Match Thread Saints v Roos Round 19 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Roos Round 19 2023

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 8:49pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 8:42pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 8:31pm A confidence sapping win

Another first for StKilda
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It was a shocker, but the RL haters will now need to admit that he is a bit better than Ratts who had the game in the bag, then lost the bag.
Thought Lyons move of Marshall forward
Owens mid
Changed the momentum tbh
He won’t get credited fir that by haters but that’s ok
Steele says after the game - they are not playing the way they want to or how they did start of year
That’s down to:
1. Skill execution- worst I’ve seen for sone time in Q1,2,3
2. Decision making - comedy hour watching people handball into others backs … professional AFL players…

Anyway, saved some embarrassment that’s about it
Deplorable win
22 scoring shots 69 points…WTF
We gave some of the worst users by foot in the league

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 10:38pm RTB had a huge pot at Docklands staff for the ground condition.

Can anyone at the game confirm?

- Wet seats
- Slippery and poor ground conditions
The roof was open when their was drizzle for about 2 hours around lunch time. Drizzle doesn't show up on the rain radar I have been told by the BOM.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall kicked 1 goal

Nothing short of Putrid today

Reason for the win

North worse - 4 direct turnovers in their d50

StK offence is dysfunctional - no structure

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 7:43pm
magnifisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 7:38pm Why is Caminiti playing. He is so far out of his depth it's not funny!
Well tell me why Gresham, Bytel, Jones, Phillipou and Sharman getting f****** games!!!
Phillipou had a great game. Don’t knock the kid down when he brought a lot of pressure today. Bytel is a dud. Scollop go eat s*** he’s not the answer at all. Bytel was super ordinary and did some dumb dink kicks that costed us turnovers.

Gresham can go. Been saying this from round 1. Glad to see the backside of him.

Jones and Sharman need to lift. Will agree with you there. But who’s pushing them out?

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 11:56pm Marshall kicked 1 goal

Reason for the win

Marshall putrid? Were you watching a different game?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 11:58pm Jones and Sharman need to lift. Will agree with you there. But who’s pushing them out?
No replacement for Jones at the moment.

Highmore could easily play on the intercept defender, the role Sharman is currently doing. I think we will find Cordy there next week though.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 12:01am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 11:58pm Jones and Sharman need to lift. Will agree with you there. But who’s pushing them out?
No replacement for Jones at the moment.

Highmore could easily play on the intercept defender, the role Sharman is currently doing. I think we will find Cordy there next week though.
I could see Hotton pushing Jones but he needs to go by foot more. I don’t know if it was the wet conditions today at AIA stand where Sandy played but he’s far from it. I agree, Jones stays.

OR we move Jones out, Windy takes his spot and Coffield comes back in. Coffield was huge today in the twos.

repta
Club Player

Nearly the worst standard of game that i have seen.

Skills are not lost and gained in weeks or months.
Skills are a reflection of poor understanding of game plan or game structure.

Ithe Saints were well structured and executed well up to half way through the Port game.
We can blame injuries. But we have the same players now as the start of the year. No King. No Membrey. Then why has the forward structure gone?

The skill execution was laughable at best. It went between flashy trash to ambivalent sludge.

repta
Club Player

Nearly the worst standard of game that i have seen.

Skills are not lost and gained in weeks or months.
Skills are a reflection of poor understanding of game plan or game structure.

Ithe Saints were well structured and executed well up to half way through the Port game.
We can blame injuries. But we have the same players now as the start of the year. No King. No Membrey. Then why has the forward structure gone?

The skill execution was laughable at best. It went between flashy trash to ambivalent sludge.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The woodmason

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintkev
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 11:56pm Marshall kicked 1 goal

Reason for the win

Coupled with the dysfunctional defensive efforts in the first three quarters.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 9:59pm Must bring in Heath to give Roma a chop out they can alternate between ruck and full forward. Midfield needs more pace Owens, Sincs and Windy are our best chance. Steele and Crouch still needed for the grunt work and maybe the odd cameo from Jones and Gresham but their disposal and decision making is atrocious.
Gresham was at centre bounce 3 times for zero centre clearances

Owens was in at centre bounces 5 times for zero centre clearances

Sinclair was in 6 times for 1 centre clearance

Zak Jones...in 13 times for zero centre clearances :? :shock:

Crouch was in at centre bounces a whopping 18 times for a return of just 2 centre clearances.

The guy who was the most effective at centre clearances (based on his opportunity to impact - i.e ratio of times attended to clearance won) was the guy that was the least used at centre bounces.

Jack Bytel was in there twice and got 1 clearance :D

I wouldn't be bringing in Heath or Campbell unless Hawthorn decide to play both Meek and Reeves.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Oops 😬

I didn’t mean Marshall was putrid, I was pointing out he kicked 1 goal!

The team was putrid

Ball movement was embarrassing- has been for 3 months or more

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 5:27am
BadRossco wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 9:59pm Must bring in Heath to give Roma a chop out they can alternate between ruck and full forward. Midfield needs more pace Owens, Sincs and Windy are our best chance. Steele and Crouch still needed for the grunt work and maybe the odd cameo from Jones and Gresham but their disposal and decision making is atrocious.

Crouch was in at centre bounces a whopping 18 times for a return of just 2 centre clearances.

The guy who was the most effective at centre clearances (based on his opportunity to impact - i.e ratio of times attended to clearance won) was the guy that was the least used at centre bounces.

I wouldn't be bringing in Heath or Campbell unless Hawthorn decide to play both Meek and Reeves.
Scollop - incorrect.

Bytel was there for 9 CBAs. He had a total of 2 clearances but they weren’t from the middle. From half back, and resulted in turnovers.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Reading back over this thread after the game, its evident that some on here couldn't hide their glee when it looked like we were going to lose the game. Which is such a petty loser mentality.

Kudos to Ratten, he knew we were out of form, down on confidence and that enormous pressure would make life difficult for us. He also had LDU in scintillating form.

We started well but fell to pieces when Hill went off. Again we didn't adapt to wet conditions, albeit unexpected. Yet the biggest problem was our defensive running, we just didn't run hard and fast enough when we didn't have the footy. We had the same old kicking into 50 problem we've had all year, although that was rectified in the final quarter. Hopefully it continues.

We took control of the game in the third quarter but missed most of our opportunities, we should've been ahead at 3 qtr time. The final quarter was better and reasonably good.

To those criticising Caminitti during the game, a 19 year old kid who hasn't even had a full pre-season. Not a bad clutch goal in that final quarter hey? A huge goal in fact. Both he and Sharman struggled to get into the game, but worked and persisted and when they got their opportunity kicked vital goals that were difficult.

When North kicked the goal putting them 17 points up late in the third and Ratten punched the air, I thought to myself "we've got this". As if Ross was going to die wondering and not do something different in the last.

He wouldn't have anticipated that Ross would move Marshall forward as we would have been smashed at centre stoppages where North were already on top. North would have run away with it. Who could blame him, completely logical. What he wouldn't have expected was Marshall contesting centre bounces and then running forward, whilst Owens played as an extra midfielder.

That move and a decent improvement in decision making and skill, won us the game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 10:13am

Scollop - incorrect.

Bytel was there for 9 CBAs. He had a total of 2 clearances but they weren’t from the middle. From half back, and resulted in turnovers.
Do you like to fabricate your own personal match statistics do you?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 2:25pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 10:13am

Scollop - incorrect.

Do you like to fabricate your own personal match statistics do you?
No need to fabricate how good Crouch was yesterday…😂
It’s ok….it’s been a long year ..we get it everyone can make a bad call or 6 under pressure

“Yeah….nah””