Ross Lyon’s year of experimentation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon’s year of experimentation

I doubt Marshall will be the sole ruckman next year.

When Ross Lyon succeeded Grant Thomas, who for reasons best kown to himself but no-one else decided the team could go all the way wthout a gun ruckman, Lyon couldn't wait to scour the available experienced talent to secure two solid ruckmen in Michael Gardiner and Steven King. It gladdened our hearts and paid big dividends!

You can bet your bottom dollar he will do the same thing again in the post season - my tip is that he'll entice Andrew Phillips (GWS, Carlton, Essendon) out of retirement and wear the RWB next year, he's been in outstanding form this year but with Sam Draper and Nick Bryan plus Peter Wright the Bombers would probably not give him much of a go in 2024.

This will allow extra time to continue the development of Max Heath until he's ready to play in the seniors.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 3:57pm I doubt Marshall will be the sole ruckman next year.

When Ross Lyon succeeded Grant Thomas, who for reasons best kown to himself but no-one else decided the team could go all the way wthout a gun ruckman, Lyon couldn't wait to scour the available experienced talent to secure two solid ruckmen in Michael Gardiner and Steven King. It gladdened our hearts and paid big dividends!

You can bet your bottom dollar he will do the same thing again in the post season - my tip is that he'll entice Andrew Phillips (GWS, Carlton, Essendon) out of retirement and wear the RWB next year, he's been in outstanding form this year but with Sam Draper and Nick Bryan plus Peter Wright the Bombers would probably not give him much of a go in 2024.

This will allow extra time to continue the development of Max Heath until he's ready to play in the seniors.
Is Phillips any better than Campbell as a backup or second ruckman?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

What is the situation with Brodie Grundy?
It seems that Melbourne don’t really have a spot for him in their best… Could we buy him out of his contract with Melbourne? Would Melbourne let home go? Even if they have decided he’ll be a Casey Case? Would he be a good compliment to Holla the Field Marshall?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 16 Aug 2023 4:28pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 16 Aug 2023 4:19pm People are still annoyed with him deceiving St Kilda and walking to Fremantle. I don't think it was a great act.
I agree with you, and I'm still annoyed with what he did and how he did it. Just as I am with what Luke Ball did and how he did it.
BUT Lyon's been appointed our Coach and I think it's pretty obvious that under him we've improved this year. So I can give him credit for that as I'm only interested in us improving.
I was annoyed for years myself. Then I hears Ross speak briefly about on the radio from Perth. This is of course his view, but what other source do we have? Rumours?

He said to the effect; I had asked Netts for sit downs regarding my contract & going after talent...but they kept saying let's just wait. I felt the door closing so I accepted an offer to give my family security.

The interviewer said everyone was told the board was offering a new contract the night you resigned. Ross said, that's what they say now. Again the interviewer asked about the secrecy & not telling Craig Kelly. Ross just replied that he wanted a decision based on his family not negotiations, whatever the hell that meant.

I truly believe we were going to cut Ross loose & he believed the same...if hos manager was really negotiating a sweet 4 yr deal that was about to happen, it makes zero sense.

This was on Triple M during the finals. They'd just beat Geelong in 2013 I think it was. Maybe someone can find the interview?
It swayed me. He seemed pretty genuine that he wanted to stay & St Kilda was looking to move him along.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IIRC
The Club and Craig Kelly had arranged a press conference to announce the deal
It was cancelled after news broke that he’d signed with Freo
I’m pretty sure StKilda believed Kelly was authorised to deal on Lyon’s behalf
Kelly’s other coach client Mark Harvey was also blindsided by Freo

I reckon there’s some revisionist history here, but it doesn’t change my position
Lyon is our coach this season and I believe we’ve improved since last season

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 6:24pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 16 Aug 2023 4:19pm People are still annoyed….

He said to the effect; I had asked Netts for sit downs regarding my contract & going after talent...but they kept saying let's just wait. I felt the door closing so I accepted an offer to give my family security.

And this is the chicken and egg conundrum

I was one of the vocal posters who protested the Ratts re-signing of mid-season. ‘Wait until the end of the season’ I protested.

But Ratts and his manager were pushing for early signing.

We did a job on him.
Lyon did a job on us.
That’s how it goes.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 4:30pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 3:57pm I doubt Marshall will be the sole ruckman next year.

At AFL level.

IMO

Marshall is an A grade ruck (would be A+ with better ruck work)

Phillips is a B grade to B+ ruck.

Campbell a C grade to C+ ruck

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Grundy will be going cheap for '24. Poor man's Jack Hayes by then. Ah the challenge he would pose. If you don't have enough already, of course.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

We did a job on him.
Lyon did a job on us.
That’s how it goes.
this is true

ross impressed me then
(and still now)
with how he executed ... the deed

that leaves 'Netters' to take his seat on the catapult

(wound to extra tight ... for more thinking time)

where is he now ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 7:00pm

I was one of the vocal posters who protested the Ratts re-signing of mid-season. ‘Wait until the end of the season’ I protested.

We did a job on him.
Lyon did a job on us.
That’s how it goes.
Yeah, it's hard to know what really goes on behind closed doors. I don't know that Ross was being purely transparent back in 2013 lol ...but did he really have much to lose by saying it?
Maybe his scenario was true....It sounded like he was saying he felt he had only a few days before he was fired & didn't want to leave his fate in anyone else's hands so he rang Freo himself knowing they were one of 4 clubs that had approached Craig Kelly, so he hauled azz out there and was their coach in less than 48 hrs.
Either way it was bad because he didnt trust Nettleford or Craig Kelly anymore. Maybe they WERE going to accept or present an offer...maybe Ross read it wrong. Contrast this 2013 story with this...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 0cc7c54bbb

Jump to 2022...
I guess at the time maybe Ross factored again...but into the Ratts deal? Maybe they thought we have a coach who has the group firing, we can't afford to lose him at years end. So sign him now.

But...in the firing of the Ratt for a Lyon...
Who approached who in the reincarnation of the King of the Jungle?
Did he roar or did we poke him with the honey stick?

Know...Dont I do.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Nope.

Saint supporter since '62
Sanctorum
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 10:14pm

Nope.
Come on Trev.....you obviously haven't been watching Phillips like I have, he's had an outstanding season, in many games carrying the ruck burden in Draper's absence. He has a great leap, taps to advantage and goes back or forward as required with telling marks. Campbell's a plodder in comparison and nowhere near as talented.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 8:44pm

We did a job on him.
Lyon did a job on us.
That’s how it goes.
Yeah, it's hard to know what really goes on behind closed doors. I don't know that Ross was being purely transparent back in 2013 lol ...but did he really have much to lose by saying it?
Maybe his scenario was true....It sounded like he was saying he felt he had only a few days before he was fired & didn't want to leave his fate in anyone else's hands so he rang Freo himself knowing they were one of 4 clubs that had approached Craig Kelly, so he hauled azz out there and was their coach in less than 48 hrs.
Either way it was bad because he didnt trust Nettleford or Craig Kelly anymore. Maybe they WERE going to accept or present an offer...maybe Ross read it wrong. Contrast this 2013 story with this...

Jump to 2022...
I guess at the time maybe Ross factored again...but into the Ratts deal? Maybe they thought we have a coach who has the group firing, we can't afford to lose him at years end. So sign him now.

Know...Dont I do.
I find it hard to believe that RTB went from 2nd, 2nd and 6th and really thought he was going to be fired with a year on his contract.

As far as the return goes… I have no doubt that the availability and willingness of RTB influenced the sacking of Ratts.

There is absolutely no way they sack a coach that they JUST signed without a perceived better option on the table

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Both good coaches IMHFO.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 4:15pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 8:44pm

We did a job on him.
Lyon did a job on us.
That’s how it goes.

Jump to 2022...

Know...Dont I do.
I find it hard to believe that RTB went from 2nd, 2nd and 6th and really thought he was going to be fired with a year on his contract.

As far as the return goes… I have no doubt that the availability and willingness of RTB influenced the sacking of Ratts.

There is absolutely no way they sack a coach that they JUST signed without a perceived better option on the table
Certainly seems more feasiable RTB knew our list & saw a dive comin so he jumped ship quickly. Which stinks. But it was smart.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t it reported at the time that he had a financial setback and Freo offered more money for 5 years?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 5:32pm Wasn’t it reported at the time that he had a financial setback and Freo offered more money for 5 years?
Yep. Nothing wrong with your memory. :wink:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 3:07pm

Nope.
Come on Trev.....you obviously haven't been watching Phillips like I have, he's had an outstanding season, in many games carrying the ruck burden in Draper's absence. He has a great leap, taps to advantage and goes back or forward as required with telling marks. Campbell's a plodder in comparison and nowhere near as talented.
What on earth have you been thinking? Watching Essendon!!!

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 7:36pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 3:07pm

Nope.
LOL. there are some teams I would never watch.

The druggies, Freo and Port for starters.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 7:36pm
Haha....I watch a fair few games and don't hold any strong dislikes for any particular team, it's just a matter of getting to know which players are 'up and about'. Like yesterday I was motivated to watch some of the Port v Freo game in order to see how Liam Henry performed as he's been mentioned as possibly coming to Moorabbin next year. He played really well....

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 6:58pm IIRC

I reckon there’s some revisionist history here, but it doesn’t change my position
The problem is, that aborted Press Conference should have been happening at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011 at the latest.

Nettlefold was an arse-clown and Westaway disinterested. They tried to low ball Lyon and maybe were pushing him out. In the end Lyon did what any bloke with self respect should do.

Its amazing that many have bitterness towards Lyon over that fiasco, whilst Westaway and Nettlefold and their clown show don't rate a mention. They're spectacular incompetence in losing our best Coach since Jeans coming on the back of the inspired move to Seaford.

Then they proceeded to hire Watters over Hinkley, then Richo over 'Choco' Williams.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 2:09pm

The problem is, that aborted Press Conference should have been happening at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011 at the latest.

Nettlefold was an arse-clown and Westaway disinterested. They tried to low ball Lyon and maybe were pushing him out. In the end Lyon did what any bloke with self respect should do.

Its amazing that many have bitterness towards Lyon over that fiasco, whilst Westaway and Nettlefold and their clown show don't rate a mention. They're spectacular incompetence in losing our best Coach since Jeans coming on the back of the inspired move to Seaford.

Then they proceeded to hire Watters over Hinkley, then Richo over 'Choco' Williams.
I have no knowledge of what transpired other than what I recall was reported at the time.
Maybe the truth lies somewhere between the 2 POVs?
All I can remember is at the time it appeared as if Lyon went behind the backs of StKilda and his management and did a deal (via a solicitor) with Freo.

None of this though matters today as he's our Coach and I want him to succeed.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 5:17pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 2:09pm

I have no knowledge of what transpired other than what I recall was reported at the time.
Maybe the truth lies somewhere between the 2 POVs?
All I can remember is at the time it appeared as if Lyon went behind the backs of StKilda and his management and did a deal (via a solicitor) with Freo.

You could be right. These are the undisputed facts:

We didn't discuss his contract at the end of 2010 after appearing in the previous 2 Grand Finals.

When he asked the Club to initiate negotiations in early 2011, the Club put the negotiations off.

When the Club finally made its offer, after Lyon had knocked back Melbourne and Freo had made him an offer, they finally offered him what he'd asked for early in 2011. Unfortunately, far too late.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 5:17pm

Some others on here could take a leaf out of your book

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 12:28pm
Mr Magic wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 10:29am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 1:13am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 18 Aug 2023 12:29am
B.M wrote: Thu 17 Aug 2023 6:51pm We’re we better with Ryder and Marshall

Than Solo Marshall in 2019
And Solo Marshall this season

And if so, why?

Both had different strengths as ruckmen- but only one could ruck at a time?

They both were average forwards and preferred playing ruck

Gawn and Grundy doesn’t work
Darcy and Jackson doesn’t work

All 4 (like Marshall) prefer the #1 mantle and 80+ percent in the ruck!
We are categorically better with Marshall as sole ruck. Ryder Marshall combo was disastrous for us in 2021 and 2022.

Can't we make Marshall a tall mid and get a quality tap ruckman?

Isn't that Owens role when he goes into the middle?
Marshall is mobile for his height but I don’t think starting him in centre bounces as a stand alone mid would work as the opposition mids are more agile and quicker.

If we did get a good tap ruckman, trying him on a wing would be interesting.
Edit
Last edited by Brunswicksainter on Tue 22 Aug 2023 12:25am, edited 1 time in total.