Do we need to extend Lyons contract now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Do we need to extend Lyons contract now?

It’s a serious question
We have major list/re-build work required and with a poor draft this year and Tassie coming …..will the great man need longer to destruct and reconstruct our brittle, fragile list????
He’s good but can’t work miracles
I think he’ll need at least another 2-3

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we need to extend Lyons contract now?

At 57 he’ll coach into his 60s

He’ll be the longest serving coach without a flag in history!

Rebuild

Doesn’t work…

You just continually build!

Sydney has rebuilt since 95
Geelong since 2003
Richmond since 2012

Teams the have, had absolutely no guarantee of success

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's 3 more years of 'exploration' from the St Kilda board is how I see it. 😎

Let's see how he handles himself

I think you can start negotiating in June 2025 for sure

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Why not just hold off for a bit. See if the side can win two in a row. Maybe not lose three in a row. Set our standards high where Ross would expect them.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Contracts are for mortals.

Let the guy write his own ticket and negotiate his own terms.

10 years minimum.

Make it happen Mr Seek.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:32pm Why not just hold off for a bit. See if the side can win two in a row. Maybe not lose three in a row. Set our standards high where Ross would expect them.
Didn’t we just win 2 in a row before the weekend??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:36pm Contracts are for mortals.

Let the guy write his own ticket and negotiate his own terms.

10 years minimum.

Make it happen Mr Seek.
That’s the spirit 👍

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:02pm At 57 he’ll coach into his 60s

Rebuild

Doesn’t work…

Geelong since 2003
Richmond since 2012

Really?
Why haven’t those sides bottomed out???
Let’s see …..sone handy father son acquisitions???
Whose had an academy that’s been untouchable for years ???
We aren’t so lucky as a boutique club
Think you’ll find out last bottom out / rebuild yielded our best success in decades
Topping up has certainly failed …
Either way I think you’re saying what I’m saying
Ross needs more time

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This from BF (thanks Pav) interesting..should trigger a few…

bit of a summary from what I just caught from RTB on SEN

Owens is one of the most competitive players he has seen at this level. His second and third efforts, and his level of keeping his eye on the ball are as good as any player he has seen.
Big fan of Caminitti - his contested work inside 50 rivals that of many 6-7 year players and what he's doing shouldn't be understated. Thinks he's an massive kid
Reminded them that Phillipou is 4 days away from being in the u/18s this year and that he's had impact on games that is similar to what he saw from Brayshaw and Cerra at the same point.
Rates Sinclair, Wilkie highly, and wants to build the midfield around Jack Steele as Seb and Brad Crouch are running out of years.
Our strategy will be to go to the draft and add to the core of Mitch, Pou NWN, Windhager, Caminitti etc. Spoke about clubs getting lucky in trades ala Fremantle with Weller. Get the impression we're trading some established players.

Ross is a clever man, he knows what to say, and what to not say. I'd take from it that someone like Marshall might be gettable in his eyes (for the right price), and that all of Gresham, Clark, Billings, Membrey could be moved if there's a buyer that helps us get a higher pick.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:55pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:32pm Why not just hold off for a bit. See if the side can win two in a row. Maybe not lose three in a row. Set our standards high where Ross would expect them.
That's right, we fluked a win against the team challenging for the spoon in the last couple minutes when Higgins shinned one through ... And then the umpire stopped LDU in his tracks as he was sprinting towards the north goals.

The board and the coaches should explore more of that Hawks game the following week

Great effort and great game by the players in Round 20 against Hawthorn. They really enjoyed their footy in that game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 12:24am This from BF (thanks Pav) interesting..should trigger a few…

Owens is one of the most competitive players he has seen at this level. His second and third efforts, and his level of keeping his eye on the ball are as good as any player he has seen.
Big fan of Caminitti - his contested work inside 50 rivals that of many 6-7 year players and what he's doing shouldn't be understated. Thinks he's an massive kid
Reminded them that Phillipou is 4 days away from being in the u/18s this year and that he's had impact on games that is similar to what he saw from Brayshaw and Cerra at the same point.
Rates Sinclair, Wilkie highly, and wants to build the midfield around Jack Steele as Seb and Brad Crouch are running out of years.
Our strategy will be to go to the draft and add to the core of Mitch, Pou NWN, Windhager, Caminitti etc. Spoke about clubs getting lucky in trades ala Fremantle with Weller. Get the impression we're trading some established players.

Ross is a clever man, he knows what to say, and what to not say. I'd take from it that someone like Marshall might be gettable in his eyes (for the right price), and that all of Gresham, Clark, Billings, Membrey could be moved if there's a buyer that helps us get a higher pick.
Gee...that goes against your way of thinking Teffers. Seems Marshall out. Steele stays

Good call - bad call? Let me guess...if Ross says trade Marshall, then it's a good idea

Anyway. Keep pasting/posting :mrgreen: those BF opinions. They're really insightful
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 08 Aug 2023 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 12:24am This from BF (thanks Pav) interesting..should trigger a few…

Tony76 alluded to the fact that we may be shopping one of our bigger names. Could be Marshall.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Trade Marshall?

What a great idea…for him.

He might be able to join the growing hall of fame list of ruckmen we have traded out and who went on to get premiership medallions at other clubs.

Of course we got something useful in exchange for Big Boy and Stanley, didn’t we? Although I can’t remember WTF it was right now.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: trading out good quality established players for draft picks or list top ups sucks as a strategy. It’s a gamble which potentially leaves us in a weaker position while having a damaging effect on team morale

Sure, Marshall for someone like DeGoey works for me. Marshall for Paddy Dow and pick 15 not so much.

Lyon’s best strategy is to keep developing the players we’ve already got.
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 08 Aug 2023 7:24am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If you want to look at Geelong for a model:

- sure, they had some luck with father-son and the draft, but they also patiently developed their playing list rather than go crazy endlessly trading players in and out
- they have stuck with their coaches through thick and thin. In 2006, they missed the finals, but stuck with Bomber. We made the finals and would have made the top 4 if the AFL hadn’t taken 2 points off us, and we sacked the coach. Then they stuck fast with Scott through some pretty lean times too
- they have attracted free agents to their club wirh a lifestyle package based on their region. Well, the bayside is a pretty nice area in which to live: have we done all we can with that?

It’s not time for a major rebuild. A bit of refining of the list plus giving Lyon time to teach the players his system should be enough: if not for another flag (which no strategy can guarantee), at least for a period of sustained finals appearances.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It can’t be Marshall or Steele because we have no like for like.

It’s most likely Tim.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No we will wait till he has coached the most games without a flag and get the girl that jumps out of the cake to hand him the pen and new contract as his gift!

OP is a TROLL, unfortunately we are struggling for mods at the moment.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I have felt for some time that the current business AFL model is prohibitive to innovation especially for poor clubs like ours.

A lot of what impacts us starts in the Fox studios, (Hello Nick), in particular the coach centric management cycle and having lists sizes that squeeze into only 23 spots.

Ross has his competency’s especially in the area of process driven outcomes and man management, he also has is weakness’s including creativity and talent identification which is usually the case if you leverage hard from process driven outcomes.

I tend to think 4 years for a management system to be anchored to a single person in an organisation is problematic which is coming back to my point about the issues associated with the AFL business model.

In concept I believe a much longer term could be worth consideration, and then look at Ross spending more time away from the club and on the road with the recruitment department searching for talent in unique places and have the trust that Enright, Harves and Hayes can run the place.

After all if your are a process guy and you have developed and implemented your “system” and then hand picked the staff to execute, shouldn’t the place be cable of a little autonomy in your absence.

Anyway yeah not an endorsement of Ross perse but more an idea of short term management cycles being one of the bigger issues which is directly linked to the other area I believe is the biggest issue, and that is our ability to procure a critical mass of talent.

One issue might help the other issue.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:58pm

Rebuild

Doesn’t work…

Geelong since 2003
Richmond since 2012

Really?
Think you’ll find out last bottom out / rebuild yielded our best success in decades
Ross needs more time
I agree about our last bottom-out period was our most successful. However, the flipside of that is the bottom out that Carlton engineered (not the salary cap cheating era - after that). That set their club back at least a decade. You can't go all scorched earth - that doesn't work at all.

Go you red, black & white warriors
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

After last season's "extension" for Ratten......and it's aftermath, if I were Ross Lyon I'd just keep trying to produce some consistency of results....WINNING results that is! :wink:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 10:06am
Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:58pm

Rebuild

Doesn’t work…

Geelong since 2003
Richmond since 2012

Really?
Ross needs more time
I agree about our last bottom-out period was our most successful. However, the flipside of that is the bottom out that Carlton engineered (not the salary cap cheating era - after that). That set their club back at least a decade. You can't go all scorched earth - that doesn't work at all.
Actually you can go all scorched earth if you are lucky with who you draft.
Look at Melbourne their premiership was completely based on high draft picks and being a basket case for a significant period of time.
What doesn't work is floating around the middle of the pack when you aren't the desirable destination for all free agents.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:57pm It’s a serious question
We have major list/re-build work required and with a poor draft this year and Tassie coming …..will the great man need longer to destruct and reconstruct our brittle, fragile list????
Simple answer......NO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 1:05am

Gee...that goes against your way of thinking Teffers. Seems Marshall out. Steele stays

Good call - bad call? Let me guess...if Ross says trade Marshall, then it's a good idea

Anyway. Keep pasting/posting :mrgreen: those BF opinions. They're really insightful
Insightful? A kid with half a brain could have said that. Talk about the bleeding obvious.

ps Only a fool would think about trading Marshall.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 10:46am
Simple answer......NO.
Simple…
I’d expect nothing less…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 1:00am
Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:55pm
That's right, we fluked a win against the team challenging for the spoon in the last couple minutes when Higgins shinned one through ... And then the umpire stopped LDU in his tracks as he was sprinting towards the north goals.

The board and the coaches should explore more of that Hawks game the following week

Great effort and great game by the players in Round 20 against Hawthorn. They really enjoyed their footy in that game.
So when we win we fluke it?
When we lose burn Ross Lyon?
Your hatred knows no bounds …😂
Lucky it’s blatantly obvious for all to see
All you’ve got to do now is drop the charade you’re trying to be “objective”
🤣

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 11:16am
saynta wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 10:46am
Simple answer......NO.
Simple…
I’d expect nothing less…
Someone posted that the OP was a troll.....and it is,....a f****** silly troll at that .