not enough dept in KPD to trade Dougal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

not enough dept in KPD to trade Dougal

If we did trade Dougal this season that would be a grave mistake.

What do we do if we trade Dougal this season and Battle who is out of contract next season decides to go we are in real trouble I am not confident in Keeping Battle we did offer him a 3 year deal but he only wanted 2.

It could be a real concern especially if we are unable to trade for one.

Look what happened last time we were thin in the KPD when we had Battle injured and the Dougal out we had Joyce in with Willkie taking 200cm+Forwareds we got smashed.

Now we only have Cordy in that role, and he is 195cm with no young guys coming through.

We have Van es but he was injured for the last part of last season and for the time he did play either played forward or got beaten in the VFL.

Keeler is a forward and is struggling did have Adams in his second year but he got delisted which was strange considering he got some positive writeups by the VFL coaches quiet a few times.

Highmore is not a KPD he has been tried there at AFL level and was terrible turns the ball over a lot at both AFL and VFL.

I know all the focus is on Mids. Mids. Mids. but KPP are very important as well.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: not enough dept in KPD to trade Dougal

Saints58 wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 2:57pm If we did trade Dougal this season that would be a grave mistake.

What do we do if we trade Dougal this season and Battle who is out of contract next season decides to go we are in real trouble I am not confident in Keeping Battle we did offer him a 3 year deal but he only wanted 2.

Look what happened last time we were thin in the KPD when we had Battle injured and the Dougal out we had Joyce in with Willkie taking 200cm+Forwareds we got smashed.

Now we only have Cordy in that role, and he is 195cm with no young guys coming through.

We have Van es but he was injured for the last part of last season and for the time he did play either played forward or got beaten in the VFL.

Keeler is a forward and is struggling did have Adams in his second year but he got delisted which was strange considering he got some positive writeups by the VFL coaches quiet a few times.

Highmore is not a KPD he has been tried there at AFL level and was terrible turns the ball over a lot at both AFL and VFL.

I know all the focus is on Mids. Mids. Mids. but KPP are very important as well.
Keeler missed the preseason and came on in round 5 after recovering from surgery.

He played 12 games, averaged 10D, 3M, 1TK, 2 HO and 1.1. Hardly struggling.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Need to keep Dougs.

You would have to doubt he’s on the table.

Isn’t he better than Ben McKay?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

There aren't enough alternatives available to trade out Howard, mores the pity.
AFL quality talls coming through the system seem to be a real problem.

If it's a trend Highmore might have a chance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Pretty sad even trading him has been discussed. Not his best the last two years but pretty good before that.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
SaintWiki
Club Player

Dougal is criticized immensely on this forum when he plays but the backline is nowhere near as strong when he isn't. Callum can't do everything and we only have one of him.

Saints58
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 8:15pm
Saints58 wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 2:57pm If we did trade Dougal this season that would be a grave mistake.

Keeler missed the preseason and came on in round 5 after recovering from surgery.

Keeler is a key forward/ruck not a KPD stats can lie I saw at least 10 games he played in and he looked very slow and at times disinterested, there was a bit of a knock on him from Adelaide about him being a bit lazy.I really hope he proves me wrong as I like him but if he doesn't do better next season sos will delist him and van es judging on what happened this year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 10:21am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 8:15pm

Keeler is a key forward/ruck not a KPD stats can lie I saw at least 10 games he played in and he looked very slow and at times disinterested, there was a bit of a knock on him from Adelaide about him being a bit lazy.I really hope he proves me wrong as I like him but if he doesn't do better next season sos will delist him and van es judging on what happened this year.
Fair enough.

I've had a close connection for while and was aware of his ruck/forward year in the under 18's where, when moved onto the ball after being pigeon holed at FF, he put to rest any doubts on his attitude, averaging 17.9 disposals, 4.2 marks, 3.3 clearances 8 hitouts and 3.1 inside 50s from his 15 matches.

Looking forward to the kid getting a decent preseason and sharing the load with Heath next year as a ruck/forward combo.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think the Saints wanted to trade Dougal, but as he is contracted he didnt want to leave as is his right. Be interested to see what changes next year if Cordy can improve his fitness and strength he might go past Dougal.