on talkback today claiming we are playing worse as well as several commenting on the brand of footy being on the nose would disagree.

Me personally I’m going to wait for a bigger sample size. This time next year and possibly even the end of 2025 as Lyon will have bad 2 more years to rebuild his list.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I don't know what people think just now, at this rather foreboding and gloomy juncture, as we seem to be balancing on a precipice, but players said they were glad to learn exactly what they should be doing earler in the year. It seems last year, that they seemed all at sea.

Now we have green legs that are clearly very green, and our old salts have gotten a bit more salty, so the drop off due to ageing has to be there...especially after a grueling pre-season. Mind you, we started very fit in '22 under Ratts.

We are in a better place, but I think we all fear a poor finish and some more embarrassing losses to lowly teams.

No Paddy Ryder is a huge loss.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d take a finals game and pick 10-12

Over a top 5 pick

A winning culture and astute drafting, trading and recruiting

That’s how you craft a winning list

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The side is better. Not sure how Ross is travelling though. Gig might be tougher than he anticipated.
Trouble is no one will ever know how Brett would have gone.
And whether the barstedry of renewing then how he was sacked - no matter how justified or logically correct - has created bad karma. The way Brett was dealt with seems the opposite of the Club motto.
It's a terrible shame Brett was reappointed prematurely.
Ross seems to have the confidence and commitment of the players but is having a heck of a time getting all to click for a whole game. Bit of fwd class might fix all ills. Breakout game for Matteus coming?
How is it Mitch's shot bounced backwards on the line or Max's snap against BNE and Pou's shot early last game were overturned on review. Small margins, bad luck? These little things can turn a season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 11:56pm
No Paddy Ryder is a huge loss.
Buckets Loewe, the G Train, or Plugger Lockett would be handy as well

Sorry Shane, but there's no point looking in the rear vision mirror (I've been guilty of doing that)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Look forward to Hayes returning then.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 10:30pm One finals appearance in 11 years and making the finals is irrelevant.

JFC
Reported for baiting.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 10:30pm The reason we sacked Ratten and appointed Lyon was not about immediate results, it was identified that Ratten was failing to create an environment that would foster long term success.

Well said
It’s the long game we are playing
Finals this year not the measure of success
Those seeking sugar hits better hit the lolly jar🤩
In Ross we trust
Bassatt signed him for 4 years - he gets it

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jul 2023 1:03pm Buckets Loewe, the G Train, or Plugger Lockett would be handy as well
Plugger could get a game this week if he was on the list.

sks023
Club Player

With five winnable games left it would be disappointing if they fail to make finals from here
Short term wins translates to long term success

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 12:03am
SaintPav wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 10:30pm One finals appearance in 11 years and making the finals is irrelevant.

JFC
Reported for baiting.
:roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If the boys bring Saturday night’s effort to every remaining game we are a very good chance of making the 8.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not if we continue to let opposition defenders dominate and control games

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:09am If the boys bring Saturday night’s effort to every remaining game we are a very good chance of making the 8.
Agreed. We're a bloody good team and we're not easy to play against.

Forget about lowering expectations. We're in the top 8 now and I believe we've earnt our position.

With most players available in August/September (apart from Max) that means the team will only get better

If Ross Lyon and St Kilda want a high performance culture there is no way they'd be content if we miss finals from here

For those trying to make excuses prior to the season playing out, they're fostering mediocrity and they're hypocrites if they were complaining about the same mediocrity under previous coaches

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 11:58am Not if we continue to let opposition defenders dominate and control games
That is concerning.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 7:30pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:09am If the boys bring Saturday night’s effort to every remaining game we are a very good chance of making the 8.
Agreed. We're a bloody good team and we're not easy to play against.

Forget about lowering expectations. We're in the top 8 now and I believe we've earnt our position.

With most players available in August/September (apart from Max) that means the team will only get better

If Ross Lyon and St Kilda want a high performance culture there is no way they'd be content if we miss finals from here

For those trying to make excuses prior to the season playing out, they're fostering mediocrity and they're hypocrites if they were complaining about the same mediocrity under previous coaches
We are in the 8 because of an anomaly that hasn't existed since the 60s whereby nearly every team below 4th spot is playing crap. We will not only miss the finals, we will slide dramatically. The quality of our list is the issue, it's why Lyon highlighted in his first press conference our salary cap is the same as Geelong's, except they won the flag. He was contracted to rebuild the list, our early season sugar hit masked over the mandate he was given.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He was contracted to rebuild the list
I wasn't aware that's why he was contracted. Most coaches who go through a rebuild phase don't last the journey.

The media were highlighting the fact that most coaches who come in for a rebuild get sacked sooner or later.

Come to think of it...Lyon was also given the arse from Freo while they were in final stages of their rebuild.

Is that why we were after De Goey last year? Is that why we picked up Cordy? I don't think the St Kilda members and the board have the patience to hang around. I don't think Ross will want to be experiencing what Adam Simpson is going through.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:00pm
He was contracted to rebuild the list
I wasn't aware that's why he was contracted. Most coaches who go through a rebuild phase don't last the journey.

The media were highlighting the fact that most coaches who come in for a rebuild get sacked sooner or later.

Come to think of it...Lyon was also given the arse from Freo while they were in final stages of their rebuild.

Is that why we were after De Goey last year? Is that why we picked up Cordy? I don't think the St Kilda members and the board have the patience to hang around. I don't think Ross will want to be experiencing what Adam Simpson is going through.
so when Lyon said in his first press conference we have the salary cap of Geelong but don't have the flag do you think he thought the list was only one or two players short of serious contending list. Rhetoric question I know, the list will look dramatically different in Lyons 3rd and 4th year. Blind man on a galloping horse will tell you we have only possibly 6-8 players capable of becoming players who could stand up in the final minutes of a GF.